Winona, MN
Saint Mary's University of Minnesota

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Saint Mary's University of Minnesota

Amy

I have learned that if I am going to truly be successful I should do what I love and Love what I do. Chosing my major has been the most difficult part of the whole process but the faculty and counselors at Citrus college have helped me so much. and pointed me in the right direction. Choosing a majjor is not about what will make you the most money, although that helps, nor is it about doing what you are best at, but rather it is about doing something you enjoy, this way you are sure to stick with it. This is why I am glad that I decided to go back to school and am glad I decided to double major.

Maurissa

I've gotten so much out of my college experience so far. I have met some of the most incredible people, including someone that I hope to spend the rest of my life with, as well as friends that I know will always be close. The education that I have received from Saint Mary's University has allowed me to consider careers that I never thought would be an option for me, especially considering that neither of my parents graduated from high school. I have learned so many social skills that I wouldn't have learned if I hadn't found myself on a college campus. I've had to learn time management, self-control, and most importantly, I've learned to take complete responsibility for my own actions. Being on a college campus turns you into an adult and provides you with the tools, education, and support to allow you to go into the world and become what you've always wanted to be, and I am sincerely grateful that I was given this opportunity.

I wish I had known more about saving money and how expensive college is! I had worked all through high school, but I would go shopping or out to eat with friends, so I left for college without much money in the bank, and there are lots of hidden expenses that you don't think about!

Someone who prefers a huge party scene shouldn't attend Saint Mary's. Saint Mary's is a small, private college where students are able to bond thanks to small class sizes as well as a small campus. Winona is a small town, and although parties on campus are numerous and easy to find, the night life of Saint Mary's is much more controlled than those of larger urban schools.

Amy

It took me a long time to get used to the college life. I come from a small family with only one brother. I have never had to share anything for the most part. Moving to a college dorm room and having to share with another girl was a learning experience for me. I had to learn to communicate my likes and dislikes to her without causing conflicts. That was a challenge at first. Now we have become good friends and confidantes. College has also taught me about organization. I have learned you do not procrastinate when it comes to homework. I am sure these skills will be very valuable when I go out into the real working world.

I love the small class sizes at St. Mary's. It is a small but friendly campus with large dorm rooms. I love the fact that I am away from home and learning to be on my own but only 40 minutes away so I can go back to visit any time I want.

The only frustrating thing I can think of would be the cafeteria food. I have never been fond of it.

Saint Mary's University is a liberal arts school and that means that music and the sciences are some of the best programs in the area. We are also known for creating well rounded students. Saint De la Salle wanted all of his students to be educated in not only thier major, but all of the areas of study. That is exactly what Saint Mary's does and that makes each student that graduates a well rounded individual with competency in all areas of study.

The advice that I would give myself would be to apply for EVERY scholarship that I could get my hands on and to expand beyond what my high school offered so that the financial aspect of college would not be so daunting. I would also tell myself to take more classes for college credit so that I could gain priority in selecting my classes and where I want to live. I would proabably also consider telling myself to take the ACT until I achieved a much higher score than I did. I did not want to spend my mother's money to take the test over and over again to I settled for what I had. What I didn't know what that if I had achieved a score that was two points higher I would have qualified for another scholarship that would have helped me out significantly. I just needed to focus more on the financial aspect of college and less on what I wanted to do once I got here. I would also tell myself to take music theory classes so that my music classes would not be so difficult.

The most frustrating thing about this school is that it costs a lot to go here and they can only help you out so much. Most loans and scholarships are based on the idea that your parents will be paying for your schooling and that is not necessarily true. I could use a lot more help fiancially and I know that I will not revievce that because my parents are well off.

Jody

If I could go back in time to when I was a high school senior and talk to myself I would tell myself to stay focused, and to work hard . That taking harder classes in high school may require more work, but that they can be truely beneficial to making college classes a little easier. That choosing the wrong college the first time around is not a big deal, to keep presisting forward and eventually you will figure out what is right for you. Seriously nobody knows what they want to be when they grow up, I know everyone says that, but it is true! Finally that enjoy college and being young because it can truely be some of the best times of your life. The friendships you make and the knowledge you learn can make you who you are.

