Salve Regina University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Salve Regina University

Patricia

Salve Regina University is a beautiful campus with a great staff. I am attending the school this fall and I can't wait to start college there. Their academics are very intriguing to me and the business program interested me the most out of all the colleges I applied to. SRU is a great school overall and I would recommend people to go if they have the major they are looking for.

maddie

I am currently in my first semester at Salve Regina, and I enjoy every second that I am here. The class sizes are limited to under 30 students, which allows the professors to get to know you personally and can assist you in being successful. The campus is beautiful, classes are located in the Newport Mansions over-looking the beaches, and the buildings are modern. As for class content, I always finish my classes feeling as if I know more, and can accomplish more, I feel ready to take on my future. Lastly, the community between students, professors, and staff is closely intertwined. The small school allows you to really get to know who you walk by everyday, which makes the place feel more like home.

Amelia

Excellent, was the best fit for me. It is a small school, with an excellent nursing program, good people and with a lot of support from students, professors and staff.

Elle

In my own position, Salve Regina University is a close-knit community with meaningful and lasting friendships and connections with professors and peers. Throughout my time here so far, I have been able to become wonderfully involved and challenged with my academics and my extracurriculars as well as delving into the opportunities around me.

Gabrielle

I love how small the school is in size but it doesn't actually feel small at all. The location is right on the water and it is absolutely beautiful. Academics are great as are the professors. Theres a lot to get involved in, I am a part of various clubs and programs. Its not perfect but every school has some flaws. Housing can be tricky sometimes, especially the way in which it is conducted. My favorite thing about the school is that practically everything is within walking distance. I couldn't see myself anywhere else.

Allison

People either love it or they hate it here. If you like small class sizes, living at a small school, not living in a big city, enjoying the on campus events, and how you can more easily create personal connections with your professors than Salve is for you. If these things don't appeal to you then you should probably look for a different school. I enjoy it at Salve, but it isn't for everyone.

Kheldhe

Nice campus

Mallorie

Salve Regina is perfect for a student searching for a small school. It is located in Newport, RI and is right on top of the ocean; the famous Cliff Walk can be a part of your walk everyday. While the campus is beautiful, the school is even better. I love being at a small school. The professors are wonderful and all know me personally. Also, everything is centrally located which makes winters doable! Salve is perfect for the student looking for a small school.

Blaine

Excellent Catholic University , Beautiful Campus on the Atlantic Ocean. Campus is very safe Newport , RI is beautiful. Food is good on and off campus. Class size is small no lecture hall classes. Everything is walking distance from dorms even off campus housing.

Maria

I love the school! All of its buildings and the surrounding area create a beautiful environment. Being so close to the ocean, cliff walk, and newport mansions makes the whole college experience extraordinary. Although the school is small, it is the perfect size for me and I find the class sizes perfect.

Kate

I am going into my sophomore year at Salve Regina University this fall. In my experiences at Salve this past year, I can genuinely say I love my school. The location is ideal as you are not just limited to remaining on campus. Students have the opportunity to venture into downtown Newport to shop, have access to the Cliff Walk that crosses through the campus, and can even take tours of the famous mansions. I also find the Salve community to be very friendly. As a freshman, I was extremely nervous as I was unsure of what to expect going into my first year. However, I was welcomed with open arms as upperclassmen encouraged me to get involved as much as possible. Now I am a member of Love Your Melon, Student Nursing Organization, and Relay for Life, three of the numerous clubs Salve has to offer. Along with this, I am very impressed with the education I am receiving. As a nursing student, my courses got high in difficulty at times. However, my professors were always willing to help whenever it was needed. I also had access to ACE, the tutoring center which served as a great resource to me. Although there are parts of Salve I do believe could benefit from change, I couldn’t picture myself attending any other university for four years.

