San Jose State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for San Jose State University

Eugene Greg

I have been attending San Jose State University for around three years and I would describe my experience as being mostly positive. Professors encourage their students to ask questions and they welcome conversation when they are free. Students are generally easy going and friendly. Being downtown, one is never too far from restaurants and shops. If you have a group of friends, you are never to far from a fun evening. Despite this, city does have a housing issue and some students struggle with affording a place to stay. To give the university credit, they do have programs to give students aid and assistance when they find themselves in trouble.

Camille

I've had a good experience so far mostly because I'm active with a cultural organization on campus called Akbayan and because I am apart of the Humanities Honors program which gives me a priority in registering for classes. However, there is a lot of reading to do for this program. In addition, being active in clubs takes away from any time for studying which can affect yours grades so it's important to build good time management skills,

Kassands

First choice school! Glad I'm here

Anmolpreet

San Jose state is a very diverse university where everyone has an equal opportunity to learn. We have great teachers who are always available to help the students. The campus is also very beautiful and it is in downtown allowing students the change to explore the city. In my opinion San Jose State University created a great achedemic environment for all its students.

yovanna

I love the diversity and the campus. I put myself out there and met wonderful people and professors who are helping me network. The teachers are kind if you get to know them and it is alive with progressive ideas and tolerance for those of any sexuality, gender, religion, able-body abilities, race/ethnicity or social economic class. The students are alive with expanding culture and understanding. I love my campus. This is a school for you if you wish to expand yourself as a person and have the drive to network in the Silicon Valley.

Hawa

The people here are very nice and it isn't difficult to make new friends even if it is just a small group. I am not in Greek Life and I have been able to befriend others so I'd say there isn't such a big emphasis on it maybe it's because the campus is so large. There is a lot to do since its in Downtown SJ although beware sometimes it can be a bit dangerous in downtown overall I don't see anything wrong with the school it's only my first year but the teachers I've been able to have are really great at their jobs and they consistently show effort so you actually feel like learning even if it's a subject you dislike.

Jasmine

I believe San Jose State University has a variety of courses offered to each major that will help them in their future career. There are many programs that help students succeed on campus. The environment is great and I can't wait to be a graduating class of Fall 2018.

Marijane

I have only been to San Jose State for a year but I love it. The community is wonderful and the students love to give back to each other with free food or other events happening on campus. All of my peers have been supportive and understanding, and faculty are there when you need them.

Graciela

San Jose States mantra emphasizes diversity and inclusion. At this institution, I have developed families away from home whether it be my new found group of best friends or the organizations I am a part of. I lived in Joe West Hall during my freshman year and grew extremely close to them, friends I still hang out with whenever time permits. I am also a part of a couple of organizations on campus, which have assisted me in my social networking. This school cares about its students for this they have various resources and staff you can turn to for help. Although I am used to the guidance of my parents, at this school being independent is quite easy. As for my overall opinion of San Jose State, I just have to say I am glad I chosee this insitutation to spend the best 4 years of my life at.

Hailey

San Jose State is more of a school for commuting students. I do not feel like there is much involvement within the school expect for the freshmen, aside from that not many people go to sporting events, homecoming, or other promoted campus activities.

Caleb

There are plenty of things to do, and if you are living on campus it is very easy to meet people and make new friends. There are plenty of sports, but most of the money is spent on football even though the team is not the best. There are teachers who are very involved, but then there are teachers who are not really involved, but the good ones usually get picked pretty early in the class selection process.

Overall, i do think that there could be more improvements made by San Jose State University. There are some professors where I don't understand why they even have a job because it's a waste of time going to their class. I don't believe that the school budgets their money well. Students could be paying less in tuition if they would just not have some of the stupid events that they do have. You always hear the "free" events or items that the campus gives out, but it's all things that are coming out of my tuition and I'd prefer to have less tuition to be paid then the campus giving out "free" supplies.

Vanessa

My overall experience at San Jose State has been well. There was a period when I struggled to meet new people and get myself involved, but once I feel like you get comfortable you will do fine. There are many clubs that always open their arms to you.

Valerie

My first time coming to San Jose State University was on an AVID trip my junior year of high school. I immediately knew that this was the college that I wanted to attend. My first impression of the school was that it was very beautiful and that it was well kept. I also fell in love with how many extracurriculars and academic services they offered. Now that I am a student here, the experience is overwhelming. The student life and academics are great. Although there have been some issues with the academic departments and staff, SJSU is a great school that accommodates everyone.

Mariana

It's a small and beautiful campus that offers a variety of majors and courses. The professors are cool and easy accessible. There are many resources if one needs help with a class, financial aid, food, major advising, etc. Also, there's a lot to do on campus or downtown that allows for fun and involvement. The health center is a nice idea; however, it's not very convinient in terms of hours and limited staff. It's also a party school. The downtown location in addition to being in the Silicon Valley makes off campus housing expensive.

