San Diego, CA
San Diego Mesa College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend San Diego Mesa College

Mesa is a great to help you achieve your Associates or prepare you for a University one day. A good majority of the Professors are very diligent, respectful, helpful, courteous and are always there to lend a helping hand. Just don't rely on them too much because then you start to expect it all the time.

When I was a high school senior I thought I honestly ruled the world. I was untouchable and could get all the help I wanted. Teachers were there to babysit and not to direct me. They held my hand thru everything which was good and bad. In college you do not get that opportunity. It is up to you, yourself, and I to make sure work is done and deadlines are met. There is no one holding your hand extending the deadline because the dog ate your homework. I took a lot of that for granted and because of that it has taken me longer to complete just and Associates Degree. I would explain to myself that with college you have to be self-motivated and not dependent on someone else. Also, not to put work and life before a college education! Thats the best advice I could give myself.

The Professors are the best thing about this campus because the constantly push you to be better than what you yourself believe!

Angela

If only there were a time machine, I would jump in and push the button that would rewind to my senior year in high school. As a college freshman it was a huge eye-opening and challenging experience to transfer from my familiar high school routine, to the complex lifestyle of college. If I could turn back the hands of time, I would provide myself with some tips on how to survive college. My first suggestion would be to make plans and goals for the future. It?s important to start college with dreams that you wish to accomplish. These ambitions will inspire and encourage you to continue when the journey to success becomes difficult. My next tip would be to get to know a counselor well during the beginning of the semester, don?t wait for them to find you. Counselors offer useful information on scholarship opportunities, how to get involved on campus, and are also a great source for motivation and confidence. Overall transitioning from high school to college is not as daunting as it may seem. With preparation and advice along the way it can be some of the best years of one?s life.

I tell my friends about the wonderful professors, friendly people, clean campus, safe environment, and good neighborhood.

Anastasia

There is an abundance of resources available; making it easy to accomplish tasks within deadlines.

It's time to grow up. Now is not the time to let fear take control and leave room for failure or missed opportunities. You are in control now. No one will be there to wake you up in the morning for school. No one will be there to make you breakfast and give you lunch money. No one will ground you for getting a bad grade or for cutting class. Take responsibilty. Make plans, set goals, and accomplish all that you can with what you are given. Just know that change can be good or bad; learn to adapt. Study harder, pay attention more, and sign up for classes you intend to follow through with (you can withdraw only so many times). Time management is important, especially when trying to cram in a social life. Following these makes for a timely graduation, because you know you will be ready to move on to something new after four years. Don't give up because you will regret it. It's not that hard, it doesn't take that long, and once you're done you don't have to do it again. It's all up to you now.

Parking on campus is very difficult throughout the semester, even with new parking lots built. There are so many cars, coming and going from the two entrances on to campus, that it makes it difficult to find parking and get to class on time. It has become easier not to pay for parking, park off campus, and walk.

Candace

If I could go back and become a senior again, I would be so greatful. Being in college has matured me so much and I wish I knew then what I know now. I would tell myself to take school seriously. I am there to learn, not to use it as just a social experience. Dont get caught up in all the drama and giving yourself a certain appeal because it is soon all forgotten. I would encourage myself to participate more in school activities such as yearbook or even Track. I also would have told myself to be honest with my self instead of being so scared of what everyone thinks. With being in college now and coming to the point of getting a degree that will decide my future, I wish I would have given more thought to my future then. I would tell myself that this is the year I need to start preparing myself for the college life, but also keep in mind that this is also my last year of high school. I would tell myself not to rush through it but cherish it for what it is.

The best aspect of Mesa is the large variety of classes it has. Looking through the class schedule I feel overwelmed yet excitied at the same time. There is so much to choose from and I find myself thinking of what to take and also wanting to take everythig. It has a lot of transferable classes which gives you confidence that the class you take ensures your future and it is not a waste of time. It also makes arranging your schedule very easy.

I promote Mesa College as being a great commmunity college to transfer from. It contains a large amount and a great variety of classes. You can eaisly get the classes you need to transfer with, and the teachers are excellent. I have had many teachers who also teach at the nearby San Diego State and UC San Diego. It ensures me that they are teaching at the same level as a university. I also enjoy the campus which is open and flat, making it nice and simple to reach your classes. Additionally, there are a lot of cute boys.

Lucas

San Diego Mesa College is a beautiful, well-kept, lively college campus that has been a victim of the recent educational budget cuts of California, but seems to have done well in utilizing its dwindled resources in retaining its academic level of excellence.

I would have to say that in order to become a successful college student you will have to learn to be very discipline amongst your peers and even yourself. I noticed so many college students showing up to a test or quiz on a Monday morning looking like they could pass as the Grim Reaper for Halloween. They have no discipline to buckle down and study. Then, they have the nerve to ask the professor if they could take the test another day and still get full credit. Some students might have the full intension of studying for a situation like this, but end up getting talked into going out and consuming alcohol all weekend by their peers. In high school you have people like your parents and, more often than not, even your teachers constantly pushing you to finish your school work. College doesn?t work like that. You are now your own person, your own driving force and your own self. Your parents won?t always be there to ask if you?ve done your homework, and your college professors won?t be willing to help you if you aren?t willing to help yourself.

