Samford University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Samford University

Ashton

I have enjoyed my time at Samford. The classes are small, which makes it easy to have a personal relationship with your professors. The classes are also extremely challenging, which makes it a lot different from a state school experience. You cannot expect any classes to be an easy A. Faith is definitely a huge aspect in basically everything you do, which is very nice. However, if you do not fit into a certain stereotype it can be hard to adjust here. I am not involved in Greek life, I did not attend a private school, and my family is not particularly wealthy, so it is kind of hard to "fit in" because you can tell a lot of people are materialistic and look down on you if you aren't like them. It is sad but true. However, I have been able to make some great friends here too. There is also a lack of diversity on campus, which is another sad fact about Samford...

Amy

Overall, Samford is a very good school. However, there is not enough diversity on campus. Not only racially, but also religiously and politically. Also, being LGBT here isn't terrible, but there are not many people who are out for obvious reasons. My biggest peeve with the school though was how there was how so many on campus seemed fake. Also, if you weren't part of the norm (you drank, are an atheist, etc) you know that you were silently judged by the student body.

Matthew

I really enjoyed my time at Samford. My professors and classmates pushed me to be the best I could be in every area of my life. While I am going through Graduate School elsewhere, I would not trade my experience at Samford for anything. Know it is a small school but a great one at that.

Sophia

Samford is an awesome place to learn, have fun, and is an all around college experience.

Mikayla

I wake up every morning knowing that Samford University is the place for me. I am surrounded by people who constantly encouraging me to better myself physically, mentally, and spiritually. The professors go above and beyond in and out of the classroom. They care about me as an individual and have repeatedly gone out of their way to make me aware of professional opportunities I might be interested.

Haddiyah

It's a great school. Anyone can come here and find their place, and their people. Although it is a private Christian university, people from all ethnic and religious backgrounds come and make Samford their home. This school isn't a place of conformity or judgement, it's really just a place where they want you to do your best, so you can achieve the best, while you learn your own way.

Anthony

It's a top University. It's expensive, but worth every dime. Campus is nice and extremely safe. It's not a huge campus but it's kind of big. There are shuttles to get from one side to the other. The professors are very accessible and usually understanding.

Peighton

Samford is an amazing school! It is the perfect size where I often see people walking around that I know but I don't feel like I know every person there. The professors are amazing and never fail to be of help and make time for you. Greek life is big but no one is shamed for not joining and the sense community I have felt there is unmatched. Our president, Andrew Westmoreland, really works hard to connect with all students and is so involved. This makes you feel like you really belong. On top of Samford being a great university, Birmingham makes it even better with its endless things to do and beautiful sights to see. I love it!

Haley

Overall, I adore Samford. The size of it creates for small classes, but it offers lots of same benefits of a larger school. There are always events happening on campus, from food trucks, to concerts, to comedians, there are always things to do. The location of Samford is ideal. Birmingham is a thriving city with lots of culture and there are also great hiking trails nearby campus. Academically, the school has impressive rankings. The professors are passionate about student success. All of my professors know me by my first name and say hello to me whenever I see them on campus. The community at Samford is unlike any other place. Samford feels like family. Samford is home.

Lorynn

I love Samford University! I believe you can have the best four years of your life here if you so choose to attend. The professors here are friendly and are there to help you whenever you need any. Samford is amazing and beautiful, and I couldn't be any happier.

There are so many good things I could say about this little school. Tucked neatly into a pleasant suburb of Birmingham, Alabama, Samford University is a great place if you are looking for a peaceful college career where some chances to go on adventures exist. The campus is old, and - in my opinion - very beautiful. Housing is tolerable, and one should not really complain about the food services, even if they do have bad days involving "tunoodle casserole." I love Samford, and I think any student looking to stay somewhere safe and VERY Southern Baptist, Samford is an excellent choice for them.

Laura

Samford University is a quality school with students from 48 states. The professors genuinely care about each student and actually know your name. This makes asking questions and getting extra help super easy. The campus buildings are beautiful and well kept. The food is lacking is variety and quality. Leadership positions around campus are hard to come by because each student strives to be the best. This makes it difficult to get involved on campus because each activity is very competitive. The students are friendly and outgoing. Any student you happen upon would be more than happy to walk you someplace on campus or have a conversation with you about how much they love Samford. However, there is a lack of diversity among the students. Race, religious background, and political views are very stereotypical of this region of the United States.

Molly

I love Samford University. The campus is absolutely beautiful and the class sizes are great. The small campus feels like home and makes it easy to have friends, but also can be a bit draining, as everyone is aware of everyone else's personal lives. The male to female ratio is 1 to 3, which is also a bit inconvenient at times. Overall, Samford is beautiful and safe and I would recommend it to everyone.

