Pasadena, TX
San Jacinto Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend San Jacinto Community College

John

Luckily i have had the opportunity to take classes at all three major campuses. San Jac is constantly building or repairing something on campus. they place the Library at the center of all their campuses literally. the classes are just right at an average of 25 to 30 per class. and the professors are understanding of life affecting students. many are willing to work to help the students achieve. I cannot say that there is a lot of school pride except in the athletic departments. The majority of students i have talked with are there to finish their degrees and move on.

San Jac is always in growth or repair modes. the campuses are laid out like a typical university with walk ways between buildings that are at least 2 stories tall. some buildings are more utilitarian than others. many are over 50 years old.

What are your classes like?

the classes are about 25 students, and a very knowledgeable professor who has had real life experience with the topic they teach on.

Phi Theta Kappa is probably one of the more prominent groups on all 3 campuses. there are no dorms on campus but there is housing just off campus. this is not a party campus.

there is no typical student at san jac. I have had classes with retired pro football players and classes with recovering drug addicts. I have been in classes with openly gay individuals and people of amish beliefs. black, white, brown, yellow...san jac is a Crayola box of ethnicities and tolerance toward all. as long as you are there to study and are pursuing your degree you too are the average student.

Most professors know their classes by name by the 4th week of school. the standard for 3 hrs in class you will spend between 3 and 6 out of class studying is still in effect. many classes encourage participation. I currently hold two Associate degrees from San Jac. one in computer science and one in biology. every professor i have had has worked in the real world doing something in the field that they are teaching in. My Computer networking teacher had a day job with the Harris Co crime lab as a network admin with 15 years experience on the job. and my Biology teacher was a neuro-pathologist studying brain wave patterns for over 20 years. This style of education is geared toward not just getting a job but developing study habits for while you are on the job.

San Jacinto College is a true mix of a variety of individuals from a variety of walks of life and ethnicities. I have had classes with students that are 16 all the way to 60 and from a variety of backgrounds. Its a place where you don't have to "fit the mold" to get in.

E-sha

One thing i really like about San Jacinto is that is very student orientated, they are always sending out emails telling us about school activitves that are going on around school. The Professors that I have taken, have all been really great and really love what they are teaching, which than helps the student learn. Spend most of my free time which is inbetween classes is in the student center where most of the activity are held plus the food is in that building and all my friends as well.

One main thing prosepective students want to know is am I just a number to my teacher or does he really know my nam. Well at San Jacinto College the Professor all try hard to learn the students name. My favorite class I took was Microbiolgy and Pathology, the lab part is what i enjoyed the most because it was very hands on we were always doing experiments. Education is key at this school they provived free tutouring and labs to help students if they are struggling. Also the school has college transfer days and job fare days as welll.

Nina

School serves a diverse ethnic community with programs ranging from vocational to professional, giving students from all walks of life and all economic status' a quality eduaction.

When I was a senior, I made every mistake. I went to a wonderful school, and had opportunities. That is 18 long, arduous years ago. Now 35 years old, I have since learned a wealth of life lessons. The obvious lesson is that out in the big bad world, life beats you up and you need a degree to open doors to happiness. My advice to myself would be to have focused on what I was doing at that time, and not have waited until later in life when it is more difficult. If too much time passes, you can find yourself in a situation such as me, where you are mother of a toddler working a commission job. I would have told myself how precarious that is, and how I would always wonder where the next commission would come from. Also that the smarter route would be to do it at 18, living at home sans bills. Additionally that it in the end, it will still be OK though because at 35, I am an even better student, with a 3.9 GPA. Honestly, at 18, would I have even listened to my older self? Who knows!

I like the flexible schedule allowing students with family and work responsibilities to still be able to achieve a higher education.

Rebecca

Our School is best known for its nursing program.

Our School is best known for its nursing program.

There is nothing I could tell myself. I know that I am in my fourth year at a community college by the first two years helped my find who I am I would not have found that out without maturing by discovering what makes me who I am. No amount of explanation to a younger me who have made since at that time.

Worst thing about my school is getting correct information to the students. I can't find simple information I'm looking for such as how to apply for graduation. Councelor also give music sudents the wrong class information.

