Notre Dame, IN
Saint Mary's College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Saint Mary's College

Ashton

Going to a community college is a tedious experience. Both the teachers and the students are disinterested in learning and are only there to ?check a block? so they can get on with their lives. The only reason I chose to go to community college was so I could take my general education courses at a cheaper price?but at this point I am not sure that saving an extra two hundred dollars is worth my sanity. I am a curious, intelligent, bored student. I wanted to go to school to learn, not to simply review things I learned in college! I will be so relieved when I can finally transfer to a real university because I will be able to start truly learning again. My experience at the community college has been dull, but I am sure that once I can begin attending university, my time will not be wasted.

Jill

So far, my college experience has been everything I didn't expect it to be. I come into school with a set plan of what my major would be, what activities I would do, and what I would get out of it. Now in the spring semester of my sophmore year, I have switched my major and picked up two minors, left the varsity soccer team to focus on studies, and really grown as an individual. The money aspect of Saint Mary's was the hugest factor in my college decision as I come from a middle class family and SMC is quickly heading towards the 50,000 a year mark. I knew that this school was right for me though, and sitting down with my family to make a plan has really given me a unique experience in long term money managing. It has not always been easy, but in the end, I know I made the right decision to come here. I will leave Saint Mary's with the experience and knowledge I need to have a successful career and the emotional maturity that will lead to a happier life.

It's an all girls school, so someone that can handle the drama of being around girls all the time. It helps to come from a background of money, because I constantly worry about making the tuition payments and the amount of loans I will have after graduation. However, it is a quiet school with a lot of character and you really are helped and encouraged to find yourself and your place in the SMC community.

The most frustrating thing about Saint Mary's is the complete lack of socioeconomic and racial diversity. There is a real lack of of communication and assistance from the financial aid department, and a lot of girls choose not to come here because they cannot afford it.

christina

Th fact that is it one of the only remaining all-female schools in the United States.

I really do love my college and wouldn't want otbe anywhere else. I think the most benfcial thing about my college is the relationships that are formed with friends and the faculty. You really feel comfortable here at Saint Mary's.

Molly

I would tell myself to focus on academics a lot more than I did during my freshman year. I would also say to be more outgoing and make a lot of friends and go out with them to parties to meet people, especially boys, because it limits me now. I would say to move rooms because I had a horrible roommate freshman year and it made me miserable, I was considering transferring for a little bit. I would tell myself to stick with my school and not hate it so much because of certain circumstances, but just get through the first year and it will all get a lot better, because it did. I would also say be more forceful in choosing classes because I have fallen behind in major classes because I was not able to take them freshman and sophomore year. I would also have told myself to not apply to as many colleges as I did because I applied to a lot of reach schools and spent a lot of money on application fees that ended up being easy rejections for the schools in which I applied.

the fact that it is an all women's college and women get great attention and inspriation to do well academically and in many other ways and they are encouraged to challenge themselves. They are given the opportunity to succeed and get good careers after graduation. I think women are suppressed in this world a lot still and here we do not have any double standards or limits to what we can do.

Erika

The school I chose is unique because it is an all girls school. We get to work together and build strong bonds as women. Being across from one of the top schools in the US is enough to say how unique we are. I love how we can go to ND and be in all the clubs over there. There is such a great connection. It is also a small school which is better for a one to one relationship with many professors. I love how all my teachers know me by name.

My days as a senior high school student were very tough. My mother passed away from an illness while i was going on my second month of my senior year. If i could talk to myself i would tell myself that I need to trust the people around me and believe i could make it past this bump in the road. I would encourage myself to do my best in high school and to keep my spirit up! With many scholorships i could go to a really good school, despite my lack of money, and loss of my supportive parent. I would remind myself of how great of family and friends i had that would support me through my struggle and help me to make my dream come true of going to college! With the thought of my wonderful mother being proud of me, i made it through my senior year and now i am almost through my freshman year at St Marys! One other thing I would say is college life is great but its not easy; you must stay focussed on your grades and prepare for the finicial part!!

I wish i would have known I needed to use my time more wisley! College is tough and you need to put alot of time into doing your homework or studying. I had to get into the habbit of multiple things going on at once and needing to get them done in a timely matter. I wish I would have known before how much all my books, supplies, and cost to go to any college was going to be this much! I would have sarted saving way earlier.

