Huntsville, TX
Sam Houston State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Sam Houston State University

If I could go back in time and give advice to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to work harder my first two years of college and make better grades in my basic classes. I would tell myself to buy all of my textbooks and sell them back on www.amazon.com and not waste money in the campus bookstore. I would also tell myself to decide on my major in English, so I wouldn't change my major three different times, which caused me to take classes I didn't necessarily need. Other than that, I would tell myself not to change a thing! My first three years of college have been a blast and have been a great learning experience, both in life lessons and academically. I wouldn't change the major parts of my college experience for the world!

There's not too many people; most of the classes are pretty small, so I feel like I'm able to connect to my teachers and classmates more. Teachers know you by name, and are always willing to help you.

If someone loves the city and hates small towns, they shouldn't attend this school.

My school is best known for its Criminal Justice program. We are located next door to a prison, so I guess it is natural. The Criminal Justice program is one of the best in the nation and is like its own college. We are also well known for our musical theatre program that is one of the best in Texas.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior there are two things I would tell myself; do not be afraid to go out and have fun and follow your instincts. It took me a bit to adjust to college social life. I had had the same friends since middle school, and then I went to a college where none of my friends were attending. It took my a couple of months to actually make good friends and I cannnot help, but feel like a missed out on those early months. I also spent my first year in college with a major that did not make me happy or feel accomplished. I had planned to follow my dreams of radio and television, but I stuck with a major that made me feel safe. Now that I am changing after a year I feel like I am going to be behind from my graduation track. Essentially, I would tell myself that college is what you make it. No one can make it easy for you and no one can do all of your school work. Be yourself and be motivated.

I wish I had known how easy it is to get involved. Sam Houston has student activities and organizations for just about everyone. All you have to do is go to meetings and try them out. As a whole, the campus is so friendly, so don't be afraid to meet knew people. However, I really wish I knew that Sam Houston is kind of a suitcase college; meaning most students leave on the weekends, so it can get dull when you are unable to go home.

Brisha

Sam Houston is a relatively small school, but I do not regret coming here at all. The daily activities ranging from Midnight Breakfast to Salsa Night keeps me going during the week, and these things relax my mind from classes. When I first stepped into the classroom my professors greeted me warmly, and made me feel as if I was a person, not a number. In the bigger universities you have to approach the Professors, but at Sam it is totally reversed. I love the atmosphere that comes along with Sam Houston, and I would tell anyone to come here.

If I had a time machine, and I could go back in time to when I was a senior I would go back and tell myself to apply, apply, and apply some more for scholarships!!! There were so many opportunities I missed out on, because I did not want to write essays or find out information for a certain scholarship. I do not regret anything I did, but I do wish that I had applied for more scholarships, and worked harder to get them instead of half way going through the process. Lastly, if I could go back I would tell myself to study hard for tests and quizzes. I did not think quizzes could help me in the long run if I needed that extra bump from a high B to an A. Now I study for quizzes, and tests weeks before the test or quiz is even scheduled. There is a ton of information that has to be stored, and then brought back up, that a late-night cramming session just won’t cut it.

There is one thing I can say that I really do not like about Sam Houston. The major problem we seem to have is not having bike-friendly trails. I was considering buying a bike before I came to Sam, but when I got here the campus was so small that I didn't need to. The only downside is the activities that are hosted usually block the route to all of my classes so that makes it difficult to travel on foot, so having a bike would make it ten times easier to move to and fro on campus.

My college experience has allowed me to meet many new people and step outside my personal comfort zone. In being from a small town this was an important step into helping me prepare for the business world. The many people I have met have shown me the beauty in speaking up and getting myself out there. Sam Houston State has allowed me to realize who I am and shown me that I am my own individual with valuable ideas and concepts. The smaller class sizes were perfect for me to have the one-on-one interaction that I need to actively learn the material being discussed. I am part of the history of this school. In paving the way for future generations, I will show them that even though this is a smaller school the quality of the educaton I am receiving is worth the drive up to Huntsville Texas. I am Sam Houston State and I am the future.

The best thing about my school is the beautiful campus and the location relative to Houston and Dallas. This allows for many different commuters to attend this school helping to diversify the students of the campus. Many of the different professors have docrorate degrees in their fields of study. This allows them to give you a more personal experience about the job market student will soon be entering.

