Sam Houston State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Sam Houston State University

Hailey

Sam Houston State University is the ideal school for someone who would like to explore nature with a mix of city. Academically, this school is one of the best schools for someone who is wanting to primarily focus on academics. Although, there are great opportunities to get out and know each other, the school is not too big where tradition and pride primarily run over the day. Sam Houston State is also one of the safest campus's in Texas and from my time here, has proven that to be true.

Calista

The school kinda sucks, it's not the worst but they don't care for the students as much as they try to hype it up. The most pleasant experiences are usually run or planned by students. The housing usually sucks unless you get the really expensive new dorm but even that one is a little underwhelming. The classes and professors are very hit or miss, some are great at teaching and always available to the students and others are the worst because they either don't teach well, are never available, or have heavy favoritism. Most of the students seem nice enough, but I'm also not a social guy, I have my little niche and that's more than enough for me.

Abbigail

Sam Houston has a strong community. Everyone on campus is involved in one activity or another and there are always opportunities to get involved. First time students of Sam Houston are required to live on campus for their first year and the facilities are amazing. There are free laundromats if you live on-campus which is a great money saver. SHSU also offers tutoring in the math and writing centers as well as free tutoring in the library.

It is a small school, but diffidently knows what they are doing. They have programs that are recognized national and worldwide. There are lots of services for the students and there is always some who will help you. All of the facility is super nice and passionate about their jobs.

Kirstin

I think Sam Houston is a great campus and has a wonderful learning environment. The construction has been going on the past few semesters I've attended at Sam and they are finally finishing up. The wait was definitely worth it because the campus is beautiful! There are plenty of opportunities and resources found on campus. The class sizes are generally okay and the professors are very nice, especially if you take the time to get to know them during their office hours. Most of the professors are glad to help and build connections with you! The campus life is great and it is very easy to meet new people and make new friends. The on campus housing is also great, especially if you stay in the newer dorms!

Stanlee

Sam Houston State University is an absolutely incredible campus, the people are incredible, the classes, and the organizations. Everyone belongs and has something on campus that they can fit into or even create on their own. Not only is it an incredible campus but it’s also a very welcoming campus. My very first day, plenty of kids welcomed me to the campus and even offered to show me around. SHSU is the nicest campus in town, maybe even in the state. Being here makes me proud to be a bearkat, eat em up Kats!

Lisa

It may seem like a big school at first, but it really is just as small as the town. You may see the same people everyday but in a different direction. Everything is almost walking distance and theres always a way in transportation. There is always something to do and going on campus you just have to be very involved.

Jordan

I think that Sam Houston State University is a good place to go to college. There are some programs that haven't gotten the recognition that they need here like the business program or the arts, but this school is amazing for criminal justice majors and mass communication majors. They have many events to stay active, greek life is helpful, not harmful and people care about real-world issues and politics going on. I personally love going to Sam Houston State University and would not choose to go anywhere else.

Karen

After finishing my first year at Sam, I fell in love with the school even more. There is something for anyone to get involved in and super easy to make friends. It's crazy that I made so many friends in my study groups. I'm really happy with my choice of coming to Sam Houston.

Jose

My dream school!

kayla

My first year at SHSU was in 2019. I fell in love with the campus as well as the area around me. I stayed in Pinewoods dorms and would defiantly recommend for incoming freshman. The professors i had were incredibly intelligent and taught so well. There is diversity within the staff and students and i have not had any bad experiences as a minority. Overall, i do really like this school and would recommend for CJ students.

Esmeralda

I want to start with the first thing that everyone sees and that is the beauty of Sam Houston State University and I am not just saying that because I attend this college. There are so many beautiful trees and it is such a green place. It was something that I had seen only in the movies before I attended. There are some pretty great people around as well. There is a lot of construction going on at the moment but it only makes us excited, if not a little annoyed.

Tarinesha

My overall opinion is I love the counselors are always emails you right back. My professors have been awesome, couldn't have choose a better school

Alejandra

Sam Houston State University is a great place to learn about yourself and to recieve higher learning studies. I am glad I am attending this university, the faculty is always willing to help a fellow student. Students are given opportunities for financial and tutoring assistance.