To take more of a range of classes in High School.

Someone who is looking for a smaller environment with more of a one on one atmosphere. Who wants to be known by their name and have teachers that are giving their all.

Nikki

The small class sizes, the sense of community, the service for others, and doing your best. Work hard and play hard.

My suggestions for students in high school is to be as active as posible in clubs, athletics, and service learning projects. It is important to have independent study skills because you only have yourself to rely on in college to get your assignments complete. Stay close with friends from high school because they are a good support group when you need to talk to someone who knows you best. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Get into study groups and ask for tutors if you are struggling. My motto is study hard, work hard, and play hard. All of these can be accomplished with dedication to your goal.

Students who are loners would not like it here. This is a very small campus and we are very close with each other. If you don't have a strong faith background this campus is religious based and religion classes are expected.

Jacqueline

Dear Self, College is a place where you will grow in every aspect providing you allow yourself to do so. The fun and games along with the popularity will pass and only be a memory yet the education you recieve will help provide for your future. Study hard, what you don't understand speak up. Don't give up so easily. It does make a difference. There are no stupid questions only the ones that are not asked. Don't be hard on yourself but be hard enough to pull through. Take each class assignment one day at time. Do the assignment s as soon as possible and don't wait till the last minute. Prioritze, your courses, play time, and your life. Allow yourself for enough sleep and have good eating habits. Don't allow yourself to be talked into something that you do want to do. Accept 100% responsibilty. Remember, the more you want out of life the better your resources need to be. Reach higher than you thought you could. Don't procrastinate. A man isn't a man until he masters discipline . Live life on purpose. And be kind to others.

Bailey

Don't be afraid to reach out to people you don't know. Work hard and you'll be successful at anything. Don't give up or give in, and don't let anyone stop you from doing whats going to make you who you are. Make sure you appreciate what you have in front of you, because sometimes it won't seem as wonderful as it actually is. Make sure you study abroad and see the world, and don't let anything stop you from finding yourself. Don't be afraid to be creative and share your ideas. Make sure you get involved with a group, a club, or whatever it may be. Engage with people from another country or culture, you'd be surprised at what you can learn. Enjoy every moment, because it goes by so fast!

Missy

They are friendly, encouraging and very helpful.

They are friendly, encouraging and very helpful.

If you don't know what you want to major in, I wouldn't advise you to choose a four year school right away. I am a sophomore, half way through the year and still do not know what I would like to do. I am just choosing something I think I'm interested in. Everyone encouraged four year schools, and I never even thought about going to a 2 year school first for generals and then transfering after. Visit a lot of schools so you know which one will suit you best. I visited only two, and wish I would have taken that time seriously and looked around more to see what is out there. I do not regret my decision I made, but do look at a variety of schools. Also, don't go where your friends from high school are going. You need to move on from high school and make new friends. It's always better going home to high school friends than seeing them every day at college.

Bryan

If I could go back in time to warn myself about college, I would tell myself not to take my classes for granted, and even more, not to take my art for granted. As a dancer and an actor, I would have told myslef to be more prepared for college auditions'you need to take this seriously if you want to perform as a career. It's not always the best thing to be at a school with the biggest name; sometimes there are small schools with programs that are just as good. But if you don't do your research, you'll never really know what school is the right school for you. And even if you don't get into your top school, don't stop trying. There's not a reason in the world you should settle for anything less than the best. Finally, always take risks for the sake of your art. Don't think you have to conform to what people want to see. If they don't want you for who you are, you shouldn't want them either.

It's so secluded, I feel trapped much of the time. I'd rather be somewhere I feel free to do what I please.

Being at a Catholic school, I feel segregated sometimes because of my religion and my sexual orientation; Catholics don't take too well to gay athiests.

Saint Mary's University of Minnesota administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.