Huntsville, TX
Sam Houston State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Sam Houston State University

Really plan out your degree and have options available if emergencies should arise. Plan on doing your best always and really work hard to do well, so that when you get to go out and have fun, you can really have fun and not worry about school.

This school really is supported by the town and community. The people that live here are always attending events, sports and arts. Everyone is really supportive of all the students here.

Jonathan

I would say that you need to look at what you want to do in life and base your decision off of what you want to make of yourself. The social part of school will be there no matter what school you go to, and friends will always be there as long as you put yourself out there, so don't worry about those factors. Get involved but make sure that you have time for studying. It is a long toller coaster ride so be prepared to have ups and downs and know that it is normal to have hard times, but know also that the good always is so much better than the bad.

Time saving techniques. I am busy with my job, school and fraternity, and I am left with a small amounts of time to study.

I believe the food to be the worst thing on campus. I wish there were more healthy choices for me. I never ever eat the junk food, but I sometimes have to just eat a salad because there is nothing else good to eat.

Haley

My classmates are mostly friendly and willing to help.

My classmates are mostly friendly and willing to help.

Sam Houston State is best known for its college of Criminal Justice.

In my experience, the best way to find the right college is, first, to decide whether or not to attend an in-state school. Second, if the funds are available, visiting the school is the best way to decide if the school is the right one. I visited three campuses and found that the college I am attending now made me feel the most comfortable even though I had no idea where to go or how to get where I wanted to go at first. Making the best of the college experience is up to the student. However, I have found that keeping in touch with my parents is essential for my emotional well-being. College is tough, and I get frustrated and feel over-whelmed often, but my parents are always there for me when I call. Parents cannot be the only means of support, though. Friends are extremely important because students have to get away from their books sometimes. That can mean going to the movies or just having a bite to eat, but it is vital to maintain a healthy state of mind.

I would advise parents to encourage their children to attend college in the first place. Whether the money is there or not, education is a key success in our world. For students I would advise getting very involved. May I be more specific and say getting involved in the right crowd. Universities offer so many different organizations (for your major or interests), religious groups, athletic groups, or whatever you can think of. Staying cooped up in your dorm is no way to experience college or even do well. Get to know people and find study groups. Make education the priority and make time for the social. Having friends who will suffer through staying up late and studying are a great way to experience college.

The worst part about this school is that there's too much focus on fraternity and sorority life. For that reason I believe it has caused our school to be considered "a party school". There's two nights a week that everyone goes out and parties and then they pack up on the weekend and go home. Lame.

Usually, you won't find me bragging at all. However, if I decide to, I'd brag about the gym. We have an amazing work-out facility. By far the best part of campus. Even Huntsville for that matter. The gym has great hours and offers so many different machines. It includes courts for basketball, volleyball, raquetball, etc. It has an indoor track and a nice swimming pool.

Amber

The best advice is to visit college campuses that you are interested, and talk to people that are a part of that community so you can get a really good feel for what the campus experience is like! And don't let anyone influence your decision, pick the college that you want to go to, not what your best friend wants!

Someone who enjoys small town living, and a friendly community! Someone who wants to be more involved in classes, and have smaller classrooms where discussion is possible with the professors, and they are likely to learn your name.

On campus food chooses are not favorable at all. The times are not good, and there are not many food options available!

Leigha

Find one in a place that you would want to stay at for 4 or more years. Also look for one that has your major transfering is not easy and not really always a good idea since it can be hard to find the right courses to take.

Not really a whole lot...I think I do more complaining than I do bragging. The only thing I brag about is how many math people are here and how I have made a few short term friends that are also math majors.

I would say one that doesn't like to do a lot of walking and if you really like urban areas you shouldn't attend this school.

Jenna

Finding the right college can be a daunting task. In order to avoid having to transfer in the middle of your college career and possibly lose college credit, parents and students should sit down together and look , in detail, at all the majors and activities their colleges of interest have to offer. Maybe there are two or three majors you're interested in, but you are not sure which major you want to be THE MAJOR, try to go to a school which offers all of them. Therefore, you wont run into the problem of having to transfer later. To make the most of the college experience, students need to fully plan things out. Graduating late can be a big bummer. To avoid that, students should pay close attention to their degree plan. Students also should not forget to budget their money. Running out of money half-way through the semester is also a bummer; so don't forget to plan, plan, plan.

The campus itself is very beautiful. It has amazing landscaping. Plus it is a perfect size so that walking across campus never takes longer than 10 minutes.

I wish there were more healthy eating options available on campus. There is mostly just fast food available. Parking is also a huge problem. In the morning until about lunch, parking is almost impossible.

Veronica

Sam Houston State University is a place where students can grow, learn, and enhance their perspective on life and educational possibilites.

Don't look at the cost of tuition first. Look at all of the possibilites. In most instances you'll receive enough financial aid to cover heavy expenses. Consider the schools that cater to your academic/social priorities (i.e., great Business prgrams for business majors, etc.)

The size of the small financial aid staff for such a large number of students. All of the cultural activities and groups offered on campus.

Make as many visits to campuses to find the one that you find to be the most comfortable.

The best thing about my school is the open door policy with professors. I never feel too embarrased or intimidated to walking into a professors' office to discuss a problem or situation.

I think the fact that there is a lack of school spirit and majority of students leave on the weekends are two of very limited number of drawbacks of Sam Houston State University.

Sam Houston State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.