Katherine

SHSU is a decent campus in terms of academics, and it has majors that most colleges in Texas don't offer. I'm not a fan of Huntsville, as it's practically devoid of anything fun to do, but luckily it's within driving distance of other towns like Conroe and College Station.

Danielle

I fell in love with Sam Houston well before I moved here, and my love for it only grows. SHSU has an incredible environment, ranging from amazing professors, great job opportunities, and awesome students. The scenery on campus is great, as long as youre not troubled by the ongoing construction to try and improve this campus! There have been several great new construction projects at SHSU recently, like the addition of a new dorm this semester, and new Biology building that will be opening next fall, and a great new addition to the Student Center set to open in 2018. SHSU has been a great school to me, and I eagerly await what comes next for me as a bearkat. Eat 'em Up Kats!

Jeremiah

Sam Houston State University is a friendly and relatively cost effective University that is renown for excellence in preparing students for careers in Criminal Justice and Teachers Education. Located in Huntsville, Texas SHSU offers a small town atmosphere with plenty of fun things to do on and around campus.

Keighley

Sam Houston is an amazing school located in Huntsville, TX aka Huntsvegas. It's a college town with a home like feel. There so much to do, and everyone is so nice. The smaller classes allow for a better student teacher relationship. Overall it's a way better choice than SFA (; #Eat'EmUpKats

unique

it is great for people who do not have to worry about money. If you have the dough to keep you grounded for this university, then go for it. It is not so much the university as much as the town around the university. I personally enjoyed the academics of SHSU, it was just outside the college where I had the most trouble

Alana

My overall opinion of Sam Houston State University is that it was absolutely perfect for me. I came from Small Town, USA and being able to adjust was a lot easier. The professors are super eager to help out in any way they can, as well as offer tutoring for those who need more help. There is an organization for everyone and no one is left out. If you enjoy smaller class sizes, friendly people, and an opportunity to grow into the person you want to be, Sam Houston is the place for you. Eat Em' Up Kats!

Hailee

I love the school and everything they stand for. The school and staff are always supportive and try to give you the best resources to complete the field of study you're trying to complete. Anywhere you go there is always help around the corner with a friendly staff waiting for questions to be answered.

Nancy

Sam Houston was not my first choice school so naturally I don't think it is great it's pretty average. I got automatic acceptance to sam and to SFA but decided on sam only because it's closer to home. What makes me dislike the school the most is financial aid, its october and I'm still trying to get it sorted out. I am currently paying for school with a family loan and its frustrating that financial aid always comes up with an extra step before they can fix my problem.

Yasmine

It's a pretty great school, nice campus, friendly people, and nice little restaurants. I just wish there was more diversity within the campus, and smaller class sizes for the classes everyone needs to take. Also they should do better with the amount of professors that teach certain classes.

Stephen

I love this campus. The people and the academics are great. It is also very beautiful. The only downside is that it is a little sketchy sometimes. The clubs that you can join are amazing. They are many opportunities to make life time friends at this school.

Shelby

I am not only a current student, but a third generation student at Sam Houston State University, but I am the first in my family to go to college directly out of high school. When I was a child, I would visit the campus with my mother and I even sat in on a few lectures. This being said, the professors are very child-friendly and make any accommodations necessary for single mothers.

Sam Houston State University treats you like you are at home and like family. Everyone is nice on campus and is willing to help anyone out. In addition, the environment is nice and plenty of people are involved at Sam Houston State University.

Noelle

Sam Houston State University is a great school for people who like small schools. Our football team is undefeated and the games are fun. The library is amazing and is always packed during finals. The criminal justice center is really cool and had the best food on campus. I would definitely recommend Sam Houston State University to anyone.

After looking into other schools and participating in other schools activities I have found that SHSU is the place to be. It is very student oriented and is overall a great place to receive a higher education. The class sizes are not big. You will defiantly get the education you paid for.

