San Francisco State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for San Francisco State University

San Francisco State is truly place where you find yourself and allows you to explore different cultures and people. The people here are not afraid to be themselves and know when to fight for what is right. Not only is the camps very liberal and open minded, but the city is as well and has a very united front. The professors at SF State, for the most part are always available and willing to help out their students with their path to their careers. There are also many events the campus has, although I do wish they would broadcast them a bit more so everyone know about them. All in all I do not regret choosing this school to attend and I truly considerate it my home away from home.

Jherlyn Crystle

This university is a good place; many of my high school teachers were actually alumni from SF State and were some of the best instructors I've ever had. I usually feel very safe on campus; classmates are usually friendly and there is a variety of clubs and organizations to join if you know where to look. However, the school could find ways to provide more guidance and encourage students to go to academic counseling or host more workshops that would be beneficial to all students. It is common for students to change majors a few or even several times, but one must be proactive in knowing/looking up which classes to take for graduation completion. Many of the courses I've taken here, especially the Ethnic Studies and Humanities ones have given me different perspectives, allowed me to explore my own identity more, and overall have been quite life-changing. The school is wonderfully diverse, and I find that most students are very open-minded in the classroom. My only complaint is how overcrowded the library can get during the week, but that can't really be helped. While it is difficult to make friends for some folks due to it being a commuter school, there are opportunities throughout the year to meet with people, attend fun shows/events, as well as engage in social activities and interact with members of the school community.

Maria

It is a great school. If you make friends you are bound to have fun. There are more then enough people for you take some. There is always something to do, being in the city. They have name clubs and the occasional on campus concerts. The people are nice and open minded, no one cares what you wear ow what weird things you might do, they accept you.

Karlee

Honestly, the school is beyond amazing. Its in a perfect location, the people are studious and the travel abroad program is astounding. Its beyond incredible to be able to work towards gaining a career all while having fun and being in the perfect location while doing so.

Darien

I believe SF State is a great place to get your education. There are great professors that care about your education and the atmosphere is awesome as well. One of the downsides is that SF State is packed and there are some popular classes or programs that are highly impacted. Other than that everything is great, including the diversity and culture of the University. One of my favorite things about this school is the school library located in the heart of campus.

Sofia

Though many people will say that SFSU is no longer a commuter school, I beg to differ. As a student, I found nights to be only populated by the Vilmar and did not enjoy walking around campus at night because I did not feel safe. During the weekends, if you want to go to a party, you either take muni or go to Park Merced and go to a party that would be shut down really quick because there are also residents living in those houses. I enjoyed City Eats food more than others because when I visited other schools I found that City Eats had healthier food that was made with more effort (it wasn't slop). I mostly came home every weekend to Bay Area unless I was working or made plans with my roommates to explore the city. Exploring was my favorite part about attending SFSU. My roommate and I walked everywhere and only relied on Muni to take us on a 30-minute ride to downtown or for a quick stop. The mall was very handy at times but the Trader Joe's food went bad very quickly. SFSU is definently for students who like the small campus feel that is very diverse and who likes to be on the outside of town. Not having a huge advertisement of the sports at the school really broke me down and the school spirit was definitely lacking. The professors I had were very helpful and caring, however when it came to big lecture hall classes I found that I could learn the material better on my own if the teacher hadn't put questions from class time into the test. Overall, my time at SFSU was just as clouded and dark as many of the days in the outside of the city.

Tricina

I will be attending SFSU in the fall but from what I have from current students, SFSU is a great school academics-wise and is big on getting involved in extracurricular activities. The off-campus life can be a bit challenging since the cost of living is a very high demand, but you get your bang for your buck so to speak.

Liberal school.

Nancy

Love it! There are not a lot of things I would change, overall the school is nice. We're in the city, so there is a lot to do. On campus housing is nice because you get to meet lots of people. It is a really big campus so there are a lot of services for students whenever they may need them.

Rocio

Professors are willing to help and always make sure students comprehend the lesson. There are a lot of clubs and programs to join on campus. Tutoring services are also offered, which is a big help to students. Overall, it is a good academic atmosphere. Faculty and staff really try to cater towards the students needs. The only down fall is the lack of some film classes such as: color grading, lighting and production design.

