Saint Mary’s College Top Questions

Although it may appear as if this question may be easy to answer, it is in fact, very difficult. Coming from a lower class, financially troubled, household, I feel as though college hit me like a ton of bricks. If I could somehow communicate with my past high-school self, I would tell myself to participate in more community-based, volunteer experienced, activities. In high school, I mainly kept to myself and focused on my studies, not really engaging in community, or volunteering, for such activities. Attending college, you immediately realize the importance of a community, and the weight that various graduate schools hold on actively participating in activities. Overall, my future self is unfortunately struggling with trying to become more engaged in my community, and I wish I would have participated more as a high school student, so the transition could have been smoother.

Bridget

I know what you are thinking. You don't want to leave home. You don't know whether you will succeed, whether you made the right decisions. You don't know what you want to do in life. So here is some advice. Stop. Don't worry. There is no need to decide who you are going to be today, this year, or this decade. There is no final definition of who you are. Rather, everyday you are defined by the people who surround you, the decisions you make, and roots you have laid. So, go to Saint Mary's. Be confident in knowing that you will make mistakes, that there will be struggles and hardship, and that you will, at times, fall, but also know that you chose the right school, that through Saint Mary's you will blessed with professors, peers, and a community that will mold you into the leader you aspire to be. At Saint Mary's you will begin on the path to changing the world. So strive to both inspire and be inspired, and aim to never be limited by yourself, but rather to constantly be changing and learning from those around you.

tawney

Assuming that I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would probably offer myself some advice and probably not listen to it. Do you honestly know any high school student that doesn't think they know it all? I'm Tawney Vaughan a 26 year old veteran trying to restart my education and get on with my new career and this is my advice to my high school self. Tawney Morgan, I wasn't married yet, you need to try harder to separate fun and work. Once you understand that you must work in order to have fun then you will truly understand the complete way to be happy and have fun. Don't let anyone force you to go to school if you aren't ready because you will end up wasting time and money. Do find a job that will sustain you until you find out what you want to do in life. Don't wait on Travis to grow up, he never does. One last thing, if you decide to join the military...go for it!

Sam, if you're not busy making prints in the darkroom I want you to hear me. I know right now you are frustrated figuring out how you’re going to pay for college but remember everything will fall into place. Trust me. I know dad is forgetting his memory, mom is bipolar and your brother is an alcoholic but I want to let you know that you're a strong person that will make it to college and reach her goals. Remember the time when you were six and tore a copy of “The Cat in the Hat” because you couldn’t read it out loud clearly due to stuttering? Life and college are going to give you similar challenges and you will be able to overcome them. Does a class on the Twilight Zone seem interesting? Take it. The class will help you grow in the areas where you felt defeated.The very last thing that I want to tell you is that college friends will come and go and the ones who stay are the ones that want to see you successful and become the person that you’ve always wanted to be. Now, go get 'em!

Princess Mae

I would tell myself that the amount of stress and time you invested into your senior will pay off in the end, it will prepare you for college. Don't worry about what college you end up at or stress out about which college to go to because eventually, you will be le to a college you are meant to spend the next four years of your life at. You will find your place for the next four years and you will be more than ready for it.

Coming to the end of my first year in college there are many lessons that I have learned through making the transition from high school. The biggest thing is time management. I think just about everyone I talked with spoke about time management and how crucial it is, and they were right! There is more time in college that you have to complete homework, study for test, and even hang out with friends. The advice I would tell myself is to set a schedule and stick with it. Nothing is worse than coming up to a test date and only studying on the last night. College is full of hard times requiring hard work but patience and perserverance are big characteristics needed to make the transition easier. There are a lot of lessons that I have learned, but managing time would have to be the biggest lesson to learn to be the most successful!