Brandon

I would tell myself to concentrate a little more. I was young and naive my senior year of high school. All I wanted to do was to relax with all my friends who I would never get to see again. Little did I know I would make new friends at new places. I did take my academic career easy my senior year. I would mention that working harder, putting in the extra twenty minutes of studying for that spanish exam would as a result, pay off tremendously. I would also have beat myself up senseless. Going from elementary school to junior high was great. Everybody was friendly and it didn't matter whether you had glasses or not. But in high school, it seemed that if you didn't play sports or listen to a certain kind of music, you were considered an outcast. I myself lost a few great friends I would do anything to have back, all because of superficial purposes. I would have told myself to go against the grain and forget about what everyone else thinks because you will never see more than 90% of them again. 5

San Jacinto College has allowed me to expand my knowledge greatly while opening my eyes to the real world. If you're a big party goer, this college is not for you. The majority of the students are travel studen, meaning most live in the surrounding area and drive to and from school each day. The time is spent in the class and following, most students travel home leaving little time for social gatherings. San Jacinto does have a friendly envirnment with many opportunities to meet people, yet with no fraternaties or sororities the main focus is school.

One of the more frustrating areas is the way teachers teach you. I attended a University last semester and the style of teaching is completely different. If wanting to transfer to a four year institution, a little extra work is needed in order to be able to adapt to the Universty style teaching.

Sylvia

My classmates are very young and are determined.

My classmates are very young and are determined.

If I could go back and advise myself I would emphasize on "no breaks". Senior year is the time for decision making, what do I want to be in the future? Set goals and push yourself to make them reality. Register for college before you graduate and do not waste any time. It is extremely hard to get back in the routine once you have a family and commitments to more people than just yourself. Don't take the easy way out with shorter programs. Now is the time to complete your goals.

A person who lacks determination, ambition, and self control should not attend this school. College is a privelage and should be used for educational purposes not as a social hang out.

Giovanna

My classmates have always been a diverse group from young to old, starting to restarting their education, and nationalitys from all over the world.

San Jacinto College is best known for the variety of programs offered to students. I have repeatedly encountered that San Jacinto's faculty and staff throughout the campus are more student oriented than various other colleges.

My advice to myself if I was to go back in time would have to be to focus more on my studies. To be aware of the blessing in it self to be able to have an education. Mainly to take my time in finding what would be best for me as an individual in the form of career choices. To not be scared or shy to ask questions when it came to my future. Also to never live easily through comfort but to challenge myself mentally, so that I could someday be immensely grateful of the mental strength received and walk proudly as I am called at graduation.

Joanilys

Classes at San Jacinto are alot smaller and they dont have more then 20 students in each class.The other colleges i considered in highschool were alot bigger and consisted of more then 5o students in each class.. San Jacinto professors are able to give you more one on one time and focus on your weakest and strongest points in the subject.

If i could back in time and give myself one advice for my college career would be learning to mange my time. Time mangement has been one of the most difficult things i have struggle with so far. Keeping your social life and school work away from each other is a strong key point in being a successful student. Having a planner or a to do journal would be helpful with keeping your self on track and reminding yourself of what you have to accomplish before you can continue with your social life.

Frustration is really about how you handle things and how you organize yourself in school. If you prepare yourself for class and keep your self organize there shouldnt be anything frustrating about school.

Elisa

San Jacinto is a small, community school that is truly dedicated to helping students who wish to learn become the best they can be; where the teachers care so much more about their students' success than about their income and are willing to help the students to the best of their ability.

Keep doing what you're doing; you're on the right track. Don't try to do too much like you did this year, you'll learn from that anyways, just like I did. Also don't stress too much about your four AP exams, your time is better spent studying, apparently most colleges don't even accept two AP credits for the same course subject (English Composition and English Literature) even if they are both fives. You didn't get two fives, that was just to emphasize my point. Enjoy being in Anime, Earth and Math club, college clubs aren't like high school clubs. Minus the clubs, college is almost exactly the same as what you're doing this year so you don't have to worry too much about transitioning, the work load and adjusting in general.

I love how friendly and committed the teachers are. For example, when I was taking a full load of fairly hard courses, I couldn't afford to get behind at all. At one point I was struggling, but I e-mailed a few of my teachers and they helped me, in person, trying to change the method of teaching until I finally understood it.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I now know about college life and making the transition, I would give myself three advices. One, Apply for more scholarships because every penny is going to count when one book alone can cost hundreds. Two, do not procrastinate because deadlines will slip by so fast and you will miss them. Last, relax because as long as I really want to be in college, I will make it.

The low cost is the best thing about San Jacinto College. The prices for tuition and fees are comparatively lower than the other colleges in the area. For students like me, who are paying for college and do not want to take out loans, an affordable college that still offers a excellent education is important. San Jacinto College offers a great education, while remaining incredibly affordable.

The parking is by far the most frustrating thing about San Jacinto College. There is not nearly enough parking for the large amount of students and faculty at San Jacinto College.

San Jacinto Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.