Melinda

So far, it is a pretty nice and open school. I met a couple nice people in my classes. There aren't too many things to do, but there is a mall the next block over from the school to shop and buy food. Other than social life, which is kind of dull, academic wise it is okay. I learned quite a lot already and I'm making the most out of it.

stephanie

San Francisco State University is my first choice to go to college. When I got that acceptance letter I felt amazing. Once in campus well is really green and the library is big. There many organizations around campus that students can join in as well as clubs and spots.

Andres

San Francisco State University is a quiet school. It is interesting because people out here are very outgoing but at the same time reserved. In the beginning, it was a tedious adjustment, and creating social connections with others was difficult. Despite this, there are a lot of social events and thanks to this, I have been able to make some amazing friends and acquaintances over the past year. Another factor that contributed to a greater sense of comfort in the school would be the intramural sports team the school allows with the Mashouf Wellness Center. I have been able to make great companionships with fellow athletes who share similar passions with me. I am also a part of the Intervarsity Christian Fellowship organization at SFSU. The school offers an abundance of clubs as they usually set up in the quad to recruit students. The atmosphere of the campus, the excitement and educative aspects of my classes, and the connections I have made with students as well as with the staff are all things I cherish about my university. Of course, with all the ups that college brings, there are also some downs. San Francisco State has not been its kindest to me. It was hard coming into the school because I was homeless when I first arrived due to the impacted housing the school offers. Once finally being able to move into the dorms it was difficult to pay for it all.

Lorena Raquel

It is a very important university

stephanie

I personally love the school because they have many programs that help you in your classes and help you with what you want to do in school and help you on what classes you should take so you can be help in life and take the major that you want to major in so there is not a lot of stress on you than there already is with school work and just work in general.

Umar

It is a good school that offers a lot of facilities to get ahead for your career path. For example, it has a career services center that provides guidelines for creating an excellent cover letter and resume. It also has an excellent library where many students spend a great amount of time studying.

Karina

San Francisco State University was not my first choice of school when I applied for college. I made up my mind to attend SFSU because it was from enough away from home but close enough not to miss it so much. I was not too sure what I was in for to be frank but I'm extremely happy I enrolled to find out. I found San Francisco State University to be built as community of accepting humans. I discovered it to be a magnificent University that stands for all it's righteousness beliefs. It's a school that embraces world awareness and cultural diversities. SFSU is a school that welcomes protests as long as those involve stand for a pure and passionate purpose for change. In my opinion, my school is an amazing University not only for its beauty, but for all the students that convert their educational facility into a welcoming environment for all who step foot in it.

Alize

I love San Francisco State University and it was good experience for me. Though it is kind of pricey. The city overall is expensive so if you are financially good then this school is right for you. Academically, the school is good. The classes and instructors are very nice.

Allison

SFSU is a great school. The campus is beautiful and has a nice atmosphere. The classes are interesting and very involving, plus theres a lot of cool things for people of color or first generation students. Overall it is a great school but the housing kind of sucks, it isn't well maintained and its overpriced. Plus the food is gross.

vanessa

I personally enjoy this school, I have had good luck with my classes and professors so far and have met amazing people. If you have a positive outlook on this place and your education, you will love it very much. For living on campus, I also think the size of campus is very appropriate because everything is an easy walk.

Mary Joy

If you are the type of person who likes cool weathers and not really into sports, then this is the place for you. I love the diversity here and how people are very sociable around here. But on weekends, you should expect everyone going home since it does get quiet around here. Also, I want to appreciate the school for its education. As much as I have experienced in my first year, there are most teachers here who actually try to help their students succeed. Those teachers make the courses fun that makes students want to actually go to class everyday. There are a few teachers who don't try much which makes you have to discipline yourself to self-study. There are a few party scenes at the dorms and off-campus. However, if partying in the dorms, it is a bit risky since the RAs (Resident Assistance) walk around the halls if you're music is on blast. My experience here has been really eye-opening and breath-taking as a freshman. It makes me reflect on myself and await for the near future.

