Pasadena, TX
San Jacinto Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend San Jacinto Community College

Brandon

I would tell myself to concentrate a little more. I was young and naive my senior year of high school. All I wanted to do was to relax with all my friends who I would never get to see again. Little did I know I would make new friends at new places. I did take my academic career easy my senior year. I would mention that working harder, putting in the extra twenty minutes of studying for that spanish exam would as a result, pay off tremendously. I would also have beat myself up senseless. Going from elementary school to junior high was great. Everybody was friendly and it didn't matter whether you had glasses or not. But in high school, it seemed that if you didn't play sports or listen to a certain kind of music, you were considered an outcast. I myself lost a few great friends I would do anything to have back, all because of superficial purposes. I would have told myself to go against the grain and forget about what everyone else thinks because you will never see more than 90% of them again. 5

San Jacinto College has allowed me to expand my knowledge greatly while opening my eyes to the real world. If you're a big party goer, this college is not for you. The majority of the students are travel studen, meaning most live in the surrounding area and drive to and from school each day. The time is spent in the class and following, most students travel home leaving little time for social gatherings. San Jacinto does have a friendly envirnment with many opportunities to meet people, yet with no fraternaties or sororities the main focus is school.

One of the more frustrating areas is the way teachers teach you. I attended a University last semester and the style of teaching is completely different. If wanting to transfer to a four year institution, a little extra work is needed in order to be able to adapt to the Universty style teaching.

Sylvia

My classmates are very young and are determined.

My classmates are very young and are determined.

If I could go back and advise myself I would emphasize on "no breaks". Senior year is the time for decision making, what do I want to be in the future? Set goals and push yourself to make them reality. Register for college before you graduate and do not waste any time. It is extremely hard to get back in the routine once you have a family and commitments to more people than just yourself. Don't take the easy way out with shorter programs. Now is the time to complete your goals.

A person who lacks determination, ambition, and self control should not attend this school. College is a privelage and should be used for educational purposes not as a social hang out.

Giovanna

My classmates have always been a diverse group from young to old, starting to restarting their education, and nationalitys from all over the world.

San Jacinto College is best known for the variety of programs offered to students. I have repeatedly encountered that San Jacinto's faculty and staff throughout the campus are more student oriented than various other colleges.

My advice to myself if I was to go back in time would have to be to focus more on my studies. To be aware of the blessing in it self to be able to have an education. Mainly to take my time in finding what would be best for me as an individual in the form of career choices. To not be scared or shy to ask questions when it came to my future. Also to never live easily through comfort but to challenge myself mentally, so that I could someday be immensely grateful of the mental strength received and walk proudly as I am called at graduation.

Joanilys

Classes at San Jacinto are alot smaller and they dont have more then 20 students in each class.The other colleges i considered in highschool were alot bigger and consisted of more then 5o students in each class.. San Jacinto professors are able to give you more one on one time and focus on your weakest and strongest points in the subject.

If i could back in time and give myself one advice for my college career would be learning to mange my time. Time mangement has been one of the most difficult things i have struggle with so far. Keeping your social life and school work away from each other is a strong key point in being a successful student. Having a planner or a to do journal would be helpful with keeping your self on track and reminding yourself of what you have to accomplish before you can continue with your social life.

Frustration is really about how you handle things and how you organize yourself in school. If you prepare yourself for class and keep your self organize there shouldnt be anything frustrating about school.

Elisa

San Jacinto is a small, community school that is truly dedicated to helping students who wish to learn become the best they can be; where the teachers care so much more about their students' success than about their income and are willing to help the students to the best of their ability.

Keep doing what you're doing; you're on the right track. Don't try to do too much like you did this year, you'll learn from that anyways, just like I did. Also don't stress too much about your four AP exams, your time is better spent studying, apparently most colleges don't even accept two AP credits for the same course subject (English Composition and English Literature) even if they are both fives. You didn't get two fives, that was just to emphasize my point. Enjoy being in Anime, Earth and Math club, college clubs aren't like high school clubs. Minus the clubs, college is almost exactly the same as what you're doing this year so you don't have to worry too much about transitioning, the work load and adjusting in general.