Dear young self, Now that you are heading to college, there is some advice that I would like to bestow upon you. First, do not let college pass you by. Get involved in something - anything- on campus. Try out for the softball team, join a club, volunteer your time. Just find something that interests you, and go for it. Don't worry about not knowing anyone because every other freshman is worried about the same thing. Ask yourself what you would do if you knew you could not fail. Now go do it. Fear of failure will only hold you back. Be confident in yourself, and the rest will fall into place. Second, find a passion for learning. You have the unique opportunity to learn from brilliant people, and I don't just mean your professors. Learn from your surroundings, your peers, your classes, everything. Millions of people would love to have your same opportunity, so don't squander it. Use it to advance yourself and to advance the world. And lastly, refrain from eating Pete's pizza every single day in the dining hall. The freshman fifteen is real...oh so real. Yours truly, Sarah

ELIVETTE

I would tell myself that I need to have better study habits because in high school I would study for a test the day before and for college that doesnt work. In order to get a good grade on a test I have to read my notes and study every day. College isn't about just memorizing anymore its about truely remembering the material. Another thing would be to manage time better because during college there really isn't much time for anything if I don't use my time more wisely. For example, in high school I would really manage my time because I didn't get much homework, but during high school I have a lot of homework and in order to not get stress i need to manage my time and do my homework in a reasonable time. Instead of waiting till the last minute.

If I were to go back in time, and talk to my highschool senior self, I would tell myself to study more and ask for help. I am very shy so whenever I need help I always wait for someone to ask the same question I had. I would never take it upon myself to ask for help so I would tell my senior self to go and ask for help. Teachers want us to succeed just as much as we want to succeed, so they are there for us incase we need help, it is their job. I would also tell myself to study more and to take tests more seriously. Whenever I would have a test I would just browse through material instead of fully studying it and making sure I know everything. So I would tell my senior self to hit the books and the library because tests in college are much much harder. Somehow I managed to pass tests but I never felt as though I truly earned a passing grade because I didn't study but instead got very lucky.

Kylie

I would suggest to students that before attending college, it is important to find your study niche. It's essential to develop a study strategy that works for you (whether it may be making notecards, creating binders, etc.), and stick with it throughout your educational career. The number one downfall of college students is also their time management skills. In high school it is important to develop these skills and set aside time for homework, studying, and also free-time. Although many students probably don't want to hear it, it is also important to set a bedtime for yourself. Although it seems silly, it is essential. There were many times that I would want to pull an all-nighter studying, but by setting a reasonable and attainable bedtime for myself I was able to get enough sleep and function the next day. I would also say that is important while in college to take risks, join clubs, take a class you have always wanted to take, try something new, and work hard. Finally, the best piece of advice is to enjoy every minute of your college experience because four years go by much to quickly!

Knowing what I know now about college life and making the college transition, advice I would give myself would be to try my absoulte hardest at everything I do. A task that is done half-heartedly will not get you anywhere in the college world, or the real world. In high shool, especially as a senior, it is easy to slack off or not do your absolute best work. Sometimes,"good" work is good enough, but you want to always strive to be spectacular. Doing the best you can at absolutely everything is crucial to college life and I think that if I were to go back to senior year, I would tell myself to write that extra paragraph or do those extra math problems, just because. You are not hurting anything by doing extra or more than needed, you are helping yourself and shaping yourself into the best person you can be.

Mairead

I would tell myself to not be afriad to step out of my comfort zone and to try new things. Some of the best experiences I have had so far have been doing things that I never would have expected myself to do. It makes school a lot more fun and you definitely find out a lot about yourself. I would also tell myself to continue to study hard. Don't take getting good grades for granted because in college, there is no weighted GPA for honors classes like there were in high school. That shocked me when I started in college and my first year grades were not the best because I was so used to breezing through high school without having to try too hard. College is a lot more challenging and you definitely need to know how to use your time wisely because due dates come up quickly and exams are worth a lot more in your grades. There are not usually any bonus points or homework grades to help inflate your grade. It's all up to you.

I would tell myself not to come to Saint Mary's College. I would tell myself not to put so much emphasis on finding a Catholic school when looking for colleges, because at any school it is is the same. You have to do it yourself if you want to strengthen your faith, whether you are at a Catholic school or not. I would tell myself to focus on finding on a sense of community at whatever school I choose, such as greek life or some type of group to help me meet people with common interests. I wish I would have known that Saint Mary's has nothing like that. I would also insist on not going to an all-girls school. Some people enjoy it, but I had so many great friends who were men in high school and I now have none. I would have also suggested going to a college where I didn't know anyone so that I could leave my comfort zone in order to grow. Even though rooming with my best friend from high school has gone smoothly, I wish I hadn't known anyone coming in.

