San Jose State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for San Jose State University

Patricia

San Jose State is a great school. It is located in downtown San Jose, so there is always something to do. It is a great school for a vast range of majors, from engineering to digital arts, San Jose has it all. There is also a lot of diversity on campus. Greek life is very active as well, hosting many events year round to allow students to get involved. Overall, San Jose State is a great school!

Sebastian

I liked it a lot. It was very nice and the ambient was cool. Nice weather as well

Olivia

I am happy to be enrolled at San Jose State. I experience a quality education, and have been introduced to so many people similar to me and whom I hold dear. We all share a passion for this institution and are proud to be Spartans! The campus is alive and there is never a dull evening. Most of all, this campus cares. This campus stands for social justice and the equality of all. I am beyond thrilled to spend another 3 years here.

Angelique

Moving from SoCal to NorCal was an experience to me. But San Jose State University has made me feel welcome! I love all my friends here and am glad to constantly have a support system with me. Tutoring is always available and it is always highlighted in my classes, just in case students need a little extra help in their studies.

Alyson

San Jose State University is a great school located in an opportunistic city for any students to grab internships. The professors are helpful, and there are many resources on campus to go to if you need help academically. The community is very strong and the Spartan pride is always high when you walk onto campus.

Katharine

San Jose State University has given me opportunities that I would not be able to get at any other school. I am an animation student and am constantly involved in events and screenings put on by the program. My peers are like family and we inspire each other daily. Although there is the occasional use of drugs and alcohol by students, I do not feel unsafe or pressured on campus. I have had many experiences with opportunities for learning and growth.

david

The campus is amazing and the enviornment cannot be copied anywhere else since there is a great diversity and a great care between people. The people here all are welcoming and know when someone may not be frokm around and make them feel like they would at home rather than as an outsider.

Cooper

I have lived in San Jose my whole life and I always had a feeling I would end up going to SJSU. I think at first I had a pretty negative impression, however the school quickly grew on me and continues to prove to me that it was the right choice. We have great opportunities in business, engineering, and our study abroad programs are some of the best I've ever seen. I was overall glad I chose SJSU.

Patric

San Jose State is a great University, academically as well as extra curricular activities. there is a lot of opportunities to success, have fun and do what you like while you are in school. San Jose State was my first option since I started applying for a four-year college, and I feel really proud and happy I got accepted here, because I am going to have a great opportunity to excel, and continue playing soccer as it is one of my dreams and goals in life, and I am sure San jose state and its soccer program would be just the first step into this big dream. San Jose State makes students feel at home because of its variety of cultures and opportunities that they have for every student. I am really happy to be an Spartan.

Julienne

The school is not too bad. I like it here. The campus is not too big or small. It is just the right size. The campus is also beautiful, lots of green grass and trees. The library is helpful, the students and people are friendly. I would recommend to people.

Carina

In my opinion San Jose State University has its pros and cons. Academically its great because they have a variety of class sizes ranging from 20 people to 300. In addition, most teachers have office hours for help outside the classroom and the library on campus is also an excellent place to study. The campus also has a lot of resources and job opportunities nearby. Another great thing about San Jose State is that everything is close by the campus: post offices, grocery stores, and great restaurants to go out and eat with friends. Sororities and fraternities are big at San Jose State and there is almost always parties on the weekends. However, something that could improve is campus safety. There has been a lot of sexual assault at school lately.

Michelle

On a surface level, people give harsh academic comparisons between San Jose State University and UC and other public or private schools. SJSU's admissions rate and requirements may not be the most appealing or competitive, but the environment and networking it provides is something to be discovered only on campus. Before visiting San Jose State University, I was very relectant about attending only because of the name. However, once I got to know the school better, I learned about all the netowrking and internship opportunities the school provided. I wasn't only looking forwards to the opportunities, but the potential real-world or life skills the environment at this school would be able to teach.

Tim

San Jose State is a very clean and diverse campus. The professors are extremely passionate about the subjects they teach and always do the best they can to make sure their students are successful. The campus offers many dining options in the student union and is within walking distance from other places to eat off campus. The only drawback that comes with being so close the downtown area is that there are occasional crimes being committed in the area. The school does it's best to protect and alert students to these crimes every chance they get to make sure students are aware.

natasha

The teachers have been significant factors in shaping my personal growth as a student and my role in the workplace. However, there is a disconnect between departments that makes the the life of the student harder and more stressful than it needs to be. For example, the registrar's department has often lost important documents, such as graduation paperwork, which results in the student repeating a multi-faculty and department head signature process that can take up to a month to retrieve and process. Additionally, the current parking system is inefficient, as I have paid $200 for the semester for a parking permit, only to spend 30 min-1 hour on the chance at a parking space, plus added and unnecessary stress-- time that could be spent on studying.

Tara

Great online courses! The professors who teach online courses are easy to access and put everything online including the textbook, so you don't even have to buy textbooks. This is great for a working professional like myself who is going back to school. I appreciate that the library science graduate program is all online to better accommodate those who have additional responsibilities outside of school.

