Salem State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Salem State University

Owen

Salem State is a great well rounded state school. It has a variety of opportunities on and off campus for students to regularly explore themselves and the city of Salem. Overall life on and around campus is pretty safe and there are endless fun activities to partake in on campus and around the city.

John

Salem State gave me another chance at college. I find it much better and easier to attend than my previous university due to the smaller sizes of classes, bigger focus on education, and well-being of students. Here, everyone has the chance to succeed with all the available resources and availability of resources. Not many people take advantage of these at other schools, but since it is a small school, there's always time to get in. I've had a much better experience here inside the classroom than any other school and university I have been too.

Chyenne

I absolutely love my school! I honestly regret not being more involved in previous years, I wish I wasn’t so shy and I wish I had more time to be in all the groups I am interested in! Most of our professors I have taken classes with have amazing availability and truly care about us excelling.

Heather

Salem State by far is a great campus, the people are respectful and the campus is amazing.

michaela

I live over an hour away and i drive there every day because the opportunities i get from this school is worth it. The minute I went to see the campus i fell in love. everyone is so friendly and there's no drama. the professors are always there to help you and instead of a huge class with 200 kids where they have no idea who you are, they get to know your names and try to help you succeed in the classroom. There is also a ton of offices for different things that will help you accomplish what you need. I love the people and staff, it is also known as one of the most diverse schools in the state of Massachusetts so no matter who you are or where you come from there is a place for you.

Sandy

Overall, I love it here. The school truly does care about your well-being and your experience here at Salem State. All schools have their flaws, there's no perfect university. SSU can most definitely improve the dining hall food; I know many students who have gotten sick from the food. However, we did make a change, and ended up having one of the dining halls take our meal swipes for lunch rather than using our Dining Dollars! There's no other university like Salem State, and I'm a proud Viking!

Salem State University is growing but I feel like I'm paying for the name (they recently upgraded from 'College'). They focus on being a Liberal Arts school and force you to take many pointless courses that keep you at the college for five or six years if you start undeclared. The music department is dedicated and growing rapidly. It has better faculty than any surrounding schools. The faculty are talented, passionate, brilliant, and pass on skills and knowledge applicable to music and to life. My Salem State pride comes from the music department that I am so proud to be a part of.

Aquissana

Yay

Aquissana

Salem State can be an enjoyable place for many if they put in the effort. Attending events is very important to gain relationships with other students. If you are a commuter it becomes harder to dive into the culture and gain great life long friends so I suggest staying for events, games and talking to classmates.

Bryante

The school is great in academics and housing. There isn't a real party scene unless you would like to party in the dorms every weekend. There isn't much to do in Salem period. If you don't have a car then it's kind of a hit or miss. When you come here, try to find places and people you fit in with and put yourself out there or you'll literally be in your dorm or room every weekend of the semester.

Abigail

I love it there. The Campus is beautiful, you're a 20 mintue walk from down town Salem. They students and fauilty are friendly and push you do you're best. The foods pretty good. There all something to do whether its on campus, a school event, or off campus. You'll never be bored.

LAURYNNS

Its a great school to get your education. Your explore new things everyday if you are active on campus. Some people claim, Salem State sucks because they do not participate on anything. Therefore they do not really know what they are missing out. When you join on campus activities, you meet new connections everyday, you get to know them, meet new teachers and helps you in the long run.

Anna

I am very happy with my choice to attend SSU. The food is awful, but most colleges don't have the best food either. I'm pleased with the class sizes, they're intimate and you can actually get to know your professor. The location is great; there are things to do in downtown and Boston is only a short train ride away. Overall, I really do like SSU.

Gabrielle

Salem State University is a welcoming place located in a beautiful campus. There are shops, pharmacies and food places nearby that will facilitate your life as a college student. There are some negative sides to Salem State University, like at every single school, and that includes the dining hall food and how early everything closes around the city. Other than that, the Nursing program has been great and my classes and professors are exactly what I was looking for. The program is truly excellent! I also am very grateful to have found my awesome roommate, and can say that the dorms are a place where you will make friends if you put yourself out there.

When I first got Salem State I felt like it was a little hard to get involved. I do love it because everyone is so sweet, but I do think that they need to be more open about the opportunities that are available. I absolutely love my roommates and have grown very close to them however some of the dorms are exactly what I would have thought they would’ve been like. Be current one that I am living in is decently old, and dirty. However you do get used to it. My favorite part of Salem State is the gym. They have an absolutely beautiful gym which I love working out in, not only that but they offer several classes to take part in. Another beautiful part of Salem State is the library, it is rather large and has absolutely everything you’re looking for. I do love my college even though some parts of it are all that beautiful.

