Notre Dame, IN
Saint Mary's College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Saint Mary's College

I would tell myself to not be scared to ask for help. When I began my freshman year, I stubbornly refused help from my friends and teachers with my school work. I would tell myself that just because I did well in high school without help does not mean that the same thing applies in college. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness; it is a sign that you recognize that you are having trouble and that you can ask for help. As for the transition, I would tell myself to be more active in campus life. I was not very active in clubs and such and I feel like my first year in college was not all that it could have been. Being involved in campus activities allows you to meet new people and to form friendships. These are my biggest regrets of my freshman year and I wish that I had known how much I could have benefitted from them.

I think that the best thing about my school is the fact that the classes are more personal. This really helped me during my first year. And I think that if I had gone to a larger school, I would not have gotten the help that I needed. I also love the professors. They know your name and they will work with you to fix whatever problem you are having in class.

If you are a person who is not interested in higher learning, this school is not for you. You need to be dedicated to your studies. Classes are tough but they are rewarding. Also if you do not like smaller class sizes, you should go to a different school. The average class size is about 15 so there is much more one-on-one learning here than at other schools. Professors know you by name and make an effort to help you personally.

haley

If i were to give advice to my high school self about the transition to college it would most likely be: 'it gets better.' My first semester was very hard because I decided to go to college a few states away and did not get along with my roomates. I think it would have been very helpful for me to know that it is very common to have roommate problems, and that it is okay, even good, to switch rooms if you are not happy. As for moving away from home, I was very lonely. It would have been beneficial for me to konw that if you do not make friends right away that does not mean, you will never make firends; it just means that you need to have patience.

I wish I had known more people that went to Saint Mary's before I started so that my first few months may not have seemed so lonely.

The cost of tuition is one of the only frustrating things about my school.

Saint Mary's College is a lovely, small campus full of great young women in close relationships with each other and with the faculty and staff, where the academic atmosphere is challenging but not competitive.

First of all, you are going to absolutely adore the next four years of your life. You'll grow so much that you probably won't recognize yourself as you are now. Here are some things to remember. First of all, don't be shy. Talk to your new roommates. Talk to people in the awkward orientation events. Talk to your classmates. Talk to professors. Make friends with someone who has a car, but learn to use the campus shuttle as well. Go to all those free or cheap events on campus: lectures, concerts, performances. Join clubs. Play Quidditch. Participate in Heritage Week. Look up when you're walking to class through all those awesome old buildings; you'll notice something new every time. Use the Writing Center. Write in to the Viewpoint section of the school paper. Study abroad; when you do, follow all of the same advice on your new campus. Lastly, don't let schoolwork be the only thing in your college experience. Do things on whims. Accept that invitation to drive an hour to get Ethiopian food at a diner in some tiny town in Indiana. Take leaps. Trust me. You're going to love it.

You should have two X chromosomes, probably. Other than that, there's no one kind of Saint Mary's woman. You should be eager to learn and grow, with a passion for something, but you don't even have to know quite what that is yet.

Ariane

A great College ,with astonishing professors who care about their students .

A great College ,with astonishing professors who care about their students .

One piece of advice would be : working hard always pays off and, it is never too late to do so.

Anna

The most important thing to remember as you matriculate into a college or university is that communication is key: Reach out to your professors, peers who are further along in their education, advisors, and couselors--they are all there to assist you in your transition. Do not assume that just because you have done your Google research that you have gotten the inside scoop on evertyhing that is available to you within the realms of college life. In your interaction with others, you are less likely to encounter the pitfalls that others have suffered merely because these people will equip you with the tools to foresee these stumbling blocks.

Bridget

As I transitioned to college, people always wanted to teach me about moving away from home and what to expect. I appreciated their concern but I ultimately decided my actions by myself. A year ago I would have given myself several tips on making friends, savoring the experience and working hard. First, I would acknowledge how important it is to keep in contact with my high school friends, but never forget that moving on is vital as well. I have made the greatest friends of my life and I would tell my previous self to never take them for granted. Second, I would tell my high-school self to constantly remember how lucky I am to attend Saint Mary’s and that I should never forget it was not a right, and could be take away very easily. Lastly, I would go back in time to tell myself that working hard has always, and will always be the most important part of college. I would remind myself that I want to be a nurse more than anything and without hard work that is impossible. My friends, family, faith and hard work has made me the person I am today.