Ariyon

I am currently a freshman at San Jose State University. There are a lot of opportunities to explore options in fields that you may enjoy. The students and faculty are also extremely helpful. With that being said the school spirit is always up at an all time high, which is something that is also great for a 4 year university.

Malia

I believe San Jose State is a very diverse and welcoming University. I feel extremely safe at school. I feel that because it is such a diverse community that there are little to no issues between students. If anything I feel like as a community we encourage one another to be different and to be ourselves,

Trisha

I think San Jose state is a good school, however there are ways to make the school better. I feel like making sure each professor is more than qualified for their subject they are teaching and teaching them how to be more approachable for students. This is because I feel like some professors are very intimidating.

Crystal

Although I commute to school and don't live on campus, I enjoy the environment. I am not on campus enough to know everything that is going on or get to experience everything that's going on, but I do know how informative and active the students and staff are on campus. I plan and want to try on becoming more active on campus. I think this school is a great school. I have meet welcoming friends and professors.

Ulissa

Honestly, I have mixed feelings when it comes to SJSU. I enjoyed my time there, and (most) of my professors were fantastic human beings. I met a lot of people, made some friends and even some lifelong friendships. For the most part, I stayed focused on my studies. I learned a lot, graduated with honors, and felt (almost) prepared to go out in the real world. However, if you are looking for the typical college experience (dorms, campus events, parties, etc.), then SJSU is probably not for you. Like myself, a majority of the students commute and do not live on campus. While I was okay to go to class and leave right after, the lack of community at the campus could bum some students out. I look back and definitely feel like it would have been a better experience if there were more activities and events to get involved with. Overall, whether you will enjoy your time here really depends on what type of experience you are after. Good luck!

Cameron

Overall, my opinion of San Jose State University is that the campus is beautiful, I love to sit down on campus lawn and study or do homework. The weather is always changing but I love it. The professors here are great, very understanding and always try to be available to students. I am glad I picked San Jose, the school, greek life, atmosphere is what I love about this school and would recommend for other students to apply because of.

Jahleel

The students you meet are people who you will never forget. Each one will have a story to tell you and will create a personal relationship with you. The overall diversity and different cultures being introduced creates a welcoming environment that accepts every gender and race.

Tiana

San Jose State is a great school to go to when in living in the area. They have very great programs that branch out to many different majors which gives a lot of students great opportunities here. There are lots of extracurricular activities on campus such as concerts, movie nights and cooking groups. It is a really fun school if you make lots of friends and stay on campus a lot.

Chris

San Jose State University was a great school to attend. I met a lot of good friends. It also grew my network because many of the people I met ended up staying to work in Silicon Valley. There was always something to do, either on campus or in Downtown San Jose (which offers a ton of bars, lounges, and restaurants, at several price points). Teachers are available to help during office hours, just make sure you either get in line early or make an appointment. Engineering offers tech talks which host several Silicon Valley leaders as keynote speakers every month.

Brianna

The school is pretty awesome, many people are active in the community and enjoy events put on on campus. The teachers have also been very nice and make sure everyone feels included, no matter what background they are from. The shops and food places around the area of campus are also very awesome.

Shuan

San Jose State University is a college based right in the heart of Silicon Valley; it is a school in a bustling urban region. The college has strong connections to good-paying jobs and allows for many internships because of quality networking. Many other aspects of the university are mediocre, which brings down the overall rating of the school.

Carmen

Personally I absolutely enjoy being a student here at SJSU. The diversity here is great and there is always something to do. I haven't had a bad experience here and I hope it will never happen. The more involved you are with the campus the more great experiences you'll have.

Thieu

San Jose State University is a good place to people to challenge themselves in academic, social, and sports. The facility is big, but it is not big enough to house 32,000 students. Teachers are friendly and easily approachable. Students are very diverse, so it is not hard to find something with a common interest to you.

Luis

I think it is a great school. It is a pretty live and active school. There is always small events going on. The school is much about involvement. The classes are good and the professors are helpful. The school is very diverse and peers are very motivating.

Sally

I really love the environment that the school and the students provide at this school. The palm trees and the welcoming greetings are a must at this school! Also, there are really good food places and if you are a bubble tea person, then this school is a great place for you!

Ivy

My overall opinion of San Jose State University is that it is a great school. The school is amazing and filled with many opportunities. They encourage you to be involved, interactive, and most importantly study. San Jose State urges you to do your best and stay on top of your work, so you can graduate in four years or less. Importantly they care about your safety and well being on campus. Overall I'm excited to start school this fall.

Alfin

Greattttttttttttttttttt

Lindsey

Obviously I enjoy San Jose State University because I have decided to enroll there for my Freshman year in college. When I had visited the college I had felt like I belonged there and had decided this is where I wanted to spend the next 4 years of my college career. I'm excited to spend my time as SJSU. Go Spartans!

Niayah

The school is a nice and has a good atmosphere around it.

