San Jose State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for San Jose State University

emily

san Jose state has a friendly teacher and students, a very diverse population, and is an active and enjoyable campus. One of the great things about this school is that they offer a wide variety of services for students. They have a beautiful new gym on campus that is free to students. A student health center is located on campus which includes discounted prices for regular medical care (including women's health visits) and provides free counseling services to students. Additionally, there is always an event taking place on campus with fun games and free food.

I think it is a great school, especially my program, Animation/Illustration. The professors and community are amazing. But there are significant downsides to the school, such as the high cost of living, generally bad food, and lack of maintenance for services such as laundry.

WINTER

My overall opinion of San Jose State University is that its a great school, everyone is so welcoming. They clearly explain what they have to offer, they're very interested in your academic interest. The professors are there when you need them & are very understanding and willing to give you an opportunity as long as you put forth the effort.

Rebecca Jocelyn

San Jose State University had a lot of involvement on-campus, especially with its vast music programme which I am going for. The staff and students seem to be very civilised people, even though I didn't get to meet the students yet. San Jose State is a very safe and urban campus. I would highly recommend this university to a prospective student.

Karen

San Jose State University is meh. Nothing we do is over the top nor the best and if given another chance at choosing my college I don't know if I would pick it again. I will not say I regret it, but it definitely needs improvements in terms of putting its priority straight instead of in a losing football team.

San Jose State University is one of the most diverse, friendly, and caring universities there is. There are a lot of opportunities, not only academically, but also to become involved in the events that take place, without necessarily having to be in a frat or sorority. If you love having support, opportunities, and enjoy a nice view while walking to class, SJSU is the place for you.

eason

It is pretty cool. It seems like a lot of fun. The vibe there is amazing and there seems to be a lot of fun stuff to do all around. It does not seem like a campus you would be bored of quick. There are a lot of good classes to take as well and the campus is pretty nice.

Kathleen

Pretty good. The atmosphere is like no other. The school is generally very open and welcoming. The students are generally outgoing and easy to approach. The class sizes are also really good. You can get the small class sizes of a private school for much less money. The professors are top notch and are all field tested.

Denise

Beautiful and huge campus. The classes are big depending on the major of course but everyone is really nice and welcoming. I visited for one day and everyone answered my questions some professors even showed me how there classes are and how they work in class. I cant wait to attend in 2020

Galen

It is a really nice school, and it has many things to offer. I am looking forward to going to this university. Beautiful campus. All the schools in the silicon valley and in the San Francisco area do not fail to impress me. I expected San Jose State University to be a good school, and I do not fail to make a clear statement that this is the school home for many students.

Chris

As a recent SJSU alum I take pride in attending this school. I felt right at home coming from SoCal and living on campus my first year. SJSU is what you make of it so I looked to get involved right away. I became a resident advisor and joined greek life. From their I kept on joining clubs and organizations that interested me. The professors for the most part are great and the school does provide academic help. Advisors can be hit or miss sometimes but you need to do your part in ensuring you have the classes graduate. Overall I enjoyed my college experience here.

Dioni

SanJose State University is very good school, and its close to my family which is very important to me. Plus the school always changing for the better and making students able to adapt to campus live very easily which is absolutely great. Although I wish that some shops can be bit more nearby, but the school is still great and offers many opportunities.

Kelly

My first semester experience at San Jose Sate University has taught me a lot. First, the administration and other academic advisors can be a little difficult to reach because they are busy with many other students. Furthermore, the parking can be a big problem for commuters. Although many students pay for a pass, there still is never available parking spots. Adding on, there should be more activities for the general school population, besides clubs and other private organizations. Either way, I have had a very good first semester and defiantly was able to get involved with the school.

Matewos

loved it.

