Huntsville, TX
Sam Houston State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Sam Houston State University

Apryl

I love this school. Sam is very diverse and the people are genuinely nice. Sure like every school there may be a hiccup or two but its more or less an adjustment period. Sam definitely has a lot of school spirit so go Kats!

Its college so classes are supposed to be tough however if you don't party too much and actually study then classes shouldn't be that hard. I highly recommend tutoring if needed.

Marissa

If I could go back and talk to my high school senior self, I would tell myself that I need to learn how to study. Since studying is a major part of college life, I would have definitely told myself that I need to start learning my style of studying and getting use to studying. That, unlike high school, college you need to dedicate time for studying and some subjects will not come as easy as they did in high school where I didn't have to study.

Someone who isn't willing to put in the work to deal with the academic pressures of being in a 4 year university.

Someone who is willing to deal with the academic pressures of being in a 4 year university and willing to join extra-curricular activities to better round themselves.

I'd tell myself to make sure I sign up with to my classes early, or I wouldnt get the ones I need. I'd tell myself don't slack off, make sure you are ready to work hard. I'd try to make sure I was ready for what college really is. I wasn't ready for what I was going into and now I feel over whelmed. My pasted self would really need to know about how hard college is and how I need to put off my video games and hanging out with friends. I'd tell myself what I wished someone had told me.

I wish I had known about how much school work I would actually have, and how hard the papers would be.

Someone who is not ready to walk to classes, be flexable with class work and be ready for difficult work.

Vanessa

I would advise myself to keep working hard in school. I would have liked to keep a more focused mind about my studies and homework. As a freshamn, I was so used to not really doing anything my senior year but there is actually a lot of work you have to put in and college. I would also want to learn to manage my time and to budget my money. You never know what things might come up and you always have to have a backup plan.

The only thing that I can really complain about is all the hills on campus. They can make it a challenge to walk to class at first.

I brag about how great the criminal justice program is here. It's amazing. You make so many connections and get to meet a lot of different people in the field you want to work in some day. You also have great interships and we have an amazingly beautiful campus. It's very eonomic and it's reasonable to live on campus.

Charles

They are all very nice. I haven't met a person that I don't like. They like to include you in activities. It feels like we're all family.

I would tell myself to work harder. Ever since I was little everybody told me that I was very smart. Learning came easy and school was a breeze to me. As I got older I learned that I could get away with doing less and still get good grades. I started to pick and choose which assignments I wanted to do and I would put all of my effort into those and I wouldn't even try the others. As I got into higher level classes during my junior and senior year that plan stopped working. I started struggling with classes. Even though I'm in college this mentality still plagues me. I still find myself trying to pick certain assignments to pass up. I have been successful at breaking myself out of this most of the time. If I could go back and talk to my high school self I would tell myself to break out of this habit a lot earlier.

It's very quiet and calm. There isn't a lot of commotion on campus.

Deondria

The vast amount of opportunities that are available to the students at this campus.

Take deep breaths. Stop stressing about that government exam because you are going to fail the class anyway. You don’t have to take all AP classes if you feel like you’re not going to succeed in them. Freshman English is better than taking those critical reading assessments in English AP anyway. It doesn’t matter if everyone else doesn’t think you are smart, know your worth. Stop forcing yourself to become friends with everyone. It’s pointless in trying to impress them because you won’t even remember their names two years from now. You are going to hate your freshman year of college and that's okay. It’s going to be an emotional year, but you are going to end it with a better perspective on life. You are going to thrive off of positivity. You are going to learn that friendship does not equate having the same classes with the same person. You are going to wish you had that government exam when you take Organic Chemistry. You are going to fail a lot, but you are going to learn from those failures. Everything is going to be just fine. Remember those deep breaths.

Parking. Sam Houston has a terrible parking situation.

Shelby

We are best known for our Criminal Justice program and our Education program. Our other programs are prestigious as well but those are two programs that we are known for.

Dear Shelby, I know senior year seems to be stressful with just getting everything together but just realize and appreciate how lucky you are to already know where you are going. Sam Houston State University is a great school and has so much to offer you. For starters, don't take trigonometry, you don't need it! You should just go ahead and start taking your classes towards being a Business Administration major. I know it's a broad degree but keeping your options open will be good since you will be graduating a year early due to your hardwork in high school and taking summer classes. Always remember you are Student-Athlete, Student comes first, so even though you may need sleep for that big game tomorrow, your grade on that accounting final is top priority. Lastly, remember to stay true to yourself. Be confident in who you are because you will be used in a great way wherever you end up. Keep your dream alive to make a difference in the world. Pursue your MBA and then tryout for the professional soccer team! The only time you truly fail is when you never give it a shot!

The parking is horrendous! We are one of the fastest growing universities in the state of Texas and our university seems to not realize with that demands more parking! I have to budget for about 20 minutes for just finding a parking spot!

Linda

Sam Houston State University is well known throughout Texas. It is located in Huntsville which is a small town. What makes SHSU unqiue is that you do not get lost easily, and if you do, you find your way back really quick. You also see familiar faces everywhere you go. You're also welcomed everywhere!

Sam Houston State University is a humongous school. Every time I see my friends and family I have a lot to brag about. The first days on campus, people came up to me and offered me if I needed help. When you're a freshman in college you do not expect people to come up to you and then become great friends. People are actually friendly here. It feels like home.

Matthew

I would describe my classmates as enthrawling, gifted individuals who have chosen to enrich their futures with all the benefits that college can provide them.

If I could go back in time, I would definitely advise my senior self to "Keep Calm and Relax". There are so many stresses associated with graduation and moving on with the next part of your life. When you finally get there, it's amazing to realize all the things you thought were so important really don't matter as much. No one cares if you were the class president or if you recieved an honorable mention in football, and that remedial math course you threw such a fit about is what is actually keeping you from failing college algebra. The truth is, the experiences we have in high school are important and help to shape our ideals and future paths, but they are not defining. Everything we experience, good and bad, helps us to make better choices later in life. Embrace the good times, learn from the bad times, keep calm and relax because it will all work out.

I don't think anyone should be excluded from attending college based on anything other than their own personal decision. College is a necessary part of becoming an adult as well as providing the education needed to enter the work force as a productive member of society. SHSU, or any college, gives students a foundation to begin a life apart from childhood. Our whole lives are built and enhanced on what we learn from others. No single person should be excluded from the benefits of learning.

Madeline

If I could go back and offer myself any kind of advice as a high school senior I would have quite a few things to say. In the past few months I have learned a lot, about myself, the real world, money struggle and much more. I would start off by telling myself to apply for as many scholarships as I qualified for. I applied for several but looking back I feel as if I could have done so much more; and it will make things so much easier in the long run. I would also let myself know to do what I want to do and not let everyone else get into my head. College is a huge decision and I tend to be very indecisive. I juggled the choice between community college and a university for months until I decided to do what was best for me. I stressed for so long about what everyone else wanted me to do. Lastly, I would just remind myself to not stress so much and everything will work out for the best.

The housing situation at Sam Houston is not my favorite. Although, I hear that Sam offers some of the best living arrangements in Texas I feel as if more housing is needed. By the time I got around to selecting my dorm I was picking from the scraps.

In my opinion everyone has the right to attend this school if you are willing to work. Someone who lacks work ethic and does not show an interest in getting involved should reconsider their college preference. The Sam Houston community is close knit and I feel as if everyone should be involved in some way.

Sam Houston State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.