Huntsville, TX
Sam Houston State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Sam Houston State University

Nancy

Sam Houston was not my first choice school so naturally I don't think it is great it's pretty average. I got automatic acceptance to sam and to SFA but decided on sam only because it's closer to home. What makes me dislike the school the most is financial aid, its october and I'm still trying to get it sorted out. I am currently paying for school with a family loan and its frustrating that financial aid always comes up with an extra step before they can fix my problem.

Alana

My overall opinion of Sam Houston State University is that it was absolutely perfect for me. I came from Small Town, USA and being able to adjust was a lot easier. The professors are super eager to help out in any way they can, as well as offer tutoring for those who need more help. There is an organization for everyone and no one is left out. If you enjoy smaller class sizes, friendly people, and an opportunity to grow into the person you want to be, Sam Houston is the place for you. Eat Em' Up Kats!

Sarah Jo

Sam Houston State University is an exquisite school because our class sizes are decently small, the professors are engaged and want you to succeed, the students and faculty are so helpful and kind. The town of Huntsville is small and cozy but not suffocating and there is plenty to do if you can keep an open mind.

Karen

After finishing my first year at Sam, I fell in love with the school even more. There is something for anyone to get involved in and super easy to make friends. It's crazy that I made so many friends in my study groups. I'm really happy with my choice of coming to Sam Houston.

Keighley

Sam Houston is an amazing school located in Huntsville, TX aka Huntsvegas. It's a college town with a home like feel. There so much to do, and everyone is so nice. The smaller classes allow for a better student teacher relationship. Overall it's a way better choice than SFA (; #Eat'EmUpKats

Cameron

Dear high school me, Get of the computer because I know that is where you are right now. Go do your homework that if you don't complete any the whole year will drop your grade a full grade point. Learn how to take proper notes and learn how to study those notes. College is not like high school, if you don't do homework and if you don't study, you will not pass with the grade you want. You might get by with a C but when your final transcript comes in you will regret not studying for that midterm in Geoology. Sincerely, College me

The best thing about Sam Houston is the college town feel of the campus and surrounding city. There is so much school spirit both from students and the people from Huntsville. Sam Houston isn't overwhelming for new college studdnts, because of the relatively small student body.

The worst thing about Sam Houston is the hills, walking around campus is a drag because it feels like it is uphill both ways to and from class.

Meagan

I love that my university keeps the classrooms small because all of my professors know me by name and they are almost like family to me. They all care about my well-being and they aren't afraid to check in on me if they feel something is wrong or if they feel that I am struggling on any course work. Most universities don't have teachers who are as involved with student's lives like my university.

If I could go back in time, I would advise myself to take advantage of every oppertunity possible, have better time management, and to take all of my more difficult classes earlier in the years, so that I would not have to try and complete them so close to graduation and risk having my graduation date pushed back. I would prioritize my time and submit assignments as soon as possible and get invlolved in clubs that I am interested in and that would beneift my future. I would take advantage of any leadership oppertunities and conferences that my university provides and I would stay active and eat healthy. By staying active and eating a balanced diet I would have the energy needed to complete course work in a timely fashion and it would have promoted a stress free lifestyle.

The worst thing about my university is that it is located in very small town with not very much to do. in order to engage in activity or to host an event you have to drive about thirty minutes out of town. The only source of entertainent is a very small movie theater that is often time overcrowded.

David

Sam Houston State University is best known for its Criminal Justice Program. There is a significant amount of research that is able to be done there. The School is in close proximity to many of the state and local prisons that are in Huntsville. This allows for great partnerships and excellent Criminal Justice programs that rival the best in the country.

As the first in my family to attend college, I had no guidance as to what I should pursue, or what I should study. I was also not very motivated to do school work and my grades suffered as a result. If I could go back, I would give myself a swift kick in the behind and tell myself to get my stuff together. I would tell myself that I needed to perform well so that I can be competitive in the work force. I would also have guided myself to a different educational path. I would have tried to sell myself a degree in a STEM field. The fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics are the keys to the future, and if I wanted to be relevant and competitive in the future, I'd better get onboard.

I wish I had known how bad the parking situatuon was. There are not enough parking spots for the number of students that are enrolled. The Campus sits on top of a hill, and almost all the parking lots are at the bottom of the hill. There was one parking garage when i attended SHSU, and I wish someone would have told me to get a reserved spot.

Tatum

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to take as many college credit classes that I could. I came into college with no college credits, and I wish I woud've taken the advantage of that in high school. I also would tell myself to consider taking the scholarships I was offered to play sports in college. I would tell myself to focus on what I want to do, rather than what everyone else was telling me to do. As well as not to have a boyfriend going into college.

I feel that any kind of person can attend this school. However, if you like the big city life I would definitely not reccommend this school. Huntsville is farely small, but its only about an hour and a half to Houston and 3 or 4 hours from Austin.

My classmates are very friendly. We are always trying to connect with each other so that way we will be able to succed in different or same classes. There are very smart students and are very goal driven. They know what they want to do and how they want it done. The students create a very unique enviroment that you want to be apart of. We are always finding creative ways to have fun.

Criminal Justice and also how mascot SAMMY BEARKAT.

Fill out more scholarships to help with my college tuition.

Sam Houston State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.