San Francisco, CA
San Francisco State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend San Francisco State University

Andrew

free gym membership is the best thing, enough sections of each class or larger class sizes so that everyone is guaranteed a spot in the classes they want to sign up for would be something i'd change, size is good, people react when i tell them i go to sfsu the same way as if i would have said any other school, i spend most of my time in my dorm, what college town? never interacted with the admin so wouldn't know, the one thing i think is unusual about sfsu is that the school keeps admitting tons of students even though class sections are decreasing

Linda

SFSU is just the right size; not too big or small. The school reminds me of my old high school, Independence, in East San Jose. Independence was the largest high school in the Eastside district(containting about 5000 students), and the buildings were spread around much like SFSU, except there were only one story buildings. I love how the lake is right next to school, and I actually like the fact that students always walk by my apartment to get to campus across the street. I remember how I use to walk home from my school down the street everyday with my friends, I believe it gives off a good and safe vibe. The only thing I would change about SFSU if I could would be to have free parking, and fix the buildings where they will have less stories; it's a workout everytime I walk up four flights in the Humanities building.

SFSU is just a great school with many things to do. There are posters everywhere alluring newcomers to join different groups and clubs of different activities ranging from politics to acting to dating, etc. There's usually a live performance or band playing at the Caesar Chavez Center, right next to the diner where many people gather to study, eat, or relax. You can look out on the field and witness religious sacraments, or people playing football. SFSU often play historical documents and hold events for civic engagement. There's just so many things going on culturally, historically, and socially that the school easily engages students to interact with eachother and the community positively.

Not really. SFSU has a lot of diverse ethnics and social groups. Some students are international or come from So Cal or different states which creates great variation of character and backround. Students probably party outside of school since San Francisco does have a great night life, but it shouldn't be a generalization. I'm sure there are party people somewhere at any school you find.

Most of my classes are fairly big in size, except for my communications class which I consider to be the best. Class participation is required in all my classes, but I enjoy participating in my communications class the best. I can be shy at times, and communication is great in preparing you to give speeches and stand in front of your piers confidently and comfortably. My teacher, Mr. Bray, is awesome. He allures the classroom's attention in whatever he teaches, engages students in learning activities, and allows students to give eachother and him feedback. His class is a great example of how SFSU is geared for developing productive skills that is necessary outside of school. The learning experience is both fun, and educational.

I don't believe there is a stereotype for only SFSU, but for San Francisco in general. Usually when I tell people that I attend SFSU, people immediately ask if there's a lot of "white" people. People also assume that I only attend SFSU to party, so they believe there are many party goers.

Pat

My favorite thing about SFSU would have to be the Rack 'n' Cue poolroom, located on the lower level of the Cesar Chavez Student Center. Other than the game of pool itself, I love how easy it is to meet new people there. I just walk up to a table and ask if I can join in, and more often than not, the person or persons playing agree, introductions are given, and voila! I've just made new acquaintences, and who knows? maybe more. It does cost $7/hr to play though, so whenever I "crash" a table I'm always sure to give whoever leased the table a few dollars for letting me play. If I could change anything about SFSU I'd probably change the size of its campus. It's really quite large! All of my classes are divided into only two buildings, but they're on either side of campus and at the end of my day my feet are killing me! Then again, skateboards, bikes, scooters, etc. are allowed so maybe I should look into that! Whenever I tell people I go to SFSU, the usual reply is a sincere "cool." San Francisco is such a great city that I think people who don't go to school there are genuinely interested/impressed when I tell them I'm a student. I spend most of my time in the HSS and Humanities buildings, but when I'm not in class I'm usually playing a game of pool, or if I'm feeling particularly ambitious that day, in the J Paul Leonard library. San Francisco is not considered a college town by any means. SFSU is primarily a commuter campus, as is UCSF I believe, so no, "what college town?" indeed. Thus far I've only met one administrator, but if he was at all representative of the rest of the admins, then my opinion of them is very high indeed. I'll let you know more about this soon! The biggest controversy right now is probably the projected budget cuts beginning next semester. Lots of classes are going to be cut and it has a lot of people, students and faculty alike, up in arms, myself included. I believe there is a good deal of school pride--I see lots of SFSU sweatshirts and whatnot and people generally seem happy to be there--I know I am. I haven't been to that many college campuses, but I reckon that SFSU having its own bar is pretty unusual. Since this is only my first semester, I can't yet pinpoint an experience that I'll always remember--I'll have to get back to you on this one too.

I've interacted with students of many different ethnicities and cultural backgrounds, and each interaction has been positive. I think extreme conservatives might feel a bit overwhelmed by SFSU's diversity. Many students have their own unique style--there's not a majority of one fashion or the other. Different types of students interact constantly--there's not much alternative, really. Most students are from the greater San Francisco Bay Area. The most prevalent financial background seems to be upper-middle working class. Students are quite politically aware--on the day of the California primary students could be seen with their candidates' buttons and whatnot adorning their clothes/backpacks, people were handing out flyers, and someone is always trying to get this petition or that signed. Predominantly left. I've not heard any students talking about how much they hope to earn.

The demographics of SFSU are quite varied, so it's impossible to pigeonhole any group of people at SFSU, which rules out the 1st and 3rd stereotypes. The 2nd is true however, SFSU has a very culturally and ethnically diverse student body.

Professors don't know my name because I haven't yet introduced myself to them. Classes are fairly large so it's not unusual for a student to go a whole semester without their professor knowing them by name. My favorite course is Humanities 415 (Contemporary Culture.) Professor Steier's lectures are like getting hit in the face with a baseball bat (his words, not mine.) They're very "stream of consciousness" yet at once coherent and poignant. Today he talked to us about Samuel Beckett's "Waiting for Godot" and why it's an uninterpretable work and why he [Steier] is an "asshole" for telling us it's uninterpretable, because in essence he's interpreted it for us...yeah, this course is nothing if not interesting. My least favorite course is probably English 462: 20th c. Lit. Don't get me wrong though, I like this course, but it is my least favorite. Dr. Green's lectures can get pretty dry sometimes, and the authors we're reading right now (Conrad, Wolfe, Joyce, Premchand) aren't my top picks by any stretch. I can't speak for other students yet, but if I'm any indication I'd say students study quite frequently. The workload for 12 units is definitely not light, so at least ~10 hours/week is my estimate. I hear snippets of intellectual conversation every day walking around campus, so yes! The most unique class I've taken is Humanities 415 as I desribed above. My major (for now) is English with a concentration in literature, and so far the department seems quite excellent--the lectures, readings and assignments are all interesting and challenging! SFSU's academic requirements seem very fair to me--not too rigid, not too lax. I'd say the curriculum at SFSU is a good mix of career prep. and knowledge for its own sake.

I can't accurately answer these questions yet, as this is only my first semester, but before it's over I'll have a lot more to say!

To be honest, I haven't heard any stereotypes about SFSU or its student body. Given that the school is in San Francisco though, I'd guess that some stereotypes include, but are not limited to, the following: 1. Very liberal (politically, sexually, etc.) 2. Extremely ethnically diverse 3. Large gay/bi/lesbian population

San Francisco State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.