Katelynn

Many people think that since Huntsville is a small town it has nothing to offer. However, that opinion is actually not true. I have grown to fall in love with this campus. Many things will capture your heart and make you fall in love with the campus as well. From the student activity events to the football games, Sam Houston is very enjoyable. On campus housing has resident advisors that will make your transition to the school very easily. They will plan events and try to get students involved. Professors are very caring and understanding. If you do not understand an assignment, they will work with you to help. Professors will try to set up office hours with you to help. The food on campus is very good and we have a lot of variety. We have two cafes and we have a food court. There is also food such as Chick fil A and Moe’s. We have discounts on certain days for Starbucks as well. Many students can meet up in the library to complete their work. The facility has many locations to have study groups or to hang out. Sam Houston also has a peaceful atmosphere. If you are walking late at night, you can call campus police and they will walk with you to your next location. The police are also very active on campus and they are on campus a lot throughout the school day. Many students are involved with Greek life on campus. Student activities has many opportunities they plan on campus. For example, we may watch movies in the LSC and they have breakfast for all the staff and students throughout the semester. Our campus also involves with holidays such as Earth day or Valentine’s Day. For example, for Earth day students gave away free flowers. After Valentine’s Day, groups gave away candy and inspirational cards to students. I have grown to enjoy this campus and the things that they have to offer. Sam Houston has a small town sense but there are many ways to get involved.

Sarah Jo

Sam Houston State University is an exquisite school because our class sizes are decently small, the professors are engaged and want you to succeed, the students and faculty are so helpful and kind. The town of Huntsville is small and cozy but not suffocating and there is plenty to do if you can keep an open mind.

Kaneron

I like attending Sam Houston. I find myself really having to surround my self with good people in order to get what I need done and not get side tracked, because there is always something to do there. There are a few things that happen at Sam Houston that make people be on edge but every college has those days. Overall I really like being a part of the Sam Houston family.

Madison

Sam Houston State University is a beautiful campus with many opportunities for everyone! There are many sports teams (including quidditch), clubs, organizations, and more for anyone to choose from. This makes it easy to find one's place at Sam Houston State University.

Christopher

My name is Christopher Brown. I am a Jr at Mansfield Timberview High School. I have heard a lot of good things about Sam Houston through friends and family. My rating is only a three because I have yet to experience the college. In my opinion, Sam Houston would be the perfect college for my major. I think this college would allow so many opportunities for me to pursue my goals in the medical field.

NATALIA

If you want a small time feeling this is the place. We're pretty big on sports, especially football. With the campus being built on a hill you'll stay in pretty good shape. Being involved is key. Great opportunities to get involved on campus and meet new people. Most people's weekends start on Thursday; so there are night scenes for the party people. Education is pretty good for the most part; there's always room for improvement.

Ivana

It's a great place to go to school and very easy to make new friends. It's a great place for a new start. The teachers really do care about you and are almost always available to help. I made a family here away from home and I'm sure anyone else will be able to as well.

Cailee

Sam Houston is an overall laid back academic environment. There are lots of places on campus to study and meet with friends and there is an ample amount of resources available to all students. The campus is incorporated into the surrounding community, making Sam feel like a real home away from home. The professors are excellent and actively engage their students in conversation. Professors work with the students and offer assistance outside of the classroom which is especially helpful to those with a busy class/work schedule.

Dajae

It was my first choice in schools and I felt I made the right choice I feel at home and I can’t wait to go back for the fall semester of 2018. All the professors I had so far I only had one that was not so great but overall the professors are their for you if you apply effort. Theirs loads of activities and I love SHSU.

Quincy

I think Sam Houston State University is an amazing campus, but I also feel like it has much needed growth. While staff members and professors are always willing to help, there is a lack of communication. In terms of sexual education, I feel as if this should be a required class for all incoming freshmen. SHSU has a very nasty statistic growing and it involves the various of sexual encounters that students have. It is almost heartbreaking being a student and hearing this first hand. I enjoy going to school here and have made many long lasting friendships, but too often do I see good people ruined by drugs and alcohol. I have a good understanding that the school is not completely responsible for the actions of students, but it is the fact that there are strangers, that do not even go to school here, that are the ones offering for students to participate. It almost seems like some creepy system of strangers coming onto campus and scooping out students. It's manipulative, disgusting, and wrong.