Tiffany

The professors truly wish to see their students succeed. You'll have so much fun as you develop and nurture your artistic ability. The theatre department is close-knit, but be afraid to get involved! Work on as many shows as you can!

ron

Its a really fun and social campus. Living here is one of the best decisions i have ever made. The weather out here couldbe harsh at times but its something to get used to. Greek life and common areas around the dorms are the best social areawhere people can live and socialize with maturityand no judgment.

Laura

I love this school! Every student is always kind and always interested to know more about you. Furthermore, we are in the center of huge and small companies hence if a student is looking to major in business this is a great school to start. There is also so many internships waiting for students.

Carlos

San Jose State is a very spirit orientated school. You can see the spartan pride everywhere around the school. You can also see people interested in their academics and willing to help out their fellow classmates if they are in need of help. People here are also very friendly and willing to help if you need it. As well as the opportunities that are offered to the students is massive and I know me and other students are grateful for the massive amounts of opportunities that are offered by this college.

Sophie

It is a nice school with a beautiful campus. The school is relatively small, but not small enough for everyone to know everyone. It is a very good school for biology and engineering and there are many professions here to help you. I also think the students are often very social on campus.

Carmen

My daughter really liked the school because the psychology program is not impacted. Her freind will also be attwending SJSU. Even tbought it far from home she feels she will benefit from attending SJ because she felt a good vibe . She said sje saw alot of students working together in groups.

Yadira

The professors truly care about the success of the students. They are available during office hours and are easy to communicate with. Resources are easy to find. Campus environment is calm and fun. Not too much partying or noises. Very busy campus because it's public and in downtown.

Annie Thu

San Jose State University is known to be some of the best public school comparing it to all other CSU. However, due to a huge amount of international students coming into San Jose State, the fight for classes are a long and drastic battle. Sexual assaults happen frequently on campus. Counselors and office staffs are almost always rude and not helpful. Overall if you just want a degree within 4 years or less, I would greatly recommend you to stay away from San Jose State.

Guadalupe

My opinion on San Jose State University is that it's a school with a lot to give. With the school being located in the center of downtown San Jose, you can do so many different activities on and off campus. With a friendly environment and chill vibe, you can be sure you will feel at home in no time.

Katrina

I love SJSU. I think it is a great environment. There are a lot of different clubs and sports for people to join and make friends. All my professors are very passionate about what they teach and do their best to encourage students. SJSU is also building a brand new sports center but too bad I will probably graduate before it is finished.

Vidisha

True diversity

Edith

San Jose has many opportunities for students to get involved on and off campus. There are so many majors that even go into specifics so finding your major should not be that difficult. The biggest issue San Jose State has is housing. 3% of students reported to be homeless in 2018.

William

It is one of the cheapest universities where you can get a college education, besides going to a community college. The people are respectable, as long as you respect others as well. There are good professors and bad professors. It is a matter of choosing which ones to learn from and how you apply your circumstances to improve yourself. However many of the professors are considerably more brilliant than your first impression. Just be wary of second-hand smoke, because there are still some smokers even though it is a purportedly a smoke-free campus.

Xin

It's not too small, but not too big. It's located smacked right in downtown San Jose, easy access to nearby small shops, but hard to get to the bigger places. It's not dangerous, but it's not safe around school either. Walking downtown after sunset may seem like walking through Oakland, even with all the street lights, unwelcoming glares flash at you from different angles. School-wise, everything pretty much is within hands reach--well for me that is. A walk to class can be somewhere between five to fifteen minutes. The upperclassmen are pretty friendly and so are my classmates. Professors may be strict, but they really push you to do your very best. Makes me feel proud that I was accepted to this college of two century history, and to one of the most affordable animation majors in the country.

Allison

I enjoy it and i will be returning in August of this year as a sophomore and I’m duper excited of what is to come. I love being a spartan. Personally, all of my professors have taught me well and have encouraged me so deeply to do my best on college whether i May feel differently because no matter what I’m able to do the very best i can througjout my college career.

It's a very diverse campus. Unfortunately there aren't many things to do in the downtown area unless you're 21 or older. The campus is a decent size but it's in the middle of downtown San Jose. Also, most people that come here commute rather than stay on campus. Living in downtown is also expensive.

Josephine

I just wrapped up my freshman year at San Jose State, and I found it to be really enjoyable. There's definitely something for everyone, from the tons of clubs that hold informational booths in our plaza, to the variety of on campus jobs that are available to students and San Jose residents. I've found that it doesn't take a lot to make this place feel like home, as long as you go out and get involved. I personally love the physical look and layout of the campus, everything is super accessible and it's nice to sit out on the many lawns, especially when it's sunny out! I'm pretty satisfied with my choice in attending SJSU and I think it's definitely a good school to consider.

