San Jose State University

« See more reviews of San Jose State University

Dear Anna Lelenoa, Are you excited to begin your senior year this fall? If not do not worry about it I am here to give you major advice and guide you through your final year of high school and transition into college. Let's start off by adjusting your schedule to make sure you sign up for appropriate classes that count as credit towards your high school diploma. Think about colleges that you are interested in and research requirements and due date so when college applications are due you have a head start. I can not stress this enough. Sign up for as much scholarships that you can, there is a ton of "free money" out there waiting to be awarded. Once your accepted into a college, sign up for orientation a.s.a.p that way you have priority on signing up for classes, meal plan, and housing. When you receive your class schedule order books online it's cheaper. College is a whole different world from high school, ask for help and take advantage of the resources on campus. Lastly be yourself, make new friends, and enjoy your experience to the fullest. Best Regards Anna Lelenoa, Anna Lelenoa

What advice I would give prospective college students is what I have found most important as a university student: college is a holistic thing. When selecting and attending a school, a student must keep in mind the following things: environment, education, and personal requirements. The location and atmosphere of a campus and its city are important because they really will become the student?s new home. Preferences of bustling city life or the serenity of nature must be kept in consideration for mental, physical, and emotional well-being. The school of choice should be one in which the student can most explore themselves and their career. They should be able to learn not only how best to satisfy their professions, but how to exist as members of a world culture and world society. A successful PERSON will apply their college experiences and growth not only to their job, but their life, relationships, and dreams. Personal requirements may exist in the physical world, such as special considerations for disabilities; the mental world, such as class size preference and the necessity of diversity; or the spiritual world, which must not be ignored, as it is essential for the happiness of many people.

There are numerous criteria that must be considered when applying to college, such as location, costs, campus resources, social life, and quality. There are a few major criteria that are integral in choosing the college best suited to an individual. The first is the quality and reputation of a college?s major department. Choosing a school whose major program is esteemed allows the student to gain optimal instruction while in the final years of their academic career. Many employers know the reputation of college?s and are more willing to hire graduates of lauded departmental programs. Because the purpose of college is to gain a venerable and satisfying occupation, it is integral to be acquainted with professors and associates who are strong players in their particular field. Admission into a college that has well-regarded faculty can be key in securing job opportunities after college; working with said professors in an internship or job can be satisfying work as well as being impressive on a resume. Finally, choose the college that offers what you want. College is a way of life that can really only be lived through once. Enjoy it, but do not lose sight of the end goal.

Having a very eclectic and diverse background I often find myself looking for the right place to fit in. At San Jose State University, upon transfering to this inner-city university, I was immediately approached by members of clubs which made me feel like I belonged. Since day one I have been challanged by professors to succeed academically, I have even been awarded the Ronald E. McNair Scholarship because of my diverse background, which enabled me to get training to go to graduate school. A Valuable education is demonstrated by the availability of financial aid and resources that will help students get ahead, which can be seen at San Jose State University. Furthermore, San Jose State University has always subdued an environment that calls for social change. I have always been worried about others and how to fix our problems in America, such as weak health care, unemployment, and poverty. I have been able to succesfully fight for these causes at San Jose State University because both the professors and the students are always thinking about these issues and looking for ways to change them. Value and experience can be found at San Jose State University .

I want to change the world. This near-idealistic positive attitude that I can achieve that goal is a result of a life-changing experience at the Leadership Today Retreat. The intense workshops, activities, and discussions on discrimination (e.g., racial, sexual, financial, physical) broke me down to tears. After the four days, however, I learned that I needed to break down before I could build myself up. I needed to witness the effects of not speaking up, not taking action, and most importantly, not educating myself on local and global such issues. Education is often thought of as math, science, history, and English. In its Latin root, however, education can also mean the step out of darkness. One form of darkness can sometimes be ignorance of the dynamics in human interaction. If my Canadian study abroad experience made me want to help others, Leadership Today made me realize I NEEDED to help others. Undergraduate studies may be a time to become an ?expert? on a subject, but it is more importantly a time to become a better citizen. In addition, it is easy to think, but it harder to act. College is a great time to act against discrimination.

