San Francisco, CA
San Francisco State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend San Francisco State University

Philip

Thes best about SFSU is that it is located right off the highway, so it is very convenient to get there. However, it is too small and parking is horrible. The biggest recent issue on campus is the budget cut on eduation. There is a lot of school pride.

SFSU is racially diverse and I feel comfortable being there. Most students wear casual attire.

I am doing this survey for Accounting Students Organization (ASO).

Professors do not really know my name. My favorite classes are accounting classes since they are practical and professors seem to know the materials and know how to teach. The other classes are somewhat useless. Class participation is very common. Students are competitive and have intellectual conversations outside of class. I am accounting major and sometimes ask my professors for advices in future career. The education at SFSU is geared toward a job.

I am involved with Accounting Student Organization. I make many friends by going to events held by ASO.

Brett

Even though SFSU is located in San Francisco, it is not a party school at all. It is actual very nice and comfortable to be on main campus.

People are very open mind about other races. You can find any ethnics student organizations on campus.

Some facilities are old on main campus. I am looking forward to see a brand new library soon.

Half and Half. There are still a lot of students don't have to work and go to school full-time.

SFSU is a very diverse campus. However, you have to make sure you study hard since professors really make sure you work hard for their classes.

There are many professional events organized by students. It is a good way for student to demostrate leadership and organizational skills. It is very good for students to network as well.

Communter school. Students have to work a lot and go to school a lot.

Shawn

THe best thing about SFSU is that is located in one of the most beautiful cities in the United States. It has wonderful, friendly people. SFSU has a lot of excellent instructors. One thing I would change is the maximum amount of units you can register. For example, in the primary time for registering for your classes, you could only register for 8 units. HOW RIDICULOUS IS THIS!!! One possible change is adding one more unit to that number. Also, just let us complete our schedule how it is. Oh yes. Another thing that the shcool can do to help out their students is convincing the city of SF to extend the muni fastpass to Daly City BART station. That would be increadible and will reduce transportation time. Where do I spend most of my time? Either in class, the library, the student union, or talking with classmates. There are many things you can do in SFSU.

It has been a cool school so far.

Not accurate. I have met people with low GPA and high GPA.

Professors have a little trouble remembering my name because my name is not that common. Either way, they do recognize my hard work. Such as my accounting instructor. She recognizes that i am an increadible student. Therefore, this accounting course is by far the best class I have this semester. The least favorite is my Internation Bussiness class. The instructor teaches exactly what is on the book. She tests us on EVERYTHING. She has a low voice and monotonous. She is making the hard harder than it actually is. I SHOULD HAVE TAKEN THIS CLASS ONLINE! Everyone in that class is strugleling. She hands out the study guide for the exam a class before the Exam. HOW HELPFUL IS THAT? Big mistake taking her. I don't know about other students, but i study a lot. I mean, I study too much. I do not have a social life anymore. I have not gone to the movies...due to the fact that I do not have time or the money to do so. I espect to change to my old self once the semester is over. I am going to party hard once i finish studying hard.

The group that I am involved in is called ASO (Accounting Student Organization). So far the experience has been ok. Not the best. Not the worse. I think it could be better. I do not know what kind of parties students do during the week or the weekend.

1) SFSU accepts students that do poorly in school either in high school or in a two year community college.

Sam

SFSU is a commuter school. Students generally hold jobs and attend full time. People come from all over the bay and generally come for class and leave right after.

There are many student organizations on campus that cater to a variety of individuals. We have political, religious, academic, ethnic oriented groups, the list goes on and on. So regardless of your interest you'll feel right at home.

The students are diverse but that does offer a great experience

The class sizes are fair but increasing due to the budget cuts. Professors in upper division courses are more interactive and personal. There is much more dialogue that occurs in the upper division courses.

There is usually live music, or performers of some sort in front of the Cesar Chavez building on warm sunny days. Everyone kicks back and just enjoys their break. Most clubs and organizations are tabling outside, doing fundraising or just raising awareness of their organization.

