Sam Houston State University Top Questions

Dear high school me, Get of the computer because I know that is where you are right now. Go do your homework that if you don't complete any the whole year will drop your grade a full grade point. Learn how to take proper notes and learn how to study those notes. College is not like high school, if you don't do homework and if you don't study, you will not pass with the grade you want. You might get by with a C but when your final transcript comes in you will regret not studying for that midterm in Geoology. Sincerely, College me

Meagan

If I could go back in time, I would advise myself to take advantage of every oppertunity possible, have better time management, and to take all of my more difficult classes earlier in the years, so that I would not have to try and complete them so close to graduation and risk having my graduation date pushed back. I would prioritize my time and submit assignments as soon as possible and get invlolved in clubs that I am interested in and that would beneift my future. I would take advantage of any leadership oppertunities and conferences that my university provides and I would stay active and eat healthy. By staying active and eating a balanced diet I would have the energy needed to complete course work in a timely fashion and it would have promoted a stress free lifestyle.

As the first in my family to attend college, I had no guidance as to what I should pursue, or what I should study. I was also not very motivated to do school work and my grades suffered as a result. If I could go back, I would give myself a swift kick in the behind and tell myself to get my stuff together. I would tell myself that I needed to perform well so that I can be competitive in the work force. I would also have guided myself to a different educational path. I would have tried to sell myself a degree in a STEM field. The fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics are the keys to the future, and if I wanted to be relevant and competitive in the future, I'd better get onboard.

Tatum

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to take as many college credit classes that I could. I came into college with no college credits, and I wish I woud've taken the advantage of that in high school. I also would tell myself to consider taking the scholarships I was offered to play sports in college. I would tell myself to focus on what I want to do, rather than what everyone else was telling me to do. As well as not to have a boyfriend going into college.

Fill out more scholarships to help with my college tuition.

Destinee

Senior year in high school was the best year. I felt like I was on top of the world. All I had to do was get accepted to college piece of cake, everything else will follow. "Boy!" was I wrong. If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would explain that its not as easy as it seems. I would advice myself to cherish the little responsibility I have and start prioritizing. Explain that procastinating only makes the work harder because there are multiple assignments you have to work on. The half work that you did in high school wil not make it in college. You have to transition into adult mode becasue you are no longer a child in these professors eyes. They look at you as someone who will one day be managing there bank account or running a business for thousands of people. Last but not least apply for scholarships it will make everything so much easier finacially. All this advice would of saved me from breaking out because of stress and sleepless nights. if only I knew what I knew now back then.

To apply for scolarships and take school more seriously.

Jordin

If I could go back in time to advise myself as a prospective college student, I would mentor myself through the entire process. I am a first generation college student who regrettably realizes that I was blind to the basics of applying to and attending a university. I cringe as I recall how naive I was: applying to only one school, ignoring scholarship opportunities, and not filling out a FAFSA until last minute. It actually amazes me that I was able to make it to classes at all. I was completely clueless to all things a second or third generation college student would know. Even now, I am just starting to realize the importance of forming relationships with professors, getting involved with clubs and organizations, and volunteering. I know that if I had someone close to me who had gone through the process, my first year of college would have gone much smoother. If I could go back in time, I would be that person.

Don't rush to a large state school! You will do so much better if you learn proper study skills and experience college coursework from a community college first. I know it's not the ideal plan, but you will save a lot of money and will come away with a better understanding of college expectations. Get involved! It's important to establish new friendships and relationships with your peers. It's also imperative that you make an impression on your professors as they can help to mentor and guide you, not to mention provide strong references for scholarship and job applications. Mostly importantly, don't get discouraged! It's easy to not do well on one test and assume that you will never recover. Learn from that, take advantage of the tutoring available on campus, talk with your professors, form a study group - but don't give up. It will all be worth it when you finish!

