Salem, MA
Salem State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Salem State University

Fixed  rate loan

Fixed  rate loan

Kaitlyn

Great professors who are willing to help you if you ask.

Great professors who are willing to help you if you ask.

I have attended 3 different schools throughout the 4 years that I have been in school. I did not know what I wanted, and because of that I was extremely lost and confused in the beginning. Throughout the past 4 years I have really discovered who I am. It has been very difficult at times, but even more rewarding than I ever could have imagined. I would not change a thing. I have become the type of student, friend, athelete, and sister that I can honestly say that I am proud of. I owe a lot of that to Salem State College. During my time at Salem State College I have discovered exactly what I want to do in life and I could not be happier.

The administration (not the professors) are VERY unorganized and often lose things, so you really need to stay on top of them, and make sure you save reciepts that they give you.

angie

What I have learned from my college experience so far is that your surrounded with all kinds of people and its up to you how you cope with it. In college you grow to the person that your meant and suppose to be with the help of the people your around on the daily bases. In college I learned early on what I wanted out of life and what I didnt want out of life; which to me is amazing at such an early age. I know its going to take a lot of hard work but I know through college I can make it. Its vaulable to attend college ecspecially in the economy now because most jobs look upon college graduates rather than high school graduates and nothing else. For me if I have to chance to further my education why not take the chance that some others can only dream of.

The best thing about my school that I've seen so far just from the visits is the diversity of students that attends. Diversity is very important to me because I would like to have as many experiences as possible while living on a campus.

When I talk to my friends I brag about how much freedom you get living on campus in college than at home while in high school. I brag about the hot college parties and older and mature people. I brag about how you make your own decsions after your first semester freshmen year is over on when and what time you want to go to classes.

JULIET

I got everything I ever wanted from a college education and more - and for half as much as what students pay in other colleges/universities in Massachusetts. I got a job offer one year prior to graduating, by Ernst & Young in Boston, a firm that interned with in my junior year. I have no regrets- My professors helped me become all that I could be and encouraged me to rise above average.

Small classes, Competitive majors and State-of-the-art technology

Classes fill up pretty fast, you have to be fast when registration begins. The shuttles going between campuses do take long- however, all campuses are at a reasonable walking distance

Chris

Its kind of a dump - the schol doesn't much care for students needs -slow to respond to problems. A very below average college experience.

It has a decent Theater program which is why i am there. Otherwise i would never have gone here. And it is cheap for college

I have loved the theater program - most of all rehearsing and performing in various shows. I have enjoyed some of my classes, I like my advisor, and especially some of the older, more serious theater/tech/directing students. I always love learning more about performance, and improving. I have learned what kind of person i dont want to be - by my contact and observation of other students. While i very much look forward to performing in several upcoming plays and musicals, I feel like I have gotten most of what is available in class work and courses available for my major. Some of my teachers have been great to me, and I have learned some, maybe more than I think. I have learned how much i desire to really study this craft, and how hungry I am to learn more, and I have learned more about who I am, and who/ or what kind of person i do not want to be.

Maureen

This school is a liberal arts college dedicated to teacher education and populated mostly by commuting students.

I attended Salem State College after transferring from a local community college. The transition was made easier by the intimate class sizes and the availability of good career counseling. At the time, this was also an extremely affordable endeavor, so I was able to graduate from college with no debt. I was unsure of my future plans when I left community college, and my self-esteem was fragile. I was fearful of making life choices and living independent of my family of origin. Because this was a local college, I was initially able to commute from my home with friends I was comfortable with. As I became more involved in the academic community, I also began to broaden my group of friends and interests. Soon, I met new friends I would share an apartment with, and thus began my move towards independant living. I attribute my transition to becoming a successful young adult and elementary school teacher to the importance my college placed on realizing the individual needs of their student population, and nurturing them towards their goals. I have internalized this philosophy and have used this as a motivating factor in all my personal and work relationships.

Anyone interested in a liberal arts education with an emphasis on teacher education. Also, it is conveniently located and an easy commute from many surrounding communities, so anyone interested in living away from home but noit necessarily in a dormatory environment would benefit from this location.