We are typically dubbed as a very diverse set of students where it is hard to meet other individuals.

Chris

I love walking around campus and seeing every kind of face. I think the diversity (and it's also one of styles and personalities! Just look around...)at SFSU is something every school should strive for. I think the campus is a perfect size as long as it doesn't keep adding students with no classrooms to fit them in. I think it's very easy to grow to love the school and campus environment...when it's a nice day and everyone's out on the quad, sprinkled all over the campus, it's an awesome thing to see. I've learned recently what kind of political history our school has and that's something that I'm really proud of. SFSU is definitely not a college town and I think that becomes a deal breaker for people, so to speak. THe fact that people are coming from so many different places and are many times going to school to get on BART and commute an hour or more home, it makes it harder to make connections with other students who have opposite schedules and priorities closer to campus. There is so much diversity but a lack of more meshing together.

I work for a religious organization and in my short lived experience there I have learned that while minority communities are out there on and around campus, it's very hard to bring in new people and especially integrate different kinds of people into a specific organization such as MECHA, BSU, Hillel. There are people of every background at our school but as much as groups try, we are not reaching out enough to each other. The majority of people I see on campus are Asian, African American, Caucasion and Latino...but what about everyone else? I am taking People and Cultures of California and I've learned all about the thousands of American Indians in the U.S. and political events that took place on our very campus centering around their community, but where are they today? I would be interested in trying to find a way to bring people together more.

My main complaint is the smoking on campus. People walk around smoking all the time and it is completely disrespectful and unsafe to other people. I've seen students who are smoking who spot the police coming to ticket someone else for it and so they quickly throw it on the ground...so now they've been smoking around people and also littered on campus. How do we change this? Obviously the threat of policing for it isn't enough.

The foundations of the stereotypes are accurate.It is largely a commuter school though more people are staying closer to the campus now. There are so many people that it is hard to feel a sense of community but it is improving, even in the 3 years I have been enrolled. As a Jewish person there is a lot of controversy but I don't feel like I can't practice openly, the community never holds me back.

I am a Liberal Studies major because I didn't want to have to pick only one area of concentration. I've enjoyed my ETHS 100 and Women and Politics the best so far because it gave me a real perspective of society and something I can work toward to make change. While I'm not very good at science, each science class I've taken at state has been really stimulating. As a whole, I've enjoyed my professors. As far as teachers knowing my name, it's only in small classes where that's been possible or apparent which I guess is understandable for the size of many lectures. My key frustration is registration for classes because students keep getting added instead of classes, though that has to do with budget cuts and fee hikes, I know. Many people at SFSU are the first to go to college in their families so for some, it's more about attaining a degree and not just having the luxury of learning, although because of that, it also goes the other way. I just think it's too hard to generalize whether people are here just for the sake of learning when American society dictates what we have to do in order to get from point a to point b--go to college= be successful.

Strictly a commuter school with no good social life, lack of community, anti-Israel sentiments

Casey

Location! Location! Location! SFSU is a microcosm of San Francisco...large but entirely manageable and filled with all different kinds of interesting people. Most people hear "San Francisco" when I tell them I go to SFSU. The city is supportive of the school, but has far too much going on to be considered a "college town". It is a large state school, but everything for me has always run smoothly. I mostly just hang out at the Cafe by the Humanities building talking to people and drinking my espresso. We are a low key student body. We like our school, but we're not going to be obnoxious about it. Last year, there were some student walk outs to support the faculty in their negotiations with CSU, and even that wasn't too crazy. Protests? All in a days work. I don't know what people complain about in regards to school...usually when I hear someone bitching it is personal.