If I could go back and talk to my high school senior self, I would tell myself that I need to learn how to study. Since studying is a major part of college life, I would have definitely told myself that I need to start learning my style of studying and getting use to studying. That, unlike high school, college you need to dedicate time for studying and some subjects will not come as easy as they did in high school where I didn't have to study.

I'd tell myself to make sure I sign up with to my classes early, or I wouldnt get the ones I need. I'd tell myself don't slack off, make sure you are ready to work hard. I'd try to make sure I was ready for what college really is. I wasn't ready for what I was going into and now I feel over whelmed. My pasted self would really need to know about how hard college is and how I need to put off my video games and hanging out with friends. I'd tell myself what I wished someone had told me.

I would advise myself to keep working hard in school. I would have liked to keep a more focused mind about my studies and homework. As a freshamn, I was so used to not really doing anything my senior year but there is actually a lot of work you have to put in and college. I would also want to learn to manage my time and to budget my money. You never know what things might come up and you always have to have a backup plan.

I would tell myself to work harder. Ever since I was little everybody told me that I was very smart. Learning came easy and school was a breeze to me. As I got older I learned that I could get away with doing less and still get good grades. I started to pick and choose which assignments I wanted to do and I would put all of my effort into those and I wouldn't even try the others. As I got into higher level classes during my junior and senior year that plan stopped working. I started struggling with classes. Even though I'm in college this mentality still plagues me. I still find myself trying to pick certain assignments to pass up. I have been successful at breaking myself out of this most of the time. If I could go back and talk to my high school self I would tell myself to break out of this habit a lot earlier.

Deondria

Take deep breaths. Stop stressing about that government exam because you are going to fail the class anyway. You don’t have to take all AP classes if you feel like you’re not going to succeed in them. Freshman English is better than taking those critical reading assessments in English AP anyway. It doesn’t matter if everyone else doesn’t think you are smart, know your worth. Stop forcing yourself to become friends with everyone. It’s pointless in trying to impress them because you won’t even remember their names two years from now. You are going to hate your freshman year of college and that's okay. It’s going to be an emotional year, but you are going to end it with a better perspective on life. You are going to thrive off of positivity. You are going to learn that friendship does not equate having the same classes with the same person. You are going to wish you had that government exam when you take Organic Chemistry. You are going to fail a lot, but you are going to learn from those failures. Everything is going to be just fine. Remember those deep breaths.

Dear Shelby, I know senior year seems to be stressful with just getting everything together but just realize and appreciate how lucky you are to already know where you are going. Sam Houston State University is a great school and has so much to offer you. For starters, don't take trigonometry, you don't need it! You should just go ahead and start taking your classes towards being a Business Administration major. I know it's a broad degree but keeping your options open will be good since you will be graduating a year early due to your hardwork in high school and taking summer classes. Always remember you are Student-Athlete, Student comes first, so even though you may need sleep for that big game tomorrow, your grade on that accounting final is top priority. Lastly, remember to stay true to yourself. Be confident in who you are because you will be used in a great way wherever you end up. Keep your dream alive to make a difference in the world. Pursue your MBA and then tryout for the professional soccer team! The only time you truly fail is when you never give it a shot!

If I could go back in time, I would definitely advise my senior self to "Keep Calm and Relax". There are so many stresses associated with graduation and moving on with the next part of your life. When you finally get there, it's amazing to realize all the things you thought were so important really don't matter as much. No one cares if you were the class president or if you recieved an honorable mention in football, and that remedial math course you threw such a fit about is what is actually keeping you from failing college algebra. The truth is, the experiences we have in high school are important and help to shape our ideals and future paths, but they are not defining. Everything we experience, good and bad, helps us to make better choices later in life. Embrace the good times, learn from the bad times, keep calm and relax because it will all work out.