The thing I brag about most to my friends is the many friends people that attend Sam Houston State. I know no strangers here at Sam. Everyone is willing to talk to you and help you out in many different ways. The smaller class sizes also allow you to find friends that share same interest as you in your field of study. This is very important when forming study groups to help make it through the classes.

Bradley

My classmates were a collection of diverse people who all enjoyed life, and they were always good to me.

I've gotten the persistence to finish. I was able to learn a lot through hands on study and working in the field for the newspaper. Sticking with the studies through the hard times built and appreciation for education. It was valuable to attend because of everything that has taken place after finishing. Coming into graduate school my mindset about life and education was completely different. I have a greater respect for university, and in turn my graduate GPA is the best I've had in college. I had no plans to go to graduate school, but when I got into my senior year it seemed like the only way to go. I can say that without my undergraduate experience I would not have had the desire for higher education.

I wish I would have known more about life, so that I could have made the most out of the education, resources, and opportunities.

Halana

The school, that will get you on your feet.

The school, that will get you on your feet.

My college experience so far has taught me many things. The value of friendship, and allowing yourself to be open to new ideas and beliefs. Being actively involved on campus opens doors to new aspects of the world and has helped my preparation thus for in my life.

The worst thing is the Bearkat Learning Program. I see no benefit for the students and the campionships between the dorm houses are slim to none. The coordinator shows favoritism between the students, which makes it difficult to talk to him/her over certain issues within the dorm houses.

April

College was never not an option for me. I just always knew I would go to college. When I was younger I thought I would be at a big University. I am glad I went to Community College though, because I have seen growth in myself through the information I have gained in this college system. The staff and students around me have been very encouraging, easy to work with and informative for me personally and for my education. I feel that my steady upward pace in growing with my knowledge is okay and a lot of it has to do with the ability to slowly view all my options and feel comfortable about my future with those options given to me by my college. I now have become very excited and motivated to continue this growth and further my expansion as an educated person through the college systems. I cannot describe how valuable college has been to me. Life seems in order with college and gives me a direction I feel good about.

Jana

We are best known for our rivalry with SFA and for being named after General Sam Houston.

I have gotten so many things out of my college experience. I found out that I love to work with children and those that are in serious need. I want to be able to help as many people as possible and make their lives more complete. The networks that I established in college have opened up doors for me and given me a way to realize some of my dreams. The more I look back on my undergraduate years, the more I see that I have changed a great deal. I am more patient, understanding, and eager to learn as much as possible.

It is a long drive from my house. I found it difficult to make it to classes on time because of the time slots that were offered and the long commute.

Angela

The most important thing that I have obtained from being a college student, besides an academic education, is respect for diversity. I don't simply mean diversity in terms of race either. I have learned how to work in groups of individuals that I would not want to be associated with simply because of our vast lifestyle differences. Some people are not taking school seriously and others can make college seem like you are back in high school dealing with peer pressure, bullying and popularity contests. Throughout my college experience I have learned to keep an open mind all the while staying focused on what is important to me. I have learned to not let others influence me or make me feel like I have to fit in with their standards. The nice thing about college is I get to be who I am, myself. I attract the kind of people I do want to be associated with when I am myself. As for those individuals that I prefer not to associate myself with I treat them with respect but never waver from what I believe in. The popularity contest is OVER!! I am VICTORIOUS!!

Sam Houston State UNiversity is the best campus to be on mainly becuase the staff and faculty. Each one are caring and devoted to assisting the students with any and all of their needs so that they will be able to excell in their future endeavores.

I have obtained more knowledge on how to be of first hand assistance to the community and individuals within. This campus is surrounded with so many caring people from the staff, professors, and students, that it is impossible for anyone to feel alone and or fail out of school. They campus all the way around is friendly to the persons who inhabit it and very "user" friendly so that people will not get lost. My experience has been amazing, gaining the opportunity to intact with this campus has been one that I will miss after I graduate. The course work is not too difficult and if you are having trouble the professors are always their to extend and hand to ensure that you will prevail over the material. Sam Houston State University gives anyone the experience of a lifetime and fulfills a sense of belongingness to the community.

I wish I would have known more about off-campus housing

Sam Houston State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.