San Joaquin Delta College

« See more reviews of San Joaquin Delta College

Everyday, I look in the mirror wondering if I could have done something different in my life. Having to leave a university because of money problems was a bad feeling enough. The times that I want to say to my high school senior self would be more motivating than anything that I have ever heard before. The first piece that I would say to my younger self is to not be a fool. It sounds great that you want to go to a university directly out of high school, but if you can see what your life looks like right now, you will see that it is probably the worst decision you have ever made. Because of the money that you lazily neglected to search for, you are now in a community college and are way behind in your work. Everyday you hear your friends talking about how great their universities are and how great college life is. Even though your family says everything will work out, you still beat yourself up everyday because of that one decision. You really should have started at a community college first and finished at least your associate's degree first.

Listen up, Past Self! I don't know if you can fathom this, but your Delta College GPA is more important than you know. In other words, don't skip out on that Art History paper in Ms. Barrows' class that you were practically born to ace! Also, don't make the fatal mistake of confusing Beethoven with Bach in the presence of Dr. Bowen--he WILL fail you, and it WILL set you back quite a bit. It would be wise if you took more time to work on scholarships, and I'm pretty sure that if you tried hard enough, you could handle a part time job. That money you COULD be currently earning and saving is the only thing holding you back at 20 years old. If you were smart, you would take it upon yourself to begin learning German, because if you got that head start, we would be studying the history of visual culture in Berlin right now. Realize that UCSC is where you belong, and don't waste time with other schools. You have lots to do, so get crackin'! Oh, and one more thing: LOSE THAT BALL AND CHAIN BOYFRIEND OF YOURS!

Do not give in to high school senoritus! No matter how well you have done the first three years, if you slack off, even after getting accepted, they can turn you away. Senior research papers in particular can not be shrugged off. Also; apply apply, apply for scholorships. Even if you decide to go to a community or junior college, a money buffer becomes badley needed with the purchase of books and the looming approach of a four year school. Related to that is the pursuit of community service. Yes it's a pain. It feels nice to help the environment or less fortunate people, but it feels better to watch TV, right? Know that doing a bit of extra service for the community opens up many oppertunities you wouldn't otherwise have for scholorships and internships. So with that in mind, the warm fuzzy feeling from helping the environment feels just a bit better knowing that the time you volenteir out dorrs is infact a potential couple hundred an hour in school money....potential being the key word.

I waited until I was 27 to go to College. Admittedly, my reluctance to go to college had a lot to do with the social anxiety that I experienced in high school and my inability to work within a highly structured environment. If I had known how different college life would be, I would have went to college immediately after high school. In college you are actually treated like an adult, you are responsible for showing up and studying. You aren?t being forced to do things and disciplined for not doing other things. This treatment makes you think about your progress in terms of yourself and what tangible effect it has on your future. College campuses embrace every type of life style and culture. There are groups and organizations of like minded people, making it easy to fit in. High school has fewer social outlets and creates stress for those who feel left out. If I knew how different college would be as high school senior, then I would have been a lot less apprehensive about going.

As a senior in high school, it is vital to keep your head in the game. You are allowed some fun, but absolutely no room to slack off on school. With your extra time, get a job and save up! This will be tremendously helpful when you're in college. You can use the money toward books and college supplies. Also, think about your future and what you might like to pursue as a college major and possible careers. This will help gear you in the right direction when choosing classes and extracuriccular activities. Don't think of your next step to a community college as a step down or a relaxation period. You're grades and dedication is just as important there as it is in high school. Again, maintain a job and keep up your grades upon transfering. Think of your two years at Delta College as a mid-step and it is helping you save money so you can transfer to a university of your choice. Delta College is a strong choice on your part so remain focused and determined. You'll do just fine.

Looking back now, I didn't know much back in high school. I worried so much about insignificant things and knew so little of what my future had in store for me. The piled up expenses, the countless study hours, and the worried thoughts of trying to figure out what you want to do for the rest of your life. I didn't think it would be so tough, I wasn't prepared at all. Looking back I wish I was more informed, more prepared; that I already knew what I wanted to do in life and how exactly I was going to get there. Though it may look scary now, don't be afraid. While it may seem others are passing you by, don't fret, as long as you perservere you will get there too. Just do your best, make good choices and learn from your mistakes. I know it wont be easy but someday in the future, you will look back and see how far you've come. Years may pass and friends may come and go, but you will never forget all the memories, good and bad. Its your life, be ready, and take the leap.

If I was able to go back in time and talk to myself as a High School Student I would have told myself many things I did not realize before. I would tell myself that in High School everything is given to us without a problem and without a cost and that I must take advantage of that. I would tell myself the classes, assignments, and teachers are a lot easier to deal with than in college, and for that I must excel in everything. I would also tell myself that the change from being a High School student to becoming a College student is very drastic and I would have to start prepairing myself for the changes that were to come. To start a savings account to help pay for my expenses and possibly begin the search for a job. If i was able to talk to myself knowing the things I know now, my college life would be a lot easier, therefore if I come across the opportunity to talk to a High School student and tell them everything I just mentioned I would do it without a doubt.

If I had this opportunity I would give myself quite a bit of advice, but these two would be the most influential. My first advice would be towards applying to colleges. It would be not to hold back and be afraid of the outcome or the future. Also, to think of it as a new adventure. I'd give myself this advice because I held off applying for the main college that I wanted and I didn't get in because I waited too long to submit my application. It is one of my biggest regrets in life, but you can only move forward. My second piece of advice would be, even if you lose one dream, don't stop dreaming! Dreams change, life changes, and a person does change. After everything changes, life goes on. It doesn't stop, no matter how horrible things get. Continue on and see what life has in store, it just might be a surprise. It was for me, I never thought two years ago of even considering be a Baker. Five months from now I will be working towards that and I can't wait.

If i had the opportunity to go back in time and talk to myself in high school i would definetly do it. I would tell myself that i need to pass all of my classes and try to take any college courses that are available. This would be the main advice to myself because classes and class materials such as textbooks are very expensive. The opportunity to get college credit is available at most high schools and it should be taken advantage of. At the time i was in high school I did not realize how much even going to a community college would cost. Now that i am attending it is fusrtating that i have to retake classes because i did not pass with an acceptable grade. Spending some extra hours doing work and studying is worth not having to take the entire course over. It would be amazing to have the ability to go back in time and do things right. Unfortunetly, we cannot, which is why i would recommend that high school students do their best and challenge themselves.

Claudia focus forget about social life. Forget about fitting in and hanging out if you could only see out of all those friends who stuck through now you would be so ashamed of yourself. Education is power and all it takes is passion to recieve it. I understand 6 am is not exacly the time you want to get up but if you only knew how much that little differance of getting up everyday will make. I know you are going through very tough times right now getting pregnant at age 15 having a mother who is not so fluent in english. You feel alone you feel like this maybe is not for you, trust me it is you are going to be a strong women out of all this and this will only make you that much stronger dont give up on yourself and dont be scared to take that extra step it will all be worth it someday. It will be you one day sitting in the office of a CEO you will be your own manager you have so many plans for yourself now its just the time to fight for what you want.