San Diego, CA
San Diego Mesa College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend San Diego Mesa College

Ryan

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior about college it would go something like this: "Ryan, listen to me. I know you come from a family that cannot afford to send you to college and you don't feel like you're ready for it anyways. That's okay. Go through with your decision to join the Marines. The experiences and friendships you will gain will be invaluable. You will discover who you are and grow into becoming a man. But when you get out of the Marines you need to have a plan. Follow your passion for fitness and go to school right away. Pursue a degree in kinesiology and become a strength and conditioning coach. Don't wait because if you do you will be 30 years old by the time you graduate and unhappy with where you are in life. Be ambitious, work hard, get straight A's like I know you are capable of doing and go after your goals with everything you've got. Success doesn't come to those who wait, it comes to those who go after it. So go after it!"

My classmates are friendly, outgoing, eager to learn, ethnically diverse and supportive.

I don't feel that there is any type of person that should not attend this school.

Sana

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to procrastinate and study more for the SATs. Procrastination is something that always gives you stress at the end time and is soemthing that can accompany you in your college years. Another thing I would tell myself is to take more advanced classes to challenge myself so that I will be ready for the college courses that I will have to take later on. The Last thing I would tell myself is to manage my time more efficiently and try to be more organized.

Anyone who wants a stepping stone before they enter a four year university and anyone who wants more one on one time with their professors and smaller class sizes.

So far, I have liked all my classmates. They are friendly, helpful, and kind. Some of them make some of the boring classes fun.

Ena

My classmates are truly multiracial in origin, each talented in their own way, and at different levels of interest/seriousness in their pursuit of a college degree.

College classes can be tough. The grades that you make that first semester will follow you all throughout your four years and onto graduate school. Do your best, but if you mess up, and you know that it is becuase you are not trying hard, or other commitments such as work/family prevent you from doing better, then step back, take only one class at a time if you need to, be the best that you can be in that class, and do not take a full load again until you are ready to be serious and give it your all in all your classes. At 18 you truly have your whole life ahead of you, it is ok to take your time and do it right the first time. You will learn more, develop your creative and thinking side more, but most important you will truly enjoy this wonderful life experiance more and be more prepared to end up in a career you will be happy in.

Althought at times the physical layout of the classes does not make it feel like an institution for higher learning, we are still sitting inhight school stlyle desks, the content of and the demeanor of our professors encourage us to be curious about our world, form questions about what we are studying and to seek answers to those questions.

Rhonda

First off I would be telling myself that life has its rollercoasters. You could experience from one thing, but forget to take it in as a lesson learned. Life does not always happen as you plan along, its happens while you are busy. Appreciate the things in life that are taken for granted. Pursue your goals to the fullest, knowing that anything can be accomplished. Make the extra effort to study hard for your major. Get a mentor and learn from what experiences they had. Make challenges for yourself and never give up. Remember that each obstacle that you come across, will make you a stronger person.

phillip

I wish I would have known exactly which classess I needed and didn't so I would not have wasted any time.

I would say the degree of difficulty for most of the classess I have taken.

I would tell myself: Give up the next four years of your life and get through college ASAP. Do not procrastinate or put this off. Go to a counselor right now and ask for help and direction. Get involved in as many activities as you can. Get to know your classmates and fellow students, you never know which connection you make now could help you in your career later. Do not be afraid to ask for help from someone who has been in your shoes before you. Apply for every scholarship possible. The only one that can hurt your chances at success is you. Believe you are capable of more than you give yourself credit for. Put some time into studying so you actually learn something. Choose a major you have some interest in and not just one you think will make you the most money. Put the effort into getting the grade you think you deserve. Remember to enjoy this time in your life because I guarantee you will miss it. Leave no experience undone now so you will have no regrets later.

Cinthya

In high school i did not do as well as i know i could have. I know that line is overly used but in my case its true. My problem is that i tend to procrastinate, i know its not good and it dosent help me academically and its something that i am trying to change about myself. In high school i procrastinated to the last minute and ended up turning in sloppy work, not that it wasent good because i usually got B's or C+'s but it just wasent great and as i look at back at my work i realize that it was not my full potential and i could have done way better. So my advice to myself would be dont procrastinate and reach your full potential. There are so many opportunities i could have taken a chance of and because of my scraping by to pass my classes i could not take those opportunities. My brother and my sister are in high school now and i tell them not to make the same mistakes as me and to put their best efforts in their schoolwork so they can have more opportunities to succeed.

I seriously cant think of something bad otherwise than the parking struggle, and that is getting resolved with the new parking structure and the re-opening of two parking lots.

I believe that a person that wont take their schoolwork seriously shouldent be allowed in any school. I say this because you go to school to learn and if this person couldent care less about their education, then they are more likely to disrupt the class etc. because if they dont care for their education and their learning time, they wont care or respect anyone elses.

Adrian

To pay attention, in class plan for the future. Get good grades, and think about college which is something i didnt do. I never thought about college. Try the hardest i could to make sure i was able to get into any college i wanted too.

Teachers are friendly, they are there for you. Parking lots are not as bad as i thought they would be.

So far my classmates have been very helpful. Everytime I ask a classmate for help they are always willing to help.

Jasmine

There are many things that I would tell myself in senior year of high school, one would be to make sure that I would have taken my ACTs, another would have been to apply to more colleges. I also would tell myself to focus more in excelling, and not just pass by the bare minimum. I would tell myself that going to a farther college from home, and staying in dorms would be one of the best experiences in my life. I would tell myself that things happen for a reason, and focusing on myself and my studies would actually work to the best of my benefit. I also would tell myself to apply for scholarships, since most of time scholarships go unclaimed, and that money could be used to progress my education. Also, that leaving home, friends, and family would be difficult, but would gear me up to becoming a stronger and independent woman.

Although Mesa is a big campus, the faculty and students make you feel wlecome.

Allison

My advice to the high school senior me would be to utilize the people around you. Where in high school it may be easy to do homework, projects and study all by yourself; College does not afford you those same luxuries and at some point you are going to need help. Your parents, as lame and boring as you may think they are, were once college students themselves and may be cool enough to remember what the inverse square root of cosine is, or at least may be able to help you put together your schedule. Also, I stand firmly that college students need to help one another out, if you need help in a class, ask the person sitting next to you, and return the favor. Professors are also great assets, they don't have the plague and they are not going to think you are a nerd because you came to their office. If you take your own time to talk to them, your professor will know you care about the class and is likely to try and make sure you succeed. You are never alone in the college world, ask and you shall recieve.

San Diego Mesa College is just small enough to be friendly and educational, and just big enough to offer almost every class you may need at the community college level.

San Diego Mesa College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.