Samford University Top Questions

I would stress three principals to myself. The first is to simply your life. There is so much clutter (things and people). Cutting out the negative is the first thing to go. And, then cut out all the material stuff. It just doesn't matter. People do. Focus is hard for any student, but it all comes down to that. Get a planner and write all your assignments, tasks, appointments, practices, job shifts, and get organized. Then, and this is the most important - keep your head down and take care of business. Try not to get overwhelmed and just plow through the work. Remember - head down and work. And, lastly, it is important to know that you will fail. Big time. It's okay. However, it's what you learn from those mistakes that is the point. Don't give up on yourself just because you failed. It's so easy to roll up in a little ball and have a pity party. Instead, you have to rely on yourself to pick yourself up and try again. And, please be nice to yourself. Treat yourself as you would your best friend.

Looking back, the primary advice I would give myself would be, “Don’t wait.” College offers so many new and exciting opportunities. While the array of choices may be overwhelming at first, don’t let this stop you from jumping in and trying new things. College is a great time to find out what you are passionate about; by trying a lot of new things, it allows you to refine your focus and become deeply invested in a cause about which you are passionate. Getting involved your first year will also provide you with more opportunities for growth and leadership throughout your college career, which will continue to benefit you after college. New offerings and activities expand your horizons and make it easier to build relationships. Though academics are the primary reason for being at college, the relationships you build along the way will enhance your overall experience and will challenge you to grow in unimaginable ways. So, don’t wait to get involved and embrace the diversity of the new opportunities and people surrounding you.

Dear Lindsey, As you prepare for college, I want to remind you to always remember what you are passionate about. Don't be afraid of overcommitment, but maybe try to make a list of what you want to try and what you know you enjoy. Experiencing involvement on and off campus gives you the invaluable opportunity to learn about yourself and what you really care about. Once you establish your passions, make sure to jump on that train immediately and enjoy your adventure. Don't worry about money, because it can be a distraction. Don't let the world and the values of others dictate what you think and care about--continue to be yourself and regret nothing. Keep your friends as long as possible and don't judge before you really know them, because these really are the people you'll be spending the rest of your life with, and that is the greatest feeling you can have in college. Be light and frolicsome, be brave and headstrong, be loving and understanding. Keep your eyes on the end result, but keep your feet on the ground below you--remember that the ground is not always flat. Yours truly, Lindsey

John David

Be Courageous! Whether in the classroom, dating, or SGA, don't limit yourself to who you were in high school. Don't allow your fears and anxieties from high school to dictate or drive decisions you make. Explore new interests, try things you think you're no good at or were once afraid to try, and make mistakes!!! People will respect you for the bold and sincere way in which you approach life. The more you challenge yourself in the classroom and activities outside the class, the more you will discover about yourself and your wold.

Alura

To my high school senior self: "Alura, as I reflect on all that I have learned and remembering the process of being a recent high school graduate to a college freshman, continue with what you are doing. If you do this, you can remain true and wholesome to yourself. Looking around and hearing stories as incoming sophomore from multiple friends, each them being surprisingly alike, I realize all of my friends have lost apart of their character. Stay strong in your work ethics because that Astronomy you take in the spring semester will be a tough one. Be confident and proud of who you are. It's what makes each of us interesting. But, most importantly, stay anchored to your beliefs and do not sacrifice your ideals. In the long run, many peers and friends will end up respecting you for who you are and for not wavering to 'fit in' to be one with the popular crowd. One last piece of advice to you, call home every week and keep in touch with your family. They will miss you dearly."

Logan

The best advice that I could possibly give myself or anyone that is in high school is to try and get a job before you graduate. I think that the aspect of my life in college that has been the biggest struggle is managing money, and time between school and work. Another piece to add to that would be to try and find something that you don’t absolutely hate before you graduate too, it is much harder to find a job when you get out of high school with no experience. Even if it is a place that you do end up hating or can’t make it work with your homework at nights, at least try. That way when you graduate you’ll at least know what places already are not going to work out instead of later. Another piece of advice that I would give to others (not myself and you’ll know why) would be to have a plan for your living situation after high school, even if it means asking your parents what type of money they want/need after you graduate. For me it was a big deal with child support ending after school.

