Sam Houston State University

« See more reviews of Sam Houston State University

There are three crucial parts in choosing a college and making the most of it: Live on campus. The friendships developed are inimitable. It made college feel like an experience and not just another year of school. It allots students the opportunity to develop as an individual. The independence is frightening at first, but ultimately it teaches responsibility, discipline, and time management so live on campus! Evaluate your personality in comparison to the town?s aura/ distance. Coming from Houston?s wide array of restaurants and great diversity to the conservative, small town of Huntsville made the transition more difficult and less enjoyable. Also, being fairly nostalgic and away from home made the security of having family close crucial. Several people have dropped out of college to return home because the depression of being away. Choose the college strictly on your standards. When I began college I knew two things: biology major and family must be near. I had always planned on going to UH because it was everything I needed; however, since my criterion was broad, I followed my best friend. I realize that if I had pursued my plan, I would appreciate college to its full extent.

I have gotten many things from my college experience. One the thing that happened was that I developed into an adult. It was my first time living away from my parents and I was forced make decisions for my future. The professors and the advisors were always available to support me in making academic decisions such as choosing a major. Sam Houston State University offeres many educational options. I had the opportunity to take different courses and to be exposed to many things that I had never heard of prior to college. For example, I had the opportunity to complete course work in geography and cultural studies. I have been able to use that education as I enteract with people from different ethnic groups. The most important thing that I've received from college was a degree. A college degree opens so many doors to opportunities that one may not have otherwise. I have had the opportunity to work in a wonderfull profession that I love. I also been able to continue with graduate studies and that would not be possible without the completion of my bachelor's degree. Completing college was one the best decisions I've ever made.

Considering the wealth of newly acquired knowledge I’ve had the privilege of learning, educational and life-related, I would advise my former self to follow his passion and embrace his uniqueness as an individual. I was cursed with the unfortunate ailment of social awkwardness that plagued me well into my sophomore year. Luckily, I was able to outgrow that very troublesome trait and accept my uniqueness, and in turn, I drastically increased my self-esteem and successfully interacted with a rather large number of my peers. I would have just wished this transition to occur at the inception of my high school experience. Knowing what I know now, I can easily attest to the fact that the entirety of my high school experience would’ve been much more desirable if I had embraced my differences as an individual and followed my own path as opposed to following others. All in all, I am thankful for the lessons that high school has taught me as it has been integral in bringing me to aforementioned conclusion and teaching me that individual differences are to embraced and not ignored as they define the aggregate worth of our existence as individuals.

I have found a purpose for myself at Sam Houston State in the least place I expected, my freshman English course. My first assignment was to write a personal narrative over the previous summer. That was the time when I transferred to Texas. Hell is a quaint word to describe what went on during my household while packing up our house. I had recently been transferred from a private institution as an insecure physics major. This was my first college English course. An epiphany came over me as I was reviewing my final draft. I was writing this sobering tale through my eyes, realizing the true extent of my father?s coercive and manipulating nature that I refused to see in the beginning. Suddenly my priorities and aspirations didn?t make any sense any more. The university was flexible where I took philosophy and literature classes as electives to explore who I really was and what I wanted to do with my life. And I walked away each time with a higher level of awareness about the world around me, making my previous life a mere shadow. I have learned more about life here than I could've possibly fathomed.

Finding the university that fits a potential college freshman is imperative in making them feel more adaptable to the huge changes that are about to occur. Make sure that you are able to feel at ease during your orienation or campus tour. The tour guides at Sam Houston and other univeristies are usually more than happy to answer any questions. It is very important to find out information regarding your university that you may attend. A well known fact. that is slowly discovered as a college student, is that no question is a stupid question; with that in mind be sure to ask as many questions at orientation as well as during your entire education experience. The most important thing to keep in mind is comfort at your university, whether it be your major or the school in general. If you're not comfortable for any reason, you should talk to someone and see if there is any way you can feel more at ease. Most freshman deal with this issue, but it is easily resolved within the first few weeks away at school. They can join clubs or groups to help feel more involved within their new school.