I think it's a great school if you're looking for that balance between academics and relationships with your professors and fellow students. It comes at a high cost, but if you know you need personal touch in your education then this is a great school.

Reagan

I truly believe that Samford University is one of the best private schools in the South, if not the United States. It offers a faith-driven education in which students can succeed academically while simultaneously growing spiritually. Students have many different ways to get involved on campus, with opportunities available for everyone. Located in the community of Homewood, students are immersed in a city with countless things to do, places to shop, and spots to eat. It is also a 10 minute drive to the thriving city of Birmingham, which allows Samford graduates with countless professional opportunities after they graduate.

Lucia

very good university ...most study hard in Nursing; courses are demanding and require interaction between profs and students. Clinicals are at excellent hospitals with very good staff. Birmingham is an excellent medical center for nursing jobs upon graduation

Holly

Samford University is a place where anyone can get involved. It is a small campus with big opportunities. There is some much offered there and so many extra activities for anyone. Samford is located in the heart of Birmingham, Alabama which makes a great place to have so much to do. The campus is beautiful and very put together. It is a place where I can't wait to call home in the next few months. The staff is very professional and always lending a helpful hand. I fell in love with Samford University the first time I went on campus and from then on I have been hooked.

Caroline

To say I like Samford is the understatement of the century. I can honestly say that I have found a home away from home at Samford. The responsibility that accompanies college life can seem daunting at times; however, I can confidently say that Samford provides an encouraging atmosphere in which I feel as though I am capable of reaching my upmost potential and achieving the goals I created for myself prior to setting foot on campus.

jane

LOVE Samford!!!!! DO NOT LOVE the cafeteria food and some of its employees. Sodexo does not do a great job.

I absolutely love this school! The freshman dorms are definitely older and pretty small, but it is manageable. Having a community bath is great because it saves time by not having to clean the bathroom. People are hired to do that, and they are the sweetest people! The food is usually pretty good, but it can sometime get repetitive with what is offered. I wish there were more healthy options offered. The classes and faculty are great! I would't trade going to this school for anything else.

Avery

The people at Samford are amazing. The school is unapologetically Christian, and people want you to succeed , including your professors. I have grown so much in deep conversations about struggles. The academics here are hard though, but your professors will support and encourage you.

Catherine

Campus is tucked away from the city... looks like a small Ivy. Students are very involved in extra-curricular activities. Apparently you have to try not to get involved...

Laura

It is a fabulous school! I don’t regret attending and am proud to be an alum The campus is gorgeous and well maintained. It’s gated and safe. The people are so friendly including students, staff and faculty. Birmingham is an awesome place to live. So much so that I stayed after graduating because I fell in love with the city! Samford has everything a bigger college offers without being big. It’s close knit, small and you find your niche as a student. I was well prepared and had opportunity for growth and advanced learning beyond college.

Halee

Samford is one of the most welcoming schools I have ever visited. Being from out of state, they make it feel like home and allow you to get involved as soon as you walk on campus. The staff and Professors are the most caring people who really do want you to succeed.

I absolutely love Samford University! I'm a freshmen this year, and you would not believe all of the crazy stories I have. We all get along so well! Even if there are a few people who I would rather not see, you do not see them all the time. Yes, this is a small school, but it's a community. Everyone is always smiling, and you can not go anywhere on campus without seeing at least one person that you know.

I really do enjoy my school. The academics are amazing and the teachers are really challenging. The one thing I really like is how it is a small school but has the atmosphere of a big school. For example we have sports and sororities. the campus is beautiful and the birmingham area is great for exploring and eating. I wanted to go to a small school but the ones I looked at were in a small area too with not much to do or did not have thing that Samford does. Class sizes average to about 20-30 max.

Hayden

Samford University is a school that a lot of people overlook. I had never even heard of it until my mother brought it up to me and made me apply. I visited for the first time on Christmas morning my senior year of high school and instantly felt a connection with it. I find that people either really love or really dislike Samford. I am an introvert at heart, don't enjoy big class sizes nor getting lost in a sea of campus students. Which is why I found Samford perfect for me. However if you are really into the "sports culture" or the "party scene" that a bigger state school will provide I wouldn't recommend attending. Samford is my home, i've made lifelong friends here and have had the privilege of making amazing memories in my three years thus far. I wouldn't trade that for anything. Even if that means dealing with sub-par cafeteria food and being put under the pressure of hard academic scales. Samford is a community, traditional and certainly isn't for everyone. However I found that this university was very much for me.