Audrey

Don't be afraid to plunge into spontaneity and to take the initiative of involvement, both in class and around campus. That is how meaningful relationships are formed. You will have a lot more freedom, and use it wisely, but don't be afraid to have fun and to embrace your broadened horizons. Go ahead and take off with your friends to get a milkshake at odd hours of the night. Go explore the city around your new school on the weekends. Later, each laughter-filled moment will be worth it a thousand times over. If you take the initiative to get involved, you will have more than enough community. Speaking up in a class discussion and having serious conversations with your professors is a huge step towards academic success and personal growth. Becoming a member of student groups will allow for more of those moments of spontaneous fun. It can be difficult to strike the balance between academic and social commitments, but refuse to listen to those who say it can't be done. It can be done, and with style!

If I could go back in time and visit myself as a high school senior, it would be on the day of my audition into the School of the Arts for Samford University. After appearing in a shimmering mist and allowing myself to get over the initial shock of seeing my future self, I would animatedly explain that I should go into college with much enthusiasm and no fear! Fear kept me from even attempting many things in my freshman year of college, but I would make sure that my visit to the past would remedy that mistake. I would explain to myself all of the wonderful experiences that I gained in my education and performances when I finally took the chance. I would reassure my crying, unbelieving past self of the good things that came from putting my fear behind me. Then I would pray with myself, and encourage myself to keep doing so because there can be no faith where there is fear. With those parting words I would vanish once again into the shimmering mist and return to an even better future.

Will

If I could go back in time and give my senior high school self some advice, I would definately have a few pointers. First off, I would inform myself to lay off recreational games such as video games and going out and partying all the time. A's are easy in high school, B's are super hard to get in college and you really need to shape up and begin good study habits and time management for college or else you find yourself being snow balled really quick and unable to have any time for yourself. Also, college is just as socially akward for everyone else as it is for you, never think you will be the socially akward one at college, everyone there is as well. The best thing you can do is watch your time and try to explore and meet new people, even tie in some school work into it and ask them to do a study group with you. College is supposed to be hard and challenge you to think harder and deeper than high school. Overall, just make sure you can breathe every now and then and try to have fun!

I'm learning to become a better student and a better person with what I've learned in just one semester. As a student, I've already learned so much. My writing has improved by leaps and bounds and my analytical thinking skills have as well. My professors care so much about their students; they are not only fantastic teachers who want their students to learn a lot, but also get to know us as people. As a person, I'm becoming more responsible, which is such a great feeling! Even just paying for my books and any groceries I need--which I didn't have to do before--is somewhat fun because I know it's part of growing up.

Through my education at Samford, I have become a more well rounded individual. After just one semester I feel more independent and intelligent. I feel as if Samford has prepared me for the real world and has pointed me in the right direction in order to achieve my goals in life. For example, coming into Samford I was unsure about my major. Thankfully, Samford offers counselors who asses your talents and council you in choosing a major. Through these services I realized that I have a real passion for literature, poetry, and for teaching. The teachers really encourage their students to learn the material and apply it to their lives. With their help I feel more educated than ever before. I joined a sorority and I have learned the true bonds of sisterhood. The girls in my sorority are my support system and they encourage me to do my best in school. They hold me accountable for my actions and encourage me to be a better person. Academically and socially, Samford University has prepared me for the real world and I would never think to attend another institution.

I feel that I was given the best opportunities to grow and develop as a person and as a Christian. Not only were the professors invaluable in guiding me in a Biblical fashion, but I feel that the student body as a whole was instrumental in helping me become who I am today. What we learn from each other can be some of the best lessons for which we can ever ask. It is through experiences with others that we learn what we are made of. My college friendships taught life lessons life-long lessons that I carry with me today as I continue to develop new friendships. In addition, the opportunities for campus involvements in a sorority life, clubs, and speaking engagements helped to shape my interests, which gave me direction and a platform to build upon for the rest of my life. It is from my campus involvements that I learned I wanted to reach out to those less fortunate and advocate for them. Therefore, I am indebted to Samford for the way in which it molded and shaped me to care for others and to seek a profession in Social Work that allows me to do this.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior there are many things that I would advise myself of. First of all I would say to not be afraid of taking chances. College is full of many new fun and exciting experiences, so begin each day with an open mind, ready for a new adventure. Also, I would tell myself to get out of my comfort zone and experience life. I am only promised today, there might not be a tomorrow, so live today to its fullest. Last and most importantly I would tell myself that there are many things in life which are unknown and that?s ok. I don?t have to have all of the answers right now. Take life one day at a time, walking by faith and trusting in the Lord to lead each step of the way. Don?t trust in my own strength and opinions but, to trust in the Lord?s. People and circumstances will change but God will always remain the same.

