Sam Houston State University

« See more reviews of Sam Houston State University

The summer before my first semester of college was filled with lots of worrying. I had to prepare myself to move away from my home and start all over in a new place. I definitely was scared. I wish I would have known that my life was going to change but it was going to be better. Many great new friends and interesting educational experiences awaited me. I would learn to adapt to the change and would become a stronger person because of it. If i would have know this, I wouldn't have been scared, but excited.

I Transfered from another University after 1st semester as a Freshman, It just was not a good fit., even with going to the campus ,taking tours, it just was not for me. Played soccer and it was just 24/7 with the soccer team and no time to for relationships outside of soccer. They also dropped my major without saying anything. So like it or not I had to leave. I did alot of hard looking and weighing the pro and cons before deciding to attend Sam Houston. I'm glad I did.

I wish I had enrolled in this school before attending a private math and science college up north. This school has the quality of a private university with the state college cost, and the professors here have more background and experience than that joke of a forty thousand dollar a year institution I transfered out of. Given the experience of a typical state university, students have more leeway to explore what they want to study from chemistry to literature.

I wish I had known how easy it is to get involved. Sam Houston has student activities and organizations for just about everyone. All you have to do is go to meetings and try them out. As a whole, the campus is so friendly, so don't be afraid to meet knew people. However, I really wish I knew that Sam Houston is kind of a suitcase college; meaning most students leave on the weekends, so it can get dull when you are unable to go home.

I wish I had known that this school did not have a very strong Science program. I also wish I had known that I need 42 hours of upper level class credit in order to graduate. That way I would have taken a heavier class load my first two years so that I will have an easier time fulfilling the requirements I need. I also wish I had known more about my professors: which are the good ones and which are the not so great ones.

I wish I had known how bad the parking situatuon was. There are not enough parking spots for the number of students that are enrolled. The Campus sits on top of a hill, and almost all the parking lots are at the bottom of the hill. There was one parking garage when i attended SHSU, and I wish someone would have told me to get a reserved spot.

When you apply for the honors college in Sam Houston and get accepted you automatically get a 10,000 dollar scholarship. That would have really helped with paying my education so far. There is many more opportunities to earn money in the school like work study or other type of organizations where you can earn scholarships.

I wish I had known about the parking situations on campus. There really aren't that many parking lots and they fill up extremely quick. You pay almost 100 dollars for a parking pass and then still have to park off campus and walk or in the parking garage and pay $5 so that really kind of stinks.

I wish that I had LISTENED to the advice given to me before I came to SHSU. That asking someone when you need help understanding something can be an indicator of wether or not you pass that class. Also, that studying outside of the classroom is all dependant on what grade you want to get.

I wish I had know that this was a commuter school, and that to make life work out here, you need a car. You can't expect to keep a job, take care of extra-cirricular obligations, and still have time for everything else that life throws at you without a car.