I love how friendly and committed the teachers are. For example, when I was taking a full load of fairly hard courses, I couldn't afford to get behind at all. At one point I was struggling, but I e-mailed a few of my teachers and they helped me, in person, trying to change the method of teaching until I finally understood it.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I now know about college life and making the transition, I would give myself three advices. One, Apply for more scholarships because every penny is going to count when one book alone can cost hundreds. Two, do not procrastinate because deadlines will slip by so fast and you will miss them. Last, relax because as long as I really want to be in college, I will make it.

The low cost is the best thing about San Jacinto College. The prices for tuition and fees are comparatively lower than the other colleges in the area. For students like me, who are paying for college and do not want to take out loans, an affordable college that still offers a excellent education is important. San Jacinto College offers a great education, while remaining incredibly affordable.

The parking is by far the most frustrating thing about San Jacinto College. There is not nearly enough parking for the large amount of students and faculty at San Jacinto College.

James

San Jacinto College, opening in 1961 with its headquarters in Pasadena, Texas, serves seven different school districts in the greater Houston area, has three different campuses (North, South, and Central), offers a wide variety of Associate degree programs, and has a select number of extracuricular sports teams that play in the National Junior College Athletic Association.

I would tell myself to think long and hard about what I want to study, focuse on school work, and study, study, study.

Rain drainage in the parking lots are horrible.

Tania

San Jacinto really caters to their students. I have never attended any other college but I feel I would not be treated as well. I believe that I why I have been attending San Jac for so long!

If I could go back in time! I say that to myself quite often. I would have taken dual credit courses in high school to advance in my college basics. That would have really helped in getting to know the college and how their courses work. I would have also made sure I would have taken atleast 12 hours each semester, no breaks! After high school the first things seniors want to do is take a break from school, but that is a big mistake. You begin to get lazy and once you start to college you take less hours because you don't want the pressure of doing more school work. If I would have done it back then I would have been completed by now. You never know what life will bring so take advantage of going to school when you have the time. You have to really push yourself to accomplish what you dream. It just would have been easier for me as a single jobless senior, than as a married mother with a full time job.

The only thing I do not like about San Jacinto College is the fact that they do not offer Fashion Design courses. Aside from that, I think it is a great college and I have enjoyed attending on and off for 10 years.

Tracey

Looking back to previous experiences, I would definately like to have changed my procrastination in high school. Although I was intelligent and turned in my assignments with flying colors, most of the time, I would wait until the last minute to get it done. At the time, I felt as if studying or getting assignments done ahead of time did nothing to keep the information in my head, therefore, my only option was to do it a couple days before the due date. As a result, I ended up pressuring myself into doing well which I thought would encourage me more into doing my best but in the end, my full potential was not seen in my eyes. Even though I graduated in the top 10% with a 3.98 GPA, I always wonder what my standing would have been if I put in all my effort in everything I did. Yes, I was smart, but college allowed me to realize that I am way better than being a lazy slacker.

The best thing about my school are the professors and events. Although many people think that community colleges don't give valued education, I disagree for the fact that you are in a comfortable environment without the intimidation that university classrooms provide. The good thing about community colleges are that they are cheaper than universities yet they provide great knowledge, activities, clubs, and opportunities that you should have. My college has given me experiences that have honestly changed my previous thoughts about community colleges.

I think that overall, if you are the kind of person that doesn't take care of business or doesn't take things seriously, you should not attend my school. The employees make sure to take action whenever you don't meet standards. In the end, it's you choice to pursue further education, so if you truely don't want it, then you shouldn't go in putting in half of your effort.

Rachael

Decide what you want to do with your life before you start your freshman semester. It will make choosing classes and everything else so much easier, but don't be forced to major in something you don't want to do because you'll be miserable in the classes.

The best thing about my school is the the work is on the college level and is challenging in a good way.

The worst thing about my school is that most of the students don't take their education seriously and the professors don't try to make them show up and at least try. It's like being back in high school.

San Jacinto Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.