Sabrina

I was very excited to come here because all of my family came here. I am very disappointed and enjoyed a junior college much more than this university. Firstly the professors do not care and they literally are the worst at teaching. Trying to ask them any questions in class and they seem offended and tell you to schedule with them after class. Only to not respond to emails they requested you to send them. Everyone here looks like they want to die and I am regretting my choice in a university.

Kelsey

I love Sam Houston there are so many great people and many great proffesors. You feel like you belong and it quickly become a second home. You rarely will see anyone eating alone and there are so many people willing to help. The rec is amazing and we are very school spirited.

Diana

Overall, I believe Sam Houston State University is a great place to attend. I truly believe this campus is special and makes you feel at home while being away from home. There is always a place where you can study and socialize. Sam Houston State University is the school to attend.

TAJHMAN

Its a great learning experience you get to meet new people and create bonds along with studying things your actually interested in. You have the freedom to do what you want in your own boundaries. There's never a dull moment if you get active with the organizations , gatherings and variety of groups on campus.

Austin

This is my first semester on campus so far, and I can say i very much like the campus since I moved in here. There are plenty of things to do, many clubs to join, and so many free events to attend. As of Fall 2018, there is construction around the main plaza which can be a nuisance at times, but I understand everything takes time to be perfect. I feel safe when i walk to my early morning classes and all of my professors are extremely social and easy to contact. I love this school but I would recommend them to have more options when it comes to shopping stores, as i feel like there needs more areas to shop besides the bookstore.

Summer

Sam Houston State University is an amazing school out in the wilderness of Texas. Some say that the downsides are it's so far away from the main city (Houston), its a lot of hills to walk, and parking is difficult. But! It's a beautiful campus, full of lush wildlife right next to a national forest. I love how diverse the school is. Businesses tailor to college students and the cost of living is reasonable. Most of the professors have doctorates degrees, lectures are fun and interactive, and the classrooms are decent sized. Overall its a good campus, with wonderful programs from criminal justice to teaching.

My overall opinion of Sam Houston State University is above average. I believe the teachers need to be taught more to work with students, many of them hand you things last minute or don’t go into depth with the topic of class. They just read off pieces of paper. Definitely need new professors into the campus.

Oluwayemi

My opinion on Sam Houston State University is , it’s a small town but it’s full of loving people . I came there to get an education , I was so new to everything. Everyone you meet always had a smile on their faces . In any college you always have to be consistent with your work to be successful. The teachers tried their best to make sure students understood what’s going on in the class , they was always there when you needs them. When you make mistakes they give you a second chance depending on how dedicated your are . But unfortunately I wasn’t able to finish my freshmen because my family was paying out of school and everything was hard but my goal is to go back and finish . Made a goal to apply for as many scholarships as possible to have the money to go back and finish what i started. Other then that I love the school and I would love to go back if I had the chance to.

Rashad

From visiting Bearkat Nation (Sam Houston State University), I know the college is determine to make sure there are places for students to have fun, learn outside of class, enjoy wonderful upscale dining, and having an huge impact on helping every student achieve their 4 year college experience. As a visitor who is soon to be part of the Bearkat Nation I know Sam Houston State University is a great college to attend.

Sam Houston State University is a great college for criminal justice majors and forensic science majors. The campus is quiet and safe. There is not much to do in the town, but Huntsville is not too far from the Woodlands or Houston. The class sizes are relatively small, and the professors are usually friendly and very helpful.

Brianna

Sam Houston State University is a great campus to attend. The faculty I have encountered here my first year are all extremely passionate about what they are teaching. There are many activities planned to attend and make friends. The students are for the most part very welcoming to everyone and friendly. If you put in even a small amount of effort to meet new people, you will and there's a beautiful campus to explore with them.

Lexus

My overall opinion of Sam Houston State University is extraordinary. Sam Houston has so many extracurricular activities, clubs/organizations, and the school spirit is very strong. The whole environment of the school is very welcoming and there are many students and staff there that encourage you and help with your struggles and adjustments. The college has many helpful resources for the students too, such as a medical center, financial aid assistance, tutoring groups, etc. Sam Houston is an amazing school in my opinion.