The main point I would want to emphasize to myself as a high school senior is that you are not your circumstances. In high school I knew who my friends were and my position in the food web. I was comfortable in my security. As an entering college freshman, I was filled with anxiety towards the future. I dreaded the thought of starting over and having to rebuild my reputation. What if I could not rebuild? I soon discovered that I was who I was in high school because of who I am as a person, not the place I went to school. I wish I would have had this confidence during the transition so that I would have participated in more activities and spent more time getting to know people. Self confidence really does make a difference in transitioning into college life.

Be fearless - that's what I would tell myself if I could go back and talk to my high school senior self. Take chances and put yourself out there. Going for it is the only way to find out who you are. Sometimes you succeed and other times you fail but that is how you learn and grow. It is by taking opportunities that are offered to us that we learn who we truly are and what we want out of life.

I would tell myself to relax, and don't panic. What everyone said is true: you don't have to know your major, or what you "want to be when you grow up." Believe me, you will change your mind. A lot. Trust yourself, and listen to the advice that you're given, especially from those you know have made good decisions in their own life. Getting lost on campus isn't that bad, and you'll find your way around eventually. It is frightening to be in a new place without your friends from high school, but meeting new people is half the fun. Forget all of those horror stories you heard back in high school, not all college professors are evil. Some, maybe, but not all. Don't be afraid to go to them for help, because you will need it. I know college is a scary idea, but I also know you can handle everything that comes with it.

If you aim at nothing then that it what you will hit. Spend more time researching what you want to do with your life. Do this by taking career tests, shadowing professionals in your areas of interest, volunteering and researching careers on the internet. It saves time in picking the right school that actually offers your major and interests. It allows you to search for scholarships in the field you have chosen. Spend you summer between high school and college getting experience in an area you might enjoy for the future. Finding out if you actually enjoy working with children, can be an invalueable piece of information if you are plan to work in that area. So most of all talk to others and network to find out helpful information that may lead you to future opportunities and job possibilities.

Senior year of high school is not to be taken lightly. It is the first year of many where your decisions do not just determine the direction of your grades, but the direction of your life. If I had the chance to give my former self advice about the shift into college, I would say that it is most important to decide who you want to be before you decide what you want to do. The easy route for high school seniors who are serious about their future would be to choose the most accredited school that they get into. No doubt the school would have its benefits. In order to make the most of any college transition or undergraduate education, the best thing to do is to honestly think about what kind of person you want to be. Depending on where those thoughts lead you, commit to a school that will best provide the environment you need to become that person. Once accepted by a school, realize that even if the college transition is difficult, you still have control over what kind of person you choose to be despite the unfamiliar circumstances.

If i went back in time and was able to talk to my senior self, i would tell myself to pace myself better. My first semester at college was very fast paced and I wan't used to moving that fast in my coursework. I would also tell myself to not stress out about things because I stayed stressed out from everything from studying to how well i was doing in my classes. I would also tell myself to apply for more scholarships because it's a lot more expensive than I thought it would be. I would also tell myself to pick better class schedules because that was a mistake I made. I scheduled my classes so close together that I didn't realize they were so far apart and I only had ten minutes to get across campus. College is nothing like high school, it requires time,patience and a lot of hard work.

Last Spring, I had applied to several universities and was offered scholarships from each of them. Making a life-changing decision at the age of eighteen was very daunting. I did not feel mature enough to properly decide. As I looked to my parents for guidance, all they offered me was support in whatever decision I made. I was looking for confirmation from adults who were just as oblivious about my future as I was. What I did not realize was that the only one who could assure me of my decision was the God who had my whole life planned out. As I relied on the Truth of God and who He says He is, I took a leap of faith and chose Samford University, the school I felt honored Him the most. If I were allowed to talk to myself as a high school senior from the current point in my life, I would reassure myself of the faith I have in my Heavenly Father, reminding myself of His promise to guide me and watch over me, to make me wise and show me where to go (Ps. 32:8).

