San Francisco State University

« See more reviews of San Francisco State University

Before I came to this school, I wish I had known that the school fees would increase significantly compared to the past years. It's difficult for many people because they are struggling financially, and I most definitely would not want to be one of those people, so this scholarship would really help out a lot. Along with the increasing school fees, my parents' salaries are being reduced significantly and I look forward to fulfilling my dream of becoming a pediatrician. Without money to support myself, this scholarship would change everything.

I wish that I had known that this school offered a dental post-bac program and a dental advisory committee. It would have been very helpful in giving me assistance throughout my undergraduate studies. I definitely regret not knowing so. However, I don't regret not knowing because I have learned many things, grown, and became a stronger person as a result of the alternativre path I had taken to get here where I am today. Although, I'm now a few years behind, I'm glad that I have a chance to experience other things and had fun.

I wish I would’ve known that there was not a strong school spirit around San Francisco States athletic teams. San Francisco State is a great school, but it’s a commuter school. I also wish I would have known that there was no football team. I felt the desire to really want to be apart of a school that spent their Friday nights together watching their football team play other schools. This is a very spiritual experience for a lot of students; it’s what brings students together that are from different graduating classes.

In hindsight, I wish I had known the importance of reaching out to other students and staff. It wasn't until my final few semesters that I realized the reward of sharing and expressing my personal goals within my school community. Especially at this particular college, others are extremely open in helping and guiding you through your personal academic journey. Through this collaboration and synergy between students and staff, the sometimes scary and undefined journey becomes a very attainable and rewarding endeavor.

I wish I had known that there is nothing wrong in going to a community college, and that there are so many more scholarships available to high school students then there are to undergraduates. I wish I had known that the SATS are a waste of time, and that seeing a counseler can mean the difference between wasted years and perfect planning. Most of all, I really wish that I hadn't let others decide my future before I had a true say, and that I had thoroughly explored my options before deciding on my path to my career.

I wish I had known what I wanted to major in. When I got to SF State, I started off majoring in Creative Writing. I soon realized I did not need a major to learn how to write fiction, and I had no idea what job I could get with a Creative Writing degree besides writing stories and novels. I switched over to Journalism, which I enjoy and have also discovered I could put my creative writing skills to use. However, because I took so long figuring out what I wanted to major in, I will take longer to graduate.

Well, I havent attended yet so I cant answer, but I can answer about my previous school which was a JC. I would say to stay focused on school only, if your going to college to be social, hang out, etc. well, you better rethink your priorities. College shouldnt be a social extension of High School, it should be a place to further your education, to prepare yourself for life and what it has to offer. Study study study. Dont fall behind, if you do youll be in big trouble trying to catch up.

I wish I knew about all of the requirements needed to graduate. San Francisco State University has many different segments which are clusters of classes needed to graduate from the University. When talking with my friends, they are usually shocked to hear how many classes I need to take in general education to graduate from San Francisco State. Students at San Francisco State tend to find themselves remaining longer than four years, because of all of the requirements.

I wish I would have had a better handle on what I wanted to do. I also wish I would have had a better idea of how to pay for school ahead of time. I ended up changing majors which delayed my graduation. I am still trying to finish up the last few required classes, but since I am supporting myself, I had to take some time off and attend part time in order to afford to go. After high school it seems like they just dump you in the world with no crash course for college.

I wish I had known more about the different art majors. At SFSU we have both a Broadcasting major and a Film major and I was not aware of the difference until I started going to the school, which meant I had to change my major my sophmore year. I also wish I would have known about life outside of campus more, although discovering things about the city on my own and with my friends has been quite a journey.