Saint Mary's College of California Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Saint Mary's College of California

ELIZABETH

its really nice!

Alexa

Saint Mary's College is a very diverse group of students who regularly participate in protests and encourage others to join. Although the food is lacking, the class sizes of typically no more than thirty students and the supportive professors make up for it. The stereotype about college professors is they don't care whether their students pass because they are getting paid either way. However, this is not true of Saint Mary's. The professors go out of their way to ensure their students succeed, often extending office hours and staying on campus late to accommodate students' needs. The dorms here are also pretty spacious, and the school does a great job of matching up roommates. You will rarely hear of roommate problems because everyone is so friendly and eager to meet new people. If you are looking for a small school with a tight-knit community within an hour from a big city, but far enough away from the hustle and bustle of city life, then Saint Mary's College of California is the perfect fit for you.

Monica

Saint Mary's College of California is a beautiful, spacious campus. You never feel as if the campus is crowded or too noisy. We are very big on basketball; we do not have a football team which is very disappointing. Parking is reasonable and the staff here is great. The staff really wants everyone to succeed and there are programs to help you do so. Even with all these great aspects of this college, there are some downfalls. This school claims to be diverse, but as a minority I feel otherwise and so do many others. This school also claims to be a sanctuary place, but what are they really doing to put that into effect? Not much. As well as the lack of diversity within the student body, there is a lack within the staff. As a Latina is it very hard for me to be encouraged to succeed when a majority of the Hispanic/ Latino staff are mainly service workers: cleaning and cooking. I would love to see that change, starting with hiring more minority professors; otherwise the school discourages not only me, but the rest of the minorities on campus.

I fell in love with the campus initially. By the end of my freshman year, I was regularly active in clubs and other activities where I have made many friends. The political climate feels like a good balance of Republicans and Democrats or conservatives and liberals, as students have be able to protest in peace without significant backlash. Sports is a big part of the culture, but I don't go to basketball games. The food is a hit or miss. I think I would appreciate Saint Mary's more if all of the stores in Moraga didn't close so early, or actually provided good food for us as an off-campus option. Off-campus housing doesn't exist, but it is fairly easy to find apartments nearby. Overall, there are flaws in the town and the school that are very minor, but I still don't regret enrolling here.

Tahlia

As I entered the school on the beautiful street called St. Mary's Rd., I instantly felt at home. Walking through campus, the fresh air from the surrounding trees engulfed my lungs. In the classroom, I am blessed by staff that cares for me deeply as an individual making my experience exemplary thus far. Despite the absence of Greek life on campus, friends are made easily through the dozens of clubs and groups available to us. Last Tuesday I have to say was a day I will never forget. We gathered in our gym, Gael gear from head to toe, and watched our school beat our rivalry college of Gonzaga. As we cheered and threw people in the air full of excitement and anticipation, I realized how happy I was with attending St. Mary's College of California, even if it meant eating subpar cafeteria food for the next four years.

Shalaya

I graduated from SMC after 4 years with a degree in Experimental/Neuropsychology and a minor in Theology and Religious Studies. The department offered a rigorous program, which challenged students to reach their fullest potential. After graduation, I got a job and decided to head back to college once again to take pre-health courses, which added 3 years to my college experience. Class sizes are small with typically 8-14 students enrolled in each course (no more than 30 students for the highest-demand courses). The professors are always available to help the students, providing the most valuable help you can possibly get. There are multiple tutoring centers, which are free of charge and easily accessible. SMC offers a wide range of study abroad opportunities, my favorite being January Term. During this one month term, students can get internships, study abroad, or stay on campus.

Saint Mary's is a quiet, safe, beautiful campus. My professors have always responded to my emails within 24 hours. They are always available to meet outside of class. It was easy to sign up for the classes I needed. My major, elementary education, has a great program with amazing opportunities to do field work within the first year. Sports are a big thing on campus but it is not everything. Weekends are usually quiet and a bit boring, as everyone who lives locally goes home on the weekend. There is plenty to do in the surrounding cities, as you can use public transportation straight from campus. I feel extremely safe on campus as well. Public Safety is always patrolling around campus and they check every car entering campus to make sure they are supposed to be there. Saint Mary's has been the best fit for me!

Allison

I am a first year student at Saint Mary's College of California and I am excited to start here in the fall. I chose this school because of the academics and the involvement on campus. I am very happy to call Saint Mary's College of California my home for the next four years.

Derick

Saint Mary's is a college of culturally diverse students. It's extremely satisfying to hear stories from people who have come from different states and countries. The location is beautiful as it is surrounded with much vegetation. You'll notice a very calm atmosphere throughout all campus along with small classes which typically average about 15-20 students per class. The small classes are my favorite thing here at Saint Mary's, as it allows me to create a strong 1-on-1 relationship with my professors.

Amy

Its just great - small diverse classes, professors are very supportive and available- beautiful campus and beautiful people! High level of academics andstudents. This is my second time studying at st marys and its awesome to be back. Very safe surroundings, super nice people!

Antonio

Amazing academics, social life is meh.

I absolutely love my experience at SMC so far. As a student-athlete I have found the teachers to be extremely helpful with whatever needs may arise. The other students are friendly and are great to talk to. It is a campus that is great to stay focused on your school work with little distractions.