Michaela

Get ready for a semi-long review!! I love going to school at Salve. The campus is absolutely beautiful - the main building on campus is Ochre Court, which is one of the largest mansions in Newport. Ochre Court, along with other academic buildings, boasts breathtaking views of the Cliff Walk and the ocean. I fell in love with the campus because it is neither a traditional college campus, nor an urban one in terms of layout. The campus fits in rather seamlessly with the surrounding neighborhoods, so much so that visitors often have trouble discerning where the campus ends and begins. This is especially important for Salve, because the campus is right in the middle of a recognized historic district. After freshman year, students have the choice to live in historic housing on campus. The largest class size on campus is usually around thirty people, so professors know everyone by name, which is great. I have a great relationship with my professors and other faculty members, which was especially helpful as a freshman. I am cognizant of how lucky I am to have such amazing people as my professors, and I am constantly blown away by how relatively small departments are full of very smart, and very passionate faculty members. There is always something to do on campus or in town. Newport is extremely busy once the weather becomes warmer, but town is quiet during winter and early spring. Personally, one of the only shortcomings Salve has is the food. The main dining hall can be hit or miss. Breakfast is usually solid if you get there early enough, and they usually have decent meals for lunch. You are better off going to Wakehurst for dinner and lunches during the rest of the time however. The food consists of mostly sandwiches and salads, but they are all made to order, and the food is much fresher. In terms of weather, if you come when the weather is colder, pack a warm coat! That ocean wind can be a killer during winter! Salve has lots of different Division / Intramural sports, including Rugby, Field Hockey, Soccer, and Sailing, so there is usually something for everyone. Salve is okay when it comes to team/sport spirit. I always feel bad for the people trying to get other students to go to games or on buses because they have to work a little bit harder. However, each social circle is different - I know plenty of people who go to games of all sorts, all the time. There are plenty of clubs and activities around campus and town as well. Students can catch a professional polo or tennis game during warmer weather, as well as take surfing lessons at First Beach on the weekends. Winter polo on the beach is a favorite. Newport also has lots of art galleries and museums, the most famous of which are the Newport Mansions, so there is usually something to go see. Newport is any sailor/boater’s dream. Our clubs are probably not as active as other schools, at least, that is what it seems like. Then again, I’m usually too busy with work or dance to really know. But then again, the rest of Newport is like an extension of campus – since there is so much available we all take advantage of it all and make our own fun. Providence is about a half hour to forty minutes away as well, which is great if you want to head up on a weekend. We do, however, have night movies on the lawn of one of the mansions, and have huge game nights when TVs, gift cards, bikes, and even helicopter tours of the island. Taking classes over the summer on campus is a mixed bag. On the one hand, there are tons of folk and music festivals, along with sailing regattas and other events. Plus you can’t beat the views and the nice summer weather. Newport in the summer is wonderful. However, the place is packed with tons of tourists, so much so that it is almost a better bet to either walk or bike everywhere, since the streets get so congested. Good luck finding a parking space. Once you spend the majority of the year with Newport and the island relatively empty, it is hard to deal with the crowds and the added twenty minutes plus when going somewhere. Overall, Salve is a pretty solid choice as a school, especially if you want to go for its well known education and nursing programs. We also have a Cultural and Historic Preservation department, and students can work on preservation projects in town, or go on archaeological digs on the weekend. The English department does poetry readings in the library. If you are willing to get creative there is always something to do. You always get to meet interesting people from all walks of life, even when you are around town. I’ve met people from Britain, France, Ireland, and even New Zealand, and it is nice to hear what they think of everything while you are waiting for a bus. Newport is really like a mini cultural capital. Before I was even thinking of going to Salve, I took a trip to France and England. People would ask where I was from (Connecticut), and they would always say something like, “Oh that’s close to Newport” or “We drove through there on our way to Newport.” If you want to learn more about Salve, you really should experience Newport too, since they are so intertwined. Overall, Salve is quite the gem!

Leann

Salve has given me so many opportunities both in and out of the classroom. They do a lot of trips and activities, along with free giveaways ( Last week was Ben and Jerry's!) I've met so many kind and amazing people here through the events. The class sizes are small so it's easy for the professor to recognize and get to know you. I've had a couple of professors who were absolutely amazing and are among the best teachers that I've ever had. I've had such a great time here so far.

Salve is such an amazing school. The campus buildings were once old mansions that were donated to the school, the school is right on the water, and there is so much history in Newport. The school heavily emphasizes mercy and community service. There are ten hours of community service that need to be completed with in the four years spent there. This not only allows you to form connections within the community and peers, but also gives you something you can show to future employers. The campus life at Salve is absolutely wonderful!