Madeline

If I could go back and offer myself any kind of advice as a high school senior I would have quite a few things to say. In the past few months I have learned a lot, about myself, the real world, money struggle and much more. I would start off by telling myself to apply for as many scholarships as I qualified for. I applied for several but looking back I feel as if I could have done so much more; and it will make things so much easier in the long run. I would also let myself know to do what I want to do and not let everyone else get into my head. College is a huge decision and I tend to be very indecisive. I juggled the choice between community college and a university for months until I decided to do what was best for me. I stressed for so long about what everyone else wanted me to do. Lastly, I would just remind myself to not stress so much and everything will work out for the best.

Julianna

Be you. Don't change yourself for a boy, don't allow yourself to get mixed up with the wrong crowd, just be you. If you want to accomplish something go out and do it. No one and nothing can stop you, but youself. Forget about anyone who has ever told you can't or has installed fear into you. You are your own person. Have confidence in yourself and fufill your dreams, afterall you only have one life to live. Some of the friends you have now might not be there later for you, but the friends you make in college, with good judgement are here to stay. Don't stay so sheltered go out and be a tradional college student. Go to parties, but stay on track with school. You're paying to go to college so don't be dumb and flunk. Stay focused. Boys aren't important, but have fun and be safe. If you don't want to be that person everyone thought you were in high school this is your time to change that. There will be bumps in the road, but remember you pave your own road .

Abria

Scholarships! I would definitely say apply for as many scholarships as possible. In high school it doesn't seem that important but once you see your fee statements every semester, you will wish you had applied for scholarships. Be active. Once you make it to college it is nothing like high school. There is more freedom and way more to do. Get involved with the right crowds. It's so easy to get distracted, but you have to remember why you came to school in the first place. Always have fun but stay focused and stusy hard!

Seth

I would tell myself to focus more on school and less on working. Money is a huge stressor in college and often times it has effected my grades. The fear of not being able to make rent, buy groceries, and even being able to pay off my massive school loans have always made me try and get a job and work hard. However, being a full time student, work has fought for my attention. Choosing between work and school is a constant battle. I try to always put school first to get a better education but I have often failed. If I could go back in time I would tell myself to not worry about money as much and focus on school, it will all work out in the end.

Athaliah

Do not be afraid to express your beliefs, because if you are not confident in what you believe you are just another lost soul. People are constantly looking for something to believe and grasp; when you are for something people will be interested in you. Set yourself on fire and people will come for miles to watch you burn, so ask yourself what are you on fire for? Stand for something or you will fall for anything.

Tony

Do not worry so much about your grades. The grades will only be there while you are in school. Focus more on obtaining the information the professor teaches you. Of corse you need to pass, but try to better understand the content of the lesson rather than cram to get an "A" on the test.

Javion

Considering the wealth of newly acquired knowledge I’ve had the privilege of learning, educational and life-related, I would advise my former self to follow his passion and embrace his uniqueness as an individual. I was cursed with the unfortunate ailment of social awkwardness that plagued me well into my sophomore year. Luckily, I was able to outgrow that very troublesome trait and accept my uniqueness, and in turn, I drastically increased my self-esteem and successfully interacted with a rather large number of my peers. I would have just wished this transition to occur at the inception of my high school experience. Knowing what I know now, I can easily attest to the fact that the entirety of my high school experience would’ve been much more desirable if I had embraced my differences as an individual and followed my own path as opposed to following others. All in all, I am thankful for the lessons that high school has taught me as it has been integral in bringing me to aforementioned conclusion and teaching me that individual differences are to embraced and not ignored as they define the aggregate worth of our existence as individuals.

If I were able to go back and give advice to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself two things. First, I would tell myself to enjoy school while it's free. In high school, we spend so much time wishing we were in college or not forced to attend school when in reality, it is so much better than constantly worrying about how you are going to pay your tuition, books, supplies, and living expenses. Second, I'd tell myself that I needed to work harder. While I took dual classes, and was in the top 10{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of my class, I wasn't prepared at all for what an actual university was going to throw my way. It takes a lot of studying, time, and dedication to your degree to actually accomlpish anything. All in all, those are the two biggest things that I'd warn my ignorant self about.

Paula

To never give up on anything, make everything you do be your best in never let people tell you differnt.