If I coul travel back in time and talk to myslef as a senior in high school I would try to give some advice about how challenging it can be to transistion into college life. I would tell myself not to worry that everyone goes through hard times getting used to being away from home, people might not show it but everyone goes through it at some point. I would also tell myself that it's okay to cry, and let it all out. It is perfectly acceptable to feel homesick. It is okay to feel like everyone is adjusting faster than you. I would tell myself that everyone reacts to college life differently. I would also give myself advice about classes. I would remind myself that I am here to learn and I shouldn't feel bad if I am studying more than others or if I chose to stay in the dorm instead of going out to party. Lastly, the most important thing I would tell myself is to just be yourself and have fun, enjoy your time at college, with new friends and new experiences. Don't take any part of it for granted.

Justine

I know that life is not easy, but everyone has their own obstacles to overcome too. Dont forget to give yourself credit when its due. Life is always best in the present, take advantage of the time you have now, today only comes once. Even though you are struggling now, it gets better but it starts with you wanting to try. I will tell you right now your first attempt is a success at first but its not your end result. Do your best and think about your future self because you are setting yourself up for them now.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, there are so many things that I would tell myself. First, I would start off by telling myself that it was going to be a fun but stressful journey. I would tell myself to plan ahead more and be on top of things more. I used to procrastinate, but I have learned that that is not a good thing to do to yourself in college. I would tell myself to work ahead and stay ahead. Also, I would tell myself to prepare to meet different kinds of people than I had been used to my whole life. And to just be opened to learning about their lifestyle. One big thing that I would tell myself would be to call my mom more often than I did. It was tough for her and I did not talk to her as much as I probably should have. For me, it was a coping mechanism not to be homesick, but I have learned that it is okay to be homesick sometimes. Lastly, I would tell myself to smile often and laugh even more!

Talia

Dear Talia, You are about to move 800 miles away to live on your own for the very first time. Congratulations! Don’t be afraid, be excited for all the changes you are about to endure. Your little life is about to bloom and make great impact! You are smarter and more loving than you think. In the next four years you will meet a woman who will change the way you think about the world. Her name is Ann Clark. Don’t be afraid of her! She will become the most important person in your life. You will discover yourself through her guidance and learn to accept you for you. Don’t worry; Professor Clark will remain in your life after college. Talia, remember to be open to new experiences; they will enrich your life. Remember that being vulnerable is not a personal flaw, but a blessing. Keep the relationships you form close to your heart, they will bring comfort to you in times of great despair. Remember to smile and know that the troubles you are faced with right now will no longer be painful; but most importantly, remember to love.

I would tell myself to relax and enjoy high school, because there is a lot less personal responsibilty when you live at home. I would advise mysefl not to stress so much about making a college decision and moving to college. I was focused on finding the perfect school and, in reality, there is no perfect school. Every college has is perks and downsides, but one just needs to try their best to find the one they fit into.

Dear High School Self, Right now you are down to two choices. I won't tell you which one you choose, but it will be a good one. Just remember that this is a fresh start. No one knows you here and you can be whoever you want, but don't forget who you are. The next few years are going to be tough. You are going to be challenged beyond your imagination, but you are going to come out winning. Remember the importance of naps, the insignifcance of "boys," and the desire to fulfill your dreams. There will be obstacles, but you won't go through them alone. Always stick by your friends, your family, and your God. None of them can ever let you down unless you let them. You will get tired and grow weary, but always push for that extra 10{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c}, always be open to new things, and always speak your mind. Stand strong and stay true to yourself and you will have no regrets. Yours in Christ, Your College Self

Kelsie

I would tell myself not to care what people think. I would encourage myself to be more friendly and make more of an effort to get to know more people. I would tell myself that even though you might be homesick at first, do not worry about it because that will go away quickly. I also would tell myself to get more involved and to spend more time seeing how I could get involved. I would tell myself to focus on school but also have fun because these are the best years of my life.