I encourage your child to become active in the school. It is an amazing experience if you give yourself a chance. I was in the band my first year and enjoyed the bond between the drumline and I've made life long friends in the process. I, not at all a girlie girl and most refered to as a tomboy, joined a beautiful sorority and love the social and community experiences it has offered me. Not all sororities are for preppy girls, and not all the fraternaties are for stereotypical on this campus. In advice for finding the right college, I recommend visiting campuses. I traveled to San Antonio and Ohio and other cities touring campuses, and when you find one that just feels right to you, and after you've explored your posibilities in what you'd like to accomplish in that school, go to orientation. Orientation gives you an idea of the student community as well as the staff interactions with the students. For example, after going to so many campuses, Sam Houston spoke out to me. It is a beautiful campus and at orientation, the students were comfortable with the staff. Perfect. :)

Dear Shelby, I know senior year seems to be stressful with just getting everything together but just realize and appreciate how lucky you are to already know where you are going. Sam Houston State University is a great school and has so much to offer you. For starters, don't take trigonometry, you don't need it! You should just go ahead and start taking your classes towards being a Business Administration major. I know it's a broad degree but keeping your options open will be good since you will be graduating a year early due to your hardwork in high school and taking summer classes. Always remember you are Student-Athlete, Student comes first, so even though you may need sleep for that big game tomorrow, your grade on that accounting final is top priority. Lastly, remember to stay true to yourself. Be confident in who you are because you will be used in a great way wherever you end up. Keep your dream alive to make a difference in the world. Pursue your MBA and then tryout for the professional soccer team! The only time you truly fail is when you never give it a shot!

I would definitely inform myself of the financial strain to attend college, how important it is to manage time, and to study and turn in all assignments promptly. College is not cheap, and although you may find a cheaper priced college that you like, things can and will add up quickly. You should apply for every, and all, scholarships; no matter how small the amount, because every dollar counts. In doing this you should be able to focus on school, rather than worrying if all the bills will be paid in a timely fashion. Secondly, time management is very important, especially for a first year student working part time. You should make an hourly schedule for each day and try to follow it. In addition to the schedule, purchase a monthly planner as well to keep track of due dates for class assignments. Continuing off of keeping track of due dates, make sure everything is turned in on time or early. To make sure this is done, read the text prior to class so that you understand the material on homework assignments. These all are very important to a successful college experience.

There are many who look towards finding the "right college" for themselves, and for their children. The real truth is, however, any college can be the "right college". Most colleges have a good mix of social and academic areas that people can take part in. Anyone looking for academic challenge will find it, and anyone looking for a party will find it. The problem with success in college has little to do with the colleges themselves, and more with the people who attend them. You could be provided everything you need by the school, and still easily fail. Remember, college is not for everyone, and if you find yourself struggling semester after semester it's important to re-examine what you want from life. If college doesn't work out, there's a whole world out there that can be achieved without a degree. In other words, if you think you're not going to be able to graduate in 4-5 years because it's too hard, college isn't for you. It's important for parents to be supportive of their student children in anything they do, even if it ends up they aren't going to attend.

Reflecting backwards onto my life as a senior in high school, there are some changes I would make. I would be more involved in clubs, and activities not only for the social aspects but also for the fact it helps with many scholarship applications to have these experiences. I would apply and research scholarships a lot sooner and apply for all that I was qualified for to help with the financial burden of college. I would have saved more money as well from my work; although I did a fair job at that I was not prepared for the realization of the cost of college. I may even tell myself to have a little more fun in high school as college would be faster paced, and much harder curriculum wise. I would only go to the Community College for one year and then transfer into a four year university, or go straight to the four year university. I ended up taking some classes that were not needed at the 4 year university but were required for an Associate degree from the Community College. This cost me extra time and money for classes that did not even "count" as credits.