Step outside your comfort zone. Do as many things as possible. Meet as many new people you can. Do not waste time on things that do not matter. Make everyday count. Study. Make mistakes. Fix the mistakes. Get enough sleep. Plan head. Don't procrastinate. Talk to your professors. Make life long friends. Most importantly, this is going to be an awesome part of your life, get ready.

If I could go back and give myself advice I would say listen to the advice that is given to you whether it would be from a stanger or from your parents. I would also say that dont be afraid to start over in a new place. Dont try and keep hold of something just so you dont have to go to college alone. You will meet new people possibly better people then the one friend you try to keep. Be yourself dont change for any reason or anyone. Its okay to be sad and scared; terrified even, its normal. Remember why you are doing this and that you are loved and supported by your family and someone who loves you. Things are going to change and thats good because change reveals who people really are and who you are and how strong you are. Take one day at a time; one moment at a time. Breath when things get bumpy and remember its okay to cry. Dont be afraid to pick up the phone and call your family. Breath and you will make it through, hopefully :). Take it day by day and breath.

Kyra

Hey Kyra, This is your future self just writing to give you some advice. I know you are stressing out about college and leaving home, but just stop and breathe. Their are so many things I wish I could tell you but I will sum it up to the important things. Firstly, even though you have an academic advisor always check to make sure you are in the right class. Trust me this will save you a lot of stress. Don't procrastinate, while college is not as hard as they said, it is completly different, so stay on top of everything. Finally, don't forget who you are. I know everyone thinks you need to change and become this classy, proper lady, but that's not you. You're goofy and sometimes a cussword or two slips out, but that's what makes you, you. You're loved and you have an amazing suppport system that wll always be there. You make it through all the rough times and struggles and in the end you become a more refined version of yourself. That's what this whole adventure has been about. We turn out okay so don't worry.

LaShawn

Any guidance I received about college life was from a counselor who processed me and about 200 other kids in a 48 hour period a week before I graduated high school. Somehow that wasn’t enough to prepare me for what was to come. I never knew just how much of a balancing act college is until I experienced it myself. To my younger self I would say to spend your precious time wisely. Don’t waste all night at that unauthorized kegger and spend the next day hungover. Instead, go to bed early so you can make it to lab on time and focused. Not only is your time in college precious, it’s expensive. Someone is paying thousands of dollars and investing in you so that you’ll be able to reinvest in the future. Don’t squander that. And it feels a lot better to know you aced that exam because you studied hard rather than knowing you flunked it because you partied hard. College is what you make of it, as they say. How will you spend your best years?

If I was given the chance to talk with my high school senior self, I would first hug myself and provide reassurance. Knowing the uncertain feelings of a first generation college student, I would tell myself to keep pressing the limits because I will succeed. I would reassure myself that it gets better and that high school is only a stepping stone in the game of life. I have a life full of experiences to encounter and no matter what stay true to my values. I would tell myself not to give my mom such a hard time, it’s not easy but admit when your wrong and she is right (it will happen a lot). Most of all I would say don’t panic! Life has a way of working itself out if you just stay focused, determined and humble. To quote The Rolling Stones “You can’t always get what you want, but if you try sometime you find, you get what you need.”

I would start by playing a game of Tennis with my past self, and during that game of tennis I would tell myself not to worry about the little things. I would enlighten myself with the knowledge that "If you are honest with yourself about who you are and what you want out of life, happiness will follow". I would also make a point to tell my past self "Be you! the right people will find their way into your life". High School was boring, nothing of interest, but College is where learning becomes fun. The inspiration you will find will excite you beyond comprehention. Also as a side note from myself to my past self, Apply for Scholarships and Grants, paying back Student Loans Sucks! and don't forget your Awesome!

tianna

If i could go back and talk to myself in high school, about college i would tell me to stay true to myself. That in college it is easy to be distracted and to fall in the wrong crowd. Id say to stay focus on studies because in the end getting the diploma is all that matters.

