Colchester, VT
Saint Michael's College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Saint Michael's College

Shauna

There is activities for everyone to be involved in on campus. There is opportunities to be in MOVE, which is a group that has different activities from it which can range anywhere from Best Buddies, to working at an animal shelter. There is opportunities to become a tour guide, and an orientation leader. And, we also have a cheese club.

Saint Mikes is like a community. Everyone has each other's back. When I lost a family member, I had staff wishing my family sympathy, as well as all my friends here. Basically is, if you fall, people will be there to catch you.

Hey, girl. Stop writing angstfilled poems about your mother for a moment and listen up. I want to tell you what to bring to college this fall. I’ve been there. You will need to bring that smile, the one you flash your best friend to say hello, because your positive outlook is going to make the first week much easier. Bring a photo of your friends from home; you’ll want to remember where you've been, even though your past pales in comparison to your future. Pack tissues, because saying goodbye is hard, and saying that first hello is going to take even more strength. Don’t worry. You have it in you. Take with you an open mind and a burning curiosity- that is how you will learn. Carry all of your excitement and only a little bit of your fear. You will make friends, I promise. Bring a good bar of soap, because things will get messy, but every mess can be cleaned with some effort. Lastly, master a good joke. Your sense of humor will keep you laughing. Remember: college is the reward for surviving high school. You’re in for a lot of fun.

The meal plan, while extremly generous and accessable, leaves a bit to be desired in terms of food diversity and vegitarian options.

If you want to spend your next four years in an close, innovative community, than you should consider SMC. SMC emphasises self-expression, environmental conservation, social activism, and a very liberal liberal-arts education. Students work hard, play harder, and have a strong sense of loyalty and compassion for fellow classmates.

Kyra

The students at Saint Michael's College are fun-loving, compassionate and dedicated individuals that everyday strive for personal excellence.

What makes Saint Michael's College truly unique is the community and the beautiful Burlington area. The students and faculty at Saint Michael's are a tight niche community that great everyone with open arms and a warm smile, it is a vibrant area filled with warm, compassionate people. And the Burlington area is beautiful; Church Street is timeless and classy, with lovely boutiques and shops. And if shopping isn't your thing, Vermont is home to beautiful country-sides and amazing mountains that are just waiting to be explored.

If given the chance to go back in time, I would look my chubby, high school-self in the eye and simply tell that frightened, self-conscious little girl that she didn’t have to be afraid, because her future was what she made of it, and it is bright. There is no advice I would give my high school-self because I know that I would have fallen the very same path I have already taken; the path I have chosen is the right one for me.

Smile. Things will get better. Stop worrying about how much college will cost and if you go into debt that is fine, just work hard d to pay it back. Don’t wait too long to apply and even if you don’t know what you want to go for start with your general courses. It is important to stay healthy and fit so don’t give up tennis. You will be so much happier when you are in college, do not worry. Knowledge is Power and you know that, your talent for mathematics will help you go far and get any job you want. Be happy and have fun with life!

Katie

Every freshman is in the same boat as you are, meeting new friends not knowing very many people. Use the beginning months to be as friendly as possible aquainting yourself with a big smile on your face.

The exact number of students. When asking the question it was always a rough estimate answer from 2,000-3,000 but attending the school it is much smaller than this, only about 1,500, on the high school side size.

Well if you do not love snow and the freezing freezing cold you could find the weather quite frustrating, you just have to expect VT's bitter cold long winter which makes for great skiing.

Location. It can't be beat. We are just a five minute, free shuttle ride to Burlington, Vermont. If you can't find something to do here, you are hopeless. There is a fantastic music and art scene, great shopping and restaurants and Lake Champlain with biking trails and kayaking, etc. The pedestrian area of Church Street is alive in all seasons with so much to do that I could not list them all. And of course, skiiing!! Saint Mike's offers it's students a ski pass for the whole year to Smuggler's Notch for only $30.

College has allowed me to become independent and more mature, and has also brought me some life-long, incredible friends, but it has been so much more than that. College has shown me a different side of myself and of the world. A fantastic class sparked an interest in business that I never knew existed. An extracurricular club opened up an artistic side I never would have explored. A study abroad opportunity literally showed me the world. An internship brought me back to reality. Saint Michael's College has given me more than just some great memories. Saint Mike's has helped me prepare for the next phase of my life and has given me a glimpse of that future I dream of. Oh yeah, I also can make it down the advanced ski trails now in one piece! Thanks, Saint Mike's for everything.

