Salisbury University

« See more reviews of Salisbury University

If I could rewind the clock I would reveal to my Senior self one thing that I have now learned in my little time at Salisbury University, and that is that this transition into adulthood and indepence is one that you can not take lightly, when you arive on camous you should take advantage for all that the University has to offer, after all you are paying for it anyways! Try everything at least once, give things a chance that you normally wouldnt have given a second glance. College is all about choices. A wise Resadent Assisent once told me "Pain is temporary but GPA is forever" and acording to the college life stigma its impossible to get acceptional grades without pulling all nighters or last minuet cram sessions, well I say thats not true at all. One lesson I've learned is never sacrafice sleep for studying cause while you might feel as though you are trying harder your brain is slowly shutting down. The point is there is no need to overwhelm yourself with stress because "everyone else" is freaking out, do not feel obligated to pulll your hair out. Like I said before college is about choices.

Dear High School self, You may think that getting out of high school is the best thing to happen right now, but really, your life is just beginning. Next year you are going to go to college and that is a whole new environment full of amazing experiences that will build your future. Make sure you keep your priorities straight. First, family matters. No matter how much you think going away to school will be empowering, you will miss home alot, especially your first semester, so remember that your family has enabled you to get this far and take advantage of the time you have left at home. Secondly, time management is just as hard and important as everyone has ever told you. Make time for studying and doing homework, but also leave free time to spend time with friends and interact with others in your campus community. Take advantage of what your school has to offer and get active on and off campus. Lastly, this is going to be some of the toughest and most memoriable years of your life, so remember how hard you worked to get here. Have fun and be safe! From, Your College-Experienced- Self

Choosing the right school for each individual is a very important decision, it won't necessarily "make or break you" but it will definitely impact one's overall college experience. I am currently assisting in the design of an afterschool program that gives students the hands-on experience to help guide them to make the best choices for their future college and careers so I feel strongly about this topic. I believe it is essential for parents and students to visit as many schools as they're interested in because being on the campus and getting a better idea of it's size, location, students, etc. is vital and each visit has the potential to make up the student's mind. In a way, the student doesn't choose the school, once they're standing on the campus the environment of the school chooses the student. Also, parents should not allow their children to visit home any more often than once a month, they need to be forced to get out, be social, and meet new people in whatever way suits them best and they'll be guaranteed to have a more memorable and positive college experience.

After experiencing the transition from high school to college there are a few things I would love to go back and tell myself in high school. First would be to become more familiar with the techniques and amount of time needed to study for an exam. It would have been beneficial and less stressful during the first semester. To go along with study techniques, another piece of advice would be to challenge myself more. If I took honors or advanced placement classes I would have been able to experience the increased amount of study time and it would have provided me with college credits while still attending high school. Those college credits would have gotten me one step closer to earning my degree in a shorter period of time. Finally, the last bit of advice would be to enjoy the time I had there. Now that I am a sophomore in college I realize how quickly time went by. I would tell myself to cherish the moments and friendships made along with having few responsibilities. The biggest transition from high school to college is living on your own and growing up so quickly.

Students need to make the decision on there own with parent input because they are the ones going there. Look at everything not just at the academic part of the college, but the extra activities that are available to you, for ex. sports and clubs. Know what kind of learning you like, whether its hands on or not because that helps you know whether a small class size is good or a larger class size is good for you. Know where you ultimately want to go in life and make sure that college will help you get there in some sort of way. Make sure you also look at the surroundings; beach, city, etc. Make sure you are comfortable about the surroundings and nothing is too overwhelming. Parents make sure you support your children and help them get to the college that they really want no matter what needs to be done to get there. Parents and Students do not let the little stuff matter, money is only an object and you want the best for yourself and child so do whatever it takes to get them there. Students embrace college with everything it has to offer and have fun.

I believe that the biggest piece of information that I was never told was to read the chapter before you go to your lecture. College is the opposite of high school, meaning that you dont get introduced to the material in class then have reading and homework to do for that section afterwords. You have to read before the lecture so you can ask any questions you have or get anything clarified that is unclear. You also have to be able to interact with the class discussion because most college professors take class participation into account while deciding on your grade. I have also learned that it takes time to get things to sink into your brain so cramming for tests doesnt help. If your serious about doing well in school then you have to consistently study daily, ask lots of questions, take detailed notes and never miss class. Asking a class mate or a professor for help if you begin to feel lost is also a must. Even taking it a step further and getting a tutor is often neccesary to succeed in college. Dont be afraid to ask for help and dont be afraid to fail.

Theys hould go with their student's choice first. A lot of times it looks as if the parent's allow themselves to make all of the choices for the child, which often time leaves the child feeling used and abused. I mean, when they look back at it, they will feel like they went to this college, or they participated in this major because my parents chose it for me. If the child is able to put forth their own thinking into what college they want to go to, then they will either ultimately love that college or learn from their mistakes, and attend another college of their choice. Making the most of the college experience means to do something unique and not the same like every other student. There are various ways to succeed in college, and I believe that those ways do not have to center around just drinking alcohol or doing this thing to achieve. Once you develop your own plan of achievement, then I know that the student will feel as if they have done something to achieve that was very much different from other students that are in their school or in the class.

If I were able to travel back in time and talk to myself as I was as a senior in highschool, I wouldn't have much to say. Above all I would advise myself to be prepared, for things are very different, but also embrace the experiences you are provided with. I would tell myself to not be afraid, you do find your place within the campus, and it becomes your home. I would stress the fact that you must be openminded yet firm with your beliefs, for the balance is essential to becoming yourself as a person. Experience is everything, and there are some things that you can never be prepared for, yet handling yourself appropriately becomes a skill that could make or break your college carreer. Overall, life is short, be sure to live and discover but be cautious and self aware of where your choices take you. Lastly, I would share that times can be tough, stress can be overwhelming, and hope can be scarce, but determination and a will to succeed do become a lifesupport that reminds you to fight to be the person you are inside, and to become the person you want to be.

For future college students I would advise you to follow your dreams. Don?t choose a college based on where your friends are going. Investigate as many colleges as possible. Talk to current students at the college. Don?t let your parents choose for you, but let them be involved. This is probably the first time away from your parents and they only want the best for you. Understand that they need to be a part of this new journey you are about to take. For parents of future college students I would advise you to listen to your young adults reasons for his or her college choice. If you will be the main financial contributor to his or her education communicate the tuition limit. The student and parent need to work together to decide what will be the best college choice. Make a list together of the academic and extra-curricular activities the prospective colleges offer, and rank them. The most important part of choosing a college is ensuring it will be the best fit and this can only be accomplished through research and communication between parent and student.

The best advice I can give would simply to take the tours of campuses and actually "take-in" the tours. Ask the questions that you want the answers to. Campus hosts will talk for an hour and fifteen minutes about why they love the university. They should also tell you why you or your student WILL love the university. Sure, you want to know about financial aid or how to schedule for classes. But, don't you also want to know what that group in the library could possibly be working on? Don't you want to know what your host does for fun on the weekends? Don't you want to know what the professors are really like? Campus hosts typically do their jobs because they love their school and are proud to attend, they won't lie to you and that's how you figure out what college is the best fit. To get the most out of the college experience, LIVE ON CAMPUS ... for atleast a year! Become active in clubs, talk to professors, play intramural sports like dodgeball or lacrosse. Build your character by building your resume. There's no better way to enjoy college.