Mary

Community, Atmosphere, Quality of Education

Community, Atmosphere, Quality of Education

It may take time to find the right friends, but don't let that stop you from looking! Make faith and strong friendships a priority in addition to your school work, but don't let your social life be a distraction to your education. Time managment skills are important skills to acquire, though it may be a difficult process of trial and error at times. DON'T COMPROMISE OR LOWER YOUR STANDARDS! Be smart--don't do things you know you will regret. Give praise and thanksgiving to Jesus Christ in the bad times and the good times, because everything is a gift and an opportunity.

I believe I was acurately prepared to attend St. Mary's. There wasn't much that came as a surprise to me. The adjustment from home to school was relatively smooth.

Jordan

Saint Mary's College of Notre Dame is an all women's college. Being surrounded by women like yourself is empowering and a very positive experience. It is a very empowering and unique place to become a well rounded individual.

If i could go back and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell myself to choose the college best for me. Not the college that is closest to my friends or the college all my friends are going to. Think about what is best for myself and where I can be the most successful upon graduation. I would tell myself to pick the college that will make me the best person I can be. Choose the college that you I can see myself calling home. Choose the college that you cannot wait to go back to after being away. Make your college decision based you you and your future that you have ahead of you. College is the time of your life and where you grow as an individual, pick the college that will have a positive impact in your life and in your future. Be proud of your future home.

A woman who has dreams and aspirations of a very successful life. A woman who wants to succeed. A woman who wants to be empowered. A woman who is strong willed. A woman who is very focused and well driven and strives to do well in everything and anything that she does or wants to do.

I would tell myself to go to college with an open mind. Not to judge people or walk into a class thinking "this is going to be too hard". I would tell myself not to be afraid to ask questions. Half the people around me are new as well and there are about 10 other people who have the same question. I would also tell myself that talking to the professors would be the best thing to do. Making a relationship with the professor is the best thing to do. The professors are here to help the studends, not to scare them. I would tell myself that studying comes first. As tempting as going out would be fininshing your studies is the most important part.

I wish I would have known how much the professors and staff really do care about your education and success in life. As scary as it is to go to an all girls school everyone is very nice and outgoing. The dorms are a great way to meet new people and possible life friends.

I brag about the education I am getting. I am surrounded by people of my own religion and my own work ethic. I am honored to attened this college and get the best education. I have meet so many wonderful women. There has not be a class that I have attended where someone hasn't inturduced themself and been very welcoming.

Brianna

Advice for high school seniors planning to attend college: 1. Be grateful everyday for all the things your Mom does that you never even knew existed - you will be doing them for yourself next year. 2. Take only necessary belongings and only a reasonable amount of clothing. No matter how large the grandest dorm room is , it is still a small dorm room. 3. Learn how to study and manage your time, that is unless you want to return home second semester. 4. Don't let high school teachers scare you; college professors are nice people. 5. Practice getting along with you siblings, unless blessed, roommates are only worse. 6. Live and love each day; you don't have to completely grow up until you graduate.

Unfortunately, the worst thing about my school is the cafeteria food. At a girl's school you would expect the food to be girly - you know vegetables, fruits, grilled meats and lots of desserts. It seems that the menu is in carbohydrate overload. Please also, I know that care must be taken due to all the allergies and likes and dislikes of the masses, but where is the seasoning!!! You note I am only complaining about the food - the staff is exceptional!

I sincerely believe anyone could be happy at Saint Mary's College with a little work. The atmosphere and desire of the administration and faculty for all to attain their goals is quite evident. Also the general warmth of the student body is inviting and inclusive. So I guess the personality having the most difficult transition would be the Southerner raised to be a cheerleader or president of her sorority attending college only to find a husband.

Lynne

For its liberal arts education and tight knit community

For its liberal arts education and tight knit community

It is affiliated with the Catholic faith, it is academically challenging, and is right across the street from the University of Notre Dame, which the students can attend class and social events.

If I could go back and speak with my high school self I would have advised myself to be more social. Academics are important and living by the light of faith, but people are very important aspects of your life. Don't worry what they think, you are an amazing young woman who has accomplished a lot at a young age. Be secure in yourself and be the out-going, funny, intellegent girl that you are. In college it is easy to be focused on academics and conforming yourself to the ideals of those around you, but that is what makes college so great, you can be you and be a part of everything else that is going on. Be yourself an orignal is better than a copy.

Saint Mary's College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.