Theresa

My college experience has been a very good one for me. Leaving my home and being able to live away and by myself has been an awesome experience. Meeting new people and experiencing new things has helped me to grow and develop as an adult. The school that I am attending is very good and I have learned alot from my professors and my new friends. I would not trade this experience for the world and I cannot wait to continue my education next year and experience all of the things that college still has to offer me.

The best thing about this school is it's diversity. There are so many different people here and you are able to meet so many new and interesting people. Also, the school is very student-friendly. Everyone is willing to help out and the student life here is very good. I would recommend this school to anyone wanting a good college, because of its diversity and its fair tuition rates.

Salem State is most widely known for their awesome Nursing program and their Criminal Justice Program. The Nursing program is very competitive and very difficult to get into but Salem State is respected for its good Nursing program and many hospitals prefer this degree over other competing schools. It is also known for its historic location, right in the heart of Salem, MA. City of the Salem Witch Trials!

Salem State is surrounded by lush history. The school makes it easy to learn about everything regarding the Salem Witch Trials, which are very interesting. Walking outside of the college, you can see some of the first houses built in America, places where importat historical evens took place, such as the Hose of Seven Gables which is right down the street. There is always something to explore here.

I would tell myself to explore more options. I decided to attend a close, safe college instead of venturing out into the world. It is impossible to reach your goals in life without taking chances. I would also tell myself to take school work more seriously and give every class my best effort. I got through high school with modest grades, but I plan to give everytign my all in college. Finally, I would tell myself to aim high and to never settle. Every person has the ability to change the world and make a difference. I plan to be a part of that difference in the future.

Chelsea

I would tell my Senior self not to let a break up get in the way of being social and not to let it interfer with school work. Make sure to read and re-read all of my finicial aide information. Apply for ever scholorship under the sun. Don't take that semester off, just find away. Go right for the art program, don't let the thought you might not make it ever cross your mind. Apply to more than two schools. Find a way to fund your first choice, just getting in really isn't enough. Put yourself out there socially and don't worry so much what people think about you, you will find your place. Be yourself 110% Most of the people here don't know you or what you did in high School. This is a new slate and nothing before it matters. Do what you have to do to get where you want to go, don't let anything hold you back.

I have a hard time pinpointing a negative thing about my school but I guess I would have to say the availabilty of some of the courses. As an art major I'm required to take certain classes and often times those classes are full so it makes it hard to get the classes I need.

Salem State College is a medium campus with the feel of a small campus. If you're looking for a large campus feel then SSC isn't the school for you. The school is set right in the city of Salem so if you're looking for a school in a more rural area SSC also isn't for you.

Dan

What is unique about Salem State College is the diversity of students. over 50 percent of students like myself are transfer students.

I believe the best advice I could give to myself in regards to what I know now about college and making the transition from High school is telling myself to stay focus in my academics, get good grades, and apply for scholarships. Those were some of the biggest faults I made when I was a High school student. I would also tell myself to speak up and ask questions, I found myself as a High school student afraid to talk to teachers and guidance councilors for the fear of looking stupid. Now I realize how much support and advice I missed from my High school that I could have taken advantage of.

I believe the worst thing in regards to my school would have to be the parking situation.

Jenny

My classmates are very friendly, funny, and they're easy to get along with.

My classmates are very friendly, funny, and they're easy to get along with.

It is a very diverse college and it's not too big. There's all kinds of majors that students can pursue. Professors and advisors are always there to help you when you need it. They love what they're doing and they're passionate about what they're teaching. Most of the students are commuter students so it's very easy to meet and get along with classmates.

If i could go back to when I was a high school senior, I would tell myself to always be true to myself and to always be humble. Going to college can definitely change who you are, who you hang out with, and who you really consider you're friends. Don't get caught up in all the drama or social issues that may occur because it can and will affect who you are and how well you will do academically. I would also tell myself to just do the best I possibly can. Don't let others judge you and your decisions to do what you want; not just fellow classmates but parents and friends. Your parents might want you to become a doctor or a lawyer, but follow your heart and do what you want to do. Do something you love because you're going to be doing it for the rest of your life, so enjoy it and believe in yourself. College can be very stressful, but make sure you enjoy your time with your friends as well. We all need our breaks from all that studying.

Salem State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.