San Jose State University

« See more reviews of San Jose State University

As the California budget cuts have affected the schools and communities in the East Bay, San Jose State University is one of those schools. Due to the budget cuts, classes have been getting filled faster and with more students trying to add classes they want, students have been failing to do so from lack of room. To summarize, the worst thing about San Jose State University is the lack of classes available for eager students to add the classes they want due to budget cuts, and furlough days where the faculties get "days off" due to budget cuts.

For me the college experience has been great because I live in a sorority and am close to other on and off-campus housing. What is unfortunate is that most students commute and miss the real college experience. The real college experience is achieving some independence by living away from home and having others to share that with. The 2 years I have lived here are memorable and I have experienced my greatest growth as a person. I have gained confidence and learned to trust and like myself. I am now more prepared for the world after college.

i Hate the quality of advising because they focus on getting you to graduate instead of finding something that really makes you happy doing and pushing you towards that goal. Due to budget cuts and IMPACTION and my GPA i had to drop from Civil/Environmental Engineering(which i LOVE and expect to go back to once i become financially stable) and go into a major that supposedly "closely related". Although i made the change of major in a matter of seconds, being in Manufacturing Systems major is not bad and enjoy the "hands-on" teaching method.

The worst thing about my school is the administrative faculty. Those that work in specific departments tend to not want to waste their time on you or your inquiries, and do so in a rude manner. The main administrative building for the school which houses everything from academic advising to the the bursars office. You can spend an entire day being sent from one office to another because they can't help you, only to end up back in the very office you were first sent, and leave with only a headache and more questions than you came in with.

The school I go to is brilliant. I love the campus for what it is, but aside from the pressure with paying textbooks, tuition, transportation, and class limitations (especially this semester's school budget issues), I believe things get only better once the student pushes himself to a limit of motivation, and balancing to keep up with school work. The challenges faced with financial struggles of family members, transportation, and school is tough, because they all create a huge impact on the student's performance in school.

The worst thing about my school is definitely the price to attend here. As in all state universities, we are victims of budget cuts, furlough days, and rising prices and fees in all areas, such as housing and tuition. It isn't tight that we are paying more for less education. It is like we are being played by the system. Many students are forced to drop out because of the increased prices and in the future, makes it more difficult for them to transfer or obtain a degree from a more prestigious college.

This school is suppose to be a four year institution but instead it is turning into a five year institution. Less than 20% of the students graduate in four years. Students in the animation program are expected to graduate in 5 to 7 years. Students are not warned before signing up for this school or programs. Due to learning this in my third week of school in an animation major assembly, i had to rethink my college experience. I had to switch from the animation program to graphic design, to save me money.

The worst thing about my school is the number of students they are admitting and the number of classes they are offering because the latter makes it hard to get the credits that are needed to graduate. The budget cuts have really affected the school, they are admitting less students, including tranfer students. The amount of students in a class has also been reduced, which can be a positive thing if for students who actually make in the class. Hopefully, this is a temporary problem.

My dream of persuing my passion for dance in college has be unfulfilled due to budget cuts. The school will not allow me to take more than fourteen credits, so my goal to become a teacher and dancer is unattainable. Instead, I must spend all of my units on preparing for teaching, leaving no space for exploring other interests. This year fees have been increased and classroom time has been decreased. I have the motivation to take more classes, but the budget is holding me back.

The worse thing at SJSU is the lack of consistency among departments. It is sometimes difficult to keep track of how work needs to be when each instructor has different expectations and requirements on the assignments given. For example I have had three teachers (from different departments) each assign an essay in a different format which makes it confusing when transitioning between assignments. But I do believe within each department the requirements are more consisten.