Pasadena, TX
San Jacinto Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend San Jacinto Community College

Kristine

APPLY FOR SCHOLARSHIPS! Even though there's going to be essays at least try to apply! As for your major, plan out what requirements are needed, and what classes you will be taking. It's important that you take the right classes, and stay away from classses that aren't required for your transfer to a bigger university in the later year. Another advice is to not procrastinate, and to start getting into a routine habit of beginning things right away instead of doing it last minute. If you spend more time on your work your grade will reflect the amount of effort, and it will also show your professor how much you care for your education.

I don't have anything bad to say about my school. I have thoroughly enjoyed being a student at San Jacinto. The teachers are fantastic at teaching, and the students I have met are great.

As a first year attendee at San Jacinto, I have not found anything frustrating about my school.

jarrod

Specifically about college transition I would tell myself to enroll and try to take college courses while I could. Graduating with credits is a huge advantage compared to starting fresh and not being used to the workload. A lot of college students have this issue that I have come across and that is stressing and not getting enough sleep. I would let myself know it is ok to have fun and don't think it's a bad thing to go out and breathe a little bit. The last thing you want is to have a breakdown or have an overload and where I can't perform. The flip side of that is giving yourself enough rest. I know how I am and I wake up early in the morning and forget to go to bed at a decent time; so getting enough sleep at night would be something I would tell myself. The brain works so much better!

small campus, the people the go there are not active and social

Luis

I is known for great courses, cheaper tuition, and convenience.

I is known for great courses, cheaper tuition, and convenience.

College was a major wake up call for me. When I was in high school, the courses were fairly easy. However, that completely changed when I started college. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that I need to study a lot more. I would tell myself that I should have taken a physics course so that I would not have much difficulty with Physics 2425 and Physics 2426. I would also tell myself to become a lttile more open minded when it came to speaking with others. I would have been able able to ask for help when I really needed it. Overall I would like to tell myself to not give up when the road gets tough and ask for help when I did not know how to solve something.

I think the professors are the best thing about my school, becuase they are very knowledgeable and very helpful.

Kendra

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself how to balance everything. If I wasn't being lazy, I was working way to hard and no matter what I was stressing myself out. I would tell myself to care, but not kill myself over every test, lab, or homework assignment; to not procrastinate like my friends did; to sleep more and take better care of mself. I had a bad habit of just allowing myself to run on autopilot and it took awhile for me to remind myself that I will have a lifetime of things I can put on autpilot, senior year isn't one of them. That is the year you make your biggest memories not the year to overwork yourself.

Jason

I wouldn't neccessarily say San Jacinto College had a sterotype. It is known for a wide range of diversity as a matter of fact, in regards to age, race, personality, and culture.

John

Luckily i have had the opportunity to take classes at all three major campuses. San Jac is constantly building or repairing something on campus. they place the Library at the center of all their campuses literally. the classes are just right at an average of 25 to 30 per class. and the professors are understanding of life affecting students. many are willing to work to help the students achieve. I cannot say that there is a lot of school pride except in the athletic departments. The majority of students i have talked with are there to finish their degrees and move on.

San Jac is always in growth or repair modes. the campuses are laid out like a typical university with walk ways between buildings that are at least 2 stories tall. some buildings are more utilitarian than others. many are over 50 years old.

What are your classes like?

the classes are about 25 students, and a very knowledgeable professor who has had real life experience with the topic they teach on.

Phi Theta Kappa is probably one of the more prominent groups on all 3 campuses. there are no dorms on campus but there is housing just off campus. this is not a party campus.

there is no typical student at san jac. I have had classes with retired pro football players and classes with recovering drug addicts. I have been in classes with openly gay individuals and people of amish beliefs. black, white, brown, yellow...san jac is a Crayola box of ethnicities and tolerance toward all. as long as you are there to study and are pursuing your degree you too are the average student.

Most professors know their classes by name by the 4th week of school. the standard for 3 hrs in class you will spend between 3 and 6 out of class studying is still in effect. many classes encourage participation. I currently hold two Associate degrees from San Jac. one in computer science and one in biology. every professor i have had has worked in the real world doing something in the field that they are teaching in. My Computer networking teacher had a day job with the Harris Co crime lab as a network admin with 15 years experience on the job. and my Biology teacher was a neuro-pathologist studying brain wave patterns for over 20 years. This style of education is geared toward not just getting a job but developing study habits for while you are on the job.

San Jacinto College is a true mix of a variety of individuals from a variety of walks of life and ethnicities. I have had classes with students that are 16 all the way to 60 and from a variety of backgrounds. Its a place where you don't have to "fit the mold" to get in.

E-sha

One thing i really like about San Jacinto is that is very student orientated, they are always sending out emails telling us about school activitves that are going on around school. The Professors that I have taken, have all been really great and really love what they are teaching, which than helps the student learn. Spend most of my free time which is inbetween classes is in the student center where most of the activity are held plus the food is in that building and all my friends as well.

One main thing prosepective students want to know is am I just a number to my teacher or does he really know my nam. Well at San Jacinto College the Professor all try hard to learn the students name. My favorite class I took was Microbiolgy and Pathology, the lab part is what i enjoyed the most because it was very hands on we were always doing experiments. Education is key at this school they provived free tutouring and labs to help students if they are struggling. Also the school has college transfer days and job fare days as welll.

Nina

School serves a diverse ethnic community with programs ranging from vocational to professional, giving students from all walks of life and all economic status' a quality eduaction.

When I was a senior, I made every mistake. I went to a wonderful school, and had opportunities. That is 18 long, arduous years ago. Now 35 years old, I have since learned a wealth of life lessons. The obvious lesson is that out in the big bad world, life beats you up and you need a degree to open doors to happiness. My advice to myself would be to have focused on what I was doing at that time, and not have waited until later in life when it is more difficult. If too much time passes, you can find yourself in a situation such as me, where you are mother of a toddler working a commission job. I would have told myself how precarious that is, and how I would always wonder where the next commission would come from. Also that the smarter route would be to do it at 18, living at home sans bills. Additionally that it in the end, it will still be OK though because at 35, I am an even better student, with a 3.9 GPA. Honestly, at 18, would I have even listened to my older self? Who knows!

I like the flexible schedule allowing students with family and work responsibilities to still be able to achieve a higher education.

Rebecca

Our School is best known for its nursing program.

Our School is best known for its nursing program.

There is nothing I could tell myself. I know that I am in my fourth year at a community college by the first two years helped my find who I am I would not have found that out without maturing by discovering what makes me who I am. No amount of explanation to a younger me who have made since at that time.

Worst thing about my school is getting correct information to the students. I can't find simple information I'm looking for such as how to apply for graduation. Councelor also give music sudents the wrong class information.

San Jacinto Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.