I love the variety of life at SFSU! It is like the city itself...you kind of have to interact. It is hard to ignore the person crammed next to you on the subway train! I like the political hoopla (although sometimes they piss me off when I am feeling moderate). A student really committed to conservative values may feel out of place...if you are not open to people of different races, religions, sexual orientations, and political outlooks you will have a lot of people around to close off! We are a casual urban campus, where you are not going to see a bunch of girls in heels. We are all about stylish coats and hoodies and flats and Pumas and vintage clothes and stuff. On any given day, four tables would be filled with: Asian freshman playing some cool card game I don't even know about, an older twosome discussing a project or the faculty member they are assisting, a louder and more artistic group talking about music or mutual friends, and finally probably someone sitting alone with their laptop or a textbook open while they eat.

I am not going to be drowning in debt when I leave :) It is so affordable, and I love the education I am receiving. IT IS CHEAP!!

Every stereotype has a small grain of truth to it. In general, we are liberal, but all different types of people go to school here. Yes, even foreigners and homosexuals...

Two of my favorite class experiences: Imagery, Metaphor, and Symbol with Professor Langton. The whole class grade was based on your final research paper...no homework, no textbook, no tests or essays. And the final paper was no easy task, 10-12 pages, and to get an A he said the paper must "delight and amuse" him. But students still showed up, because his lectures were so interesting. He used to read snippets of great poetry and talk about how many words in English weren't English at all, like "canoe", "kimono", "gazelle", etc. I also loved Lord of the Rings as Epic, taught by Professor Tuma, who had created the class with his wife over twenty years prior! He was a specialist in really old English, Arthurian and medieval and stuff. He wanted to retire when his wife fell ill but admin. convinced him to stay because no one had accumulated the kind of broad but specific knowledge needed to replace him. This class was the last he ever taught at SFSU, and the last class was a retirement party for him with champagne and spiced wine and everything. So in general, faculty and students care about personal academic growth over competition. They want you to have IDEAS, and there is always an exchange of ideas occurring, whether between students or between students and teachers.

Last year, we hosted the screening of "The War" with Ken Burns, and I really wanted to go. I heard a lot of people went to that. Movie nights do okay. Athletics are not very visible. The Graduate Literary Association is cool, and the impromptu writing groups like The Velvet Revolution are good times. The Greek system is pretty nonexistent here!!! It is not a frat party kind of school. It is all about small gatherings, just to have a few drinks and talk. The traditions are tied to the city! What is going down in the city, like Chinese New Years, are where the students are! If you are not in the city at 2 am you are probably sitting around with friends watching Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle. If you want to go do something, pick anything...the city has movie houses, concerts, bars, art galleries, museums, cultural events, modern dance, etc.

The same stereotypes that people have about San Francisco...that we are all extremists, homosexuals, hippies, foreigners, etc...As a Cal State school, people probably think we do not have as much money as our UC counterparts.

Kyle

The best thing about SFSU is the city. The school itself isn't that impressive. I liked the fact that it was very diverse. There's such a wide range in how people dress, how they act, who they interact with, and what they're interested in. And I like that. It was very interesting, and never boring. The problem with SFSU is that it's in San Francisco. I say it's a bad thing because it draws all the focus away from the school. If you go to say Chico, you'll find that there's nothing out there. The school is the only thing the students have. San Francisco has so much stuff going on constantly that it's a commuter school. You go to class and then you leave. People don't congregate on campus. Why would you when there's an awesome city sitting there? The amount of students that actually go to SFSU is around 30,000 (I think) but if you walked around campus you'd think there were only 3,000. Another downside to SFSU is the weather. I had a professor explain to the class that SFSU was built on the last 100 acres available in San Francisco. And guess what, it's in the worst location. The spot with the worst weather. It's constantly overcast and windy. There's maybe two months out of the year of sunshine and warmth, and they're not consecutive. The upside is that people actually go out and do things on the sunny days since they're so rare that people have to take advantage of them. The frustrating thing is that if you go twenty miles in any direction, and sometimes just downtown, it'll be sunny and hot. For some reason, the cold water off the coast blows in and the hills trap the moisture or something. Whatever it is, it's a bad location weather wise.