Chloe

I would tell myself not to be so uptight. Change can be a really good thing. I would say that the transition won't be easy but it will be worth it. College is so much more than I ever thought it would be, and knowing that the possibilites truly are endless would have made me that much more excited to start school. I would warn myself that not everyone I meet is going to have the same attitude as me, and that the classes are going to be a lot harder than i thought they would be. I would tell myself to follow through with all the clubs I signed up for that first weekend. I would tell myself that twenty minute naps are easily the best thing ever invented. I would tell myself to make more time for the gym and less time for midnight snacks. Overall i would say, prepare yourself, you are about to start the best four years of your life, a journey with lots of twists and turns, but one that will always be the best thing to every happen to you.

Christin

To my younger self, Please take more time looking for opportunites provided by the world. Study beyond what is expected or required from your high school's expectations. Become a leader by being a stronger woman. Rise above the discriminations or accusations held against you. Be yourself and express it without fear. Find any scholarships to pay for your tuition, you will not regret this decision. Be happy with yourself, do not let others tear you down. Know what you like. Understand your strenghts and weaknesses. With your strenghts, grow. With you weaknesses, remove. Be you and be passionate. Learn, teach, understand, comprehend, and simply enjoy all of the endless simplicities of life.

Elisabeth

If I could go back in time and speak with my high school self, I would explain that love can wait. I fell in love during my first year of college, preceded to get married and have four sweet children. I have been chipping away at my college degree for the last two years. There has been nothing as challenging as trying to read history from Chicano Perspective while walking back and forth all night with a teething two year old. There is nothing as frustrating as writing on an online forum discussing International Contemporary Politics while a toddler keeps hitting random keys. I have also been excited to answer questions about tectonic plates as my eldest flips through my Physical oceanography textbook. We have discussed compound interest using charts in my Business Mathematics text. Interrupted by a screaming child during my quiz on Descartes? Yes, thank you sir, I’ll have another. My children are my world, and while challenging and frustrating, they are the reason I keep doing what I am doing and excelling. Perhaps, I would not change a thing even if I could.

With the knowledge and life lessons that I have gained after making the difficult transition into college, I would advise my high school senior self to focus on becoming more independent. I would strongly suggest that I make more time for learning by myself in order to master concepts in my own unique way of learning, rather than relying on other classmates or teachers for help. As I high school senior, I did not learn to prioritize my time. Now, going back, I would tell myself that learning to efficiently and effectively prioritize my time is one of the most important things that I could do to ensure success in the future. I would also advise my high school senior self to make more connections among teachers and other faculty, because those people are the ones who can prove to be very helpful in the future when it comes to searching for jobs or even information or additional perspectives on careers or important topics. The single best piece of advice that I would give myself, however, would be the importance of learning to be yourself, to open up to new possibilities, and to take advantage of every oppurtunity.

Savannah

As a high school student, I was definitely that girl who waited until the last few hours to begin any of my assignments. High school teachers always say, "Do not wait until the very last minute to complete this project!" I took that as a challenge, and I prevailed with an A most of the time. As a college student, it is impossible to procrastinate as much as I did in high school. The first thing I would tell myself is to get rid of procrastination! It is a nasty habit that only leaves one stressed and worn. Staying up all night, thanks to the aid of caffeine, is not a wise decision. Although that may be plenty of time for a high school student to cram for that test the next morning, it is absolutely impossible for a college student. I would also tell my former self to get in the habit of getting up earlier! It is humiliating and disrespectful to show up late to class. Although the transistion from a high school student to a college student was not extremely difficult, my life would be a whole lot easier if I had broken a few habits.

Adelia

I would tell myself that I did not need to be as stressed as I was for college. My high school prepared me very well for what lied ahead. Saint Mary's College is a very welcoming school, and I should not have needed to worry abour making new friends/if I would make new friends at all. Everyone is in the same boat when he or she attends college.