Soraya

San Jose State is commonly known as a "commuter school". Everyone will tell you that it's a mediocre school with little to no actual college experience offered to the students. That's not all true; San Jose State is mostly what you make of it. In my experience, you really have to appreciate the little things it has to offer. Sure, you're not attending UCLA or NYU. But there are still plenty of cute coffee shops nearby. The campus is teeming with diversity. Some of the professors are super awesome and you're surrounded by hardworking people. It still has its flaws; it's not the safest campus, especially if you're a girl. The parking is a mess. The food places have all been replaced by healthy imposter restaurants (we want Taco Bell!) The issue of homelessness is really prevalent with the amount of homeless people you run into on campus. And don't even get me started on the bathrooms *shudders*. If you're not housing on campus, then unless you really put yourself out there, you honestly won't feel like a college student. I never did unless I was in a club, at a concert, at a speaker event, you get the idea. Those who house on campus get the whole "broke college student with my own place living off of ramen noodles" vibe. Those who still live with their parents are more "on campus for an hour a week, just here for the coffee" whole thing going on. In short, San Jose State isn't terrible, but it can be mundane if you don't live on campus. It's just enough to get you a sufficient education and a good cup of coffee.

deborah

San Jose state university is a very nice diverse school. The staff and students are great and always ready to help. I enjoy spending time with my classmates and hanging out with them at school events. I participate in track which we all have a family bonding experience. I wouldn't want to go anywhere else.

Mikayla

San Jose State is a beautiful, diverse school, but campus safety is absolutely Awful. There have been times where homeless people walk into class and disrupt the lecture. The new sports facility is great to use and has a lot of up to date machinery, but there is not enough for everyone so many people are standing around waiting. There seems to always be construction going on too.

Oscar

What I think of SJSU is that It's a wonderful School and the cost isn't that much.I do fear that SJSU is a great school tuition could raise.I garante that you will be safe on that campus since there will always be access to call for an emergency. When I took a tour around SJSU, It was lovely and exciting to see how I would look with this community.

yennhi

San Jose State University is a greatly impacted school. The professors are excellent and care about their students a lot. They are available to meet outside of class to discuss topics in class that students may be struggling with. The resources available to students on campus are very helpful. Our campus offers a wide variety of resources that I did not know we had before coming here. Some of it includes the Writing Center, Print and Technology Center, Gender Equity Center, Accessible Education Center, and so much more! Located in the MLK Library, the Writing Center offers help for students to advance as writers. This resource specifically will help me when it comes to writing essays and research papers. Another service that will help me succeed in school is the Student Wellness Center. This service will come in handy if I am ever feeling stressed out or just need a place to relax. If I am going through a hard time, I am able to attend counseling and reflect on my thoughts. The classes that are offered here are very interesting. It is difficult to pick the classes you want if you have a late enrollment appointment. Orientation was very fun and I got to know a lot of people. I was very interested in becoming an Orientation Leader because I want to be make my college years as memorable as possible. I really enjoyed my orientation experience and had an amazing orientation leader. Being a leader for a group of new faces allows me to be open and outgoing in order to give them a sense of comfort here. Orientation is meant to be memorable, marking your first unforgettable encounter at your future home.

Anel

Of Course, San Jose State University needs some work but what educational institute perfect. Every school or department needs to grow with the times and create changes that will help students. The science department, specifically the chemistry department, at San Jose State is very much underrated. The faculty is exceptional and has a good list of publications. In the biochemistry side of the department, there are many young teachers with fresh approaches to the classroom. The labs are reasonably sized, so each student gets a good amount of hands-on time and practical experience.

Teddy

This university makes me feel that the US is now a 3rd world country! Make no mistake and avoid this place! Why aren't news casters reporting and investigating on the poor education system that is on the side of criminals rather than students and its own people? Someone needs to report these to the general public and protect their own people! This university gives people a hard time, not in a challenging way. I feel that I barely escaped by leaving the area as its been drastically hit by crime and poor government system. The system is NOT on the students side and is criminalized. There were people who were trying to fail students and their own people literally. Due to poor government structure the education system doesn't back up the students when instructors or staff are corrupt / take their anger out on students either. I feel sorry for anyone who has to go here as they often threaten students. Despite efforts to minimize crime in the US, it is just increasing because of the terrible government. Night hours are way unsafe! Couldn't go to class without having fear. I wish I didn't go to this school because of the criminalized systems of the US. Attend a different school if you can, this place is unsafe and harmful to students.