Winona, MN
Saint Mary's University of Minnesota

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Saint Mary's University of Minnesota

Laura

I would tell myself not to worry so much about missing home and making friends. No matter where you go you will find that group of people you want to be with. I chose to go to SMU because my sister went to school here. I loved going to school with my sister and having family on campus, but I always wonder about that other school I wanted to go to and if that was the right school for me. I am happy at SMU, but would I have been happier at Stout? I want my high school self to know that it will be fine, don't be so scared; everything will work out how it is suppose to.

Someone that wants to live in a big town and/or go to a big school.

Housing, I want there to be an option to have roommates, but have your own bedroom. Having an on-campus apartment with single bedrooms would be great.

Sara

I would definitely advise myself to finish High School completely as I actually have my GED instead of the actual High School Diploma. I would say this not because of the educational purposes alone, but for the social and networking oppotunities that you receive as a High School student. I would tell myself to start thinking about what I actually enjoy, not only what would be a good paying career, but what would fill me as a person as well. I would say not to worry about who's the most popular girl or how cute the guy in the back row to the left is, but to worry about how I can use what the teacher is saying to form a better future. I would say you can use that knowledge to become a popular successful woman and to have an amazingly gorgeous man that is just as successful. Most importantly I would say enjoy it, enjoy the tears, the hard work, the friends, enjoy every moment and every day. Make the best out of what you learn and apply it to not only your educational life, but your personal as well.

Danielle

I would like to think that I wouldn't want tell myself anything because it could have changed my future. However, on the off chance I could, I would go back and tell my high school senior self many things about college life: the good and the bad. The first thing I would expose is my assumption that I can't screw up in college. I would tell myself don't think you have to be perfect at classes but do the best you can with what you have. The second thing I would say is take career classes as well as classes for fun. College is also about finding yourself and determining what you want to do with your life, or what the next step is. Sometimes an unusual class can help with the findings. Lastly, I would convey the idea to enjoy life and the opportunities given to you throughout college. This is a crucial transitional period but yet you still don’t necessarily have as many responsibilities you will have several years down the road. Therefore, take time for yourself, meet new people, experience things because one day you'll look back on these days and smile.

William

I would tell myself that time-management is key when going to college. It is not only a place to study and take classes but rather like a place to build relationships, establish connections, and learn how to interact and work with people that you met five minutes ago. It is just as much a social exercise as it is a learning experience. There will be times that school feels like summer camp and classes and homework keep getting in the way. The best way to get to know people is just to go up to them and talk to them. Also, learn how to do homework with other people and not get distracted. There will be several times that you will need to work with people on the same assignment and you can get help as you work along with them. Oh, and naps for you are a terrible idea. It's either four hours minimum or nothing.

Unfortunately it is a small school in a small town, which leaves few choices for things like groceries or finding school supplies. Also, the school is seperated from the main town so in order to reach almost anything you need a car. It is possible to walk to some of the closer places but you can't get too much since you have to walk back and it does take a bit of time.

I would recommend this school to someone who wants small class sizes where the professors knows who you are and will remember you. Especially when he askes you why you weren't in classes in the lunch room. The classes are engaging, and have discussion elements that let the students explore the information. Someone that wants to look deeper into topics and find new understandings would do well here.

Dania

Well, for starters, I never really got to my senior year in high school, I graduated during the middle of my sophmore year in high school. But if I could go back to that semester, I would have made sure I was ready to go through the transition to college. It was a difficult change for me. My advice would be to NOT work and study at the same time, to NOT enjoy having a car more then I need to, and FOCUS on school and studying, and don't ever lose hope. I would advise myself to be the best I can, and to study really hard. I would tell myself that college is a challenge, and whether I like it or not, I will go through them. Slacking off will do nothing but hurt me in the long run. And getting into these new classes, I need to know that I CAN finish them, I can take them on, and complete them, I just need to give them time. I cannot underestimate myself, and I cannot underestimate the importance of doing the best I can in all of my classes, and in everything I do.

Jillian

I would tell myself that you need to be yourself in high school, and you should become friends with people who are in different social groups. I am almost done with my first year of college, and I have become best friends with a girl named Erika who was the head cheerleader at her old high school. Thinking back, I would have never associated myself with those girls in high school. In college, no one cares if you were the homecoming queen, most popular girl in school, or what you've done. They accept you for you are, not for who you were in high school. I think that this is important because I would never talk to the jocks, cheerleaders, or the snobby people at school. It only matters who you are in the inside, not who you present yourself on the outside. You just need to be yourself with everyone, and you don't have to put on a fake act to try to fit in. People will love you no matter what.