If i could go back and talk to myself, I would strongly advise myself to open up and be more outgoing. Getting to know my college frineds has been the best part of my first view years here at Saint Marys. Having frineds by your side to help you emotionally and educationaly has been a blessing for me. I could not make it without them so I would advise myself to become less shy so I could get to know them faster and sooner than I have. I would also advise myself to do as many outside scholarships as I can. Already after my first two years I can not beleive the amount of loans I have out. Scholarships are also a blessing and help me out a great deal.

I would tell myself to not be scared to ask for help. When I began my freshman year, I stubbornly refused help from my friends and teachers with my school work. I would tell myself that just because I did well in high school without help does not mean that the same thing applies in college. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness; it is a sign that you recognize that you are having trouble and that you can ask for help. As for the transition, I would tell myself to be more active in campus life. I was not very active in clubs and such and I feel like my first year in college was not all that it could have been. Being involved in campus activities allows you to meet new people and to form friendships. These are my biggest regrets of my freshman year and I wish that I had known how much I could have benefitted from them.

haley

If i were to give advice to my high school self about the transition to college it would most likely be: 'it gets better.' My first semester was very hard because I decided to go to college a few states away and did not get along with my roomates. I think it would have been very helpful for me to know that it is very common to have roommate problems, and that it is okay, even good, to switch rooms if you are not happy. As for moving away from home, I was very lonely. It would have been beneficial for me to konw that if you do not make friends right away that does not mean, you will never make firends; it just means that you need to have patience.

First of all, you are going to absolutely adore the next four years of your life. You'll grow so much that you probably won't recognize yourself as you are now. Here are some things to remember. First of all, don't be shy. Talk to your new roommates. Talk to people in the awkward orientation events. Talk to your classmates. Talk to professors. Make friends with someone who has a car, but learn to use the campus shuttle as well. Go to all those free or cheap events on campus: lectures, concerts, performances. Join clubs. Play Quidditch. Participate in Heritage Week. Look up when you're walking to class through all those awesome old buildings; you'll notice something new every time. Use the Writing Center. Write in to the Viewpoint section of the school paper. Study abroad; when you do, follow all of the same advice on your new campus. Lastly, don't let schoolwork be the only thing in your college experience. Do things on whims. Accept that invitation to drive an hour to get Ethiopian food at a diner in some tiny town in Indiana. Take leaps. Trust me. You're going to love it.

Ariane

One piece of advice would be : working hard always pays off and, it is never too late to do so.

The most important thing to remember as you matriculate into a college or university is that communication is key: Reach out to your professors, peers who are further along in their education, advisors, and couselors--they are all there to assist you in your transition. Do not assume that just because you have done your Google research that you have gotten the inside scoop on evertyhing that is available to you within the realms of college life. In your interaction with others, you are less likely to encounter the pitfalls that others have suffered merely because these people will equip you with the tools to foresee these stumbling blocks.

Bridget

As I transitioned to college, people always wanted to teach me about moving away from home and what to expect. I appreciated their concern but I ultimately decided my actions by myself. A year ago I would have given myself several tips on making friends, savoring the experience and working hard. First, I would acknowledge how important it is to keep in contact with my high school friends, but never forget that moving on is vital as well. I have made the greatest friends of my life and I would tell my previous self to never take them for granted. Second, I would tell my high-school self to constantly remember how lucky I am to attend Saint Mary’s and that I should never forget it was not a right, and could be take away very easily. Lastly, I would go back in time to tell myself that working hard has always, and will always be the most important part of college. I would remind myself that I want to be a nurse more than anything and without hard work that is impossible. My friends, family, faith and hard work has made me the person I am today.

Allie

You're making the right choice. I know that right now, Saint Mary's feels like the absolute worst college for your personality, and maybe some days it is. But you will be happy. Think about it: you'll be with your family and you'll be getting an education that's second to none. I know that you're nervous about the girls there. You're going to find a select group of girls that you will absolutely love- don't worry about the rest. You want to make your way to Capitol Hill, not make friends. Do what you need for yourself, learn everything you can, grab every opportunity. Never stop being curious.

