Notre Dame, IN
Saint Mary's College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Saint Mary's College

Kylie

Saint Mary's is a college that is proud of its long lasting educational legacy. It is one of very few all women's colleges left in the United States. Saint Mary's is known for its small class sizes and student-faculty ratio. Saint Mary's has a unique campus community due to its close proximity and relationship with the University of Notre Dame and Holy Cross. Saint Mary's students get many perks such as Notre Dame football and athletic tickets. The best quality about Saint Mary's is the sisterhood of its students.

I would suggest to students that before attending college, it is important to find your study niche. It's essential to develop a study strategy that works for you (whether it may be making notecards, creating binders, etc.), and stick with it throughout your educational career. The number one downfall of college students is also their time management skills. In high school it is important to develop these skills and set aside time for homework, studying, and also free-time. Although many students probably don't want to hear it, it is also important to set a bedtime for yourself. Although it seems silly, it is essential. There were many times that I would want to pull an all-nighter studying, but by setting a reasonable and attainable bedtime for myself I was able to get enough sleep and function the next day. I would also say that is important while in college to take risks, join clubs, take a class you have always wanted to take, try something new, and work hard. Finally, the best piece of advice is to enjoy every minute of your college experience because four years go by much to quickly!

Saint Mary's College is a women's college... so intelligent, enthusiastic, driven women would flourish at Saint Mary's. Saint Mary's is a very family/legacy orientated university and prides itself with the "sisterly bond" that often forms between the women at Saint Mary's. Saint Mary's College is a small campus with a myriad of extracurricular activities, clubs, and organizations; so someone who would like to get involved has plenty of opportunities to do so. Also Saint Mary's is a catholic college it has many opportunities to grow spiritually, and is accepting of all religions.

My school, Saint Mary's College, is the most beautiful, safe, empowering, intereactive institution that challenges academically and shapes a girl into a well-rounded, faith-filled, and briliant young woman.

Knowing what I know now about college life and making the college transition, advice I would give myself would be to try my absoulte hardest at everything I do. A task that is done half-heartedly will not get you anywhere in the college world, or the real world. In high shool, especially as a senior, it is easy to slack off or not do your absolute best work. Sometimes,"good" work is good enough, but you want to always strive to be spectacular. Doing the best you can at absolutely everything is crucial to college life and I think that if I were to go back to senior year, I would tell myself to write that extra paragraph or do those extra math problems, just because. You are not hurting anything by doing extra or more than needed, you are helping yourself and shaping yourself into the best person you can be.

A hard-working, well-rounded, leadership-driven girl who takes great pride in education and her school. A person attending Saint Mary's College should be academically ambitious and interested in discovering intellectual experiences for personal and social growth, as well. A girl attending Saint Mary's is a happy, energetic, and focused individual. A girl of any race and any ethnicity is welcome and respected with kindness and consideration.

Mairead

As an all girls school, Saint Mary's is very close-knit and you develop strong relationships with both your peers and professors, making everyone much more confortable in and out of the classroom.

I would tell myself to not be afriad to step out of my comfort zone and to try new things. Some of the best experiences I have had so far have been doing things that I never would have expected myself to do. It makes school a lot more fun and you definitely find out a lot about yourself. I would also tell myself to continue to study hard. Don't take getting good grades for granted because in college, there is no weighted GPA for honors classes like there were in high school. That shocked me when I started in college and my first year grades were not the best because I was so used to breezing through high school without having to try too hard. College is a lot more challenging and you definitely need to know how to use your time wisely because due dates come up quickly and exams are worth a lot more in your grades. There are not usually any bonus points or homework grades to help inflate your grade. It's all up to you.

Kristina

I would tell myself not to come to Saint Mary's College. I would tell myself not to put so much emphasis on finding a Catholic school when looking for colleges, because at any school it is is the same. You have to do it yourself if you want to strengthen your faith, whether you are at a Catholic school or not. I would tell myself to focus on finding on a sense of community at whatever school I choose, such as greek life or some type of group to help me meet people with common interests. I wish I would have known that Saint Mary's has nothing like that. I would also insist on not going to an all-girls school. Some people enjoy it, but I had so many great friends who were men in high school and I now have none. I would have also suggested going to a college where I didn't know anyone so that I could leave my comfort zone in order to grow. Even though rooming with my best friend from high school has gone smoothly, I wish I hadn't known anyone coming in.

I wish I would have known the real social situation at Saint Mary's. It all looks good on paper to "study at SMC and party at Notre Dame," but it is a hassle to get to Notre Dame, and the dorm parties are hot and disgusting. I have made no guy friends after a whole year and there is absolutely nothing fun to do on campus. There is also no sense of community and nothing to get invloved in at SMC. You have to go to Notre Dame for any fun at all. I wish I had known this.

Saint Mary's is definitely not for people who don't drink but are still very social. The entire nightlife of SMC consists of drinking and going to Notre Dame dorm parties or off-campus parties. There is nothing to do for girls who don't drink, and there are no ways for girls who don't drink to meet each other. Someone who enjoys drinking and partying, and who is fine with not having any fun with extra activities during the week should come to Saint Mary's.