Seth

I believe this school is very underrated. I was on the fence about attending right out of high school and I am glad I followed through with it. Not only was the campus immaculate when I first stepped foot on it, they have continued to improve and grow in my time there.

Anthony

Great school. Always room for improvement regarding everything. Much room to improve for on campus food. Some facilities are brand new while others are old and makes you wonder why it's still there and not torn down yet. Professors are hit or miss regarding quality.

Dominic

I liked my time here. As a local, I always thought that I would dread ending up at SJSU but to my delight I had a wonderful time and met some very smart peers and professors! I highly recommend SJSU even if you are a local high schooler and don't think it will be worth your time . IT WILL!

Allyson

San Jose State University was a great school for me. I competed on the D1 swim team there and had the best four years of my life. My coach and the athletic department were great. The professors were all supportive and accessible. The school is right in the heart of downtown making shops, restaurants, and fun hang outs all accessible.

Kiara

When I visited San Jose University I loved it as soon as I seen the buildings. The buildings were in different styles like there were made like that to easily find out where all classes are and won't get so lost especially if you're new to the school. The people there also are very diverse and are very outgoing.

Malea

I think this school is a great fit for me. San Jose State is located downtown area so many other options for weekends besides parties. The academic scene is fantanstic plenty of people who encourage other and are all for getting this degree! The campus is a nice size very walkable and if you live on campus it is even better. I love my suitemates and the college experience I have here will be one for the books.

Chukwudi

It's a good school, not to party hardy (mostly on the weekends Thursday-Saturday). On-campus housing is pretty decent all of Campus Village is quite nice, it's the older buildings that make you wonder if this is worth your money. Freshman who live on campus the first year are required to have a meal plan. The food is honestly really good, people just get ungrateful to have a place to eat when the food that they're eating (which is in good variety) is somewhat the same for 4 months. Academics are good, it really just depends on your teacher. As for extracurricular activities, there are a few things to do on and around campus but the benefit of SJSU is its distance from a lot of major bay area cities like San Francisco, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, etc.

Yudelka

I love the university! The community is very diverse and engaging. There's always something to do at SJSU and places that will help with academics. Everyone is usually helpful and welcoming. The only thing is that the school is since the school is open to everyone, you must be careful and be aware of your surroundings.

Luz

A very diverse school that has a lot to offer. The school has many resources the assure academic success. The school is big on education but is also about sports. Games are a big deal. We are in the heart of Silicon Valley so many SJSU students get good internships which usually leads to job after graduation.

Connie

Overall, I believe San Jose State University to be a school that is dedicated to making their students, both current and future, feel safe and that their voices matter. I do believe that our campus needs to have more classes because it is pretty hard to enroll in courses when they get full so quickly. I've had trouble this past semester when registering for my classes this current semester and it was extremely difficult to enroll in the courses I wanted and needed to take for my major. I am constantly worried about whether I would be able to graduate on time or declare my major before reaching 90 units because of the prerequisite courses that I needed to take were getting full before my registration date even came. For example, my second year at San Jose State University, I had a decent registration date being the eighth day of registration, but by the time it was the third day of registration, one of the courses I was planning on taking that was required for me to change my major was full and the instructors were not adding students either. The waitlist was also packed with over twenty students so there was no point really in joining the waitlist. Tuition is also another thing I worry about because it's been increasing every year and money I believe is an issue that most college students run into and can relate to with each other. I had a psychology course I took my freshman year and the textbook that was only available at the bookstore was $198 without tax included yet. It's a struggle being a student when money is an issue and prices are high for textbooks especially when textbooks at the campus bookstore cost more than outside sources.

Phillips

An exciting time to attend the university!!! Although I have not attended SJSU yet until the August of 2018, the school environment will provide me the greatest experience here at SJSU, academically and socially. The school is close to many stores and shops outside the campus.

Allison

San Jose State University is a great school for those pursuing Computer Science/Engineering. It is located in the heart of the Silicon Valley, where start-up tech companies such as Apple, Microsoft, & Google are located. Students have easy access to opportunities offered by these companies and many begin their careers there after college.

Gary

There are too many students on campus and offer little classes resulting in a shortage of some courses. Teachers are friendly and want students to become successful. Location is conveniently located in downtown along with different restaurants around and stores. Parking is difficult to find and the different parking lots fill quickly along with dorms overfilling. There is a diverse community attending San Jose State.

Francisco

In my opinion, San Jose is an overall good, clean school that has a lot of recourses in a prominent area that has a lot to offer. The teachers and staff are helpful and work for the students to make their college experience easier. It is barely my first year but I had a good first and lasting impression on the school.

Aaron

I believe that this school has a place for everyone. The student body and faculty here is well diverse. The school itself is very easy to navigate around. Overall I am glad that I have made, San Jose State, my home for the next couple of semesters.

Mariella

San jose state is a very welcoming school. In thw two years I have attended, the professors have been amazing and very interactive. If you need help with a class or anything, help is extremely easy to find. In addition, the students are nice and helpful.