San Diego State University Top Questions

Juleyanne

Hmm.. The stereotype at my school is that we're a bunch of party animals. I wouldn't say it's completely accurate, but there is a lot of events going on to make the stereotype stick.

Jimmy

Yes. But there are also a ton of people that are not "Greek"-oriented and are real and awesome. Sereotypes can never tell the whole truth.

Devin

Yes and No

Ash

No! People like to go out and have fun but not all the time. Most of the people who do party all the time are some of the freshman that come in and they dont last. Some girls probably have had a STD while attending State but not to the degree people say and that is no different than any other College/University.

Jessie

Nein, überhaupht nicht. I am currently in my fourth semester, and have never attended a 'college' party. My studies in physics demand the utmost quality in my work. And because of this school?s such tight bound with universities in Germany, I can put extensive experience in Germany on my resume.

Jessie

Justin

As a generalization, some are and some are not. There are enough students at SDSU that reflect materialistic, shallow, and self-centered personallities that the stereotype is probably warranted. However, the vast majority of students are very goal oriented and academically centered. There is a high level of entreprenuerial spirit in the student body. I would argue that SDSU provides superior educationalional opportunites in more areas than UCSD and USD. I would even be willing to suggest a comparison of nationally ranked programs as a measurable determinate. Fortunately, students at SDSU do not carry the same negative attitudes towards each of the other Universities out of respect that they are quite different in focus i.e. Law or Science. Regarding the party stigma, I would not hesitate to say that we party just as much as any other school. USD's campus doesn't provide the same party opportunites, therefore their parties blend in with the Mission Beach and Pacific Beach scene. Frankly, UCSD just isn't known for parties, so by comparison, SDSU does stand out.

Rory

Depends on the individuals really. I feel that Greek life, which has a large aspect of partying on their part, brand the rest of us, even though we do our best to study and be college students. But I wouldn't blame it on the Greek life peoples all of the time, though, because that's a stereotype in itself. I think it's just that enough people from SDSU go look for or hold parties that SDSU has become a "party school".