Many high school seniors eagerly await college for its supposed constant parties, frequent movie nights, and lack of adult supervision. As Principal Slater put it, college is like adulthood without responsibilites. Although Samford does indeed provide an abudant supply of unique activites for students, it's up to you to make college worthwhile. While there can be hundreds of events happening on campus during the week, you must choose which ones to attend. Sure you can sit in your dorm or the library and study all day, but picking up new hobbies is a fantastic use of time and almost always leads to new friendships. Limiting yourself to two or three close friends can wear you down; broaden your horizons and meet new people, because your best friend may be out there, you just haven't met him yet. You will also reap a better chance of having someone with whom to sit in the cafeteria. If you constantly daydream about friends back home, you miss out on the fun happening on campus and could grow to dislike your college simply because you refused to invest your whole self in it.

If I could go back in time, I would warn myself to stay the course that I had established for myself in high school. I let the upheaval of the transition effect my overall academic performance, and made, for me, a very low GPA of 2.9 first semester. I ended up losing most of my scholarships which put me in my current dire financial situation. I am responsible for paying for my education, and I drastically underestimated this responsibility. Given the chance, I would go back and have a stern conversation with myself about responsibility, and the need to for enough self-awareness to know when I was doing poorly, and the maturity it takes to begin living on your own. I would warn myself that just because I THOUGHT I was prepared was no reason to assume that I could handle anything. And I would tell myself what happened when I WAS irresponsible, and did not take my academic duties seriously, and the unfortunate circumstances it put me in.

Karyn

I would advise a high school senior to attend the school where they feel most comfortable and natural. Although scholarships and friends should be considered when making a college choice, it is important to choose the college where one feels most comfortable. Also, regardless of whichever school the senior chooses, it is important to become involved from their very first day. Nothing contributes to a college experience like the amount of involvement the student gets.

What I needed to know as a senior was to have better study habits and be more outgoing in my social life.

I believe that finding the right college can be difficult, but it's mostly about choosing something and committing to it whole-heartedly. Had I gone to school and stayed within my comfort zone, I would not have felt connected, and it would have been a much harder experience. There are so many good schools available to us, all with flaws and successes, and I believe if a student is willing to commit fully to his or her school, they will find that it is the right school for them. My best advice for making the most out of the college experience is to get out of one's comfort zone. Some of the best friends I had in college came from organizations that I joined without my high school friends, and although it can be challenging, it gave me such confidence - not to mention the relationships I would not have had. The best and most effective way to grow is to place one's self in situations that are hard, but also rewarding. Because I got out of my comfort zone, I had experiences and formed relationships that greatly impacted my life.

Just be yourself and choose a college you know you can succeed at. College is about enjoying yourself and making lifelong friendships, but it also has to be a place where you won't get swallowed in with all the fun. It has to be an environment where you can balance the two: having a great time and study to maintain a good GPA (it is hard to bring up if you fail a class!). Have more than one choice of colleges and make sure you know if you want to be in state close to the parents or out of state. Just make sure if you choose to go out of state you don't get caught up in the freedom of not having your parents around, that's an easy way for grades to slip under your nose.

Since I started college six years after I graduated high school, I have realized that no matter how old you are, it is never too late to go back to school. Students should cherish the opportunities and learning experiences they may come across during their college years. I recommend finding a college you believe will provide the support and environment you need to get the most out of your academic career.

Picking a college is one of the most important decisions your child will ever make in their life. They will remember it forever. I don't remember what I had for dinner 2 weeks ago, but I will always remember where and how I chose my college. The key to finding the right college is research. Have your child look up what interests them and then have them talk to counselors and/or students already in college who might have guidance that they obtained through their college hunting. It can't hurt. Once your child narrows down a few places, GO to them. A website about the college is one thing, but visiting and taking a tour is a whole different ball game. Finally, after your child enrolls, give them their space and they will thank you for it later. Tell them that college really is like what they hear: the best 4 years of their life. The best college experience is what they make of it. Get involved, but not over-involved, they have 4 years. And if they're nervous about making friends, remind them that there are hundreds of other incoming freshmen in the same boat.

Don't just go where your friends go. You want to find a population of people that share your same values, interests and a campus community that allows you to be who you are and to grow as a young adult. This is your time to become an independent individual and you want to be in a place that fosters you to be independent, and to get to know you classmates, and to get involved on campus and make the most of your college years.

