San Francisco Art Institute Top Questions

amy

The advice i would have given myself would have to be, get serious and go look for a job because you never really know how much you will have to spend and how much of a burden it will put your parents in. Your parents already have enough on their plate looking for a new house because the bank foreclosed your house. Go volunteer more because with more expierence it is more likely that you'll get acepted into the college of your dreams. Stop procrastinating because it will come back to haunt you later on. There are so many things i regret and right now i wish i could take them back but i can't and with this scholarship it will help me acheive my dream of working in the animal field.

Elliot

I learned that it all starts with your mindset. And there are several factors that could cause someones high-school to turn completely upside down. First is positioning yourself in your social life. Don't ever hold grudges. Spending your high school years focusing on the tension between you and another person is not pleasant. Be quick to forgive. This could hinder one's study habits for education or could put you at risk of taking revenge. Just let it go and move on. Then make a set of goals for yourself. Ask yourself what you would like to accomplish by the end of high school, make a plan on how you would like to reach them. There is a lot of room for improvement and there is no reason not to improve. Learn to take responsibility. Doing whatever you want regardless of the consequences because your parents or teachers are there to fix it. It's an awful habit. Learn to be accountable for yourself and learn self-discipline. Last and foremost, do well in academics. Always remember that possibility is within everyone's reach. Position yourself for success. Keep yourself active in all aspects of your life.

To my naive self, It's your senior year! This is a year to remember for sure! You are going to enjoy being at Eastwood High School no matter what the circumstance. It's going to be hard to make friends being that you are round and pregnant, but that is not what is important. What's important is your grades. Stay focused on the goals you have set for you and your baby's future. The students around you don't make up who you are, you do. Work as hard as you can everyday. It will get hard, especially when you are on maternity leave. You will feel like you are falling behind. Keep your head up girl! Enjoy the extra-activities that high-school has to offer and take all the help that the teachers are so willing to give. Its your senior year, so do your absolute best and don't ever give up!

There is so much I would tell my high school self! Work hard in every class, no matter how trivial it may seem, it will pay off later in college. Go to a community college KNOWING what you want to do in life, it will save you from switching majors later on and keep your degree at four years instead of six. Apply for as many scholarships as you can, including Bright Futures, it will save you from loan debt later on. Keep contact with your friends, when you do not know anyone at your new college, talking to them will make all the difference. I actually gave advice to my younger sister when she graduated high school and she has told me more than once it saved her a lot of anguish.

So Tom, how's it feel being a high school drop out? I know you haven’t put a value on education. Let me assure you, it is infinitely more valuable than you have yet to realize. You don’t know this, but you’re going to end up being a teacher. Don’t wait until you’re in your in your 30’s to go to college. Stay in school, graduate with your friends, and go to college! You'll love getting a college education, it is an amazing and inspiring experience. It maysound crazy, I know you don’t like school, but you will, and you’ll wish you would have stuck with it from the beginning. You’re going to do great in college; you’re going to get scholarships and grants because you have an enormous capacity for success that you don’t see, but it is there, it lives inside you. I’m telling you kid, stay with it, go back to high school while you still can. You won’t regret it, I promise you. Either way you go about it, now, or later, you will go to college, and you'll love it.

Severn

I would've saved up more of my money to help pay for my tuition costs.

Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, the advice that I would give myself would be would there are a lot of college options and to thoroughly research colleges. This would better help you transition and to always think positive and keep on track. Always try your best because you want to get your money worth of education. You’re in college to learn and succeed, and that you want to keep up to date with your loans and tuition because you don’t want to fall behind on making payments. Socialize with different people, and keep up the good study habits that you had in high school. Get a planner and learn how to cook, it saves you a lot of money. The first few months away from your parents are difficult , but stay positive because many college students are away from home. Its part of the college experience.

Blaze

My academic and artistic limits have been pushed and tested to expand and become an expert in my chosen field. This school is the only college I know of that offers an artistic interpretation to my major, Urban Studies. Not only do I learn urban and social theory, but I also have the ability to create artistic projects that react to the theory I learn in class. I have already had three different gallery shows at this school. It has a lot of venues to show, sell and get recognized for your artistic practice. I am very appreciative to have found this school and look foward to utilize the connections I have made here to launch my career.