Believe in yourself. If I could go back to my senior year, that is the first thing I would say. I would explain the importance of having self-confidence and self-awareness. I would tell myself to not get caught up on what is cool, what is recent, or what is happening now, but to focus on the future and what steps it is going to take to get there. I’d remind myself that the life I make after high school is incredibly important, and I should take every opportunity to do well and prosper in my last year as a high school student. Take advanced classes, challenge myself more in the last year before the beginning of the rest of my life. I’d advise myself to take my education seriously, and to take myself seriously, because it’s going to be a tough road and I must work hard. I’d remind myself high school self to harbor trust, dedication, and strength within me, and to not take other’s judgments or opinions with a grain of salt. But most of all, I’d tell myself “you can do this.”

George

I would tell myself not to make the mistake I am about to make. Throughout my senior year, I had a goal of attending St. Pete college of New Jersey for Graphic Designs. However, I decided to leave my parents house while still in school because I did not get along with my step mother. This choice has led me to working full time while still in school and forcing me to finish school during the summer. Since I had to focus on my full time job and keeping my head above the waters, I did not go to college. So my advice to my high school senior self is to focus on school and do not leave home. While things may seem tough dealing with my step mother, it is much worse out here where I had to live in my car and beg for food instead of going to school

Ann

If I could go back, I would've exposed myself more to the world out of high school. We live in such a beautiful and enormous world and I feel that sometimes high school students do not realize all the great things that we humans are capable of. After this past year I have learned so much about myself but at times I wish I would've put myself out there more, because I believe it could've helped me discover more about who I am and what I am capable of. I want to be the girl that inspires others when they have no hope. I want to be the girl who makes people smile even when they don't think it's possible. One day I want change the world. And I believe that I can. Thank you for your time.

karen

My advice to you is to reserach more about what colleges you want to attend. Starts studying like a college student instead of watching tv right after school. Be more attentive and apply to as many scholarships as possible. College is not free and it is extremely expensive. However, have fun during your senior year because once you get to college, your spare time is gone and you will see yourself studying more than you sleep.

Okay, first of all I’m here to tell you that the transition to college is only as hard as you make it. You need to stop playing those useless computers games and start applying for scholarships now! You and I both know you’re poor, and putting this cost of attending college on our family is not going to help anyone especially our family who is going through hard financial times. The first thing you need to do is sit down and think about what you want! Decide on a school, but don’t limit yourself to certain schools. Apply anywhere you can, and apply for scholarships right now! This is the most crucial part of the transition. Apply, apply, and apply! Do not get discouraged there are so many scholarships with your name on them. Let me tell you that at this point, I am scared of dropping out because of my lack of money, please don’t repeat this mistake. Also, one you decide on a school, check their website for scholarships and opportunities, I didn’t realize how much I missed out until I got here. Remember to apply for housing early and good luck!

I would advise myself to buckle down now and go straight off to a 4 year university. Community college will discourage you in achieving your dream of being a veterinarian. It will be scary, but go ahead and take that leap of faith and dive on in. There is no where to go but up. If you do not believe in yourself, no one will.

Mallory

I would tell myself to participate more in high school sports so that I could have qualified for athletic scholarships.

Daniela

Aim BIG, the opportunities are out there.

Spencer

I would tell myself to just stay focused in school and grades because it is so important in the long run. I would also tell myself not to apply for classes late because all the good classes get taken first. Lastly, I would tell myself that I need to apply for scholarships while I am in high school because college life is so very expensive.

I would tell myself to take more pride in what I wanted to do with my life, career wise. I was made fun of in high school because I wanted to be a zookeeper, but people here at Sam Houston embrace it, because there are many others who want to do the same. I wish I had taken more pride about it in high school, because it would have saved me a lot of tears and anger. I decided as a senior that I was going to go to school for Biology and work in a research lab, because everyone else thought that was ‘cooler’ than being a zookeeper. I was not happy with this choice, and as soon as I realized that the only thing that mattered was what I wanted to do, I switched my career plan to zookeeping and I am now having a blast! I have learned that it doesn’t matter what everyone else thinks of me, because as long as I stay true to myself and what I really want out of my own life, then I will be happy and prosperous. I only wish that I had figured this out sooner!