One important lesson I have learned is that in order to succeed in life two qualities are necessary, confidence and perseverance. More often than not you can miss out on great opportunities because you are afraid of the outcome or underestimate your abilities. The truth of the matter is, the only person who can hold you back is you. The moment you begin to doubt yourself is the same exact moment you set yourself up to fail. This is especially true when difficult and demanding tasks throughout your coursework arise. Although you may want to simply give up, nothing will be more rewarding than actually conquering these difficult assignments. As long as you approach ever endeavor with a positive and assertive attitude there will be nothing you cannot accomplish.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to be commited to my education. Upon entering college I had no direction or passion and didn't take advantage of the opprotunity. I would tell myself that I am smart enough and good enough to succeed and to not be discouraged by indecion. Nassau Community College offers me the best way to begin my education and that if given the time I would come to find my passion. Now years later with a renewed commitment to my ecuation I see success for me in the future.

Bridget

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to never give up and never take advantage of the people in my life who have guided me in achieving my goals. High School was a time in my life where I should have tried harder at everything. Now, as I am a freshman in college, I am finding that I am changing as I learn so many things that I never knew before. I would tell myself to seek help in targeted areas in my academics in which I struggle instead of hoping the problems would just disappear. At times, when I am faced with many obstacles, I have to force myself to work harder in order to succeed. If I would have learned this earlier in my life, say my senior year of high school, maybe it would not be so difficult now. I am very proud of the many accomplishments I have made in the last year but I know that I would not be here if my family was not here to back me up. I would tell myself to be more thankful for these people.

If I were given the opportunity to go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior with my current knowledge about college life and the transition, my advice would be this; Don't doubt your ability to surprise yourself. When I began my first semester here at Saint Mary's College I was terrified that I would not be able to keep up with the work load, that I would not make new friends, and that I just wouldn't be as happy as I was in my comfortable highschool environment where I was able to rule the school as a senior. Since my time at Saint Mary's has begun, I have found just the opposite to be true. I have accomodated tremendously to my new acadamic schedule. I even managed the dean's list in my first semester and I found my classes to be wonderfully entertaining. My social life has never been richer. The friendships that I have created here have only made my heart grow. I have found that college allows your true self to shine through, you can be whoever you want to be, you can be who you are.

In the few months I have been a student at Saint Mary's, I have gained a better understanding of my abilities, my calling in life, and myself. When I first joined the Saint Mary's community, I instantly felt welcomed and like I was an important part of the larger whole. The all female student demographic in its self is inspirational and empowering on so many levels because I know that my peers are just like me in the aspect that they want to succeed and make a difference in this world. All of my professors have taken the initiative to make sure that I am successful even in the most basic required general education courses; a quality that I think is unique to Saint Mary's and its faculty. Saint Mary's has been valuable to attend for all of the previous reasons and more, but especially because here I feel like I am not just a number, a face in a lecture hall, or even a name. Here, I am a woman who has all the potential to put her talents and education to use in the professional world and beyond. Here, I am Saint Mary's.

Discipline and determination are very key to getting an education today. This is especially true of returning students that may have been in the workforce for several years such as myself. I've missed the look in other students eyes when the "light" finally comes on and the understanding takes place. Learning is eternal. We never stop learning as long as we have the desire to achieve. I spent 5 years in the Armed Forces during war time and I've come to realize that the simplest things are much more gratifying these days than some of the things I relished as a younger man. Reading, writing and communicating my life's goal or philosophies have become a soothing past time for me. When I'm in class and sharing these things with like minded individuals from all walks of life, it makes me feel more a part of the world. I have worked in a dead end field for the past 8 years and I have just started to feel alive again while in school. Rob Coldiron

Donald

Time management and personal responsibility are the two biggest things I have gotten out of my college experience. Initially I attended college strictly to be educated, but through it all I have discovered and developed these two very important aspects of life. Learning how to balance class, homework, sleep, work, exercise, and relationship time is one of the most challenging parts of college. It is life training. Someday I will have to balance time with my spouse, work, building my relationship with my kids, and sleep. College has been valuable to me because it is more than just class, it is training for the real world. In a time where individuals are so quick to sue and push their responsibility on to others, I am glad to discover the trait of personal responsibility. I am thankful that I can see that when I am at fault or incorrect, I deserve the consequences; however, I also know that consequence too often implies the negative. I believe that the consequences of hard work and great effort over time are personal gain and great reward. I am thankful for my college experience so far and look forward to the next two years.