I never really had any experiences with any of the groups on campus. At most I'd see a table set up with some information on it, but I'd never stop to look at it. I simply didn't care. Most students dressed for comfort from what I could tell. Some of the business students would dress business-like, but I got the impression it's because they'd come from work or have to go there after. SFSU students come from all over. There were many international students from the Asia region in the business college. Lots of diversity. Lots of different looking people. It felt like a global campus. Being San Francisco, the campus was pretty liberal. It seemed like only a very small percentage of people were political. When Bush got reelected there was a small group that wanted people to walk out in protest. It didn't go too well. I don't think more than 10 people "walked out."

I can only speak for the business department since I transfered from a Junior College and had all my general education out of the way. I wasn't impressed. I felt that the classes were just as easy, if not easier, than my JC. There was only one class that I felt what I was learning was really relevant and I felt the professor was easily the best at the school in my experience. Hands down, without a doubt, best professor. International Business 680: Global Strategic Management with Professor Ungson. He taught his course based on being able to break down a company to figure out their business model and then using that information to create a business report that displayed the information in a concise way that executives would want to see. He's brilliant. One of his students actually turned his teaching into a product that he sold to businesses. Not an SFSU student. He's taught at a couple different institutions. I attended every class meeting because I knew what I was experiencing was real education. While I was in his class I felt like I was at Harvard. His lectures were once a week for three hours yet they went by quicker than all of my ninety minute classes that met twice a week. I can't say enough good things about Professor Ungson. I wish he taught all my classes. I feel like then my education would mean something. Which brings me to my biggest complaint. I was content with the ease I went through the business school to get my degree. It's all I wanted really. Just the piece of paper that said I did it, I graduated. But I don't feel that my degree has any merit. I feel it's like a high school diploma. SFSU has a lot of international students, especially in the business department. And there were a lot of these students who had English as a second language. They weren't very good at presentations, it was difficult for them to read and write in English, and yet they passed the same classes as me. I'm not trying to insult those students, it's just a fact. They received a degree from the United States and their English was limited. How well were they able to understand the material? I wonder. It didn't matter, though. They passed their classes and got the same piece of paper as me. After attending SFSU I feel as though I settled for a second rate education. I felt like I should've gone to a Cal Berkeley or a UCLA. Or course I would've had to take my education more seriously when I was younger, but that's besides the point. The point is that SFSU isn't that great academically. I'd say that about 75% of my general classes only had reading and multiple choice tests. After taking the tests the material was often forgotten. The material wasn't presented in a way that stimulated my retention. Now that's not entirely the professor's fault. Some of the material I just didn't find that exciting, like accounting for instance. But I felt as though the grade scales were often designed to pass students. In my accounting 100 course, a passing grade was a 55%. After all, you can't get money from students if they're dropping out. When I got into my major course work the classes changed slightly. Instead of just reading and taking tests, they added group work. During my last semester I was taking six classes. Each class had a group project due. Six classes, six groups. Besides the IBUS680 class I talked about earlier, all the group work did was teach us how to divide work and complete our specific parts. They didn't necessarily help me learn or retain the material.

The sports programs aren't very successful and receive very little support. I played soccer and I'd tell people we'd have a game and they'd be surprised to find out we had a team. They'd ask where we played and I'd tell them in the stadium behind the gym. Then they'd be surprised to find out we had a gym. One year we had the best record for our sport in 10 years. We barely broke .500. We were 10-9-1. Every other sport seems to lose more than they win also. From what I could tell, the Greek life is pathetic. There's no row of Frat houses or anything like that. The houses are scattered all over in various parts of the local cities, and it seemed like there was minimal participation. I personally didn't attend any school events besides the ones I participated. I suppose that's part of the problem. I had the same mentality as everyone else. If I wasn't involved with it, I didn't care.

I honestly don't know any of the stereotypes. I'd guess they'd have to deal with how undemanding the school workload is, and how diverse the students are.