Keith

I would have told my high school self to not stress out as much on the studies and to enjoy the time I had with my friends, becuase it would be one of the last times I would be able to see them again. I would have also told myself to take more dual credit classes so that when I first get to college, I can go straight into my major. One last piece of advice I would give myself would be to understand that this is privilege and blessing to be getting a top rate education.

Being a senior, I fell into the horrible habit of procrastination and ended up putting pretty much everything off to the last possible minute. If I could go back in time to my high school senior-self, I would tell myself to start early on finding scholarships and financial aid. My dad owns his own tree trimming business and works hard for every penny he makes, although I have received a scholarship for playing soccer here at Sam Houston, it's just not enough. I have a long way to go to achieve my dreams but I am determined. Being the college student I am today, I could go back and tell myself a lot of small things to do, but keeping straight As and getting money for college are definitely the most important.

Mallory

I would tell myself to listen more closely to my parents. Amazingly, they know a whole lot about life and how to survive the first year of college.

Debrisha

Debrisha, just keep doing what your doing. College is going to be something new and exciting but in the end its high school just on a much larger scale. Keep your head in the books, because all the partying will try and distract you from your goal. Oh and do not register for thise 8 a.m. classes, you're going to hate those by the end of the first semester!

If I could go back in time and give advice to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to work harder my first two years of college and make better grades in my basic classes. I would tell myself to buy all of my textbooks and sell them back on www.amazon.com and not waste money in the campus bookstore. I would also tell myself to decide on my major in English, so I wouldn't change my major three different times, which caused me to take classes I didn't necessarily need. Other than that, I would tell myself not to change a thing! My first three years of college have been a blast and have been a great learning experience, both in life lessons and academically. I wouldn't change the major parts of my college experience for the world!

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior there are two things I would tell myself; do not be afraid to go out and have fun and follow your instincts. It took me a bit to adjust to college social life. I had had the same friends since middle school, and then I went to a college where none of my friends were attending. It took my a couple of months to actually make good friends and I cannnot help, but feel like a missed out on those early months. I also spent my first year in college with a major that did not make me happy or feel accomplished. I had planned to follow my dreams of radio and television, but I stuck with a major that made me feel safe. Now that I am changing after a year I feel like I am going to be behind from my graduation track. Essentially, I would tell myself that college is what you make it. No one can make it easy for you and no one can do all of your school work. Be yourself and be motivated.

Brisha

If I had a time machine, and I could go back in time to when I was a senior I would go back and tell myself to apply, apply, and apply some more for scholarships!!! There were so many opportunities I missed out on, because I did not want to write essays or find out information for a certain scholarship. I do not regret anything I did, but I do wish that I had applied for more scholarships, and worked harder to get them instead of half way going through the process. Lastly, if I could go back I would tell myself to study hard for tests and quizzes. I did not think quizzes could help me in the long run if I needed that extra bump from a high B to an A. Now I study for quizzes, and tests weeks before the test or quiz is even scheduled. There is a ton of information that has to be stored, and then brought back up, that a late-night cramming session just won’t cut it.

My college experience has allowed me to meet many new people and step outside my personal comfort zone. In being from a small town this was an important step into helping me prepare for the business world. The many people I have met have shown me the beauty in speaking up and getting myself out there. Sam Houston State has allowed me to realize who I am and shown me that I am my own individual with valuable ideas and concepts. The smaller class sizes were perfect for me to have the one-on-one interaction that I need to actively learn the material being discussed. I am part of the history of this school. In paving the way for future generations, I will show them that even though this is a smaller school the quality of the educaton I am receiving is worth the drive up to Huntsville Texas. I am Sam Houston State and I am the future.