Although I know that friends are easy to find and make, I have always put myself in fear with the thoughts of meeting new people. When I was a high school senior, I would stress out about the college life. I would thoughtlessly imagine myself to be the loner, the loser, the outcast. I have even heard stories of professors who barely know their students and that made me more nervous. My preparation for college was a disaster. If I could travel back in time, I would advise myself to relax and enjoy the transition to college for it brings wonderful experiences. There are numerous students with various personalities on campus. Surely, I would be able to find one that connects with me. My younger self should be assured that many of the freshmen are just as--if not more--nervous. Therefore, I shouldn't feel like an outcast to the college experience. Contrary to the cold-blooded professor myth, I would describe to myself how my professors are friendly and passionate in teaching. They would seek to interact with their students and try to help them achieve success. My professors will be the critical factors to my success.

For young people in doubt of a career path, often saying that they just want to ?help people,? choosing a major can feel overwhelming. However, I found that it can actually be a fun experience. The keys are taking your time and sampling classes in as many different fields as possible, especially ones that you disliked in the past. If you can find great teachers who truly love their field, their interest in the subject may rub off on you. You may end up switching majors a few times, but it?s easier now than switching careers later in life when you have a family. Another problem is that stress from college life can build up over time and damage your mental and physical health if you don?t cope well. I discovered that regular aerobic exercise is one of the most effective techniques for managing stress. It reduces the negative biological effects of stress on the body while helping you relax, making it easier to handle your responsibilities. If you can combine this advice with time-management skills, you will probably make it through college as a healthy individual with a good idea of what you want to do.

This question has revisited my mind frequently ever since I finished my Freshman year at San Jose State University. The number one tip I would tell myself if I had this time travel opportunity would be to take multiple colleges classes as a junior and senior in high school. College is expensive, which in turn imbues the students' life with stress and anxiety about monetary needs. Before every semester I have barely acquired the necessary amount of money in order to continue my education. And this constant financial worry has been looming over my head and has become sort of an impediment in my daily life. When I go back in time to talk to my high school self, I will say, "take at least 4 online colleges classes!" For one, they are free when you're in high school and it will prepare you for the academic transition in college. Secondly, If you take at least 4 college classes, you can save thousands of dollars that you would have spent on tuition, books, parking fees, and so on and so forth because you will have completed a semester's worth of college. Note to past self, TAKE COLLEGE CLASSES!

There is so much that I have recieved out of my college experience. Here is a list of all that I have recieved during my college experience. 1: A great education in a field that I love and have a passion for. I have recieved an Associates Degree of Applied Science in Veterinary Technology. 2: Respect. I have a great respect for teachers who love their job. I have found that teachers that love their job seem to teach better. 3: Friends. Priceless friends that will stay with me forever and always. 4: Knowledge. Knowledge in helping those around me and giving back to the community. 5: Reverence, for hard work and those who work hard to achieve their goals. I have spent the past two years as a full time student, taking 19 credits every quarter and working hard toward my goal. 6: Rewarded. Rewarded for all the hard work I have put towards my goals. 7: Determined. Determined to continue striving toward achieving new goals. My college experience has been most valuable to my personal growth. I have learned and gained all of the above during my college experience and would not change it for the world.

Choosing the right college or university is a difficult thing for most seniors or first time college students. Prospective students to any college or univeristy should really do the research on where they really want to go. Students and parents need to really look at the surronding area of the campus because on any student's spare time, they are going to want to be free. College to some students is defined as a place of higher learning and freedom from everything holding them back. My parents game me the option of letting me choose my own school because they said that choosing the right school is the first step into the real world. They were right because I learned how to live on my own without any support from them whatsoever. Attending school away from home is what most college students want to do from what I've learned. College allows students to live their lives the way they want to live. It allows them to be their own individuals. College allows you to be you without worrying what anyone thinks about you because it doesn't matter. College is a step in the right direction for anyone.