San Diego State University Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Natalia

The common stereotypes of the students at San Diego State University is that we are all a bunch of party kids. This is definitely not true. A lot of the students end up attending the top graduate schools in the nation and SDSU was ranked #1 small research institute for a while.

Welney

The stereotype of students is that they are all party hard and that many of them are in Greek life.

Samer

The main stereotype of students is that they all party.

Victor

People say San Diego State University is a party school and that is very easy. Truth to be told is that SDSU is a very respected university in San Diego and in California; it is one of the best universities in the CSU system and it is not easy at all. Students can struggle if they do not dedicate enough time to study and do their homework. I am not going to lie, there are many parties every weekend, and it is fine to blow off some steam but do not forget that you are in a University where you need more study time than you did in High School

A stereotype for SDSU is that it is a Party school. This is no more true then most other Universities, it can be a party school if you want to make it one for yourself. It is also a very exceptional school and in no way is it primarily a party school.

Isai

Alot of Fraternity/Sorority guys and girls that throw alot of parties. Basically that this is a party school. For the most part yes it is pretty accurate.

One BIG stereotype for SDSU is that EVERYONE there is big on parties and on drinking. As far as my experience has gone, that isn't true. College is what you make of it! If you look for parties and for drinking, then you'll probably find it. But, if you have a good head on your shoulders and you focus on your studies, you won't get wrapped up in all of that.

Juleyanne

From what I was told and from what I can base off from the statistics on CollegeBoard, SD State is a party school that's easy to get into and graduate from. Though there is a high chance of partying on the weekend, which colleges don't? And the whole idea about the idea about the "easy academics," it's not true. All majors are impacted, so you need to work hard to get a degree in the major that you want.

Juleyanne

From what I was told, SD State is a party school.. And was majority white people/Hispanics/Latinos. From my perspective, I can see how people think so; with all the Greek letters that are represented around campus, you'd think that they're all from social fraternities/sororities. Though, half of the time, that's not necessarily the case. Sure, a lot of the main ones you see people wearing the Greek letters on their sweaters come from social fraternities, but there are service fraternities and cultural fraternities/sororities as well. The campus is diverse, embrace the different types of people.

Juleyanne

From what I was told, the school has a large population of white people and Latinos/Hispanics. Though that may be the initial impression you get when arriving at the school, the campus is pretty diverse. As for like "stereotypes," everyone is involved in some kind of fraternity or sorority kind of group, but not all of them are social fraternities/sororities. There's a large diversity of people at State, so your days are never boring.