Keyla

While Salem State has very bright and hard working students, the biggest flaw of the university is that they do not listen to their students who have historically marginalized identities. Often they express the lack of support they receive from the school and time and time again, they are simply ignore or they pretend to make a change and it never comes to fruition.

Jaii

It’s a good school like any school they need work. Overall they’re not bad for a state school. 4 years go by quick. The professors are caring , they’re available. Some of them are just awful but those are far and few in between. The others are amazing and they’ll really become great mentors.

Jeannette

Salem State University offers great education and I am taking full advantage of it!

The academics, professors and facilities are really good. The housing is pretty good depending on the building, the freshmen dorms are old. The food could definitely use some work. The location is really cool. It's a short walk from the beach and the park, which is a nice place to go to study and hang out and downtown can be pretty exciting.

Ashleigh

Salem Sate University is overall a good school. The teachers I've had are committed to helping you succeed, your advisor will work with you to make sure your college plan works, the gen eds are super easy to fulfill since the requirements are broader and more flexible. My only complaint is that the food is a bit meh sometimes and I wish there were places you could cook on campus, but that can be helped with a quick walk downtown or just across the street. The dorms are nice and well maintained.

I really like it here at Salem State University and I have a lot of friends who attend here that like it as well. It is one of the better state run universities from what I have heard and I am not ashamed to tell people that it is where I attend. If there is one low point here at Salem , it is definitely the food, but there are plenty of off campus places to eat.

Theresa

It is a good cheap school. You will get a degree without selling your soul. However, there is not a big community here. It is mostly a commuter school so there is little school spirit and the sports do mediocre. Most people just go to class then go home.

Caleb

Salem State is a good affordable option for commuters in the Salem area as well as for potential nursing students. Unfortunately, that's where the majority of this universities benefits stop. There is virtually no nighlife for the under 21 crowd, the dining halls options are borderline inedible, and a good portion of the professors put in less effort than your high school teachers probably did.

Michelle

Salem State University is in the Halloween town of America it is very unique, given its history with the Salem witch trials. The faculty is very direct, and expects the best from you. The groups and communities on campus are very close knit. And where I met most of my friends for life. It is growing in diversity and has its own special charm. It's definitely place that you make it what you want it to be. There is something for everyone but you definitely have to go and put yourself out there or you could find yourself not getting the full experience.

Salem is a decent enough school. Definitely getting what you pay for with the crumbling buildings and sub-par cafeterias. The school needs to dedicate some of its resources to fixing and maintaining old facilities rather than building new ones. I only have experience with the Theatre professors, and they are generally very nice and helpful. Never been turned down when I had questions.

Berny

Salem State was never at the top of my list. It was one of those schools I shoved in the back of my mind- just incase". When I finally got on campus, however, I was surprised at what I discovered. The SSU community is not one that you find at just any college or university. The individuals- from staff to students- are very welcoming and approachable. Salem State is filled with vibrant students with a yearn to grow more knowledgeable in all aspects of their life. The kind of support and encouragement displayed is remarkable. Salem State is more than just a college. Its a home for students to grow and flourish. Its the foundation for a thriving, successful future. Yes, it has its flaws but overall its truly an amazing experience and a great opportunity.

Salem State is just like any other state school. Common core requirements overtake classes students actual want to take. The academic buildings and dorms are nice. The food is awful, but most other colleges do not have the best food either. Some of the professors probably should not be teaching, but most get the job done. Overall, not a bad school.

I transferred to Salem State my sophomore year which gives me the ability to compare it to other schools. The students are very friendly and welcoming though the transfer process offered is not great. The food leaves a lot to be desired while the party scene is more than enough to fill your weekend. The town of Salem is rich with history so there is always something new to do and discover. Salem State has some very interesting clubs and classes though the classes are often hard to get into due to the awful registration process. The professors, in my experience, have been quite smart and passionate about their subject but overall not very eager to go above and beyond to help students. All things considered, I think that Salem State University is a good school with a lot of good people but like anything in life it is not perfect.

