San Francisco State University

« See more reviews of San Francisco State University

Location! Location! Location! SFSU is a microcosm of San Francisco...large but entirely manageable and filled with all different kinds of interesting people. Most people hear "San Francisco" when I tell them I go to SFSU. The city is supportive of the school, but has far too much going on to be considered a "college town". It is a large state school, but everything for me has always run smoothly. I mostly just hang out at the Cafe by the Humanities building talking to people and drinking my espresso. We are a low key student body. We like our school, but we're not going to be obnoxious about it. Last year, there were some student walk outs to support the faculty in their negotiations with CSU, and even that wasn't too crazy. Protests? All in a days work. I don't know what people complain about in regards to school...usually when I hear someone bitching it is personal.

The school is extremely small and more of a commuter campus. There isn't much school pride or spirit...the biggest sports here are baseball and soccer (though I have never seen a game...). The school sits in the southwest corner of the city and is far from all the city action. Though public transportation is extremely convenient. It's a block away from Lake Merced and a few blocks away from Ocean Beach. It's always colder/foggier at SF State than the rest of the city. Housing is also tough to get so apply as soon as you send in your application for admission. The library is currently under construction so it's difficult to study. There is a library annex that's open 24 hours but it's located in an awkward part of the campus and is extremely inconvenient to get to.

What SFSU is like. If you merely walk around the campus and through the buildings you will realize that it is rather small and that the buildings are rather old. But if you take a second look, you notice there is a lot of character. From the people walking around to the chalk writings on the concrete. You discover new places and things all the time. Recently we had a student walk out in response to the tuition hikes again. This is the second one I have witnessed. Students gather and rally together to protest against the continuous increase in tuition costs at SFSU and lack of improvement. We pay extra every year and classes are being cut at a rapid pace.

The biggest problem in our school would be our funding and our recognition. If we need to change anything in our school, it would be our business program. I feel this school deserves a much better recognition than what we have. Our school board isn't really focus on the students but rather on their salaries and bonuses. It's weird how our classes and our recognition are shrunking while the board gets higher pay every year. There are a lot of other problems like lack of school pride, stduents aren't getting involve with school, and lack of commitment from the faculities. But I feel those are problems that base on our recognition and our funding.

I think that the campus is a bit small compared to other universities, but it is understandable for the amount of land that we have in San Francisco, we can't allot a huge amount to the campus. I like the small size, so that I can take classes back to back and not spend more than 10 minutes traveling to the next building. Most of my time spent on campus are either in the library or ceasar chavez center. There are a lot of events on campus, and the school's pride depends on the student itself, there are about a 50/50 student ratio of school pride, since about half or so are commuters (from what it seems like).

San Francisco State University has brought me much to learn, everyone is mostly on their own. It is hard to communicate with students throughout the campus because everyone is very different. It is perhaps the most diverse University I have visited. I love to see the different cultures and groups. Most of the students are involved on campus wether it is through social media or gaming consoles. It is not such a big campus to get around in, which I personally love because it gives me more of an opportunity to walk up stairs.

SFSU is an average sized campus which has a lot of students enrolled. You would just never realize it. Most people come just for the duration of class time and nothing more. There are a few like myself who are on campus 2-3 days a week for the entire day, with gaps between classes. I generally utilize those times to study. The library has been a common destination for me. I am able to get my work done in a quiet area and utilize the computer labs.

If i had the chance to change, i would definitely choose a different school. We are educated in an atmosphere where most professors do not care much about the students. Classes are extremely hard to get due to the low teacher-student ratio (which gets worse and worse every year). Bottom line...many people expect to graduate from college within 4 years. I would say the average at SFSU is 5 to 6 years.

It's definitely a place to explore academics. It has a lot of classes. Administration isn't the greatest because they are sticklers about prerequisites. The GE program takes up a lot of your units. It's hard that they're cutting down on classes. Class sizes are pretty good. You can get to know a professor easily if you want to. It's in a cool city and close to transportation.

The worst thing is how the impact the school with more and more students without the proper facilities and faculty to accomodate them. Students are finding it harder and harder to get their degree with the constant budget cuts and rise in tuition. It seems like a scheme to keep people in school longer in order for thr school to recieve more money.