San Diego Miramar College Top Questions

Dawn

If I could go back in time 30+ years, and speak to myself as a high school senior, I would tell that young girl that, as the trite but accurate saying goes, life truly is a marathon and not a sprint. At the ripe old age of 18, life already seemed to be passing quickly by! In a sense, I chose to essentially bypass much of the carefree lifestyle and experiences that young people, without "adult" responsibilities, should be allowed to experience (such as college, developing career and life goals, and taking methodical steps to achieve those goals as you grow and mature without the added stress of raising a family, at least for a time). Instead, I jumped quickly into marriage at 19, and had my first child at age 21. I have been greatly blessed in my life, and am grateful for those blessings every day. However, I complicated things a great deal by taking the leap into "adulthood" so quickly. I didn't (perhaps couldn't?) realize then that there was time for both - youth AND adulthood! In the immortal words of Billy Joel, "When will you realize, Vienna waits for you?!"

Tanya

If I could go back in time I would let my high school self know that it is okay to change. I would tell myself that even though it is scary to transition from what was once a regular routine; it is possible to succeed in college and become more responsible. The last thing I would let myself know is that there will be major problems and obstacles that are going to try to stop you from going forward. For example, lack of money, health problems, or everyday issues; no matter how these problems may affect your life do not let them stop you because you can do this.

Micah

The best advice that I wish I could have communicated to myself as a High School Senior would have been to take school seriously and respect the process. After graduating High School you are ready to be done, you have just spent the past twevle years of your life in an institution that few rarely take seriously and few realize how important it is to your future. I was convinced going to the junior college, taking time to explore and take classes I wanted to take would reinspire me and empower me to continue my education and I didnt bother applying to a four year schools nor did I bother taking my SAT's or ACT's because I thought as a transfer student they wouldn't be considered necessary and now I see all that I did was limit myself. Now after working in the "real world", I see just how necessary school is and how important it is to believe in yourself, respect the process and take seriously what could be the most important decision for your future, your EDUCATION!

Valarie

I moved out of my parents' home when I was 18 years old to start my own life. It has been a full year now since I've left. Although I love my new life and wouldn't change the decisions I made, I would have liked there to be someone to tell me how hard of a struggle it was going to be. If I was able to go back in time to talk to myself what it would be like to be an independent college student, I would definitely tell myself that the smart thing to do would be to focus on what will benefit me in the future as opposed to what is going to benefit my right now. I would tell myself to stick it out, stay at home with Mom and Dad, have the chance to save up money. As stressful as it is staying at home, a 600 mile move to San Diego wouldn't be any better.

Trevor

Spend afew days figuring out what classes you're going to take, and then act on it. Don't wait to know exactly what you want to do, because you have to take certain classes no matter what you want to do with your life. Also find work and study hard so that you can pay for and afford a good education. But don't stress about getting everything perfect either because you have the rest of your life to learn and work and even play.

Breanna

It is up to you now, Breanna. The school, the teachers, and your parents aren't going to be tracking down your attendance, and making sure that you get every assignment you missed. This is your life now, and you have to take the reigns and understand your responsibility. It's time to grow up, it's time to get focused, and get prioritized. Don't get caught up in things like partying, and hanging out with friends all the time. Realize that your dreams aren't permenant you can change them. In the next couple of years you are about to face some of the hardest times in your life, many times of which you will feel you cannot go on any longer, where you would love to give up. But don't. One thing to remember is that throughout all the trials and tribulations of life there is a lesson to be learned. Look to the positive in every situation, keep your head high, and look to your family for support, you will need them now more than ever. Good luck!

Going back in time to being a high school senior I would like to know about the many transitions from high school to college. I would want to realize the importance of procrasination, the value of personal notes, the gaining knowledge of participation, and the many ways to be an active student. When you procrasinate in college there are no second chances as there are in high school. Notes are critical, and making your own study guide is important. You can only learn so much from reading other students notes. I know now that participation is only a gain to yourself. Participation is an opportunity that should never be wasted. Be an active student! Become well rounded as you explore your campus and be a member of a school group. If you surround yourself with achievers, its a great encouragement to yourself and others around you.

Lara

I would suggest high school students to prepare as much time aside to work on their homework and any additional assignments. It's easy to expect that there will be plenty of time to finish assignments teachers ask but in reality there is never enough time in the day for college. It is best to not work, if possible, and if not take a lighter load in school. From my past experiences I learned that it was important keeping in touch with teachers and making many friends in each class. It is also key to stay focused and keep on top of every homework assignment before deadlines pass.

If I were able to go back to high school to change something, I would have told myself to just apply myself. I struggled throughout all of high school but only because I never applied myself, or tried to study and pass. I ended up with a GED, and now I realize there was so much I missed out on that could have made going to college much easier. I regret not putting in the work or effort to get me to a four year college now that I see all my friends have left and are living on their own, having the time of their life while making it through school. I would tell myself to quit the procrastination, because it only makes your life so much more stressful than it should be. If only I could go back, but I can't so I'm doing the best I can now to keep up and make it through these tough college years.

In highschool I thought that it would be easier for me to just have fun and slack off and not apply myself in school. I did get good grades and graduated with a 3.87, but didn't bother to apply to any schools. I wish I had gone to a state or university. I fell like being at a 4 year college would have kept me more focused on school. I have taken the last year and a half off from community college to work and help take care of my family. I am glad that I did that and the things I have experienced from working full time and it has helped me decide what career path I want to take by learning what jobs I do not want to have. I would tell my high school senior self to take school more seriously and try harder.