Salem state is a welcoming, open- minded, and diverse community. After have gone through my first semester, I noticed they strive to make the best of it's community and make sure the students succeed. I'm very grateful for having an opportunity to go here.

raquel

I love salem state university, I feel extremely safe there, the people who work there are so nice and if you ever need help with anything they are always available to help you. I spend most of my time in the library and they have a huge variety of books and rooms which you can use to study with your friends.

Kaila

I am a freshman living at home, and i can honestly say i wouldnt have chosen another school. I am very happy i went here, the students are kind, the teachers are kind, and there are so many majors to chose from, and there are about 100 classes i want to take (not possible, unfortunately). Its an affordable school, and the only complaint i have is the food is mediocre, but hey, its college.

Adrianna

It is my first semester and I love it here. The people are nice for the most part, I have great professors and once you get used to it, it isn't as sketchy at night. I have a 4.0 and I don't dread going to my classes. The only thing that could be better is the food.

Anna

Salem State has a lot to work on. The campus is nice, some good people here and there, but they really need to work on making the minority feel safe and welcomed in the school. The food is just terrible, but sometimes its good rarely though. They are good at announcing events happening around campus. They really need to work on keeping promises made to the students.

Dairine

I love Salem state university. I think the professors are very involved and want to see their students succeed. The class sizes are perfect and resources are available everywhere. The food could be better but there are always options. The campus housing is great. The dorms are pretty spacious!

Justin

In short, Salem State University is a well-respected educational facility that prides itself on its campus resources and knowledgeable professors. While campus life for current residents could be improved on, including first-year dormitories and quality of meals at dining facilities, the location itself, being the Halloween capital of the world, makes up for it. Salem State is the perfect university for someone looking for a well-rounded education at a rather small school. Salem State feels smaller in population than it actually is, giving it a wholesome community feel.

Madison

I think Salem State University is a fantastic school with amazing people and great opportunities. The small-city atmosphere is perfect for someone who wants a bit of business but grew up in suburbs. The multiple campuses are in walking distance, which makes it a great campus if a student doesn't have a car. There are multiple residence halls, making the community here very involved. The resources on campus are amazing as well, as we have 3 dining halls and plenty of organizations to help student growth.

Cindy

I really loved the diversity of the student population, it lead to a diverse views and opinions in and out of the classroom. There were a of non-traditional college students and many commuted. That made it challenging for campus life and finding a community of people to hang out with. I really did enjoy my experience there and really appreciate the Campus Educators on Sexual Assault group that did a lot of prevention work too.

michael

We will have parking opening up nearby. It's a large lot and a literal 3-minute walk to campus. Please reach out at [email protected] to reserve your space for the semester or year round.

Salem State University's strongest suit is diversity, and is among one of the most individualistic cities in the Boston area. This correlation between the multitudes of unique activities and conversational people allows residents to explore themselves, as well as give them the chance to create new incredible experiences to learn and grow from. This school truly is dedicated to giving its students opportunities to enjoy campus life, but the professors on the academic side of things really do push us to be the best we can and encourage us daily, in or out of class, and that takes the cake overall.

Pa

Salem State University is a beautiful campus. If you get involved in the school, you can make your college experience more fun and worth it. There are many resources, staff, and facilitators, who are always there to help you emotionally and physically.

It is a very good academic school. Every professor I have had has really cared about the students and are immensely helpful and available. The biggest complaint I hear is in the food, which is being overhauled this year. Definitely a school to look into if you favor your learning.

Honestly, it's not the worst school in the world but it definitely could be better. I only really am attending because it was the cheapest option of the three I had in mind. However I really love the academics, it's just the people could be a bit friendlier. its a troop to get to downtown because its a 30-minute walk and the buses don't run often. But there's a 15-minute walking/biking path to the ocean which is nice as well as a dining hall open for 24 hours.

Andrew

I think it's a much better school than people say or think. Most that have a negative opinion have never even been there. The tuition is one of the most affordable in the state and quality of the education is great. Like anything you get out of it what you put into it. Many teachers taught me well and offered me great advice.

Ishwar

great school it is very underrated. This school is a great size, there are many beautiful spots on and off campus. The gym is very nice and free for students. Also, the classes are small with most being around 15-25 students which is very helpful because you are able to have better conversations with your professor and just have a better educational experience in general. Overall this is a really great school possible one of the top state schools.

Rebecca

I feel that the university offers a great education at an affordable price. I have had a lot of issues in the past with the resident's life staff. They were unwelcoming and did not put the student's safety first. I feel that the major areas that need improvements are staffing for resident programs and housing, university police, and parking availability.