Kevin

There's a lot to love about SF State. It's located in a vibrant and diverse city with plenty to do outside of school, tuition is relatively cheap, etc. However, it's not without its compromises. Living in or near the city can be pretty expensive, there's not really much to do on campus because most students are commuters, and the sports culture is pretty much non-existent. Despite that, SF State is still a good choice for people who just want to get their degree and get out. It's nothing special, but it will get the job done, assuming you're not in an impacted major. Good luck getting your classes if you are.

Christina

San Francisco State University is extremely diverse. There are a bunch of sweet conversational people around. As a psychology major and a communicative disorders major, many class are only offer at night which is sometimes inconvenient . But overall, its a good campus.

Jen

FFFRRAANNNNDD

Mesoma

People live all around the bay so we don't linger around campus when we're done with classes. Many people here are thinking about transferring.

Niyati

San Francisco State University is an alright school. It has its pros and cons for sure. For one thing, it is located in one of the most diverse cities in the country. There is always something to do. On the flip side, the school itself seems a little run down despite the brand new gym facility that just opened this past fall.

Kristina

San Francisco State is a very welcoming campus, it is also mainly a commuter campus because the housing costs are so expensive, I love my classes I feel like the teachers are very down to earth and understanding. At San Francisco State students are encouraged to join clubs, sports, and get involved, the campus itself is also very nice there are a lot of options to go get food and the scenery is beautiful with a big lawn that people lay on when it get's hot and lots of flowers and trees. I enjoy going to San Fransisco State, one downside may be the cost of living and the weather is very gloomy at times. If you live in the bay area it is a great choice if you also want to live at home and take bart. They make it easier for commuters by giving you a clipper card with a 50% discount. Overall, SFSU is a great choice and one of the best schools in the bay area.

Ivana

Academically I've had some great professors and encountered times where my limits were pushed to achieve success but the institution falls short on its community factor. While clubs and other factors are available to students the commuter expect ruins the attempt of finding togetherness.

Karina

Overall the campus is nice! Many places to go off campus as well with a nearby mall half a block away and a grove just 2 blocks away! The people there are amazing as everyone seems to be nice and willing to speak. Most of the classes are engaging and leave you with lessons which you can use in your everyday life.

Esi

Its a nice commuter school. The weather sucks but the school is a nice school. Its great for academics, clubs and organizations, and the arts and media. If you want a sports school this really isn't it when it comes to football. Basketball games are cool but the school is really known for the creativity through arts and cultural organizations

Michelle

I great school and a grater city

Adedoyin

Coming to San Francisco State University has made a more independent student, I have grown and learned a lot. The teachers are one of the greatest people, they genuinely make sure you understand the concept and want you to pass. The overall environment of the school is phenomenal, you are able to make friends where you can focus together with school and still have fun on the weekend.

Janine

There are some great professors and like any institution there are some horrible professors. advising can be a hard task here as well. getting mixed information seems to be a trend. capping classes when super seniors are waiting to take classes they need... ridiculious

Asia

San Francisco is a good school day to day, but overall has every student doubting how long they'll be there. The academics are hard to prioritize, when you don't feel prioritized. Average graduation time is after 5 years. That statistic doesn't help students stay motivated.

sylver

I love the diversity of people on campus!

Edgar

San Francisco State, is a great diverse liberal school that offers great programs and degrees to help students find future jobs, and also help students be aware of social issues locally and globally . However, living in San Francisco tends to be very expensive making college students constantly worry about their rent and finances.

Destiny

San Francisco State is full of excitement and opportunities. Such as the city itself and the resources all over campus. The school also has one of the best tutoring programs. SFSU students and professor are very opinionated minded and support many groups in the area.

Beatriz

A counter-culture school with a liberal mindset San Francisco State is a haven for millennials. Arriving on campus, you immediately see college kids in street style reminding you that you need to catch up on tumblr fashion. While the students have an aesthetic, the university is in need of makeover. It is a small campus probably due to being a commuter campus for Bay Area residents. Sadly, it is on the outskirts of San Francisco and much nearer Daly City yet makes it slightly more affordable. The professors give you an education but do not go out of their way to make it challenging. It is a commuter school so not much school spirit, but the city is a muni ride away and full of adventures.

