Saint Xavier University

« See more reviews of Saint Xavier University

In order to succeed in college several criteria must be met. Colleges and universities are as diverse as the communities they are in. Thus, it is important for a student to take time to consider the fact that the college they attend is suited properly for them. Students must consider whether they enjoy large classes or small classes, rural life or city life, public schools or private schools, as well as have a general idea of what field of study they want to pursue. Once these questions have been answered, a student can substancially narrow his or her choices of possible colleges down. When making the final decision on what college to attend, it is important to look at the average students who are attending that school on a daily basis. Schools will always put their best foot forward on orientation day, so go on a private tour when the school isn't having orientation (many schools offer this option), and look at what the day-to-day life at the college is like. If you can picture yourself being happy at that college, and in your field of study, then that it is probably the right college for you.

Visit the colleges that you are interested in and even some that you are not interested. Compare tuition and expenses and the offered financial aid options and opportunities. Compare the programs of study and the activities at each school. Even though I did not do it, I would reccomend going to a community college for general education classes first if tuition costs are a concern, as long as you know what you want to major in and where you will be completing your degree. That way you can work with both schools to plan your courses and know that your credits will transfer. When choosing classes, especially general education classes, read the course discriptions and take classes that you are interested in, such as taking Nutrition instead of geology for your science requirement. Pay attention to school activities; sometimes you can go to sporting events and theatrical events at students rates. The college experience is not just about getting a degree so you can get a job; it's the experience of being part of a team and meeting people that you will be connected to forever.

I highly recommend that you attend a community college first. The loans you take out to attend a 4-year university are going to haunt you for the rest of your life. Your debt will be so high that you won't know what to do with it. Play it smart and finish your 2 year degree first and then work your way up. An Associates will allow you to work in your field, get experience, and allow you to get into a job that will offer tuition reimbursement. Also, look up scholarships. Even if you have the grades, there are plenty of scholarships that do not require a high GPA or for you to be involved in extracurricular activities. Lastly, I suggest you wait to get married and have children until you are completely done with your education. Although having a family is awesome, they will consume a lot of your time because there are many experiences you will not want to miss out on which may compromise your ability to successfully finish your education. Be smart and put your education before anything else because your education will make you or break you.

My college education and experience has by far proved very vaulable to me. I have recieved valuable knowledge from classes which has helped me not only achieve in my studies, but as well as in the work setting and social setting. I have also built valuable relationships with friends that I have met throughout my college experience. I am very proud of my personal gain ,but most of all, my college experience has been the most valuable because of the influence I've had on my family. I am the first to go to college from my family and I have influenced my little sisters through my personal stories of hard work, fun and dedication to want to go to a university to study. It makes me proud and satisfied to know that my hardwork and gain of knowledge has impacted my sisters. They are very proud of me. They are part of my motivation to finish college and pursue graduate school; I want a good education that will allow me to find a good job in order so that I could afford to pay for their college so they too could gain a valuable experience.

Dear Meghan, I know you are very nervous right now. It is hard to imagine not being in high school anymore, and starting something new is always a little scary. However, you will come to realize that there is nothing to fear at all. College opens up a new door of possibilites, and it also starts a new chapter of your life. College not only allows you to be more independent, but it also allows you to have the ultimate say in your overall education. You choose your classes; you make your own path. While this all may seem a little overwhelming, trust me when I say it is exciting! Also, do not worry about meeting new people. Be true to yourself and everything will work out. Try to keep this in mind: a new environment with new people is only new for one day because after that one day it just becomes part of a routine. Believing in yourself combined with hard work will take your farther than you actually think. Enjoy the time you have left in high school, but also try to have an optimistic attitude for what your future holds.

Dear Self, First off, how cool is it that I am able to write to you and tell you everything that you need to know to survive in the real world. Oh, before you wonder what the "real world" is, let me just tell you that it also includes people other than your closest friends, family and school (go figure!). Now, I know how ridiculously tired you are of graduates coming back and blurting out the same advice on how to do well in college. This advice I'm about to give you may come as a surprise but....THEY ARE RIGHT!! College is nothing like high school. No professor is going to give you thousands of chances to turn in late work, nobody is going to pressure you to study and NOBODY will care more than you will if you fail. So, I suggest that you work on that little procrastination problem you have. Also, it wouldn't kill you to fill out more scholarships. Trust me, that will save you from spending money on tylenol from the headaches you get from mom pestering you about it. Other than that, you should be fine. Love, Your Future Self

As a 42 year old student, my advice would be to go straight to college and complete the education process. Don't take a year off , because something always comes up and it is very hard to return to school after some time has past. Focus on an education. Be confident, egar, and straight forward. Education is one of the most important things any one person can do for themselves. If a senior chooses a good profession, goes straight to college after high school and stays focused on the prize only good things can come from it. Many kids graduate from high school and want to be free, however being a student is one of the most freeing feelings ever. If you are in love with your high school sweet heart, I say go for it but, before you make that choice ask yourself, what kind of parent do you want to be? What kinds of things do you want to provide for your true love? Do you want your whole life to be a struggle? Once you answer those simple questions the anwer will lead you right to college. Education is power! Power rely's on education!

Everyone knows about the basics when it comes to choosing a college; major, location, financial aid, blah, blah, blah. So for the sake of time, I'll skip all that stuff. The student should visit the college and observe the environment. You can spend hours doing reseach online and reading brochures but the college visit is when you get a true snapshot of what your life at that school will be like. You should visit on a weekday as well as a weekend. It's a good idea to attend a class and a sporting event. If the the option is available, spend the night in one the dorms. To make the most of your experience, you should join any clubs that interest you and take an active role on campus. With classes, work, and sports or whatever responsibilities you have, it may seem like you don't have time for any additional activities but if you use your time wisely you will. Always make at least one friend in every class and don't be afraid to speak up and voice your opinion. Always put 100% into your academic work. It will pay off.

The first piece of advice I would give myself is to choose the college I planned to go to more carefully. I would tell myself to select a university that has my field of study as a priority and not just because all my friends were going there. Furthermore, transferring schools is complicated and I would save the future me from many sleepless nights. The second piece of advice I would give myself is to change my procrastination ways. Although they didn’t hinder me in high school, college is a whole different ball game. I’d advice myself to study before hand and save my future self from all the stress and frustration of cramming it all in my brain the night before. The last piece of advice I’d tell myself before I got sent back to the future is to make connections with my professors. They actually do want me to succeed in their course and will take the time to help me when needed. Also, the better connected I am with a professor the more sincere the recommendation letter will be when I need it for medical school.

In order to get the most out of college you must GET INVOLVED! College is full of opportunites. Although you must stay motivated in your studies, it is important to make time to have fun, do service, network, and maintain a social life. Getting involved can lead to a potential job, new friends, the building of confidence and character, better cultural understanding of the world, and shapes you into a leader for the future. When picking out a college, make sure you find college that fits your personality and lifestyle. You should also think ahead and plan out your entire four-years of college to make sure your on track to graduate on-time or even be able to fit a study abroad program if you desire. The best advice I can give to anyone is that college is what you make it to be. You can make a boring school exciting, you can turn a unsuccessful student organization into a successful one, you can impact others around, sometimes with out even knowing it, as long as you have the will and a postive attitude.