San Francisco State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for San Francisco State University

brenda

I like San Francisco State. It's easy to get there, plus there are many activities to do around sf state. Like the lake, Stonestown Mall, etc. I have been a visitor there for so long, since my freshman year and hopefully I get to be a student attending San Francisco State.

Devin

My opinion of the school is it is a great school. It has amazing academics and has a great reputation with it's programs and foundation. San Francisco State has been a big influence in the the nation with it's protests for ethnic studies shaping schools standards. It has a great sports programs which I love specifically wrestling since I am a wrestler. The environment and atmosphere is amazing with its diversity and ability to please people's individual needs.

odalis

San Francisco State University is actually the best thing that has happen to me. They help you out so much and also you never feel alone because they are everywhere and also they will help you through it all while you're here. their programs here are truly the very best theirs like so much to do at SFSU. Go Gators!

Lindsay

Overall, I love San Francisco. The dorms aren't very nice, the bathrooms and amenities are dirty and old, and the buildings could use maintenance. SFSU is an old university and it is so hard to get the classes you need because there are so many students and not enough classes. That is why it takes 5-6 years to graduate. There is not much greek life and the students are not really active and seem quite socially awkward. I am ready to graduate and I am only a 3rd year and I am anticipated to graduate in 2019 rather than 2018.

Jorge

At San Francisco State University its not like any other typical state university, where you just got to school for another 4 years and party at times. The experience at this University is unique because its in San Francisco ans since its S.F. you always have somehere to go after you class/ clasess have finished there wont be one day where you will get bored since S.F. just has so much to offer from the diversity in the food and the areas such as Japan Town and the Mission area. S.F. has one of the most diverce cities that youll alwasys meet new people from different areas around the world. Its a good school with a variety of strong departments, its a great school and highley recommend.

Alyssa

I really like the community, everything was a little overwhelming at first, but I quickly adjusted. Students can get involved, but I still feel a little intimidated. I think that the campus is really accepting of everyone, no matter the gender, age, or sexuality. There are a lot of resources that can be used, it's all just a matter of finding them and utilizing them.

Victoria

So far, San Francisco State University has been very welcoming and helpful to transfer students such as myself. Specifically through emails and phone calls. They're always on top of their emails and the admissions operators are such sweethearts who have the patience of an angel, especially when I ask the dumbest questions.

Emma

Overall I really enjoy attending SFSU. The campus has included a lot of greenery, which is perfect for enjoying campus activities and doing homework outside. The campus facilities are some of the best of any school I've gone to. I like the online resource site, most of the classrooms, I love the library, and the wifi is pretty amazing. There is also a lot of diversity in local and international students, as well as campus clubs. The one complaint I have about SFSU is the lack of good grocery stores. The food available on campus can be really corporate and fast food like, and the university is not located centrally in town, so there aren't a lot of healthy options.

Nelson

there are many activities going on in school and places to let time pass while being active as well as places where you can get some quiet time if you need it. overall it's a good school that provides students with a variety of resources and programs for students. The faculty, including counselors, teachers and any other members of the ​faculty are very engaged with students.

Olivia

I had a really good experience at SFSU. As a transfer student from a CC that wasn't able to afford a private university or UC, San Francisco State was a great fit. I was pleasantly surprised to find very friendly students and helpful professors. The school has a reputation for being a commuter school - many students do commute to the campus and there isn't as much on-campus activity as there are at some other schools. But it's not like you really need it or miss it - San Francisco, Oakland and the greater Bay Area are RIGHT THERE! As with any situation, what you invest and how you approach people will create your experience. I loved my time there!

Alina

Students encourage each other to move forward and come together as one to show everyone that we stand with one another. No one is left behind, the school is very accepting of others. It’s always amazing to meet new people from all over the world and see why people choose to come to SFSU.

