San Francisco State University

« See more reviews of San Francisco State University

I love the variety of life at SFSU! It is like the city itself...you kind of have to interact. It is hard to ignore the person crammed next to you on the subway train! I like the political hoopla (although sometimes they piss me off when I am feeling moderate). A student really committed to conservative values may feel out of place...if you are not open to people of different races, religions, sexual orientations, and political outlooks you will have a lot of people around to close off! We are a casual urban campus, where you are not going to see a bunch of girls in heels. We are all about stylish coats and hoodies and flats and Pumas and vintage clothes and stuff. On any given day, four tables would be filled with: Asian freshman playing some cool card game I don't even know about, an older twosome discussing a project or the faculty member they are assisting, a louder and more artistic group talking about music or mutual friends, and finally probably someone sitting alone with their laptop or a textbook open while they eat.

The school is extremely liberal and diverse. If you're conservative, I do not recommend this school for you. There are two dining halls on campus along with a bunch of places to grab food. The Dining Center is D I S G U S T I N G. City Eats (sandwiches/salads) is great. Along with the Village Market Pizza. It seems as if kids from Southern California fled to SFSU, though everyone there is mostly from around the State of California. There are a lot of groups on campus, though they don't do a very good job advertising. A lot of groups fly under the radar. Though there is a greek life, there are no greek houses. It's against the law to have more than six females in a house in SF, so no sorority houses.

Students at SFSU come from all over the bay area. some reside near campus but a good majority commute. parking near and on campus is nearly nonexhistant. most people will take some form of public transportation and others will drive in. We have parking lots but when you already pay toll and gas, parking fees are not something you want to incur. Students are diverse. We see retro hipsters who ride there bikes with skinny jeans, their scarves and beanies. Then you've got the majority of people in sweats of some sort because the weather is always chilly. Then you've got the girls who are dressed to impress. What students wear on campus is just variant as the different personalities they carry.

Most people come to San Francisco State not knowing anybody, so everyone is pretty much in the same boat, per se. The campus is extremely diverse - you will find students and professors from every background imaginable. I believe this diversity has helped to foster an openness and amiability that exists across the board between students and professors alike. Speaking from what I have encountered, people have generally been quite kind and it seems that they are always looking to form new friendships. Thus, I would conclude that in our diversity and variety, it is easy for people to make friends.

Being an international business major, I meet classmates from every corner of the world. They are here to make a difference and many have plans to go back home and make changes within their communities with their new found knowledge from SFSU. My classmates are amazing, hardworking people. The majority of them are either paying for college with a job or financial aid as well. This makes them appreciative, but critical in the quality of education they are receiving.

If I were to describe my classmates in on word I would say eclectic. At San Francisco State there is nothing I haven't seen in a student. I feel that the city pulls together such a unique blend of students. There are southern bells, hippie children, rocker chicks; there is truly a little bit of everything here. I love being exposed to all the different types of people. It makes for a very well rounded education.

Many of my classmates are all students worried about their futures. We are all nervous about the economy and the opportunities we may miss out on with todays job market. Unemployment is a scary thought for a lot of us. The students hope that with their continued education they will be able to find a jjob that they can grow into careers and support their families with.

Students at San Francisco State are very diverse. I have classes with students from all over the state, country and even world. Although SFSU has a reputation of being a commuter school, my personal experience has been that a ton of students either live on campus or in the neighborhoods near by. I take the bus to school and it is always packed with SF State students.

SFSU consists of an array of individuals. You will meet people from all over the world and all walks of life. You may sit next to a freshman straight from high school or a mom who has decided to finally go back to school after raising her children. We are extremely diverse. People are very accepting so regardless of who you are you will find somewhere to fit in.

It's certainly diverse. I doubt many students would feel out of place. I think because I grew up in San Francisco and there's such diversity in the city that don't notice much difference. It's very relaxed on campus. Every now and then you'd see students dressed up, but that's mostly because they have a presentation in class or they just came from work.