Annette

I think SFSU is a great university to attend. My major is Africana Studies and I love my department. The professors are great teachers and the learning experience is amazing. I love the atmosphere of my campus and the resources that are available to students.

Kyle

My time at San Francisco State University was mostly spent on making sure I would be graduating in four years. As a result of this deadline, I didn't spend much time with extracurricular activities like clubs or sports. I still feel like I made the most of my time.

Sir Parnell

It is a good place to attend, especially if you're into Social Justice as well as seeing the first Ethnic Studies university in the United States.

Marcos

A good academic school, but pretty bias when it comes to politics and sports events are not a big thing. I think we need a football team that would hype people up to support sfsu. But overall a good academic school from my experience, the facilities/ classrooms are good and the academies like Metro really help students too.

Evelin

I love the campus, the education, and the vibe. A lot of us are aware of the situations of the country and we do what we can to help make change. SFSU was what began that spark in me. I love it, the only thing I would change would be to incorporate more professors and add more classes.

Alexis

To be very honest, there is a reason I am transferring. If you want the typical college experience; football games, parties, greek life, this is not the place for you. Yes, there are some occasional parties and no, that is not what college is all about. But let's be real. College students want to party occasionally (if it is legal). There is no football team and school spirit is definitely lacking. There is some greek life but a majority of students don't join and the frats and sororities are often smaller groups. This is a commuter college; there is not very much happening on or near campus during weekends or evenings. Don't get me wrong! I love living in San Francisco and there are some amazing faculty members who are willing to teach and help their student in every way that they can. However, I am looking for a real college experience and this is not it.

Mary

I enjoy the campus immensely! There is a ton of classes to choose from and the campus is beautiful with all the nature spots. There are frequent busses running to the campus from bart making it very convenient for people who commute like me. Overall , my time there has proved informative and ethereal:)

Michelle

My overall opinion is that being here you meet many students who are “grab life by the nutsack”. But speaking from a WOC this school is very focused on LGBTQ and Asian students. On campus housing is not so good as well the RA’s I’ve encountered love their power over residents.

Aleksandra

San Francisco State University is a great multicultural university that provides opportunity for students to grow and gain skills for their future profession. The campus is conveniently located and has a lot to offer for young and older students. The faculty is helpful, understanding and teach well.

Justine

The environment is welcoming and supportive. You have people there that cares about your education as much as you do,they want you to succeed! The transportation there is easy and you even have a mall with other stores around it,just across the Thornton Hall.

San Francisco Stat University is a good school if you have the money to pay for it. While it advertises it's student body diversity, racism is still an issue within the University. The school has NO MONEY to give and struggles a lot to get some and where to spend it on for the school. Dorms are outdated, buildings should get some sort of structure check to them and the housing department needs to step up their game and request more housing. SFSU is accepting students without having the resources needed to attend to all the students they are bringing in. There are some good professors, but the professors choose to teach at other facilities for extra income and sometimes talk against the lack of attention from their department. If these things are fixed, SFSU would be a good school. Their campus is beautiful on the outside and their Cesar Chavez Student Center has a beautiful roof access to students with an amazing view. Would not recommend my children in the future to attend this school having me lived it and called my parents crying because the school was not giving me aid because they don't have enough to offer to everyone.

Natalie

San Francisco State University (SFSU, also known as "State") hosts an extremely diverse student body that is dynamic and motivated to learn. There are many amazing professors who are approachable, intelligent, and supportive of your academic and personal journey. It is important to note that SFSU does not provide an insulated community on campus and, depending on your perspective, this is either an advantage or a downside. The biggest asset of SFSU is its location in the San Francisco Bay Area, a hub of innovation and industry, and the university blends into the surrounding urban area. You will not experience the same container as you would in a smaller college town. There are great pockets of community if you seek them out. San Francisco State University is an excellent place to become politicized. San Francisco is a wildly social justice-oriented place, and SFSU is home to the first college of Ethnic Studies in the nation. If you attend SFSU, I highly recommend taking at least one Ethnic Studies class. SFSU is all about finding your niche. On a campus this diverse, seek out your interests and you will find like minded people. It will be your responsibility to find your community but at this campus, the world is your oyster. Enjoy!