Alexis

Salve Regina University is a small campus with a tight community. Salve is known for its beautiful and picturesque location in Newport, Rhode Island. The campus sits right on the eastern coastline and runs along the famous cliff walk, so you can watch the ocean when you're staring out the window in class. In addition to the gorgeous ocean view, Salve's campus also borders the historic mansions known as The Breakers. As you walk through the main campus, you'll notice the lush greenery and majestic-looking trees. Salve Regina is actually an arboretum, an impressive collection of trees that are used for scientific study but are also pretty nice to look at. While Salve is in no doubt aesthetically pleasing, the general attitude on campus is less than ideal. Everyone tends to know everyone else's business at Salve because the classes aren't that big, so it can feel a bit cliquey at times. The campus is also predominantly white, and everyone tends to look like they came out of a Vineyard Vines catalog. Anyone who is a little different tends to stand out or feel out of place at first, but eventually, you'll find your people. You will like this school if you enjoyed high-school and are more comfortable with familiarity. The campus is small and there are only about two-thousand kids, so it has a small-town, homey-feel, and is extremely safe. On the plus side, the school's size allows for smaller classrooms, where professors have plenty of time to focus on the student's individual needs. There are no huge lecture hall classes where the professor doesn't even know your name, and there are always opportunities to ask for one-on-one help. The library even has a tutoring center, which is where students can make as many appointments as they need with an expert in whatever subject that they're having trouble with. Academically, you get what you pay for.

Natalie

Greatest experience of my life so far. Very excited! All my new friends are the best people I have ever met. The people are here to learn, so there is no tension or stress beyond academics. My hockey team is the best I have ever been a part of. The possibilities here are nearly endless, and it's such a beautiful school in such a beautiful location.

Rebecca

Salve Regina University has become a second home to me. After committing to the school, my experience began with a questionnaire that would match me with roommates with similar hobbies and habits that I have. These girls soon became my best friends and made the transition into college a lot easier. The first few weeks of college was a big adjustment; new school, new room, new people. But other students on campus were welcoming and didn't mind helping the freshmen get to the right class. Professors at Salve balance fun and academics. Classrooms have a positive and comfortable environment. Salve also provides lots of resources to their students. Although it is a small school, Salve Regina University always has lots of on-campus activities that include everyone.

Kendall

Great choice, wonderful location! Perfect size enrollment and a great fit for me. The student life is so different than that of other schools I visited and toured. Everyone seems so happy to be here and love being part of such a great spirited school! SO excited for the opportunity to thrive here!

Allison

My overall opinion of Salve Regina University is that it is a great school to attend college. I love the location of the school in Newport, Rhode Island and how it is right on cliff walk. The class size is usually small and never exceeds 30 students. This allows me to create a connection with the professor and they are able to learn my name and be available if needed. There are plenty of clubs and sports to join and get involved with the Salve community.

Janessa

It is a nice school if you want to be in small size classes, with personal attention from professors. There is a beautiful atmosphere because of the cliff walk right on campus. The student body is very small, which can be quite comfortable. I enjoy going to college at Salve.

When I toured Salve Regina University I instantly fell in love with the school. The community is very welcoming and holds a healthy learning environment for all students. It's a place where one learns to fall in love with learning. The staff is always available to talk to and help out in any way they can.

Marissa

It is a nice little community, very friendly. My only real problems are the lack of diversity and the poor quality of food at the dining hall. The class sizes are perfect, and it is easy to create connections with professors. The classes are generally challenging, but in a good way.

Emma

This school is awesome

Grace

Salve Regina University is a prestigious school that is in a beautiful location. The professors are very intelligent in their fields of study and love teaching others. The buildings are beautiful and the classrooms are well supplied. It is a very good school if you are focused on your education and a personal connection with your professors.

I absolutely love the school. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I am a senior and I am not ready to graduate I love it here so much. Everyone around me has become my family. We are a close knit community and people genuinely care for one another. The teachers are amazing and I am very close with many of them, they genuinely care about you and want you to succeed and are willing to help you with any time that they have.