Community. Students at Saint Mike's are very friendly and accepting of each other. Dorm room dorms are hardly ever shut and there is always a nice mix of all grade levels at campus events. Most students know each other by name, or through mutual friends which makes socializing very easy. A large number of students are involved in clubs and sports and there is always something to do when you need that break from studying. Saint Mike's has so much to offer if you are willing to just participate. Have really enjoyed my three years here!

chantel

Although I've only been attending college for about 3 months, I've highly enjoyed the experience and cherish every day here. I was nervous to start my first year at a new place. Living with new people in a new environment can be intimidating. However, after the first few weeks I found that I adapted quite well. I made friends, got emersed in my classes, involved myself in the school's community service program and am succeeding at the so called 'college experience'. I think so far the college experience has taught me to live on my own better, and to be responsible for myself, as well as to be aware of others around me. I also think it has presented me with many opportunities to help others around me, especially because my college is heavily influenced by community service. This week is hunger and homelessness awareness week and as of now I am 18.5 hours into my 24 hour fast, and currently sitting in a lean-to on the campus lawn to promote awarness about the severity of homelessness domestically as well as globally; college is teaching me to open my eyes to the world around me.

I believe that the worst thing about my school are the dining hours. I really love my school so it seems appropriate to be complaining about food at this point. The dining hall here closes at 8pm on weekdays and 6:30pm on weekends. Its outrageous. What are broke college students supposed to do when they're hungry, but the meal plan they're paying about 8grand for per year is completely useless because the dining hall is closed? It's hard because then I have to go out and buy food because I can't utilize the facilities provided.

Cory

I have gained a lot of knowledge in my studies, classes and books and mostly I've about myself through experiences, I gained a life long freinds from social networking, college activities and buidling a future through oppertunities being presented to me.

Daniel

Coming to college, I never expected to be dragged into the world of academia. However, the amazing professors I had and the wonderful time I spent abroad convinced me that I should spend my life pursuing the intellectual. I fell in love with Medieval History while attending St. Michael's, and I was greatly encouraged by all my professors. I delved into the study of it as much as I could, learning Latin and Italian so I could study primary source documents. I am even writing a senior thesis that uses Medieval Latin chronicles as the main source of research material. I applied for Graduate programs and was accepted by the University of Chicago, where my history idol, David Nirenberg, works. I want desperately to attend there and eventually matriculate into their doctoral program, but I only received one-third of the tuition as financial aid, leaving me to come up with $30,000. I am already in huge amounts of debt from my undergraduate career ($40,000) and my parents have been wiped clean by their mortgage, paying for college for my brother and I, and every day bills. This money would help me acheive my goal in life.

I wish I had known how much the tuition would be raised while I was here. I also wish I had thought a little more about how cold it would be. Other than that, loved it.

Dear 17 year old Lauren, When the tour guide mentioned it gets cold enough here that people wear ski goggles while walking to class, you should have ran for the hills!! Everyone thought you were crazy to consider a small liberal arts Catholic college in snow ridden Vermont. Instead you followed your instincts and made the best decision ever. Now you are the one shredding down the slopes at Smugglers Notch using the $30 ski pass available to SMC students. Can you believe that at Saint Michael?s College you have gone white-water rafting, tried sushi, designed your own t-shirt, learned how to develop film, and saw Jay-Z in Montreal! You have attended Broadway shows at the Flynn Center and made some amazing friends. Haha I know that it seems unbelievable, but it is true. You have discarded your inhibitions and tried new and sometimes scary things! Way to go! I am so proud of you for letting down the walls and being brave enough to be yourself, freckles and all. Sincerely, 19 year old Lauren (same you just better hair style)

Even though there is public transportation downtown to the shopping area, I wish I had known how hard it is to be without a car on campus. The bus service does not operate on Sundays, a day in which I have free-time and would like to take advantage of the stores and restaurants downtown. It is also hard to get a job off-campus if I do not have a reliable form of transporation.

I have had the experience of taking a 3 credit class where I had more work assigned and more expected from me than any of the 4 credit classes I have taken. However, my school is in the process of addressing this issue and making all the courses count for the same weight.

Saint Michael's College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.