Salem, MA
Salem State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Salem State University

Fixed  rate loan

Chelsea

I would tell my Senior self not to let a break up get in the way of being social and not to let it interfer with school work. Make sure to read and re-read all of my finicial aide information. Apply for ever scholorship under the sun. Don't take that semester off, just find away. Go right for the art program, don't let the thought you might not make it ever cross your mind. Apply to more than two schools. Find a way to fund your first choice, just getting in really isn't enough. Put yourself out there socially and don't worry so much what people think about you, you will find your place. Be yourself 110% Most of the people here don't know you or what you did in high School. This is a new slate and nothing before it matters. Do what you have to do to get where you want to go, don't let anything hold you back.

I have a hard time pinpointing a negative thing about my school but I guess I would have to say the availabilty of some of the courses. As an art major I'm required to take certain classes and often times those classes are full so it makes it hard to get the classes I need.

Salem State College is a medium campus with the feel of a small campus. If you're looking for a large campus feel then SSC isn't the school for you. The school is set right in the city of Salem so if you're looking for a school in a more rural area SSC also isn't for you.

Dan

What is unique about Salem State College is the diversity of students. over 50 percent of students like myself are transfer students.

I believe the best advice I could give to myself in regards to what I know now about college and making the transition from High school is telling myself to stay focus in my academics, get good grades, and apply for scholarships. Those were some of the biggest faults I made when I was a High school student. I would also tell myself to speak up and ask questions, I found myself as a High school student afraid to talk to teachers and guidance councilors for the fear of looking stupid. Now I realize how much support and advice I missed from my High school that I could have taken advantage of.

I believe the worst thing in regards to my school would have to be the parking situation.

Jenny

My classmates are very friendly, funny, and they're easy to get along with.

My classmates are very friendly, funny, and they're easy to get along with.

It is a very diverse college and it's not too big. There's all kinds of majors that students can pursue. Professors and advisors are always there to help you when you need it. They love what they're doing and they're passionate about what they're teaching. Most of the students are commuter students so it's very easy to meet and get along with classmates.

If i could go back to when I was a high school senior, I would tell myself to always be true to myself and to always be humble. Going to college can definitely change who you are, who you hang out with, and who you really consider you're friends. Don't get caught up in all the drama or social issues that may occur because it can and will affect who you are and how well you will do academically. I would also tell myself to just do the best I possibly can. Don't let others judge you and your decisions to do what you want; not just fellow classmates but parents and friends. Your parents might want you to become a doctor or a lawyer, but follow your heart and do what you want to do. Do something you love because you're going to be doing it for the rest of your life, so enjoy it and believe in yourself. College can be very stressful, but make sure you enjoy your time with your friends as well. We all need our breaks from all that studying.

Blair

Salem State College is a small, community-based school filled with diverse students, both in culture and major, and with various events held by school organizations, creating a welcoming environment and an engaging campus.

My classmates come from a variety of different backgrounds though every single one of them has a place in some group on campus, whether it is in the dorms, academically, or through sports and clubs.

When I applied to college, I applied as a Nursing major. My family was incredibly proud of me, and after being accepted by my first choice, I was quite excited myself. During orientation, I went to the major introduction meeting with high hopes and left realizing I had made the wrong decision. Nursing is an incredible major, however I knew my emotions would get in the way of my career. I was terrified to tell my mom I wanted to switch my major to another passion of mine - Music. My mom was so proud of me becoming a nurse. It killed me to think I might disappoint her. However, I gathered up my courage and told her my decision. She was disappointed, but only because I'd worried so much and didn't feel I could tell her. Today, I'm an incredibly happy Music major and my mom has never been prouder. She's happy I decided to follow my heart. I wish I could go back to my high school and tell myself not to have felt pressured by expectations and to have followed my dreams. Though it took some time, I'm on the right path now.

brigitte

I would say "Give it all you got." Don't waste your mind on the mundane. Stay focused and continue with your education until you earn your Phd. You can do it. Don't worry if you aren't sure about which field you want to build a career in....just begin the journey and follow the path that appeals to you as you work your way through college. You WILL figure it out. A lot of the things you worry about now will seem silly in a few years...trust me on that. You need to do this for you...no one can do it for you. It's time to step up and take care of yourself...to be responsible for your future. Don't waste your time doubting your abilities. Resist the temptation to look at how much must be completed before you earn your degree(s). Instead, focus on the task at hand. Nothing is particularly difficult if you break it down into small pieces. May sound cliche, but slow and steady definitely wins the race. Before you know it, you will be looking back...degree in hand...wondering how it all flew by so quickly.

Lindsay

Salem State College is a big commuter school. I really only looked into it for the nursing program. It is known for its nursing program and they keep they're students very interested. It wasn't as expensive as other schools that I had looked at. So with the great nursing program reputation and the not so expensive tuition,I decided this would be the best school for me.

The advice that I would give to myself as a high school senior, would be to work as much as I possibly could throughout the summer and save as much money as I could. Being a nursing student makes it extremely hard to balance a job and school. The nursing program is extremely time consuming and doesn't leave much space for any free time. I know that when I become a nurse I will be very satisfied with my choice to attend Salem State College for Nursing, but at the moment I am struggling to believe that I won't be in debt for the rest of my life because of all of these loans. I love my school and my major, I just wish I was able to have money saved away somewhere to help me out. I would also tell myself to make sure I figure out good study habits. In high school I wasn't really taught how to study, and now that I am in college, I have a hard time trying to figure out how to study for all of the nursing information.

I like the clinical rotations in the nursing program. Each clinical group is small, about 6 students, which allows us to form great relationships with our professors and our peers. It also allows us to get extra help whenever we may need it.

Nahomie

The classmates at Salemstate are open spirited, helpful, and sometimes helpful.

The classmates at Salemstate are open spirited, helpful, and sometimes helpful.

Find a college that you can see yourself focusing in, first semester freshman year is the hardest semester distractions, also look for a college with good tutoring programs and writing centers, they help you alot. Lastly, for the students, dont pay attention to the partying at the school, look at the academics, could this school really provide you with everything you want.

The best thing about the school is the many groups that they have at the school. You will be able to find a group you can join. Also, you meet friends through these groups.

Rob

I like how it is not in the middle of no where, the people, and the students of disabilities program.

I would recommend a state school due to this economy, and I would also say make sure its not in the middle of no where, where everyone goes home on the weekends

Salem State campus is small but the people here have big personalities.

Salem State campus is small but the people here have big personalities.

I would have to say pick somewhere not too close to home but just enough distance away so your parents can come pick you up when you want to come home. I really like small classes so I can have more one on one time with my professors if I need it. Try to have a positive attitude and be open to new people and experiences.

I tell them about my professors and about the interesting classes I have taken.

Encouraging, competitive, and intelligent.

Encouraging, competitive, and intelligent.

Go to the college and take the tour. Don't always judge a book by its cover. Freshman dorms are always going to be gross. Look at graduation rates and statistics. Make it the time of your life.

Anyone who is looking for a career in nursing, criminal justice, and education.

Salem State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.