San Jose State University

« See more reviews of San Jose State University

I wish I knew I was stronger than I thought. SJSU offers so many amazing opportunities for students to grow. It is literally possible to go to China, Mexico, and Austria within one year without going through a traditional study abroad program. Fear usually got in my way of growing. Because of lack of confidence, I prevented myself from attending office hours, meetings, and workshops. I avoided everything that could have helped me discover opportunities for more education, networking, adventure, and identity development. The gym offered a trip to do a Yosemite Half Dome hike. Fear got to me again.

I wish I had known more about the career prepartion and internship programs. I had avoided internships because I needed support myself and found waitressing lucrative enough to do so. However, in my senior year I discovered that many businesses were offering students well-paid internships and that career center was a resource. In either case, I do not I feel that by the time I graduated, I well enough prepared to begin my career. I knew little about the actual careers available in field and found entry-level positions to be limited in availability.

Before I came to this school, I only wish I had known that it is perfectly okay to be yourself. That there is a place for everyone in college, and that nobody is considered an "outsider". If I had known sooner, I might have been much more outgoing and cheerful during my first semester in college, and i would have surrounded myself with other people with similar interests, instead of hastily asking a few other guys if I could move in with them next year because I needed to find a place close to campus. It didn't work out.

I think that the most difficult aspect of going away to College right out of High School and being required to live in the Campus Housing, is learning how to live with other people that you don't know. I wish I had known about what Freshman do once that they are out of their parents home. I find it extremely difficult to understand why they drink and carry on like children. I value my education, I wish I had have known that others may take their education for granted and not appreciate their opportunity in education.

One needs to manage responsibility and priority so their will be more moral and ethical decisions you have never faced before. Time is a major issue; one must be able to decide whether to participate co-curricular activity. One must always be prepared for classes because one may get a good or bad teacher or may be distracted easily from large amount of students in classes. For every subject one must make time to study each day in order to get good grades. Creating a schedule is very important in order to manage time.

The number one thing I wish I had known before going to San Jose State University, SJSU, is how the environment of software engineering really is. Software engineering was the major I started with in SJSU but after midway through my second semester I realized it was not for me and I switched majors. I swithed to business administration in management information systems.which I enjoy. Another thing I wish I had known was where to look for housing. I rented a room off campus and did not like it so I moved out.

I wished someone told me that I could see what books I needed even before class started. I saved a lot of money going on my professor's website and looking at the syllabus to see what books were required. Then I ordered them on Amazon.com or Half.com for a lot cheaper than what they were offering in the Spartan Bookstore or Robert's Bookstore. Then, after you are done with finals, do not wait till last minute to sell your books. SIf you can't sell them at the Book Buybacks on campus, sell them online.

What I wished I knew before I came to this school was that there wasn't much housing on campus. San Jose State University is mainly a commute school, where students from around the Silicon Valley drive to school everyday. San Jose State University has five to six housing buildings, usually meant for international students, incoming freshmen and transfer students. However, there are numerous apartments/condominiums in the city that it seems unecessary for the school to have many housing buildings.

I wish I knew more about the area around the school becuase I am not from San Jose so I did not know what was around campus. I knew what was on campus from orientation. When I was first there, me and a friend from orientation spent about an hour walking around looking for a place to eat but all we saw were fancy resturants, clubs, clothes store, and big buildings. Later on I found out there were tons of fast food right across the street on the west side of campus.

I wish that I knew how unfriendly the downtown and surrounding areas are to college students. There are very little activities for people ages 18-20 to do with out spending a lot of money. No cute boutiques, record stores, book stores, all-night coffee shops, there are no stores you would think you could find in a college town. Because of this, the weekend are very dead and many students go home, or out of town, and party, shop and hang out at other campuses.