San Bernardino Valley College

« See more reviews of San Bernardino Valley College

Due to certain circumstances, I found myself in San Bernardino Valley College, but now that I know how college life is, I would have tried harder to overcome the circumstances in order to be better prepared for college life. I got away many times in high school by not reading the textbooks, but now I know it is absolutely essential to read the material beforehand for a comprehensive understanding in the class. In high school, I was very individualistic, accomplishing most, if not all, of my tasks on my own; in college, teamwork is crucial. Not to say I was antisocial in high school, just that the material was easier and I had no immediate need for study groups. In college, sometimes the material isn't clear, and within one's study group, other students can help clarify the material. Also, study groups provide support with classes. The most important thing, however, that I would also advise myself is to view the community college with an open mind. I did not like the community college status at first, and had a difficult time adjusting. Once I improved my perception, my college experience improved, as did everything else.

Nothing is going to determine your fate, quality of life for yourself and family, or instill in you the ability to withstand setbacks or injustice the way a quality, well-earned education can. It remains the lone possession, once acquired, which cannot be taken from you. Things seem far off and four years a long time, but tomorrow arrives whether you have bothered to prepare for it or not. In not preparing for the future, a conscious decision is being made: deciding to do nothing to ready yourself is still a decision. By placing your fortunes with the wind and hoping the wind is not cruel, unknown, unimaginable trouble is welcomed. No destination is guaranteed by an education, but the pitfalls, detours, and unseen obsticles which turn life in directions we would rather not venture, are fueled by a lack of education. Only through sustained and committed effort is life altered for the better. Fear of failure in school will pale by comparison to the fear of not being able to make it in the world, of not being able to find work, income or a place to live. Let yourself stretch and remain malliable of mind; grow.

Considering that I dropped out of high school, If I could go back in time, I would smash the beer in my younger self's hand and flick the cigarrette out of his mouth. I would grab him by the ear and tell him to grow up, and to be the man his absent father never taught him to be. Torn between wanting to punch him and hug him, I would suprisingly choose neither. Instead I would make fun of his torn skinny jeans, small striped shirt and dirty long hair. I would possibly even make a remark about his girlfriend. After a moment I would take him by the neck, the way a father might, and kiss him on the forehead. With a soft ache in my heart, I would tell him to let go of all the pain and anger. To forgive those who have hurt him. I would tell him that he is not a mistake, a bad kid or stupid. l'd wipe a warm tear from his deep and heavy eyes, holding it on the tip of my finger, and promise him not one is in vain. I'd tell him I believed in him.

Dear "Self," College is freedom, freedom to choose your path, and to open windows you never thought existed. With a degree comes respect, and options. You can see the world, you can rise from ignorance and you can make a difference in the world around you. Since you were a freshman in highschool you have wanted to be a nurse so that you can help others and travel the world. That is what you were meant to do, you are one of the few that always knew what they wanted. So I know that your sick of school and cannot wait for a break, but do not follow your friends for the next two years waisting time. I know it seems like a lot of work, and it is, but you were meant to do this and your going to be good at it. So get organized and buckle down, because you will regret it if you miss your chance. Have fun and don't stop you will soon realize that all that work pays off.

If i were to go back in time in order to prepare myself for the world that would be to come, i would prepare the senior me by telling him that even though everything does not turn out as planned, it will all come together and work out to your benefit in the end. The best thing that one can do, is to "Never, Never give up." Don't go insane if you decide that you have to change your major, instead, look at is as though another door has opened, and the previous one has simply closed. It does not mean the end of the world! Also i would make sure that i clarified, that keeping in touch with friends is very important, and you should make sure that they know that you are alive. Remember the words of Walt Disney - We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

I would advice myself as a high school senior that it is important to finish math courses with good grades, for this would avoid taking further math classes in college. I would have definitely have told myself in high school that communicating and having a good relationship with my school counselor would help to guide me to an easier pathway, therefore advising me of the indefinite scholarships and grants that where available to me. This would have given me an opportunity for a free ride to any college or university of my liking. If I would of had the knowledge as a senior in high school that I now acquire, I would have strived to go directly to college after graduating. Overall, as a high school senior I would have told myself that education should be my first priority because it is the key to a successful career in life.

Dear past Celina, this is your future self. I came to give you advice about college. While in college attend all dorm events so that you can meet more people. Talk to people in lecture halls so that you can have friends that can help you with assignments that you do not understand. When things get tough do not give up. Go to free tutoring that the school offers. Participate in more school events so that you can have an enjoyable college experience that you can one day tell your children. Come up with multiple study games that you can use to study for exams. Work hard and make a homework schedule so you do not forget to do assignments. Lastly, enoy yourself.

Alan, fight for what is right. Do not let anything hold you back or set you back. Make sure the counselors get you the classes you need. Get up to speed on the classes you need for your major while you are in high school so that you don't waste valuable time taking prerequisite classes for four semesters. You should become involved in as many groups and activities as possible without affecting your grades. Maintain a 4.0 GPA and if you need help achieving that, then get help. You can do whatever you set your mind to do. Examine society and go make your mark.

If I were to go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to not worry about what anyone else thinks, rely only on yourself, and don't get distracted. If things were more clear to me before I jumped into ITT one month after high school, I would not have struggled 11 years of hard labor just to come back to school to do what I should have all those years ago. I would tell myself to be more patient and not rush off to the first opportunity that knocks at the door. No, insted I would preach of patience until it sunk in.

Overall still to this day I belive I was a great sudent in high school, and I did eerything correctly grade wise, but if i could tell myself one thing it would be too look for more scholarships for more money, because it's hard not having a car to go to school, plus food, and expencess like a cell phone and a place to live etc. is really expencive. Another suggestion i would have givein myself is being good with money management, and only spend on needs, because that would have benefited me later on.