Charlie

I really like the actual campus and the classes offered. There are awesome professors that are really attentive to their students' needs. The campus is pretty, in a good location, and for the most part the people are cool. It's a really diverse campus which I feel is only beneficial to your education. Its the kind of school where you can get as much or as little as you want from your education. I don't think there's school pride, but more or less city pride... we take pride in being in San Francisco. However, the administration aspects of the school get a little rocky -- the way we sign up for classes is kind of a stressful process and the administration hasn't necessarily made it any better in the time I've been here.

The campus is extremely diverse. I think its almost impossible to pinpoint one demographic of students. There are all racial, religious, sexual, socio-economic, ages, majors, political groups on campus.

I think the classes are great. Professors really do take time to get to know students and make the classes as interactive and interesting as they possibly can. I've definitely had the opportunity to build relationships with professors so that I could get the most out of the class. Ocean Matt is a great teacher that leaves an impact on his students -- a must for all SFSU students. I've had a few crazy teachers that I could have done without, however without teachers you aren't so crazy about you wouldn't have a sense of just how amazing the good teachers are. Students are certainly intellectual, and take their education outside of the four walls of the classroom, but the students at SFSU also know how to have a good time, which is something that's in abundance in the area. I think people can come to SFSU to get an education with the goal of getting a job, but I think the classes really promote learning for the sake of learning, which is my favorite part of the school.

We're open minded liberal San Francisco types, often times associated with homosexuality, sex drugs and rock n' roll in general. We're all into protesting and being politically active. Then there are some people that think we're not as intelligent because we're at a state school. Then people believe it is a school full of commuters.

Andrew

free gym membership is the best thing, enough sections of each class or larger class sizes so that everyone is guaranteed a spot in the classes they want to sign up for would be something i'd change, size is good, people react when i tell them i go to sfsu the same way as if i would have said any other school, i spend most of my time in my dorm, what college town? never interacted with the admin so wouldn't know, the one thing i think is unusual about sfsu is that the school keeps admitting tons of students even though class sections are decreasing

Linda

SFSU is just the right size; not too big or small. The school reminds me of my old high school, Independence, in East San Jose. Independence was the largest high school in the Eastside district(containting about 5000 students), and the buildings were spread around much like SFSU, except there were only one story buildings. I love how the lake is right next to school, and I actually like the fact that students always walk by my apartment to get to campus across the street. I remember how I use to walk home from my school down the street everyday with my friends, I believe it gives off a good and safe vibe. The only thing I would change about SFSU if I could would be to have free parking, and fix the buildings where they will have less stories; it's a workout everytime I walk up four flights in the Humanities building.

SFSU is just a great school with many things to do. There are posters everywhere alluring newcomers to join different groups and clubs of different activities ranging from politics to acting to dating, etc. There's usually a live performance or band playing at the Caesar Chavez Center, right next to the diner where many people gather to study, eat, or relax. You can look out on the field and witness religious sacraments, or people playing football. SFSU often play historical documents and hold events for civic engagement. There's just so many things going on culturally, historically, and socially that the school easily engages students to interact with eachother and the community positively.

Not really. SFSU has a lot of diverse ethnics and social groups. Some students are international or come from So Cal or different states which creates great variation of character and backround. Students probably party outside of school since San Francisco does have a great night life, but it shouldn't be a generalization. I'm sure there are party people somewhere at any school you find.

Most of my classes are fairly big in size, except for my communications class which I consider to be the best. Class participation is required in all my classes, but I enjoy participating in my communications class the best. I can be shy at times, and communication is great in preparing you to give speeches and stand in front of your piers confidently and comfortably. My teacher, Mr. Bray, is awesome. He allures the classroom's attention in whatever he teaches, engages students in learning activities, and allows students to give eachother and him feedback. His class is a great example of how SFSU is geared for developing productive skills that is necessary outside of school. The learning experience is both fun, and educational.

I don't believe there is a stereotype for only SFSU, but for San Francisco in general. Usually when I tell people that I attend SFSU, people immediately ask if there's a lot of "white" people. People also assume that I only attend SFSU to party, so they believe there are many party goers.

San Francisco State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.