In my college experience, I have had the ability to find myself in the real world. I am no longer protected by the walls that grade school provided for me. It is up to me to choose the road I want to take and through my college experience I have found that road and discovered who I want to be. It has been a valuable experience to attend college because it has provided me with the knowledge that will help me excel in my career field. My college experience has also taught me personal responsibility and has truly been a growing experience. I have excelled in my studies thus far and I put my college education above all else because I know the tools I will gain from my education are what will give me a great life. I have made a goal to graduate with honors. I am excited to continue my upcoming years in college and look forward to the many new experiences that will aid my personal growth.

Regina

Through my one semester at college I havew learned a lot inside and outside of class. The professors at my college have helped me succeed in all of my classes and they have even helped me choose what geades i would like to teach when i graduate in three and a half years. With out going to college i would not be able to teach the future generations of children and be there to help them on their journey throught their educational expirences at their schools. If I was not in college I have no idea what i would be doing right now or what would happen to me at all. College has been great and i could not imagen life with out it.

Ciara

I have found out that I am ready to become a teacher threw our field placement program. I have been placed in a classroom I adore. I am also in the CAT program which is very amazing. I love tutoring, especially when I know I am making the childrens day. I also am involved in Read to a Child. I think Saint Marys offers alot of different oppotunities within the communitty where students can make a difference. My professors are the best they help and talk to students when they need it. They seem to care about what is going on in our lives.

I have learned to be a more outgoing and flexible person. Living on my own for a school year was definately a learning experience. I had to depend on myself for certain items and not my parents. I became more independent and mature by attending college. Being at schol has taught me so much that I can't explain. I feel like I am a more well-rounded person from just one year of college. I cannot wait for the next three years of college to see what I will learn.

Hilary

I have learned so much about myself, my family, my faith and my friends. Lessons that cannot be described with words, but will never be forgotten. I have learned not only about science, language, math, and religions, but also about people, faith, and culture. Saint Mary's has a wonderful support system, amazing study abroad programs, and talented, intelligent young women. I am only half way through, but I cannot wait to see what the next two years bring.

Frances

I have grown in leadership and confidence while honing my teaching skills. Not only do I feel I will graduate with the best teaching preperation available, I will also graduate with friends for life.

Ashton

Going to a community college is a tedious experience. Both the teachers and the students are disinterested in learning and are only there to ?check a block? so they can get on with their lives. The only reason I chose to go to community college was so I could take my general education courses at a cheaper price?but at this point I am not sure that saving an extra two hundred dollars is worth my sanity. I am a curious, intelligent, bored student. I wanted to go to school to learn, not to simply review things I learned in college! I will be so relieved when I can finally transfer to a real university because I will be able to start truly learning again. My experience at the community college has been dull, but I am sure that once I can begin attending university, my time will not be wasted.

Jill

So far, my college experience has been everything I didn't expect it to be. I come into school with a set plan of what my major would be, what activities I would do, and what I would get out of it. Now in the spring semester of my sophmore year, I have switched my major and picked up two minors, left the varsity soccer team to focus on studies, and really grown as an individual. The money aspect of Saint Mary's was the hugest factor in my college decision as I come from a middle class family and SMC is quickly heading towards the 50,000 a year mark. I knew that this school was right for me though, and sitting down with my family to make a plan has really given me a unique experience in long term money managing. It has not always been easy, but in the end, I know I made the right decision to come here. I will leave Saint Mary's with the experience and knowledge I need to have a successful career and the emotional maturity that will lead to a happier life.

christina

I really do love my college and wouldn't want otbe anywhere else. I think the most benfcial thing about my college is the relationships that are formed with friends and the faculty. You really feel comfortable here at Saint Mary's.