San Jacinto Community College

« See more reviews of San Jacinto Community College

I would tell myself to concentrate a little more. I was young and naive my senior year of high school. All I wanted to do was to relax with all my friends who I would never get to see again. Little did I know I would make new friends at new places. I did take my academic career easy my senior year. I would mention that working harder, putting in the extra twenty minutes of studying for that spanish exam would as a result, pay off tremendously. I would also have beat myself up senseless. Going from elementary school to junior high was great. Everybody was friendly and it didn't matter whether you had glasses or not. But in high school, it seemed that if you didn't play sports or listen to a certain kind of music, you were considered an outcast. I myself lost a few great friends I would do anything to have back, all because of superficial purposes. I would have told myself to go against the grain and forget about what everyone else thinks because you will never see more than 90% of them again. 5

Assuming i had a time machine i would be a very happy person for other purposes, considering forshadowing college transitions I would tell myself not to get in any financial contracts, from car payments to cell phone payments. Falling into these contracts lessens your college choice mobilty and decreases your finiancial budget for college, something that is never a good choice. Along with this I would tell myself to fill out every possible scolarship and financial aid application in site, this will increase the oportunity for a free ride through your first years of college. Along with planning for a less stressfull financial college future I would tell myself that attending a less prestigious community college will not lessen my opportunity for a successfull future, it might be a smart choice in an outstanding financial strategy for completeting the first years of college. And last i would tell myself to have fun and enjoy myself as a college student because it is going to be the best years of my life.

When I was a senior, I made every mistake. I went to a wonderful school, and had opportunities. That is 18 long, arduous years ago. Now 35 years old, I have since learned a wealth of life lessons. The obvious lesson is that out in the big bad world, life beats you up and you need a degree to open doors to happiness. My advice to myself would be to have focused on what I was doing at that time, and not have waited until later in life when it is more difficult. If too much time passes, you can find yourself in a situation such as me, where you are mother of a toddler working a commission job. I would have told myself how precarious that is, and how I would always wonder where the next commission would come from. Also that the smarter route would be to do it at 18, living at home sans bills. Additionally that it in the end, it will still be OK though because at 35, I am an even better student, with a 3.9 GPA. Honestly, at 18, would I have even listened to my older self? Who knows!

Where would the world be without second chances? Whenever a mistake is made, there is often an opportunity to right it. Sometimes though, there isn't the chance for a redo, more often than not, you have to live with your decisions and move on. If I could go back to my senior year with the information and experiences I have now, I would tell myself that it's okay to not have all the answers all at once. I would let myself know that even though you're not sure what you want to do with your life it doesn't mean the world is going to pass you by. You can take time to think about things and just slow down. Even though everything is going to feel like it's coming at you at once, it's okay to just take a breath. Unfortunately, this isn't possible, there is no redo. All I can do is take that advice and make sure to apply it to my life now. Hopefully I'll be able to look back in two years and know that I won't need a do-over.

If I could go back in time! I say that to myself quite often. I would have taken dual credit courses in high school to advance in my college basics. That would have really helped in getting to know the college and how their courses work. I would have also made sure I would have taken atleast 12 hours each semester, no breaks! After high school the first things seniors want to do is take a break from school, but that is a big mistake. You begin to get lazy and once you start to college you take less hours because you don't want the pressure of doing more school work. If I would have done it back then I would have been completed by now. You never know what life will bring so take advantage of going to school when you have the time. You have to really push yourself to accomplish what you dream. It just would have been easier for me as a single jobless senior, than as a married mother with a full time job.

Looking back to previous experiences, I would definately like to have changed my procrastination in high school. Although I was intelligent and turned in my assignments with flying colors, most of the time, I would wait until the last minute to get it done. At the time, I felt as if studying or getting assignments done ahead of time did nothing to keep the information in my head, therefore, my only option was to do it a couple days before the due date. As a result, I ended up pressuring myself into doing well which I thought would encourage me more into doing my best but in the end, my full potential was not seen in my eyes. Even though I graduated in the top 10% with a 3.98 GPA, I always wonder what my standing would have been if I put in all my effort in everything I did. Yes, I was smart, but college allowed me to realize that I am way better than being a lazy slacker.

Specifically about college transition I would tell myself to enroll and try to take college courses while I could. Graduating with credits is a huge advantage compared to starting fresh and not being used to the workload. A lot of college students have this issue that I have come across and that is stressing and not getting enough sleep. I would let myself know it is ok to have fun and don't think it's a bad thing to go out and breathe a little bit. The last thing you want is to have a breakdown or have an overload and where I can't perform. The flip side of that is giving yourself enough rest. I know how I am and I wake up early in the morning and forget to go to bed at a decent time; so getting enough sleep at night would be something I would tell myself. The brain works so much better!

If I were able to talk to myself in high school again, I would tell myself not to listen to the counselor that told me my test scores were too low and to not even consider going to college. With her telling me that, it crushed my dreams of going to college. Then 6 years later I started going to college to better myself. No one ever said school was going to be easy, but if I would have went against the counselor's remarks I would not have given up in school. Because of her telling me that, I just stopped caring. My test grades slipped. I never attempted the SAT, because in the back of my mind, were the little words, I'm not good enough. Well I showed her, I am now in college, and pursuing my career! I will graduate college if it's the last thing I do.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior, I would tell myself to take more math classes and to take AP classes. I would tell myself to apply for many scholarships and to not miss any deadlines for college applications. If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to dump that loser I was dating because he will cause you to lose focus on school. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior I would tell myself to join more clubs and learn to be a part of a group, instead of being a loner. Unfortunately I cannot go back, so I will finish my education and pass my knowledge to my children so they can have a great college experience which will then lead to a good life for them.

Keep doing what you're doing; you're on the right track. Don't try to do too much like you did this year, you'll learn from that anyways, just like I did. Also don't stress too much about your four AP exams, your time is better spent studying, apparently most colleges don't even accept two AP credits for the same course subject (English Composition and English Literature) even if they are both fives. You didn't get two fives, that was just to emphasize my point. Enjoy being in Anime, Earth and Math club, college clubs aren't like high school clubs. Minus the clubs, college is almost exactly the same as what you're doing this year so you don't have to worry too much about transitioning, the work load and adjusting in general.