Dustin

While I'm only a first-year student, I have some things to say. The use of grad teachers can vary as one of my teachers can actually teach a subject they love while another cannot even accurately use analogies. The food around campus is worse than food at regular restaurants...to be expected. The people around campus are generally very friendly and don't get into your business. There is a lot of inefficiency with the budget such as a year-around (not summer) Clipper card for busing costing $180 dollars in the tuition. The bathrooms have pewbs everywhere. There is a lack of seating indoors in public places such as the library. There's also the fact that commute times are horrible due to Muni delays. That's Muni though. The school is easily accessible and may only take about two weeks to get used to. There's a variety of clubs, frats, and sororities. You can join all of them due to a class-action lawsuit against SFSU. So there's that. There's a population of 54%+ population of females there also. SFSU doesn't focus on any major (other than maybe psychology) so you can truly find yourself there. There's even people openly doing drugs in their apartments for parties if you want a small aspect of party life. Have a nice day. I would overall rate this 8.5/10 so far.

This is my first year going here and hopefully I like it.

Jonathan

I love it here, there is so much to do around the campus, and everyone here is so nice and genuine. The food on and off campus is amazing anywhere you go, and you can always find an affordable meal. The housing around and on the school is superb, and affordable for almost anyone.

Daisy

SFSU is a great school where you will feel welcomed. There are many things to do around campus and you would be able to meet many new people and accomplish great friendships.

Larin

I really like it here. Everyone is so politically active and friendly. The school is enormous with so many students but even in big lectures the professors make sure you know about their availability and office hours so you can get the help you need. There is also numerous tutoring and help programs available. The area is very nice and the campus is beautifully too.

Daniela

I will be attending San Francisco State University and honestly when I had first seen it, I have to say I automatically fell in love with the campus. The campus size is perfect and it is pretty easy to know where the library, shops or classes are at. When I had first gone, everybody was very friendly and honestly, they have so many things in store even though the housing is a bit expensive in my opinion. Overall, I think the atmosphere is very warm and friendly, plus they have many classes and different buildings for the majors you would like to be in.

daisy

overall, San Francisco State University is a great school because everyone you meet is extremely passionate about something they believe in and everyone enjoys each other and the environment. people are very easy going and all staff and teachers and students are friendly and enthusiastic.

Edgar

I really like the environment and the academic life at San Francisco State University, although I had problems when it came to enrolling into courses. I wasn’t able to enroll into Pre-Calculus my first year due to my low ELM scores, for my counselor slightly aided me but couldn’t do much. I enjoyed most of the courses I took during my freshmen year, most of my teachers tried to add their own flavor to grab the students attention. Though some were successful in trying this, some were not. This happened in a class I took, where the teacher failed to enlighten his students and many dropped out for that reason. I wish my school was more my spirited, for my school is a commuter school, so a lot of student leave after they finish their classes; so there is no real connection between the school and students. Most of the school’s events are hardly advertised, so a small amount of students would attend them. I was in that small amount, for my residential advisor was extremely spirited and notified everyone she knew about these upcoming events. Another issue I have is that my school charges the students a lot for housing, tuition, food, etc., but do not use that money to repair or remodel the buildings in the campus. I have seen a lot of buildings that still need serious repair or remodeling. I overall enjoy being a student at SFSU, I learned a lot my two years here. I was able to find a well-paying job all on my own, I had really good grades, and I befriended a lot of people. Plus the school is super clean, and are trying digitize all text books for easy access. I am looking forward to my junior year of college and the things to comes.

Suzanne

San Francisco State University is a pretty good school. It definitely has one of the best Women and Gender Studies programs in the state if not the country. The program is very focused on transnational feminism, which is awesome. The school more generally could be more interesting, more progressive, more accessible, etc. but those things could be said about any school. For the amount of funding it has, I think SFSU is doing pretty well.

aliza

I loved my time as a student at San Francisco State University. This is a very diverse campus. It is relatively small, but it is filled with big thinkers. The professors are caring and the advisors for academics and financial aid are easily accessible to all students. They also recently updated their gym facilities, and they provide many health services for their students. Their a large community right beside the campus that caters to the housing needs of students, so that they can be close to school without having to live in the dorms. There is an extensive transportation system in San Francisco that allows students to easily commute from all parts of the Bay Area. This is a great campus for people, who are interested in the arts and humanities!

Mai

So far honestly everything is fine! Sucks part is if you have terrible roommates its goin to be a long year.

Maria

I love this school, everything about it is so nice. I love the campus, the people, the activities, the food, everything. I also like how there are stress relieving activities, like bounce houses and dog petting. Professors are also very easy to reach whether it is through office hours or email.