The best thing about my school is the size. You know everyone, and everyone knows you. The classroom sizes are around twenty five people. Due to this, you are making a one-on-one connection with your teacher. They know who you are, how you learn best, and you are not a number being called out. I also love the location. It is located in Winona, Minnesota. It has such a loving atmosphere, and Winona is beautiful. It's a small enough town, but there is also so much to do. I absoluetly love it here.

I wish I would have known to not be as scared going into college as most students are. It is a scary experience moving away from home, but the people at college make you feel so welcome. College really is your home away from home. You don't need to be scared. You are then able to meet so many new people, and you endure so many new experiences. College really is going to be the best four years of my life.

jazmarie

College has allowed me to open up my mind to a literary would that otherwise I would have shown no interest in. Not only that but it has also opened the door to many community based activities that I absolutely love being a part of. Whether it is reading to underprivileged youths or volunteering at local senior centers. Thanks to college I have become a very active member of my community.

Regina

My classmates are driven, passionate, friendly, happy, and willing to work as hard as possible to succeed.

Going to college helps me discover who I truly am, for I learn more about myself based on the choices I make at college than I ever could have learned on my own. I learned that I truly love to help people, no matter what. I have been in charge of organizing mission trips over fall and winter break for two years, and this year I became a Resident Assistant. I was inspired to do these things to make a difference in the lives of people around me. I also learned that I want the best for myself. After competing in college running, I realize how important it is to push myself and perform at my best. I am happiest when I give my all. I also take great pride in maintaining my 4.0, because I wouldn't expect less from myself. Without college, I wouldn't have discovered these all-important things about myself. I would have gotten a job, settled into my life, and never been truly successful. Now that I know what my strengths and weaknesses are, I will have a much more successful and fulfilling life, all because of things I have learned at college.

A friendly, community-oriented person should come to this school. This person should have the desire to learn and grow both academically and personally. This person should like the outdoors and living in a small town.

I've learned so much about my craft here at Saint Mary's. When I decided I wanted to make theatre my career, I knew I had to make a decision. I could start going to auditions and try to break into it that way, or get and education under my belt to give me an advantage. I chose the education. I wanted to find a place that not only had a great theatre program, but also really fit my needs and would be able to give me opportunities that other places wouldn't. When I found out Saint Mary's theatre students get to perform a show in London their junior year that was it for me. All the classes and shows I've done so far in my college career are preparing me for that semester in London. I'm very happy with what I've been given. I was cast in four plays as a freshman, including student show. That wouldn't have happened if I had gone to the Big Ten school I was considering. Saint Mary's has proved to be an excellent school for me and I couldn't be happier with my choice.

That I would need to apply myself more when it came to making friends. My whole first semester was spent sitting at my desk keeping in touch with buddies from back home. This started to add to my stress. But once I stepped out of my shell and made of point of getting to know more peopl, it made living here a lot easier.

Someone who doesn't want a good sense of family or community in their school. If you are hoping to go to some big state school this is the wrong place. We have a great sense of community here. You don't know everyone by name, but you can recognize almost everybody just by passing them in the halls.

Anne

My classmates at Saint Mary's vary in all different ethnicities, religions, and personalities, but they all share the drive to achieve their goals.

"Let us think of education as the means of developing our greatest abilities, because in each of us there is a private hope and dream which, fulfilled, can be translated into benefit for everyone and greater strength for our nation" John F Kennedy. Three years ago I began a new adventure that I though necessary rather than an opportunity. However, today I live by the words of Mr. Kennedy. I now realize that a college education is not a necessity, but instead a gift that many do not receive. Through this knowledge the most important element that I have attained from college is my education. Not to say that the friendships, and lessons learned are not important, but the education that I have gained is key to helping me achieve my goals in the future.

Saint Mary's is not a community created for one specific student. Together the different aspects that Mary's has to offer helps to adhere to a wide variety of students including graduate, transfer, and foreign exchange students. However, I will emphasize the importance of success throughout Mary's. Professors, advisors, friends and mentors join together to act as guides towards your success. Therefore, I would recommend Saint Mary's University to all students who have high goals and dreams that they wish to aspire towards.

Saint Mary's University of Minnesota administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.