Visit the campus ahead of time, talk to students and faculty/professors who are there (& not the ones the admissions office WANTS you to talk to; just pick someone random). Know how you're going to pay for everything before you sign anything. Have transportation so you don't have to depend on others!

Finding the right college depends on what you want to major in, where you want to live for four years and whether or not the campus feel is right for you. I wouldn?t let money be an issue because there are student loans and financial aid available. It simply depends on the sacrifices you are willing to make. Community is very important, so I would say that you need to be sure that you think you can connect to the people at the school of your choice. When you go off to college, you are suddenly in a place where no one knows you for your academic abilities, athletic abilities or your family name. You suddenly have the chance to decide what will define you. There will be a plethora of activities available, but if you want a truly satisfying college experience choose a few and invest all of your efforts into them. Remember that you are at school to learn and get an education. You are paying for the education so doing waste your time or money. Do not stress out about the assignments you will have, but organize your schedule and tackle one day at a time.

Meg

Look at a variety of campuses, both large, small, and in between. Support your children's decisions and preferneces. Money can get tight, but being happy and successful is more important. Back your kids every chance you get. Allow them to live their dreams, and try avoiding pushing your dreams on them...

Ashleigh

When looking for the right college, always have an open mind with each university you visit. They each will bring different things to the forefront. Have in mind things that are important to you and your family while furthering your education. For example, class size, location, and degrees offered. Also, it would be important to find out what the students do when they are not in the classroom setting. What do people do for fun? Do you want to be in a large city? How close do you want to be to home? Lastly, looking at the cost is what most parents have on their minds. While visiting, set up an appointment with a financial aid counselor. They will more than likely ease your mind.

My advice would be to look at all colleges, big and small, and do research to find new colleges. Don't let finances get in your way; there are ways to get money to pay for college. Get out of your comfort zone; this may be hard, but in the end you'll know much more about yourself to make better decisions for your future. Get involved in something! And make sure to get to know your professors on a better level because this will help you in getting recommendations for jobs or post-graduate school.

Raven

My first piece of advice would be to choose the school that you have the most interest in, not matter what the cost. In the end, even if you have loans, it will be worth it. Do not trade your education for saving money. Once you do arrive at college, get involved. Join clubs, SGA, band, any and every extra curricular you can. Also, take time to have fun and relax, while also spending enough time studying to stay where you would like to be to graduate with a decent GPA. If you want to attend graduate school one day you will regret it if you do not keep your GPA to an acceptable number. Also, tour the colleges you are thinking about attending. You will learn a lot about the school just by talking to some of the students and professors there. I would highly reccomend speaking to the professors in the department you are considering majoring in. That will help you decide if you think you will enjoy the classes that you will take while in attendence. But most of all, don't forget to enjoy the best four years of you life!

Make sure you pick a major you will enjoy! When you have a major you love, you will love your classes. Don't take the opporunity to be educated for granted. Too many people in this world can't afford an education. Don't just go to college to make money. Find out for yourself why being an educated person is important. At school, take the risk to succeed! You never know what you will love, or find out about yourseld. Try new things!

It is so important that you find community at your school. Get involved and really find out who you are, and be true to yourself. Don't be friends with people just because you think they are fun to be around, but be friends with people who love you for you and always have your best interest in mind. Focus hard on your school work, but don't let that be the only think you do. Have fun with your friends and enjoy being away from home. Become more independent and learn how to live on your own. Really learn and see what the campus has to offer you. College is not only about your studies but also your experience. Make friends that you will keep for the rest of your life and reach out to those who don't know how to make friends that easily. Give back to your community and be respectful of your teachers, they are the ones who give you your grades, and they work hard for you to do well. Work hard, and don't let your grades slip up, because your life continues even when college ends.

Apply to every school that appeals to you. Keep an open mind, because you never know where you will be accepted or where you will end up. Your top choice is not always the best fit for you. There is only a limited amount of information a high school senior can pick up about a school from a preview day, so pay attention, but keep a VERY open mind. Parents, trust your child to choose his or her own school. Don't be a hover parent and force your kid to go where you want them to go or major in what you think is best for them. Let them choose on their own. You can trust them to make a good decision more than you might think.

Marchele

stick with your first instinct. Never follow anyone to college (not friends or especially significant others). Do what feel right for you. If you have any hesitations or doubts about a school then heed them. Pray about your choice and ask others to pray for you as you make this huge choice. Seek respected friends' and family members' opinions.