Aaron

I’m so glad I made the choice to come here. Everyone can fit in.

wayne

The campus is beautiful and breath taking, and the students who attend are known for their passion. It’s amazing how the community in and out of the university is so involved and always searching for the better of their own lives and society’s. I feel as if the alumni of SFSU are the trailblazers of modern day society from the news given through their student portals.

peter

I love it, i am completely excited for attending college. Especially at San Francisco state university! I know i could fit in perfectly with the atmosphere and the culture of the city. The only bad thing is the wait list for me, it takes absolutely forever for me to get room, but i suppose that's okay. Overall SFSU is a dream school for me

San Francisco State is a wonderful school due to the staff and facility members because they're quite friendly and always accessible. I'd say it's a commuter school, so it might be a little hard to create friends; only time would be if you join clubs or organizations or during class time. We have a little piece of culture in our cafeteria from Indian to Mexican food, that's the best part! I'd say it needs more school spirit though!

Austin

In my opinion San Francisco State University is a consistent school. You know what your gonna get out of it and you know what to expect. Although the school lacks in places to eat on campus, if you walk a block or take a bus down more into the city theres endless food and shopping options. The professors are nice and caring about their students and always want to see them succeed. My take on SFSU is that it is a great learning and living environment to grow in.

Mackenzie

I love the campus and every individual on it. when you live on campus you feel like you're part of a huge community and support is abundant. everyone is trying to help with classes and personal lives and it's honestly so nice. RAs are amazing and so incredibly helpful.

Alexandria

It's a good fit for many people, but that's not the case for me. It feels as if San Francisco is openly welcoming to people of color and LGBT but if you don't fall into those categories they don't care about you. The teachers are great and know what they are talking about so academia wise it is great but social it's a bit harder to get out there and make friends.

Alexes

It is a very welcoming environment and much to do in the city. The teachers are very inspiring and helpful when students need it. There are many groups and opportunities for almost any interest. I enjoy SFSU, it is just so expensive to stay more than one year.

Guadalupe

SFSU is a pretty good school for those who wish to be independent and want an easy going campus life. There are parties to go to if that is your thing and if you don't want to go party then that's good too. You can find all types of people to befriend. Also, if you're LGBTQ+ and are tired of having to be in the closet, then this would be a good school to attend. It is a very accepting campus community and has a good amount of organizations and clubs to join.

Lydia

I believe San Francisco State University is a wonderful school for students who are willing to put in work for their experience. Unfortunately, we are a commuter school which makes making friends outside of class difficult. There are a number of clubs, organizations, and events put on by the school that most people don't take advantage of, but I highly recommend using the resources given by the school. Academically, I've never experienced any other college so I only know SFSU. The professors are generally very helpful, at least in the film department. I've only had to crashes classes a couple times in my four years, and I'm graduating "on-time." There are many people I know that find getting into classes difficult and a handful of people who graduate in more than four years. Despite the delay in graduation, I think every college struggles with that problem and SFSU should not be ridiculed for it. San Francisco State University is a great school that brought me out of my comfort zone socially, academically, and culturally. I'm glad I chose SFSU as my college!

Georgina

San Francisco State is a great place to find yourself when one is looking for a new breath of fresh air. In the City, there is plenty to do and explore (making it more of a commuter school.) It's quite a small school considering as well. You have all walks of life roaming campus. There are some issues one may have with the staff/policies but we work together in order to get through it.

Ivy

San Francisco State University has many things to offer a student in terms of academics, activities, clubs and more, but like many universities out there, it will relentlessly beat you like slave. In the many cases of when the school will abuse your butt is when you are unprepared for what is to come. Similarly to real life, the professors, faculty, etc. will care about you and your situation, only when you have shown them that you care and will put the effort and work to make your situation a better one.

Caitlyn

I have enjoyed my time and recommend the school. Go to your teachers' office hours and do the readings. I have noticed that in all of my classes, both my major classes and upper division GE's, attendance is important to the teachers. The experience will be what you make of it.