Heather

If I coul travel back in time and talk to myslef as a senior in high school I would try to give some advice about how challenging it can be to transistion into college life. I would tell myself not to worry that everyone goes through hard times getting used to being away from home, people might not show it but everyone goes through it at some point. I would also tell myself that it's okay to cry, and let it all out. It is perfectly acceptable to feel homesick. It is okay to feel like everyone is adjusting faster than you. I would tell myself that everyone reacts to college life differently. I would also give myself advice about classes. I would remind myself that I am here to learn and I shouldn't feel bad if I am studying more than others or if I chose to stay in the dorm instead of going out to party. Lastly, the most important thing I would tell myself is to just be yourself and have fun, enjoy your time at college, with new friends and new experiences. Don't take any part of it for granted.

I would have to say the worst thing about Saint Mary's college is that sometimes the food isn't very good. However you get used to what is good and what isn't. The food is definetly not a deal breaker, it is just something to cope with. Every school has something a little off however if you go in with a clear mind everything will be fine.

Saint Mary's College is a wonderful school. I think that anyone who is looking for teachers who get to know you, small class sizes and feeling like your part of a family should come here. Saint Mary's College makes you feel at home, everyone is welcoming and willing to help you out if you need anything. If you want to become more independent, self aware and get a great education then you should come to Saint Mary's College.

Justine

I know that life is not easy, but everyone has their own obstacles to overcome too. Dont forget to give yourself credit when its due. Life is always best in the present, take advantage of the time you have now, today only comes once. Even though you are struggling now, it gets better but it starts with you wanting to try. I will tell you right now your first attempt is a success at first but its not your end result. Do your best and think about your future self because you are setting yourself up for them now.

Saint Mary's College is an institution for women. It is a private Catholic school. Young women can attend Saint Mary's and focus on school and not have outside distractions during the week. The class sizes are smaller than they would be at a large university. The college also has many great programs such as nursing and the soical work major. Many young women choose this school for all three of these reasons, but I think that Saint Mary's is best known for the sisterhood associated with all-women's college.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, there are so many things that I would tell myself. First, I would start off by telling myself that it was going to be a fun but stressful journey. I would tell myself to plan ahead more and be on top of things more. I used to procrastinate, but I have learned that that is not a good thing to do to yourself in college. I would tell myself to work ahead and stay ahead. Also, I would tell myself to prepare to meet different kinds of people than I had been used to my whole life. And to just be opened to learning about their lifestyle. One big thing that I would tell myself would be to call my mom more often than I did. It was tough for her and I did not talk to her as much as I probably should have. For me, it was a coping mechanism not to be homesick, but I have learned that it is okay to be homesick sometimes. Lastly, I would tell myself to smile often and laugh even more!

Saint Mary's College is a Catholic school. I am Catholic so that was part of my reasoning for attending this school. I love that there is a chapel in every hall. This makes going to mass so much easier. There are so many options for mass. There are sessions in the morning and at nights. I have become stronger in my faith life because of Saint Mary's. For me, going to mass is a great way to relieve stress. All of the chapels are so pretty too.

Talia

Dear Talia, You are about to move 800 miles away to live on your own for the very first time. Congratulations! Don’t be afraid, be excited for all the changes you are about to endure. Your little life is about to bloom and make great impact! You are smarter and more loving than you think. In the next four years you will meet a woman who will change the way you think about the world. Her name is Ann Clark. Don’t be afraid of her! She will become the most important person in your life. You will discover yourself through her guidance and learn to accept you for you. Don’t worry; Professor Clark will remain in your life after college. Talia, remember to be open to new experiences; they will enrich your life. Remember that being vulnerable is not a personal flaw, but a blessing. Keep the relationships you form close to your heart, they will bring comfort to you in times of great despair. Remember to smile and know that the troubles you are faced with right now will no longer be painful; but most importantly, remember to love.

The environment at Saint Mary's is wonderful. I love that it is an institution that is grounded in faith, but it is this faith that sometimes attracts students that are closed minded and ignorant. SMC can sometimes be a volatile place for students who are "different" to be.

A woman who is not open to growing as a person and learning about empowerment should not attend Saint Mary's College. The faculty and staff at SMC work hard to make each student reach her own potential. A woman who is not ready to work hard for every A she earns should not attend this institution.

Molly

I would tell myself to relax and enjoy high school, because there is a lot less personal responsibilty when you live at home. I would advise mysefl not to stress so much about making a college decision and moving to college. I was focused on finding the perfect school and, in reality, there is no perfect school. Every college has is perks and downsides, but one just needs to try their best to find the one they fit into.

Allison

Dear High School Self, Right now you are down to two choices. I won't tell you which one you choose, but it will be a good one. Just remember that this is a fresh start. No one knows you here and you can be whoever you want, but don't forget who you are. The next few years are going to be tough. You are going to be challenged beyond your imagination, but you are going to come out winning. Remember the importance of naps, the insignifcance of "boys," and the desire to fulfill your dreams. There will be obstacles, but you won't go through them alone. Always stick by your friends, your family, and your God. None of them can ever let you down unless you let them. You will get tired and grow weary, but always push for that extra 10%, always be open to new things, and always speak your mind. Stand strong and stay true to yourself and you will have no regrets. Yours in Christ, Your College Self

The food. Sodexo is our dining hall provider and the food is good in the beginning. However, after a while it just becomes the same thing again and again. It is quite disgusting after having to eat it for three years in a row.

The Nursing Program is an exceptional program that I am proud to be a part of. It is challenging in every way yet extremely rewarding. If a person wants to be a part of the nursing program she is challenged from Day 1 of her first year - even before entering the program. The professors are engaging and I can tell they want me to be the best I can be.

Saint Mary's College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.