Rene

My college experience thus far has allowed me to explore another city to which I was a stranger just two years ago. I have been able to make a home away from home and I have proved to myself my ability to be self motivated and directed. I've lived on my own since I was 18 and I attended a community college. I am glad to have transfered here to the San Francisco Art Institue through my own will and determination. I feel that my being accepted into college is a personal victory since I didn't have my parents forcing me to go or even encouraging me. This self movtivation and determination is just one of the many things I am proud of when I think of my college experience. I have also had the pleasure of meeting extraordinary faculty and staff who have helped and are helping me actualize my dreams of finishing college and getting my BFA and I know they will conintue to support me as I try to go on and get my masters in the future.

I am a mother of three and a returning college student. I have been very excited to be back in shcool and have valued my second chance at an education greatly. Because of this, I have gotten a great deal out of my college experience. I was originally a "false start" student, meaning that I started right out of high shcool and ended up flunking out in my second semester. As a result, I came back to college with a 2.1 GPA. In the 2 years that I have been back, I have managed to pull my GPA up to a 3.45! I have worked very hard in overcoming the past and, as a result, I have gotten a lot of confidence and self-respect out of my return to school. I do not take for granted any day that I am at school, and I have found my desired future as a business woman. I will be graduating in May of 2009 and then transferring to a private University, overcoming insurmountable odds for a woman my age and with my place in society. I am grateful for my experience as a returning student!

While going to college I have learned many things that I never before saw myself capable of, until now. Most of these lessons are not found in a traditional textbook. Among many qualities I gained, one of them has been learning to break out of my shell and lessen my concern with the perception of others and focus my energy on doing what I want to do, what I love to do and all the training on how to do it. I feel that the value in attending college is not only to gain considerable amounts of training and knowledge but to also gain experiences. I highly value my exposure to another city, to its multiple ethnicities and cultures, varying financial situations, highly diversified outlooks on life, etc. In other words, I find college valuable to attend because it is eye opening, life changing and will shape me into the person I want to become.

If I were to go back and counsel myself about making a decision about college, the most important piec of advice I could give would be to allow yourself as much time and flexibility as you can to figure out what you want to do. Deciding what you want to do with your life is not an easy decision at any time, but especially not when you are young and don't have much experience in the world yet. To add to the confusion, technology is moving so quickly these days that your profession of choice may not even be invented yet, or is only beginning to break out. My advice is to commit yourself to the broadest area of study that still includes your intended direction and become more specialized in your education as you go. You do not have to declare a major right away, so get your general education classes out of the way while you are thinking about how you want to specialize. When you pick an area you want to go into, try to select a major with a large umbrella that includes your specialization and then take classes to supplement that focus.

The advice I would have loved to preach to myself during my senior year would have been to save as much money as possible before enrolling into college and to better prepare myself mentally for the academic challenges. College is more difficult then highschool and the atmosphere is very different and the more prepared you are the easier it will be to adjust to the changes. As far as financially, books aren't free anymore like they were in highschool, so that part time job you have is super beneficial to you and towards your future finances for college. Since being a full-time student with 16 credits, and 5, four hour long classes per week there is no time for a part time job especially with your learning disablity (ADD, Bipolar) so it would have been such a great relief to have a little extra saved for myself before even considering college right after highschool. Living 2,000 miles away from your boyfriend, parents and friends is very tough, but you have to stick through it and get that degree you always dreamed of! It will go by much quicker than you think!

A wise man once told me that it doesn?t matter where one is when it comes to achieving their goals, what matters is how much motivation one has. When thinking back to being a high school senior, I put too much weight upon the location of my university. I thought that if I was somewhere different I would know what I wanted to do. Looking back at that stressed out high school senior, I would want to tell her to calm down. I would want to tell her that everything she needs to know is inside of her. When she leaves she will be scared and feel lonely, no matter where she goes. I will tell her that when this happens she should raise her head and never doubt that she is learning. If she needs to leave after a year, it?s okay, as long as she does not act out of fear. I would tell her not too hold too high of expectations and that it?s okay not to know what she wants for a while. Just because she doesn?t have it all figured out does not make her inadequate.