Alyssa

I went to visit the campus a couple of months ago and got a tour. It was a beautiful campus. I enjoy San Francisco city and I'm excited to be attending San Francisco State in the fall. The people are super nice and so is the campus, I excited for all the opportunities to come with attending SFSU.

Britney

I believe that it is a great school, it is very nice and safe there. It has a great amount of things going on while I visited the school to be able to get an idea of how campus life will be like if I was to attend there. I’m glad that I went to visit and see how it was, I really liked the school and knew it was going to be a great fit for me and I’m glad that I committed to that school and will be attending to go there in the fall semester of 2018.

Nashanta

San Francisco State University is a great school for journalism students worldwide. The program is intense, and a lot of students don't make it and switch majors. Those of us who complete the program have all of the tools needed to go into the industry. Campus life is active and open to all ideas and passions. There are sports teams, but they don't generate much buzz on campus.

Javier

i visited the campus on an open house as and it is a very friendly environment. I felt very welcomed and everyone was so helpful. The scenery was very beautiful. The science building could use some touching up since it is old but everything is welcoming. The campus visit drew me in and made me want to attend.

San Francisco State University is very nice, and I'd recommend more people to come here. Although it wasn't my first college choice, my decision to come here was a good one. The professors are helpful and kind, and are fair on their grading. The student body is welcoming and actively participates in many different societies on campus, and still continues to invite many more people to join in various activities. For those looking for the performing arts scene, the School of Music is wonderful, and the professors eagerly welcome student participation in the various ensembles here. Overall, the campus is lovely, the students are welcoming, and the educational experience you'll get is very helpful and well-tailored to whatever you decide to major in.

amber

I think it is a wonderful school with great opportunities that gives multiples of choices in terms of majors/minors. I have gained many great friends along the way since starting, and I find the community is very driven to achieve their individual goals.

Nina

San Francisco State University is a place full of intelligent students that one-day will make a change in this world. Sadly, there are many things that the school should pay more observant too. An example can be the food places on campus. There should be more variety in the cafeteria, and it should be available to students whenever. Many students study late at night, but there is no place open for them to get food. Another thing the campus should pay more attention about is that they should invest on making the campus brighter at night. When students walk back to their dorm at night, the campus is really is really dark which make us seems scared about our safety. SFSU is a decent school with little things that can be fixed and I myself feel safe at SFSU.

Ashante

I personally love the school. I've met some amazing people and experienced a lot of growth because I went to this particular school. SF state is a school that is memorable because of the level of intelligence it exudes-- one year at SF State has taught me more than my 12 years in the public school system combined. I learned about culture, religion, music and pretty much everything I have ever wanted to know. But, I think the best thing about San Francisco is the people. I have so much love in my heart for my professors and the potential life-long friends I have met. Being in SF has allowed me to further my education in all the right ways, and has definitely molded me into a better person. I enjoy the welcoming environment and I am proud to call myself a Gator.

Kaitlyn

San Francisco State University is a safe place where you can do whatever you want and go to different places around the campus. Overall it has many resources that we can seek help and ask question about the different programs that they offer to us and everyone is friendly and nice.

Calvin

I think it's a fine campus with great professors and a comfortable and welcoming environment. However the people here are just…dumb and the classes are usually made to match that level. There are no honors programs for me to join and no challenge at all. If I could get into a more difficult college I would gladly transfer.

Isabel

San Francisco State University is a good school from what I observed when I visited there. They have a lot of shops and little food places which I enjoyed. Another thing they have is a health and wellness center which is important for students in order to relieve their stress. Lastly, they have many different majors to choose from.

Tatyana

So far, I love it everyone is so friendly and building community is really easy. Teachers are always available to help and will reach out to you if you're struggling. Living on campus and attending class has taught me the importance of taking education by the hand and prioritizing your time efficiently .

Kalok

It is a great school with an excellent learning and proactive community. It is very ethnically diverse. San Francisco Stat University encourages participation in various activities such as Greek. It is also very accepting of various sexualities and religions. I like Sf state because encourages individuality.

Wendy

Professors are very passionate and want their students to improve. I have not had a professor who I have felt as if they didn't want their students to pass and understand their course. The downside of the University would be how expensive it is, I had to move out of the dorms due to it being so expensive.