I wish I knew that the college educates people of all ages. I had this idea in my head that the college comprised primarily of newly graduated high school students. In reality, however, after actually attending my first semester of classes, I noticed that my classmates were all of different ages ranging from 17 to 41. Once I got the image of 17 to 19 year old college students cleared from my head, I was able to focus more on my class work, rather than the question of whether or not I would fit in with the student community.

Rowelynne

Unlike other community colleges, Mesa offers such great opportunities for those aspiring to transfer to a 4-year university. It was difficult to find a great community college that would easily help me transfer to UCLA but Mesa proved just how smooth it could be to transfer. They had a program that specifically targeted UCLA and many other universities that I could choose from if ever I changed my mind, which other colleges I have researched lacked. I considered going to a community college much closer to home but the many opportunities Mesa had stood out to me.

When I was still in high school, I was ignorant and careless. I was still able to get by with average grades but it wasn't good enough to get into a good university and at that time I had no sympathy. Senior year came along and just then I realized that I wanted to get into an ivy league university. I joined several clubs, got into the Associated Student Body and played sports at the varsity level. However, I was missing a key ingredient. Amazing grades. I was stuck with a handsome list of clubs and sports but my grades were definately not up to par. I have always wanted to go back to my freshman year in order to tell myself to simply care. I would have told myself to look up the necessary information on how to succeed. I would have told myself to put down the car keys and study for once. I would have told myself to become aware and to think. I always blamed my friends for not helping me when really, I was the problem. I know now that it takes genuine time and dedication to succeed. That's all I needed.

I believe the education level in general is the best thing I have come across at Mesa. Every teacher that I have encountered has had a great amount of passion for their work and their students. Each class I have taken so far has been a challenge but as tough as they were, my teachers have given me the motivation to earn above satisfactory grades as I end up loving each subject. I feel that each staff member -not only the teachers- gives so much dedication to their work and that is what I see as great at Mesa.

Angelina

Mesa College is full of a diverse number of students.

Mesa College is full of a diverse number of students.

I feel that Mesa College is best known for having so many options. There are tons of courses you are able to enroll in and the school is constantly trying to improve to better serve its students.

I would tell myself to just try to get through school and worry about the other aspects of life afterwards. I would also tell myself that although relationships may seem important (both friendships and otherwise), school should come first always. I learned my lesson the hard way and I took a year off after I graduated high school. I worked two jobs and I am positive that it helped me mature and I gained a lot from the experience; however, now I am a bit behind in school and it has been a constant frustration. I think it's important to continue your education and go through the process of attending college out of high school (whether it be a 2 or 4 year institution). I was fearful because I was unsure of what I wanted to major in, yet after taking different courses you begin to see what your interests are.

elton

My classmate come from a broad range of cultural and ethnic backgrounds. Diversity is definately abundant at Mesa. However, sometimes the students act more like highschoolers than people trying to attain higher learning.

Mesa College offered the classes required to enter the field of dietetics. They also have great programs for culinary and other health related fields.

The advice I have for high school seniors is probably very unconventional. My experience in high school was very tough. I got terrible grades and eventually dropped out of school for almost a year. Eventually, I got my GED. Then I even went back and finished high school. What was particularly interesting about my situation was that, once I returned to high school, I managed to stay on the honor roll the whole time. As a college student, I maintain a 3.95 GPA. Given the rollercoaster of an academic track record I have, my advice is as follows: Don't let your past become your future. Make your mistakes before college. Take time to gather self motivation, it will carry you much further than doing something because you are "supposed to."

Christopher

Get everything done as early as possible and have the big things planned out. Get some help from a few particular places and whip your parents into gear (so you can become independent of them sooner).

The high prices at the bookstore and cafeteria (as well as the vending machines).

The library -wi-fi, the computers at the top, the career collection, the book collection.

Colleen

San Diego Mesa College is a very diversified school; it allows the students to learn more about other cultures and their beliefs, and also allows you to learn more about yourself through the introduction and sharing of other students' cultures.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice as a high school student, I would pass on the advice that going above and beyond the cirriculum would be to the best of my benefit. In college it is expected that we are spending excess time on our projects and homework and that we are not procrastinating on our assignments. To push ourselves beyond what is expected by our teachers, we are allowing our brains to expand and grow. Also, we become more responsible and open-minded because we are allowing our minds to view the project from all different angles and points of view. In high school, students tend to be one-minded and straight to the point. They like to finish their projects quickly and at the last minute just to get them out of the way and to be done with them. They do not put effort into their assignments and only see what the question/problem asks them to see. By starting to see beyond the problem in high school, it would save a lot of trouble and adjustments in the students studying habits for when they get to college.

The thing I like least about attending a community college, is that the students are not as interested in meeting other people as they are in at a University. Students are more concerned about showing up for class, making it through the class and leaving the class as soon as it is scheduled to end. It is difficult to get to know your classmates on a personal level, instead of just on a educational level. I would like to attend a school where students are more outgoing and interested in meeting one another.

San Diego Mesa College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.