Attending San Jose State University (SJSU) was one of the best decisions I've made. All of the professors I had were passionate about the subjects they taught and went above and beyond to help students succeed. SJSU offers amazing services and opportunities to students. For example, I was able to be a student clinician at SJSU's speech-pathology/audiology clinic, which provided me with invaluable hands-on experience in my field. Although I lived at home throughout my time at SJSU, I still felt like I was getting the "college experience" by attending fun on-campus events, such as Fire on the Fountain. I am proud to be an alumnus of SJSU and am grateful for the exceptional education I received at this university. Spartan Up!

mikayla

There are many programs for students to be involved in the community and many fun events for people to meet others and get free stuff. Teachers are open to any questions and are there to help you. Facilities are open when convenient to most people. Overall great university!

Cyra

San Jose State University(SJSU) is one of the oldest CSU around in California, therefore I have a high level of respect for such CSU. The professors and staff are supportive and encourage inclusion, people feel welcome and safe there. The instuctors vary in helpfulness, I had one professor who was never available and I had other professors who made time for me after class. Most of my peers are knowledgeable and friendly, I find SJSU to be a outgoing university that definable fits the “college life” experience.

Kevin

SJSU has an amazing campus and not too big! The teachers are very intuitive and helpful when you need them. The technology used here is top notch, but every now and then you'll see one of those old projectors that you write on the transparencies. Highly recommended.

jessenia

San Jose State is a great school academic wise but as far as having a great college experience, it is not the best. It is a commuter school located in the middle of San Jose which means that it is dirty and filled with transients. It would be a better school if there were more events going on to help students socialize and if it were less crowded so students can actually get the classes they need.

Portia

San Jose State in an underrated school with excellent professors who are always willing to help. Come prepared to learn, work hard and you will succeed. Campus life is a buzz across the quads as students engage in fairs, booths and markets. There's a farmer's market truck that comes weekly and the library is amazing. You can always find a place to sit and eat, study or hang out with friends if you look in the right spots.

Jobelle

The school has a very diverse student population and I am proud to be a part of the campus. In terms of academics, the departments try their hardest to accommodate for all students and I believe that this school has an overall good learning environment.

Vianey

Every opinion differs, and as a struggling student in San Jose State University, the campus has certain things that are obvious on what things you should do and what you should avoid. Basic overall tip for everyone is: your professors are what determines if you pass or not and the connections that you make can GREATLY help you.

Rafael

My overall opinion of San Jose state is that it is a perfect fit for me. I feel this way because the school has a lot to offer such as their humanities honor program that I am interested in and their new recreational center that will open up by the end of spring next year.

Rebecca

I have always been an introvert so I do not really talk to that many people at school. I also live very close to SJSU so I am not living on campus. This means that I am not as involved with the school since I am only there when I have classes. I am in the middle of my second year here and I feel a lot more comfortable going around campus than I did when I was a freshman.

Ngoc

San Jose is known for its excellence across the state such as the faculty, current facilities, , the student organizations as well as extracurricular activities. I am seeking a Bachelor of Business and would like to earn my degree at San Jose

Daisy

There are a variety of fun clubs and extra curricular activities that students can attend all year long! Academics are great and the location is perfect since it's in downtown San Jose—there's always something new to check out. I don't recommend taking any night classes since it can be dangerous at night. Other than that, it's a great school. I've enjoyed my past 3 years as an nutritional sciences undergraduate student.

Cristal

It's a great school very well involved in what's happening in the world such as the presidential election that happened recently. SJSU students organized a protest that toke place downtown and later went to the freeway. We got our voices heard and expressed how we felt about our soon to be president. Also clubs at SJSU help raise money for those in need and donate food. As well as organize days for students to come study and eat tasteful food during finals. To help them stress less and conversate with others helping them grow their circle.

Nicolasa

San Jose State University is an exciting campus in downtown San Jose. The dining commons leave much to be desired as most things there are sweet and salty but is still edible. Luckily there is a lot of good food in the area and many grocery stores nearby so the dining commons isn’t the only option. Overall, I like San Jose State, my fellow students are serious and studious when they need to be and my instructors have been very helpful with assisting material understanding via intelligent conversation.

It’s a good school for the money

Emrica

San Jose State University provides the climate for students to learn and develop practical skills. There is a chance for everyone to explore their passion. The diversity among students and faculty allow you to learn different cultures and perspectives.

valerie

San Jose State is a very popular school. This school brings chills just with stepping into it. The environment makes you feel at home. The surroundings of San Jose State will always give you something to do. Its a local school that can benefit people in many different ways.

Gisselle

Great campus, easy to figure out. Almost all teachers are fair, enthusiastic and teach really well. There are always events going on to encourage peer interaction/collaboration. Game days were always a blast! Parking was a difficult process- the lots were regularly full and there were not many options for street parking. I was late to class a few times simply because it took 20 min to find parking.