Huntsville, TX
Sam Houston State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Sam Houston State University

Tatum

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to take as many college credit classes that I could. I came into college with no college credits, and I wish I woud've taken the advantage of that in high school. I also would tell myself to consider taking the scholarships I was offered to play sports in college. I would tell myself to focus on what I want to do, rather than what everyone else was telling me to do. As well as not to have a boyfriend going into college.

I feel that any kind of person can attend this school. However, if you like the big city life I would definitely not reccommend this school. Huntsville is farely small, but its only about an hour and a half to Houston and 3 or 4 hours from Austin.

My classmates are very friendly. We are always trying to connect with each other so that way we will be able to succed in different or same classes. There are very smart students and are very goal driven. They know what they want to do and how they want it done. The students create a very unique enviroment that you want to be apart of. We are always finding creative ways to have fun.

Criminal Justice and also how mascot SAMMY BEARKAT.

Fill out more scholarships to help with my college tuition.

Destinee

Senior year in high school was the best year. I felt like I was on top of the world. All I had to do was get accepted to college piece of cake, everything else will follow. "Boy!" was I wrong. If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would explain that its not as easy as it seems. I would advice myself to cherish the little responsibility I have and start prioritizing. Explain that procastinating only makes the work harder because there are multiple assignments you have to work on. The half work that you did in high school wil not make it in college. You have to transition into adult mode becasue you are no longer a child in these professors eyes. They look at you as someone who will one day be managing there bank account or running a business for thousands of people. Last but not least apply for scholarships it will make everything so much easier finacially. All this advice would of saved me from breaking out because of stress and sleepless nights. if only I knew what I knew now back then.

The best aspect fo Sam Houston State University is that it is not over populated. This allows there to we a smaller ratio per student to professor, allowing the students to be acknowledged in class. Also providing more one on one between the student and professor if needed.

Sam Houston is not ment just for one type of individual. At this school there are multiple types of personalities and we all get along. In this college town, just be yourself and people with the similar intrest will find you.

Jordin

I believe that Sam Houston State University is best known for a few of the academic programs. I was in marching band in high school and competed in the SHSU marching band competition twice. I was able to watch the Sam Houston State University Marching Band perform, and was very impressed with them. I also has several teachers in high school who were SHSU alumni. They were great teachers who spoke proudly of the education program. I have also met several people who have graduated as part of the Criminal Justice program who spoke highly of their education.

If I could go back in time to advise myself as a prospective college student, I would mentor myself through the entire process. I am a first generation college student who regrettably realizes that I was blind to the basics of applying to and attending a university. I cringe as I recall how naive I was: applying to only one school, ignoring scholarship opportunities, and not filling out a FAFSA until last minute. It actually amazes me that I was able to make it to classes at all. I was completely clueless to all things a second or third generation college student would know. Even now, I am just starting to realize the importance of forming relationships with professors, getting involved with clubs and organizations, and volunteering. I know that if I had someone close to me who had gone through the process, my first year of college would have gone much smoother. If I could go back in time, I would be that person.

When talking to my friends about Sam Houston State University, I brag about several things. I transferred to Sam Houston State University from BYU-Idaho. BYU-I does not have a football team, so I find myself bragging about going to football games and the atmosphere around it. The SHSU football team had an exceptional season, so I thoroughly enjoyed bragging about the teams accomplishments. Another thing I brag to my old college friends about is the diversity at Sam Houston State University. I was not expecting to have such multiracial classes, so it came as a pleasant surprise.

Shannon

Decent football team and education programs.

Decent football team and education programs.

Don't rush to a large state school! You will do so much better if you learn proper study skills and experience college coursework from a community college first. I know it's not the ideal plan, but you will save a lot of money and will come away with a better understanding of college expectations. Get involved! It's important to establish new friendships and relationships with your peers. It's also imperative that you make an impression on your professors as they can help to mentor and guide you, not to mention provide strong references for scholarship and job applications. Mostly importantly, don't get discouraged! It's easy to not do well on one test and assume that you will never recover. Learn from that, take advantage of the tutoring available on campus, talk with your professors, form a study group - but don't give up. It will all be worth it when you finish!

Someone looking for a quality education without the expense of tuition and living in a large city, like Austin or Houston.

Brett

Sam Houston creates an environment that allows students to easily access resources they need to succeed.

In my opinion, the worst part of Sam Houston is the location. Huntsville is a very small town without many attractions for the students. I feel like a lot of students go home on the weekends to escape the town. Another drawback to the town being so small is the lack of employment opportunities for students.

Apryl

I love this school. Sam is very diverse and the people are genuinely nice. Sure like every school there may be a hiccup or two but its more or less an adjustment period. Sam definitely has a lot of school spirit so go Kats!

Its college so classes are supposed to be tough however if you don't party too much and actually study then classes shouldn't be that hard. I highly recommend tutoring if needed.

Marissa

If I could go back and talk to my high school senior self, I would tell myself that I need to learn how to study. Since studying is a major part of college life, I would have definitely told myself that I need to start learning my style of studying and getting use to studying. That, unlike high school, college you need to dedicate time for studying and some subjects will not come as easy as they did in high school where I didn't have to study.

Someone who isn't willing to put in the work to deal with the academic pressures of being in a 4 year university.

Someone who is willing to deal with the academic pressures of being in a 4 year university and willing to join extra-curricular activities to better round themselves.

I'd tell myself to make sure I sign up with to my classes early, or I wouldnt get the ones I need. I'd tell myself don't slack off, make sure you are ready to work hard. I'd try to make sure I was ready for what college really is. I wasn't ready for what I was going into and now I feel over whelmed. My pasted self would really need to know about how hard college is and how I need to put off my video games and hanging out with friends. I'd tell myself what I wished someone had told me.

I wish I had known about how much school work I would actually have, and how hard the papers would be.

Someone who is not ready to walk to classes, be flexable with class work and be ready for difficult work.

Sam Houston State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.