Huntsville, TX
Sam Houston State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Sam Houston State University

Keighley

Sam Houston is an amazing school located in Huntsville, TX aka Huntsvegas. It's a college town with a home like feel. There so much to do, and everyone is so nice. The smaller classes allow for a better student teacher relationship. Overall it's a way better choice than SFA (; #Eat'EmUpKats

Cameron

Dear high school me, Get of the computer because I know that is where you are right now. Go do your homework that if you don't complete any the whole year will drop your grade a full grade point. Learn how to take proper notes and learn how to study those notes. College is not like high school, if you don't do homework and if you don't study, you will not pass with the grade you want. You might get by with a C but when your final transcript comes in you will regret not studying for that midterm in Geoology. Sincerely, College me

The best thing about Sam Houston is the college town feel of the campus and surrounding city. There is so much school spirit both from students and the people from Huntsville. Sam Houston isn't overwhelming for new college studdnts, because of the relatively small student body.

The worst thing about Sam Houston is the hills, walking around campus is a drag because it feels like it is uphill both ways to and from class.

Meagan

I love that my university keeps the classrooms small because all of my professors know me by name and they are almost like family to me. They all care about my well-being and they aren't afraid to check in on me if they feel something is wrong or if they feel that I am struggling on any course work. Most universities don't have teachers who are as involved with student's lives like my university.

If I could go back in time, I would advise myself to take advantage of every oppertunity possible, have better time management, and to take all of my more difficult classes earlier in the years, so that I would not have to try and complete them so close to graduation and risk having my graduation date pushed back. I would prioritize my time and submit assignments as soon as possible and get invlolved in clubs that I am interested in and that would beneift my future. I would take advantage of any leadership oppertunities and conferences that my university provides and I would stay active and eat healthy. By staying active and eating a balanced diet I would have the energy needed to complete course work in a timely fashion and it would have promoted a stress free lifestyle.

The worst thing about my university is that it is located in very small town with not very much to do. in order to engage in activity or to host an event you have to drive about thirty minutes out of town. The only source of entertainent is a very small movie theater that is often time overcrowded.

David

Sam Houston State University is best known for its Criminal Justice Program. There is a significant amount of research that is able to be done there. The School is in close proximity to many of the state and local prisons that are in Huntsville. This allows for great partnerships and excellent Criminal Justice programs that rival the best in the country.

As the first in my family to attend college, I had no guidance as to what I should pursue, or what I should study. I was also not very motivated to do school work and my grades suffered as a result. If I could go back, I would give myself a swift kick in the behind and tell myself to get my stuff together. I would tell myself that I needed to perform well so that I can be competitive in the work force. I would also have guided myself to a different educational path. I would have tried to sell myself a degree in a STEM field. The fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics are the keys to the future, and if I wanted to be relevant and competitive in the future, I'd better get onboard.

I wish I had known how bad the parking situatuon was. There are not enough parking spots for the number of students that are enrolled. The Campus sits on top of a hill, and almost all the parking lots are at the bottom of the hill. There was one parking garage when i attended SHSU, and I wish someone would have told me to get a reserved spot.

Tatum

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to take as many college credit classes that I could. I came into college with no college credits, and I wish I woud've taken the advantage of that in high school. I also would tell myself to consider taking the scholarships I was offered to play sports in college. I would tell myself to focus on what I want to do, rather than what everyone else was telling me to do. As well as not to have a boyfriend going into college.

I feel that any kind of person can attend this school. However, if you like the big city life I would definitely not reccommend this school. Huntsville is farely small, but its only about an hour and a half to Houston and 3 or 4 hours from Austin.

My classmates are very friendly. We are always trying to connect with each other so that way we will be able to succed in different or same classes. There are very smart students and are very goal driven. They know what they want to do and how they want it done. The students create a very unique enviroment that you want to be apart of. We are always finding creative ways to have fun.

Criminal Justice and also how mascot SAMMY BEARKAT.

Fill out more scholarships to help with my college tuition.

Destinee

Senior year in high school was the best year. I felt like I was on top of the world. All I had to do was get accepted to college piece of cake, everything else will follow. "Boy!" was I wrong. If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would explain that its not as easy as it seems. I would advice myself to cherish the little responsibility I have and start prioritizing. Explain that procastinating only makes the work harder because there are multiple assignments you have to work on. The half work that you did in high school wil not make it in college. You have to transition into adult mode becasue you are no longer a child in these professors eyes. They look at you as someone who will one day be managing there bank account or running a business for thousands of people. Last but not least apply for scholarships it will make everything so much easier finacially. All this advice would of saved me from breaking out because of stress and sleepless nights. if only I knew what I knew now back then.

The best aspect fo Sam Houston State University is that it is not over populated. This allows there to we a smaller ratio per student to professor, allowing the students to be acknowledged in class. Also providing more one on one between the student and professor if needed.

Sam Houston is not ment just for one type of individual. At this school there are multiple types of personalities and we all get along. In this college town, just be yourself and people with the similar intrest will find you.

Jordin

I believe that Sam Houston State University is best known for a few of the academic programs. I was in marching band in high school and competed in the SHSU marching band competition twice. I was able to watch the Sam Houston State University Marching Band perform, and was very impressed with them. I also has several teachers in high school who were SHSU alumni. They were great teachers who spoke proudly of the education program. I have also met several people who have graduated as part of the Criminal Justice program who spoke highly of their education.

If I could go back in time to advise myself as a prospective college student, I would mentor myself through the entire process. I am a first generation college student who regrettably realizes that I was blind to the basics of applying to and attending a university. I cringe as I recall how naive I was: applying to only one school, ignoring scholarship opportunities, and not filling out a FAFSA until last minute. It actually amazes me that I was able to make it to classes at all. I was completely clueless to all things a second or third generation college student would know. Even now, I am just starting to realize the importance of forming relationships with professors, getting involved with clubs and organizations, and volunteering. I know that if I had someone close to me who had gone through the process, my first year of college would have gone much smoother. If I could go back in time, I would be that person.

When talking to my friends about Sam Houston State University, I brag about several things. I transferred to Sam Houston State University from BYU-Idaho. BYU-I does not have a football team, so I find myself bragging about going to football games and the atmosphere around it. The SHSU football team had an exceptional season, so I thoroughly enjoyed bragging about the teams accomplishments. Another thing I brag to my old college friends about is the diversity at Sam Houston State University. I was not expecting to have such multiracial classes, so it came as a pleasant surprise.

Shannon

Decent football team and education programs.

Decent football team and education programs.

Don't rush to a large state school! You will do so much better if you learn proper study skills and experience college coursework from a community college first. I know it's not the ideal plan, but you will save a lot of money and will come away with a better understanding of college expectations. Get involved! It's important to establish new friendships and relationships with your peers. It's also imperative that you make an impression on your professors as they can help to mentor and guide you, not to mention provide strong references for scholarship and job applications. Mostly importantly, don't get discouraged! It's easy to not do well on one test and assume that you will never recover. Learn from that, take advantage of the tutoring available on campus, talk with your professors, form a study group - but don't give up. It will all be worth it when you finish!

Someone looking for a quality education without the expense of tuition and living in a large city, like Austin or Houston.

Sam Houston State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.