Salve Regina University offers a community that is kind and welcoming but not very diverse. The academics are good but could be stronger. The professors are the best part about the school because they always make time for the students and are truly supportive. They want us to succeed. The campus itself is beautiful and feels safe. The opportunities for work are plentiful being in Newport. The research opportunities, however, are slim. For extracurricular activities, there are many but you can also choose to create your own. The administration supports the creation of new clubs and groups on campus because they promote unity. The courses offered are interesting and each have their own theme which relates to a core value of the school's mission. The mission of Salve Regina University is something that you experience every day whether that be in a classroom, lab, sports practice, theatre rehearsal, in the dining hall, or library. Everything is centered on unity, spiritual and holistic growth, and kindness. For college life though it is somewhat nonexistent because it is a small campus and there are not too many social things if you are not above the age of twenty-one. Your freshman and sophomore year will be fun but not in the way you see in movies or at big universities in the country. The students are nice but sometimes cliquey which can be frustrating when all you want to do is find your group of friends and fit in. Eventually, you do find your people but it will take time. Do not get discouraged though. College is a time to learn and experience and Salve has plenty of things to do just that. You will get a good education from the strong teachers there to help you and you will have a kind group of students to work with the classroom or lab with you.

g

I love Salve! And I am so happy with my choice. I feel so lucky to be able to live in Newport, I love walking and shopping around downtown and enjoy the farmers market in the fall and spring. The professors are so caring and I have made some of the most amazing friends. The small size makes for a really close community.

Sara

Salve Regina strives to create a community like atmosphere to appear in the outside however, when it comes to how the school opperates itself it is very diverse and not very inclusive. The school feels safe in my opinion, I have never felt in danger.

Michaela

Choosing to attend Salve Regina University has been one of the best decisions that I've made! I love every aspect about Salve - from the academics to the extra-curricular activities, Salve is an all around great place to be. All of the professors are wonderful and put 100% effort into what they do. The small class sizes are really nice and have allowed me to develop relationships with all of my professors. Salve also has so many events that they put on for students. They host weekly events such as trivia nights, food trucks, movie nights, as well as bigger events, such as a carnival, comedy show, and a concert. Not only is Salve's campus beautiful but if you choose to attend Salve, you also get to enjoy the beautiful city of Newport and all that it has to offer! I would definitely recommend spending your college years at Salve Regina University!

Angelica

Salve is an extremely incredible school. From staff to students everyone on campus wants nothing but the best for all the students. There is a diverse group of people and we are all able to come together and have a good time. There is always something new to learn.

Connor

Perfect. No other word can describe it. Everything about it is simply perfect. I am truly excited to be able to go there this upcoming semester and can not wait to spend the next four years of my life at this amazing University. I have visited numerous campuses and this is the best by far!

Camille

Salve is a beautiful University located in historic Newport. The campus and buildings are just lovely. The students are all kind and very welcoming. The classroom size is wonderful and exactly what our daughter was looking for. We are very excited for my daughter to be attending in the fall!

nicholas

Personally, Salve Regina is my dream school. I grew up in Rhode Island and know the area extremely well, creating a very comfortable environment. Almost all of my classes have a sea view and growing up with my legs in the ocean makes that my get away. If I am ever stressed, I take a walk to the cliff walk and it always calms me down. I am studying Criminal Justice and I love it here. My professors are all connected to what they teach directly. Giving me the best learning experience possible.

It is great and offers many opportunities. The teachers are kind and available. The food is delicious and there's plenty of it. The campus is beautiful and by the beach where there is plenty of a social scene and opportunity to make connections with people for work or just friendships.

Chevon

At first I expected Salve to be a top notch educational experience. Soon after enrollment, I learned that it was going to be a very interesting experience. The school lacks diversity and I believe should do more for its' students of color. One other thing Salve should consider is giving aide to graduate students who receive good grades after each semester. Overall a nice campus, could improve on communications and provide more aid.

Salve Regina University is a small campus with an amazing student to teacher/professor ratio. The ratio between teacher and student was one of the many reasons I had chosen Salve to be the home for four years of my academic learning. The community has so many opportunities to bind with the student around you on campus, one of the most popular ones being Bingo. Students will come to gather and gather in blankets and set up to win a large arrangement of prizes. Not only is campus life very lively so is the town around it. With such a large community around us and booming businesses, there are many opportunities for internships. One of the first things I learn on my Connections Day visit for accepted income freshman was that because the community so connects our own professors and teachers are often the ones that form connections for the student and give them the opportunity for an internship. Salve response individuality, and promote self-expression along with inviting us to share and inform people about our opinions and beliefs. When on campus at Salve Regina​ university you'll never find yourself a dull moment. The education opportunities and community opportunities limitless, and with the ability to have a double major, and the option of a minor of choice. If thinking about the attention this school or thinking about potentially apply/visiting this is school, I can personally​ and honestly verify it would be worth the journey and effect. Salve Regina University was the choice for me and will be the choice for you.