Huntsville, TX
Sam Houston State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Sam Houston State University

Gabrielle

I have not meet a lot but some seem really nice and some seem like they are still in high school.

If I could go back and give myself advice I would say listen to the advice that is given to you whether it would be from a stanger or from your parents. I would also say that dont be afraid to start over in a new place. Dont try and keep hold of something just so you dont have to go to college alone. You will meet new people possibly better people then the one friend you try to keep. Be yourself dont change for any reason or anyone. Its okay to be sad and scared; terrified even, its normal. Remember why you are doing this and that you are loved and supported by your family and someone who loves you. Things are going to change and thats good because change reveals who people really are and who you are and how strong you are. Take one day at a time; one moment at a time. Breath when things get bumpy and remember its okay to cry. Dont be afraid to pick up the phone and call your family. Breath and you will make it through, hopefully :). Take it day by day and breath.

I believe that like any school if you dont really wanna go to that school then dont. If you are a party person this is not the school for you.

Kyra

My school is known for being the best education programs and one of the best criminal justice programs in the state of Texas.

Hey Kyra, This is your future self just writing to give you some advice. I know you are stressing out about college and leaving home, but just stop and breathe. Their are so many things I wish I could tell you but I will sum it up to the important things. Firstly, even though you have an academic advisor always check to make sure you are in the right class. Trust me this will save you a lot of stress. Don't procrastinate, while college is not as hard as they said, it is completly different, so stay on top of everything. Finally, don't forget who you are. I know everyone thinks you need to change and become this classy, proper lady, but that's not you. You're goofy and sometimes a cussword or two slips out, but that's what makes you, you. You're loved and you have an amazing suppport system that wll always be there. You make it through all the rough times and struggles and in the end you become a more refined version of yourself. That's what this whole adventure has been about. We turn out okay so don't worry.

A person that is not willing to get involved should not attend this school. We are very involveled with our community and with so many organizations it is hard to not be involved. Also most students that go to sam houston are known for having southern manners and being respectful and do not take kidly to rude, dishonest people.

LaShawn

Any guidance I received about college life was from a counselor who processed me and about 200 other kids in a 48 hour period a week before I graduated high school. Somehow that wasn’t enough to prepare me for what was to come. I never knew just how much of a balancing act college is until I experienced it myself. To my younger self I would say to spend your precious time wisely. Don’t waste all night at that unauthorized kegger and spend the next day hungover. Instead, go to bed early so you can make it to lab on time and focused. Not only is your time in college precious, it’s expensive. Someone is paying thousands of dollars and investing in you so that you’ll be able to reinvest in the future. Don’t squander that. And it feels a lot better to know you aced that exam because you studied hard rather than knowing you flunked it because you partied hard. College is what you make of it, as they say. How will you spend your best years?

Morgan

If I was given the chance to talk with my high school senior self, I would first hug myself and provide reassurance. Knowing the uncertain feelings of a first generation college student, I would tell myself to keep pressing the limits because I will succeed. I would reassure myself that it gets better and that high school is only a stepping stone in the game of life. I have a life full of experiences to encounter and no matter what stay true to my values. I would tell myself not to give my mom such a hard time, it’s not easy but admit when your wrong and she is right (it will happen a lot). Most of all I would say don’t panic! Life has a way of working itself out if you just stay focused, determined and humble. To quote The Rolling Stones “You can’t always get what you want, but if you try sometime you find, you get what you need.”

The advising board is not the best.

Paul

I would start by playing a game of Tennis with my past self, and during that game of tennis I would tell myself not to worry about the little things. I would enlighten myself with the knowledge that "If you are honest with yourself about who you are and what you want out of life, happiness will follow". I would also make a point to tell my past self "Be you! the right people will find their way into your life". High School was boring, nothing of interest, but College is where learning becomes fun. The inspiration you will find will excite you beyond comprehention. Also as a side note from myself to my past self, Apply for Scholarships and Grants, paying back Student Loans Sucks! and don't forget your Awesome!

tianna

If i could go back and talk to myself in high school, about college i would tell me to stay true to myself. That in college it is easy to be distracted and to fall in the wrong crowd. Id say to stay focus on studies because in the end getting the diploma is all that matters.

I wish i would have known that they arent known for their school spirit. I love to where a schools color and yell like crazy at sporting events. they dont do that much here

Anyone that is looking to have an amazing time along with go to school should come here. They have an amazing scene for everything. if you are the spiritual type there are multiple on campus church groups. if one would like to dance there are mutlple clubs for that.

Believe in yourself. If I could go back to my senior year, that is the first thing I would say. I would explain the importance of having self-confidence and self-awareness. I would tell myself to not get caught up on what is cool, what is recent, or what is happening now, but to focus on the future and what steps it is going to take to get there. I’d remind myself that the life I make after high school is incredibly important, and I should take every opportunity to do well and prosper in my last year as a high school student. Take advanced classes, challenge myself more in the last year before the beginning of the rest of my life. I’d advise myself to take my education seriously, and to take myself seriously, because it’s going to be a tough road and I must work hard. I’d remind myself high school self to harbor trust, dedication, and strength within me, and to not take other’s judgments or opinions with a grain of salt. But most of all, I’d tell myself “you can do this.”

George

I would tell myself not to make the mistake I am about to make. Throughout my senior year, I had a goal of attending St. Pete college of New Jersey for Graphic Designs. However, I decided to leave my parents house while still in school because I did not get along with my step mother. This choice has led me to working full time while still in school and forcing me to finish school during the summer. Since I had to focus on my full time job and keeping my head above the waters, I did not go to college. So my advice to my high school senior self is to focus on school and do not leave home. While things may seem tough dealing with my step mother, it is much worse out here where I had to live in my car and beg for food instead of going to school

Ann

If I could go back, I would've exposed myself more to the world out of high school. We live in such a beautiful and enormous world and I feel that sometimes high school students do not realize all the great things that we humans are capable of. After this past year I have learned so much about myself but at times I wish I would've put myself out there more, because I believe it could've helped me discover more about who I am and what I am capable of. I want to be the girl that inspires others when they have no hope. I want to be the girl who makes people smile even when they don't think it's possible. One day I want change the world. And I believe that I can. Thank you for your time.

karen

My classmates are very involves with their work. Many are very dedicated and are passionate about thier education.

My advice to you is to reserach more about what colleges you want to attend. Starts studying like a college student instead of watching tv right after school. Be more attentive and apply to as many scholarships as possible. College is not free and it is extremely expensive. However, have fun during your senior year because once you get to college, your spare time is gone and you will see yourself studying more than you sleep.

The most frustrsating thing about Sam Houston State University is the amount of hills that are present on campus. Walking from building to building can be very tiresome for some students, especially when you are out of shape.

Sam Houston State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.