Huntsville, TX
Sam Houston State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Sam Houston State University

Morgan

If I was given the chance to talk with my high school senior self, I would first hug myself and provide reassurance. Knowing the uncertain feelings of a first generation college student, I would tell myself to keep pressing the limits because I will succeed. I would reassure myself that it gets better and that high school is only a stepping stone in the game of life. I have a life full of experiences to encounter and no matter what stay true to my values. I would tell myself not to give my mom such a hard time, it’s not easy but admit when your wrong and she is right (it will happen a lot). Most of all I would say don’t panic! Life has a way of working itself out if you just stay focused, determined and humble. To quote The Rolling Stones “You can’t always get what you want, but if you try sometime you find, you get what you need.”

The advising board is not the best.

Paul

I would start by playing a game of Tennis with my past self, and during that game of tennis I would tell myself not to worry about the little things. I would enlighten myself with the knowledge that "If you are honest with yourself about who you are and what you want out of life, happiness will follow". I would also make a point to tell my past self "Be you! the right people will find their way into your life". High School was boring, nothing of interest, but College is where learning becomes fun. The inspiration you will find will excite you beyond comprehention. Also as a side note from myself to my past self, Apply for Scholarships and Grants, paying back Student Loans Sucks! and don't forget your Awesome!

tianna

If i could go back and talk to myself in high school, about college i would tell me to stay true to myself. That in college it is easy to be distracted and to fall in the wrong crowd. Id say to stay focus on studies because in the end getting the diploma is all that matters.

I wish i would have known that they arent known for their school spirit. I love to where a schools color and yell like crazy at sporting events. they dont do that much here

Anyone that is looking to have an amazing time along with go to school should come here. They have an amazing scene for everything. if you are the spiritual type there are multiple on campus church groups. if one would like to dance there are mutlple clubs for that.

Believe in yourself. If I could go back to my senior year, that is the first thing I would say. I would explain the importance of having self-confidence and self-awareness. I would tell myself to not get caught up on what is cool, what is recent, or what is happening now, but to focus on the future and what steps it is going to take to get there. I’d remind myself that the life I make after high school is incredibly important, and I should take every opportunity to do well and prosper in my last year as a high school student. Take advanced classes, challenge myself more in the last year before the beginning of the rest of my life. I’d advise myself to take my education seriously, and to take myself seriously, because it’s going to be a tough road and I must work hard. I’d remind myself high school self to harbor trust, dedication, and strength within me, and to not take other’s judgments or opinions with a grain of salt. But most of all, I’d tell myself “you can do this.”

George

I would tell myself not to make the mistake I am about to make. Throughout my senior year, I had a goal of attending St. Pete college of New Jersey for Graphic Designs. However, I decided to leave my parents house while still in school because I did not get along with my step mother. This choice has led me to working full time while still in school and forcing me to finish school during the summer. Since I had to focus on my full time job and keeping my head above the waters, I did not go to college. So my advice to my high school senior self is to focus on school and do not leave home. While things may seem tough dealing with my step mother, it is much worse out here where I had to live in my car and beg for food instead of going to school

Ann

If I could go back, I would've exposed myself more to the world out of high school. We live in such a beautiful and enormous world and I feel that sometimes high school students do not realize all the great things that we humans are capable of. After this past year I have learned so much about myself but at times I wish I would've put myself out there more, because I believe it could've helped me discover more about who I am and what I am capable of. I want to be the girl that inspires others when they have no hope. I want to be the girl who makes people smile even when they don't think it's possible. One day I want change the world. And I believe that I can. Thank you for your time.

karen

My classmates are very involves with their work. Many are very dedicated and are passionate about thier education.

My advice to you is to reserach more about what colleges you want to attend. Starts studying like a college student instead of watching tv right after school. Be more attentive and apply to as many scholarships as possible. College is not free and it is extremely expensive. However, have fun during your senior year because once you get to college, your spare time is gone and you will see yourself studying more than you sleep.

The most frustrsating thing about Sam Houston State University is the amount of hills that are present on campus. Walking from building to building can be very tiresome for some students, especially when you are out of shape.

Marco

The School is best known for its football team. Just last year they were the champions of the Southerland conference. So Football is definitely a big thing around here.

Sam Houston State University is surrounded by a fairly small town, so this would be a great place for people who aren’t into the big city atmosphere. It is also a great place to those who like to be able to interact and have a small class environment. It is a great place to meet new people because people here are extremely friendly.

William

Sam Houston State University has an averaged sized campus with massive school spirit that offers one of the best Criminal Justice Programs in the state, but it also has a lot of hills to the campus.

Okay, first of all I’m here to tell you that the transition to college is only as hard as you make it. You need to stop playing those useless computers games and start applying for scholarships now! You and I both know you’re poor, and putting this cost of attending college on our family is not going to help anyone especially our family who is going through hard financial times. The first thing you need to do is sit down and think about what you want! Decide on a school, but don’t limit yourself to certain schools. Apply anywhere you can, and apply for scholarships right now! This is the most crucial part of the transition. Apply, apply, and apply! Do not get discouraged there are so many scholarships with your name on them. Let me tell you that at this point, I am scared of dropping out because of my lack of money, please don’t repeat this mistake. Also, one you decide on a school, check their website for scholarships and opportunities, I didn’t realize how much I missed out until I got here. Remember to apply for housing early and good luck!

Christina

At first people are a little stand off-ish in classes other than my ag classes. In my ag classes everyone was very welcoming...

I would advise myself to buckle down now and go straight off to a 4 year university. Community college will discourage you in achieving your dream of being a veterinarian. It will be scary, but go ahead and take that leap of faith and dive on in. There is no where to go but up. If you do not believe in yourself, no one will.

What I loved most about SHSU was the professors. They are all knowledgeable. They either have their doctorate or are in the process of getting it. Your professor is most likely your adviser (in the ag department) and are extremely helpful.

Sam Houston State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.