I would have to say the worst thing about Saint Mary's would be the cost of attendence. It was a major factor in my decision, and is still very prevelent in my life there. It is the worst part because there is really nothing I do not like about Saint Mary's and it is sometimes hard to love it so much when I know how much of a financial burden it is on my family. This was a problem when I visited becuase I loved the school so much and it was impossible for me to walk away.

There is always the saying that it takes a special girl to be a Saint Mary's girl but since I have been there I do not believe that any more. I feel that there is not one type of person who should not attend Saint Mary's becuase there is always a group of people where they will fit in. The only exception I see to this would be people who do not want go to a small liberal arts school, or those who want to go to a co-ed school.

Allie

You're making the right choice. I know that right now, Saint Mary's feels like the absolute worst college for your personality, and maybe some days it is. But you will be happy. Think about it: you'll be with your family and you'll be getting an education that's second to none. I know that you're nervous about the girls there. You're going to find a select group of girls that you will absolutely love- don't worry about the rest. You want to make your way to Capitol Hill, not make friends. Do what you need for yourself, learn everything you can, grab every opportunity. Never stop being curious.

I think that the worst thing about my school is the lack of diversity. It is largely an all-white population- nothing at all like my high school, which is in the same city.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the fact that I'm the only liberal in a sea of conservatives. Some days it feels like I'm in a prison with rich republicans.

Natalie

One important lesson I have learned is that in order to succeed in life two qualities are necessary, confidence and perseverance. More often than not you can miss out on great opportunities because you are afraid of the outcome or underestimate your abilities. The truth of the matter is, the only person who can hold you back is you. The moment you begin to doubt yourself is the same exact moment you set yourself up to fail. This is especially true when difficult and demanding tasks throughout your coursework arise. Although you may want to simply give up, nothing will be more rewarding than actually conquering these difficult assignments. As long as you approach ever endeavor with a positive and assertive attitude there will be nothing you cannot accomplish.

I feel a student who wishes to remain unnoticed or is not serious about their education should not consider Saint Mary’s College. Most, if not all, professors know each of their students by name within the first week of classes. Students are challenged through demanding coursework and expected to attend each class fully prepared if they wish to excel. Active participation in class discussions is also highly encouraged, if not part of a student’s overall grade. Any student unwilling to invest in their education and future should not attend this college.

When I speak of Saint Mary’s College, I have always praised the exceptional faculty and their constant dedication to the education of women. The Saint Mary’s community continually strives to provide a supportive and constructive academic atmosphere for its students. Small class sizes have allowed me to not only communicate with my professors on a daily basis, but also to gain a better understanding of subject material. I am fully confident these factors have been played a major role in my growth both intellectually and spiritually.

Katie

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to be commited to my education. Upon entering college I had no direction or passion and didn't take advantage of the opprotunity. I would tell myself that I am smart enough and good enough to succeed and to not be discouraged by indecion. Nassau Community College offers me the best way to begin my education and that if given the time I would come to find my passion. Now years later with a renewed commitment to my ecuation I see success for me in the future.

Bridget

Saint Mary's College is like a second home to most of its students because of the many many opportunities we are offered academically, spiritually, and athletically; but most of all, the atmosphere of Saint Mary's allows for its students to excel in what ever they may choose due to the wide variety of classes, majors, and professors.

Saint Mary's College is best known for its academics and being an all women's catholic College, but it is also widely known for its association with the University of Notre Dame across the street.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to never give up and never take advantage of the people in my life who have guided me in achieving my goals. High School was a time in my life where I should have tried harder at everything. Now, as I am a freshman in college, I am finding that I am changing as I learn so many things that I never knew before. I would tell myself to seek help in targeted areas in my academics in which I struggle instead of hoping the problems would just disappear. At times, when I am faced with many obstacles, I have to force myself to work harder in order to succeed. If I would have learned this earlier in my life, say my senior year of high school, maybe it would not be so difficult now. I am very proud of the many accomplishments I have made in the last year but I know that I would not be here if my family was not here to back me up. I would tell myself to be more thankful for these people.

Saint Mary's College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.