Huntsville, TX
Sam Houston State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Sam Houston State University

Spencer

I would tell myself to just stay focused in school and grades because it is so important in the long run. I would also tell myself not to apply for classes late because all the good classes get taken first. Lastly, I would tell myself that I need to apply for scholarships while I am in high school because college life is so very expensive.

The best part of my school is how diverse it is. No matter what your background is or ethnicity there is someone and something that you can connect with.

Andrew

School is is just right in size. Many classes have 48 students or less in them. Some larger.

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

Being away from home and getting used to the increased workload of the classes.

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

No. If you need to phone home olnce a day that is fine. Over time you will find some days you will not phone home and over time you will probably end up phoning home only a 3 or 4 times a week. But once a day is not too much especailly when you are away from home for the first time.

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

No. Although there will be people drinking. It is not necessary to drink to enjoy the party.

It is easy to get to know your professor or teacher at sam.

All kinds of students go here. From geeks to jocks and frat and sorority types. Everyone is mostly friendly.

Heather

I would tell myself to take more pride in what I wanted to do with my life, career wise. I was made fun of in high school because I wanted to be a zookeeper, but people here at Sam Houston embrace it, because there are many others who want to do the same. I wish I had taken more pride about it in high school, because it would have saved me a lot of tears and anger. I decided as a senior that I was going to go to school for Biology and work in a research lab, because everyone else thought that was ‘cooler’ than being a zookeeper. I was not happy with this choice, and as soon as I realized that the only thing that mattered was what I wanted to do, I switched my career plan to zookeeping and I am now having a blast! I have learned that it doesn’t matter what everyone else thinks of me, because as long as I stay true to myself and what I really want out of my own life, then I will be happy and prosperous. I only wish that I had figured this out sooner!

We are a small campus, so classes are smaller and there is a lot more one-on-one time available with the professors. The campus is absolutely gorgeous, and the groundskeepers put a lot of effort into keeping the school clean and looking perfect. We have so much school spirit here, and students support eachother in many, many ways.

Keith

I have never been around so many diverse and understanding group of peers who are just as eager to learn as I am.

I would have told my high school self to not stress out as much on the studies and to enjoy the time I had with my friends, becuase it would be one of the last times I would be able to see them again. I would have also told myself to take more dual credit classes so that when I first get to college, I can go straight into my major. One last piece of advice I would give myself would be to understand that this is privilege and blessing to be getting a top rate education.

I wish I would have known that the hills here were going to be a workout for you to walk to your classes everyday so I could have packed for a better set of clothing!

The students at Sam Houston State University are of all types. Like all colleges, there are the frat guys and sorority girls, the hard-core athletes, the study-buddies, and of course the country folk. Despite the many differences between the students in these various stereotypes, we all manage to come together and bond over our Bearkat pride! At any student event, it is not uncommon to see a preppy cheerleader sitting next to a scrawny guy with glasses, right beside a hipster in skinny jeans and a beanie. Everyone here at Sam Houston State is so accepting of each other that it is impossible not to find a group or two that are tailored to fit you.

Being a senior, I fell into the horrible habit of procrastination and ended up putting pretty much everything off to the last possible minute. If I could go back in time to my high school senior-self, I would tell myself to start early on finding scholarships and financial aid. My dad owns his own tree trimming business and works hard for every penny he makes, although I have received a scholarship for playing soccer here at Sam Houston, it's just not enough. I have a long way to go to achieve my dreams but I am determined. Being the college student I am today, I could go back and tell myself a lot of small things to do, but keeping straight As and getting money for college are definitely the most important.

What's best about my school are all the centers and places available for studying and tutoring for students. I am a college-athlete and also have access to an entire center that is just for the college-athletes to study and succeed. The campus is just big enough to space things out but not too big so that you get lost. I also love all the oppurtunities and job available here at Sam Houston.

The worst thing about my school would have to be the parking, which is so hard to find. Besides that, the town is very small and there's not much to do off campus. Other than that though, I love it here.

Mallory

My classmates are a very diverse group from all over the world and from all walks of life.

I would tell myself to listen more closely to my parents. Amazingly, they know a whole lot about life and how to survive the first year of college.

A close minded person who does not wish to have new experiences should not attend Sam Houston University.

Debrisha

Sam is a cultural, open minded campus with fun things to do around every corner.

Debrisha, just keep doing what your doing. College is going to be something new and exciting but in the end its high school just on a much larger scale. Keep your head in the books, because all the partying will try and distract you from your goal. Oh and do not register for thise 8 a.m. classes, you're going to hate those by the end of the first semester!

At Sam Houston the most frustrating thing would have to be all the hills, the town is full of hills. I'm exhausted by the time i get to class.

Sam Houston State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.