College really has very little to do with what we gain in the classroom or lecture hall. Yes, the academics are vitally important to learning the information you will need for the fututre, the real lessons learned in college are learned outside the classroom. In my experience, I have learned many life lessons while in college, but most of them were learned in social situations or a the result of my individual choices in life or school. All of these lessons are learned outside of the textbooks and the exams. I have found that I have discovered who I am in college and it has little to do with my courseload and everything to do with my friends, choices, and experiences that I have faced while at Samford. The choices we make shape who we are and who we become, and if we sit and expect our professors and textbooks to teach us what we need to do, we would graduate without every having learned anything practical to life. At the end of the day, we need college to teach us valuable life lessons, just not the ones we sometimes think college is supposed to teach us.

Zach

Take time to look around. Visit all the schools and then make your decision. Don't rush into any place.

Mallory

Search around.

Audra

Find ten people who go to the college, currently, and ask them all of the questions from this survey. That should give any parent/student an excellent idea of what a college is REALLY like.

There are a multitude of factros to consider when researching college options. The thing to remember is that you need to find the place that's right for YOU - not the place your parents want to send you or the school all of your friends are applying to. In fact, it may be more beneficial to aim for a school outside the normal spectrum of choices for your area. In this way, you'll be able to branch out, explore your individuality, and make friends outside of the ones you've known for years. Sometimes, sticking with things that are familiar can cripple students, so that they never reach their full potential, personally or academically. This principle will carry you throughout college, as well. It applies to trying new activites, studying new subjects... anything outside your normal range of experience. So even though it can be scary, the best advice I can offer is to be open-minded: Don't settle for what everyone else is doing. Look into new things. You might just find the perfect fit.

Carole

The most important factor in selecting a college is the fit between the student and the institution. The only way to find out if you will enjoy living at the school is to visit it and to really explore the campus while you are there. Ask students questions, read the campus newspaper and message boards, visit a class and talk to the professor, hang out in common areas, do anything that will give you a clue as to what "normal" students do and if you want to be a part of that. Once you get to college, don't be afraid to try new things. Try everything, but find a few things to really pour yourself into and to which you will be excited to dedicate your time and effort. College is undoubtedly a shaping experience, but you get to choose how it shapes you and in what direction you grow.

Haejee

Finding the right college is a very important decision because most likely, that is where you will be spending the next four years of your life and mold into an adult of today's society. It's a tough decision but once you find the place where you feel right at home everything else will follow. There are several things you can do to make sure you have found the right place. First of all, I would definitely visit the campus. Looking at pictures and reading about it just simply is not enough anymore. Take a campus wide tour, sit in some classes, and walk around common areas such as the cafeteria and the library where you will probably be spending alot of your time. Secondly, I think it is very important to talk with students that already attend that university and ask them questions. I would especially try to talk to students in the same field you want to be a part of once you are there since every department is unique. With first hand experience and conversations with current students, I'm confident that you will be on the right path in choosing the right school for you!

My best advice would be to honestly do your research. Find out what is most important to you, whether it be off-campus life, social activites, sports, specific classes or learning styles, and small or big classes. Truly discover what suits you or your child and can also fit within your budget. The best way to get the most out of your college life is to really know what you are in for and what you can get involved in, as well as how best to succeed.

Choose the school where you think you will be happiest, no matter what. Then pick the major that will both interest and challenge you, regardless of what you think you plans are for after college; they will change. Once you have your bachelor's degree, you can do anything; the options are limitless.

I think that the most important aspect of a school is the academic reputation. Students should make sure that the school has a good, strong reputation because the main reason students go to college should be to get a degree in order to get a good job in the future. An important consideration for choosing the right school is the distance from home. Being too close to home is not good because it allows the student to go home too often and does not force them to get involved and be independent. Getting a degree and getting involved on campus are essential to making the most of a college experience.

Mallory

Take a road trip and visit any college you are even the least bit interested in. While there, ask current students any questions you may have. As for making the most of your college experience, there is one word that comes to mind: involvement. Find an organization that matches your hobbies or personality. You can branch out and learn something new. There is something for everyone! If your college does not have something you are intersted in, start up a new organization or club. As Mark Twain says, "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." It is far too easy to just pass through college on cruise control. Get involved, be heard, and make a difference in your community and in the world.